Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#141 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 am

VCfor3 wrote:I think the two most likely potential Iggy trades are Lee+2020 GSW 2nd with Dallas or Harkless+Robinson+2021 DET 2nd with the Clippers. Feels like Crowder may stay to keep mentoring the young guys because the way he is playing most teams won't give anything up for him.

Now that you're mentioning it, it makes me wonder if Crowder could be throwing his value sorta speak to keep from being traded anywhere. The guy has been trade three times within the last three years I think....

Boston to Cleveland to Utah and now Memphis.

That's a whirlwind to be caught up in the last three seasons. Speaks to lack of stability and nomadic nature of the journeyman.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#142 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:54 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think the two most likely potential Iggy trades are Lee+2020 GSW 2nd with Dallas or Harkless+Robinson+2021 DET 2nd with the Clippers. Feels like Crowder may stay to keep mentoring the young guys because the way he is playing most teams won't give anything up for him.

Now that you're mentioning it, it makes me wonder if Crowder could be throwing his value sorta speak to keep from being traded anywhere. The guy has been trade three times within the last three years I think....

Boston to Cleveland to Utah and now Memphis.

That's a whirlwind to be caught up in the last three seasons. Speaks to lack of stability and nomadic nature of the journeyman.

I think the problem is that he isn't a great 3pt shooter but he is embracing the new "let-it-fly" system. A lot of his looks aren't great and he is shooting a terrible percentage. If he had a smaller role on offense and could just be a glue guy on defense he'd look better.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#143 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Minnesota trade - (DIeng, Covington) for (C.Lee, Hill, Utah 2022 top 4 protected, GSW SRP via Dallas).

Dallas trade - (C.Lee, GSW SRP) for (Iggy)

Memphis trade - (Iggy, Hill, Utah 2022 top 4 protected) for (Dieng, Covington)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#144 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Minnesota trade - (DIeng, Covington) for (C.Lee, Hill, Utah 2022 top 4 protected, GSW SRP via Dallas).

Dallas trade - (C.Lee, GSW SRP) for (Iggy)

Memphis trade - (Iggy, Hill, Utah 2022 top 4 protected) for (Dieng, Covington)

I think someone may beat that offer tbh.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#145 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

From Dunc'd on Podcast Mock Trade Deadline:

Trade 1:
LAC out: Harkless, Robinson, 2021 DET 2nd, 2023 DET 2nd
MEM out: Iggy

Trade 2:
POR out: Ariza, 2020 1st (Lottery protected in 2020, 2021 (maybe some reverse protections as well?), 2022 and then is 2022 2nd)
MEM out: Crowder, maybe a 2nd

I like the Iggy trade as much as any of the other potential returns that are likely out there for him. I think there is a chance those could be decent 2nds so no complaints here. The Crowder trade feels like Portland is giving up too much.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#146 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm

VCfor3 wrote:From Dunc'd on Podcast Mock Trade Deadline:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:
POR out: Ariza, 2020 1st (Lottery protected in 2020, 2021 (maybe some reverse protections as well?), 2022 and then is 2022 2nd)

I like the Iggy trade as much as any of the other potential returns that are likely out there for him. I think there is a chance those could be decent 2nds so no complaints here. The Crowder trade feels like Portland is giving up too much.

Crowder 7m for Ariza 12m, gives Portland a 5m TE. They're currently 11m in the repeater tax. The trade saves them significant money.

The protection makes it so that if the trade doesn't help them into the playoffs this year, the pick is most likely a 2nd for the 5m TE.

IMO, it's a balanced trade.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#147 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Crowder 7m for Ariza 12m, gives Portland a 5m TE. They're currently 11m in the repeater tax. The trade saves them significant money.

The protection makes it so that if the trade doesn't help them into the playoffs this year, the pick is most likely a 2nd for the 5m TE.

