Mavs Retire No. 24 Jersey As Tribute To Kobe Bryant

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Mavs Retire No. 24 Jersey As Tribute To Kobe Bryant 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 am

The Dallas Mavericks announced that they have retired the No. 24 jersey as a tribute to Kobe Bryant.

Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash on Sunday.

"Kobe's legacy transcends basketball, and our organization has decided that the number 24 will never be worn by a Dallas Maverick," issued Mark Cuban in a statement. 

Via Mark Stein/The New York Times

Ayuandmi
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Mavs Retire No. 24 Jersey As Tribute To Kobe Bryant 

Post#2 » by Ayuandmi » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 am

Respect to Mark Cuban.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#3 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:55 am

Class move by Cuban
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#4 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 am

I don't like this. Retired jerseys are usually just marketing ploys. The Mavs should have no right to retire Kobe.

If the Mavs can retire Kobe, the Rockets should be forced to retire T-Mac.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#5 » by alienpick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:39 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I don't like this. Retired jerseys are usually just marketing ploys. The Mavs should have no right to retire Kobe.

The Heat retired Jordan’s 23, same thing. It’s called respect. They aren’t going to start selling Mavs jerseys with Kobe’s name on them, just like you can’t buy a Jordan Heat jersey.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#6 » by Badbobby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 am

alienpick wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:I don't like this. Retired jerseys are usually just marketing ploys. The Mavs should have no right to retire Kobe.

The Heat retired Jordan’s 23, same thing. It’s called respect. They aren’t going to start selling Mavs jerseys with Kobe’s name on them, just like you can’t buy a Jordan Heat jersey.

I don’t like it either tbh. To me it feels like a “who can claim the most mourning points” move. Instead of thinking about jersey retirements we should be thinking of Vanessa Bryant and the rest of the remaining Bryant family who has just lost a husband, father, daughter and sister, while also remembering the 7 other lives lost in this tragic event.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 am

Badbobby wrote:
alienpick wrote:

I don’t like it either tbh. To me it feels like a “who can claim the most mourning points” move. Instead of thinking about jersey retirements we should be thinking of Vanessa Bryant and the rest of the remaining Bryant family who has just lost a husband, father, daughter and sister, while also remembering the 7 other lives lost in this tragic event.

im sure cuban thought about the family.

some people man... i dont get it. Kobe was one of the best of my generation, it was my jordan. i never saw MJ live (not counting the wizards days), saw him only in docs, highlight videos and obvisouly rewatched some of the legendary games. But i remember trying to copy Kobe moves all through my childhood.. show some respect. every franchise can retire whatever number they want. and this makes me like the mavs a lot more and im a german, so its not that i didnt like them to begin with. but thats a grat show of respect and kobe and his family deserve all the respect in the world just like any other player.
im bout dat action boss
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#8 » by Batsy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:
Badbobby wrote:
alienpick wrote:

some people man... i dont get it. Kobe was one of the best of my generation, it was my jordan. i never saw MJ live (not counting the wizards days), saw him only in docs, highlight videos and obvisouly rewatched some of the legendary games. But i remember trying to copy Kobe moves all through my childhood.. show some respect. every franchise can retire whatever number they want. and this makes me like the mavs a lot more and im a german, so its not that i didnt like them to begin with. but thats a grat show of respect and kobe and his family deserve all the respect in the world just like any other player.

Agreed with everything you said, this is a class act move by MC during a difficult time. People will find a way to complain about anything.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#9 » by Badbobby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:16 am

Batsy wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
Badbobby wrote:

Agreed with everything you said, this is a class act move by MC during a difficult time. People will find a way to complain about anything.

It’s about timing and making the correct gesture. So no player should ever be able to wear #24 again? No up and coming kid that has been inspired since childhood to emulate Kobe? Does this mean that Wilt’s number should also be retired, another great that was lost too soon? What does it mean for the franchises who don’t retire his number? Did they “not care” about Kobe?

I’m not complaining, I’m giving my opinion, something that the comments section is for. Name-calling and branding someone as a complainer does nothing to further the debate about the best way to memorialise a legend.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Post#10 » by perempe20 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am

I'd rather watch Luka score 81 points or beat the Lakers in the playoffs.
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#11 » by RondoToKG » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Badbobby wrote:
Batsy wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:

It’s about timing and making the correct gesture. So no player should ever be able to wear #24 again? No up and coming kid that has been inspired since childhood to emulate Kobe? Does this mean that Wilt’s number should also be retired, another great that was lost too soon? What does it mean for the franchises who don’t retire his number? Did they “not care” about Kobe?

I’m not complaining, I’m giving my opinion, something that the comments section is for. Name-calling and branding someone as a complainer does nothing to further the debate about the best way to memorialise a legend.

exactly
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#12 » by Sublime187 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Badbobby wrote:
Batsy wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:

Why do we have to analyze everything to death? To dissect it to smithereens? He did it as a gesture to a legend and for his family. Cant we just leave it at that? A kind gesture and not look into him trying to show up other teams? Just f****n ridiculous.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#13 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 pm

alienpick wrote:

It's not the same thing. One person died and the other is alive. It's fairly different. But the Heat shouldn't have done that either. Makes no sense for the Heat to retire Jordan's jersey. With regards to Jordan and Miami, It is just taking away meaning from other teams.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#14 » by artsncrafts » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm

perempe20 wrote:I'd rather watch Luka score 81 points or beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

The only way anyone can score 81 points is against the Raptors and he only plays them twice a year so its unlikely.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Post#15 » by perempe20 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm

artsncrafts wrote:The only way anyone can score 81 points is against the Raptors and he only plays them twice a year so its unlikely.

81 or more against any team.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#16 » by artsncrafts » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm

perempe20 wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:The only way anyone can score 81 points is against the Raptors and he only plays them twice a year so its unlikely.

81 or more against any team.

It was a joke.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
alienpick
Starter

Post#17 » by alienpick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:
alienpick wrote:

It's not the same thing. One person died and the other is alive. It's fairly different. But the Heat shouldn't have done that either. Makes no sense for the Heat to retire Jordan's jersey. With regards to Jordan and Miami, It is just taking away meaning from other teams.

The Heat retired Jordan’s number out of respect for what he did for the game of basketball and the NBA. Granted the Mavs retirement was kind of a knee-jerk reaction, but it was for the same reason. How many people picked up a ball and started playing the game because of Kobe? I know a lot.
alienpick
Starter

Post#18 » by alienpick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:15 pm

artsncrafts wrote:
perempe20 wrote:I'd rather watch Luka score 81 points or beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

The only way anyone can score 81 points is against the Raptors and he only plays them twice a year so its unlikely.

You’re not dropping 81 on these Raptors.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#19 » by lonea » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm

The whole league should retire 24
floppypoppy
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#20 » by floppypoppy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm

solid PR move. i don't like it.
marketing is never about class or respect.

Return to Wiretap Discussion