If they don't make the playoffs this year, they likely convey us a 1st next year in a better draft. So we either get a pick just outside the lottery or a pick 16-24 in a better draft. They got wrecked with injuries and still are close to the 8th seed. Having Collins and Nurk all season would be big for them. This also ties their 1st up for a couple years which is very inconvenient. I think you need the protections to be lottery protected in 2021 and then it immediately converts to a 2nd or two. We also probably need to add that 2nd and even then I don't feel super great about the deal for them.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#148 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

If they don't make the playoffs this year, they likely convey us a 1st next year in a better draft. So we either get a pick just outside the lottery or a pick 16-24 in a better draft. They got wrecked with injuries and still are close to the 8th seed. Having Collins and Nurk all season would be big for them. This also ties their 1st up for a couple years which is very inconvenient. I think you need the protections to be lottery protected in 2021 and then it immediately converts to a 2nd or two. We also probably need to add that 2nd and even then I don't feel super great about the deal for them.

Looks like I didn't read the protections correctly,

Still.

Portland salaries w/ Baze+Tolliver $145.2 mil + $22.75 mil luxury tax penalty=$167.95 mil bill at the end of the season

Salaries w/Ariza+Swanigan+Gabriel $140 mil + $11.7 mil luxury tax penalty=$151.7 mil bill

Salaries w/Crowder $135m + $7m luxury tax penalty = $142m bill

Portland used a that step ladder trade to first save 5m for Ariza, then 5m for Crowder being within the trade rules.

You can watch it straight like they traded Bazemore, mid to late first 20 or 21 for Crowder's expiring, roughly 25m savings. While getting a serviceable wing to help them this year.

Question is, is 25m savings, worth Bazemore who's a UFA & a mid to late draft pick?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#149 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies have continued to posture that they expect to receive a first round pick or Andre Iguodala before the trade deadline.

Some league executives suspect the Grizzlies have a fallback option from the Dallas Mavericks in the form of Courtney Lee and a 2020 second round pick from the Golden State Warriors.

Sources with the Mavericks have tried to refute that theory.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256972/Execs-Believe-Grizzlies-Have-Offer-From-Mavericks-For-Andre-Iguodala-As-Fallback
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#150 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Looks like I didn't read the protections correctly,

Still.

Portland salaries w/ Baze+Tolliver $145.2 mil + $22.75 mil luxury tax penalty=$167.95 mil bill at the end of the season

Salaries w/Ariza+Swanigan+Gabriel $140 mil + $11.7 mil luxury tax penalty=$151.7 mil bill

Salaries w/Crowder $135m + $7m luxury tax penalty = $142m bill

Portland used a that step ladder trade to first save 5m for Ariza, then 5m for Crowder being within the trade rules.

You can watch it straight like they traded Bazemore, mid to late first 20 or 21 for Crowder's expiring, roughly 25m savings. While getting a serviceable wing to help them this year.

Question is, is 25m savings, worth Bazemore who's a UFA & a mid to late draft pick?.

They are bidding against themselves though. Cleveland, OKC, and maybe Atlanta would also be willing to help them lower their tax bill so they have some leverage. There also probably aren't other teams giving much up for Crowder. Portland could offer Ariza plus two 2nds and there is a good chance that that is the best Crowder offer we are going to get. They then preserve their 1sts.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#151 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 am

VCfor3 wrote: They are bidding against themselves though. Cleveland, OKC, and maybe Atlanta would also be willing to help them lower their tax bill so they have some leverage. There also probably aren't other teams giving much up for Crowder. Portland could offer Ariza plus two 2nds and there is a good chance that that is the best Crowder offer we are going to get. They then preserve their 1sts.

The theme of Portland's trades have been financial savings.

Even after shedding roughly 10m to save 25m, if this deal is on the table, they're still in the tax by roughly 5m.

I'd assume based on their purpose of trade... maybe they don't want the financial value of a guaranteed mid to late first?. (why early 2nd rounders are considered valuable).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#152 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote: They are bidding against themselves though. Cleveland, OKC, and maybe Atlanta would also be willing to help them lower their tax bill so they have some leverage. There also probably aren't other teams giving much up for Crowder. Portland could offer Ariza plus two 2nds and there is a good chance that that is the best Crowder offer we are going to get. They then preserve their 1sts.

Even after shedding roughly 10m to save 25m, if this deal is on the table, they're still in the tax by roughly 5m.

I'd assume based on their purpose of trade... maybe they don't want the financial value of a guaranteed mid to late first?. (why early 2nd rounders are considered valuable).

Honestly they probably need that cost controlled player. I think they'll be able to avoid the tax next year without too much trouble so are more focused on this year's savings.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#153 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:43 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Honestly they probably need that cost controlled player. I think they'll be able to avoid the tax next year without too much trouble so are more focused on this year's savings.

I just checked their cap situation. They'll save 25m this year & with the salary cap set for 118m in 2020-21, when Whiteside drops off their cap, they will be at 93m guaranteed salary. Giving them potentially 25m to potentially spend.

Maybe they want that wiggle room to sign a depth option?. A potential replacement for losing Whiteside. There will be several quality centres on the FA market next year that they might want to be able to throw some money at.

They'll be losing Whiteside, Pau, Carmelo, Ezeli. Basically, all their big man depth behind Nurkic.

Next year is their 50th anniversary & they supposedly have big plans for it. They believe they have a strong enough core with Nurkix back to battle for a Top-4 seed in the West. It’ll be getting over that hump that will be difficult for them & a mid to late first won't have the same impact as a potential quality free agent signing for their year long planned celebration.

IDK, seems like they might be setting themselves up to be players in free agency.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#154 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Houston Rockets.

They have not targeted a specific position, the individual said, other than seeking a deal for a player likely to get playing time, which would rule out point guards. Their scarcity of future first-round picks will not be a factor in determining whether to deal the 2020 pick they still hold.

Rockets — are expected to make significant moves to secure a stronger case for a championship run. Non-contending teams may also get rid of expiring players for future assets, seeking younger players or draft picks.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-houston-active-trade-talks-has-not-targeted-a-specific-position/
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#155 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:52 pm

The Kings offered Nemanja Bjelica and a pick to the Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, and Los Angeles countered by asking for Bogdanovic, according to multiple league sources. Sacramento refused.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#156 » by SD2042 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:47 am

Whole Truth wrote:The Kings offered Nemanja Bjelica and a pick to the Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, and Los Angeles countered by asking for Bogdanovic, according to multiple league sources. Sacramento refused.

Sactown looks undecided to move Bogi. Perhaps like most RFA deals, they will be the hardest to move due to the potential possibility of staying committed to the new team and for how much on the dollar.

Bogi could also be added in with Dedmon if Sactown is looking to sweeten the pot.

Also did the Lakers already tried Bogi for Kuz once already?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 1, 2020 12:13 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:The Kings offered Nemanja Bjelica and a pick to the Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, and Los Angeles countered by asking for Bogdanovic, according to multiple league sources. Sacramento refused.

Sactown looks undecided to move Bogi. Perhaps like most RFA deals, they will be the hardest to move due to the potential possibility of staying committed to the new team and for how much on the dollar.

Bogi could also be added in with Dedmon if Sactown is looking to sweeten the pot.

Also did the Lakers already tried Bogi for Kuz once already?

It's most likely just leaked details of the same incident by Clutch Sports.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#158 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:02 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves, several league executives say, are looking for the lofty price tag of two first-round picks for versatile forward Robert Covington. And one league source says the Memphis Grizzlies offered Andre Iguodala to the Milwaukee Bucks for the 2020 protected first-round pick they acquired from Indiana in the deal that sent point guard Malcolm Brogdon to the Pacers last summer. While adding Iguodala's playmaking ability, postseason pedigree and defense to the team with the league's best record is tantalizing, it would be a Rubik's Cubesian challenge to construct a deal that would allow Milwaukee to absorb his $17.2 million contract.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874053-nba-execs-dish-on-how-lakers-clips-d-rose-might-shake-up-trade-deadline

Bucks trade - (Bledsoe 15.6m/4yrs, Pacers FRP) for (Iggy 17m/1yr, Napier 1.3m/1yr)

Minnesota trade - (Dieng 16.2m/2yrs, Napier 1.3m/1yr, 2022 SRP) for (Bledsoe 15.6m/4yrs)

Memphis trade - (Iggy 17m/1yr) for (Dieng 16.2m/2yrs, Pacers FRP, Minnesota/Philly SRP)

Bucks who were rumored to be willing to deal Bledsoe, get out of his 15m/4yr commitment with an expiring Iggy, who helps them this year. Napier cheaply replaces the need for a backup PG.

Minnesota drop a year on Dieng's 16m contract & get a PG upgrade for an expiring Napier, 2nd round pick.

Memphis get expensive depth behind Jonas in taking on salary, receive a FRP & 2nd for facilitating Buck's & Minnesota's needs.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#159 » by VCfor3 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:33 pm

Trade 1:
DAL in: Harkless (into TPE)
DAL out: 2022 DAL 2nd

LAC in: Iggy
LAC out: Harkless, Robinson, 2021 DET 2nd

MEM in: Robinson, 2021 DET 2nd, 2022 DAL 2nd ($17m TPE)

Trade 2: (waive Bruno first)
HOU in: Top 55 protected 2nd
HOU out: Nene, 2023 HOU 2nd

MEM in: Nene, 2023 HOU 2nd
MEM out: Top 55 protected 2nd

Trade 3: (waive Nene first)
OKC in: Robinson, 10m TPE
OKC out: Roberson, 2021 OKC 2nd, 2024 MEM 2nd

MEM in: Roberson 2021 OKC 2nd, 2024 MEM 2nd
MEM out: Robinson

Trade 4: (waive Roberson first)
POR in: Fake 2nd, TPE
POR out: Hood, Swanigan, 2022 POR 2nd, 2026 POR 2nd

MEM in: Hood, Swanigan, 2022 POR 2nd, 2026 POR 2nd
MEM out: Fake 2nd

Summary: Memphis waives Bruno and moves Iggy for Hood, Swanigan, lots of dead salary, 2021 DET 2nd, 2021 OKC 2nd, 2022 DAL 2nd, 2022 POR 2nd, 2023 HOU 2nd, 2024 MEM 2nd, and 2026 POR 2nd.

Trade 1: LAC gets Iggy, DAL gets help on the wing, MEM gets picks and a 17m TPE
Trade 2: HOU saves money for a 2nd
Trade 3: OKC gets a look at Robinson and gets a 10m TPE. If they don't move anyone this offseason, they are likely operating like a team over the tax with Gallinari's hold (would look to S&T) so they could use that 10m TPE this offseason or next deadline.
Trade 4: POR escapes the tax and gets off Hood's money for next year. You might be able to reroute some of the 2nds to POR and get them to toss in a 2020 1st (lottery protected, 2021 lottery protected, 2022 & 2026 2nds) but I'm not sure.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#160 » by VCfor3 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 8:07 pm

If LAC would prefer three future 2nds for future trades instead of keeping their 1st, drafting a guy at #27, and him immediately losing value until he proves himself (likely wouldn't happen till their championship window closes), we could send the 2022 DAL 2nd and another 2nd of LAC's choosing to them and they include their 1st instead of the DET 2nd.

For POR, if we sent them the 2021 OKC 2nd and 2023 HOU 2nd do you think they'd put in their 1st to save 7m this year and 5m this year plus all the tax? If so you'd trade Iggy for two 1sts (the Mem 2nd and whatever we send to LAC kinda cancel out) to bring the grand total to 3FRPs for Iggy. :lol:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies