ImageImageImageImageImage

Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread. 

Post#101 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:10 am

WallToWall wrote:I did mistake him for Mahinmi as they were both running up the court, and I glanced at Bonga. I thought to myself "who is that?". Nonga does look different, physically, than from the start of the season.
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Is it just me or is Bonga actually getting taller during the course of the season ??

Lately watching them running up and down the court I find myself thinking it's Mahinmi on the floor and then realize it's Bonga.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Ha I'm not crazy, just heard Chris Miller on post game say Bonga has grew an inch since start of season!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#102 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:22 pm

I tell you what... if Bonga, Bryant, Mathews & Wagner all turn out the way it's looked so far based on how they've played & on rate of improvement -- Tommy Sheppard gets an A+++ for his work over the last year & a bit more.

The total cost of all those guys plus a R2 pick was... nothing. Zero. Zip.

If one of Pasecniks & Williams becomes even a journeyman/sub... add another + to the string of them!

I also give him, not Ernie, credit for the pick of Brown -- who is looking like one of the 5-6 best players to come out of the 2018 draft.

Plus, if we get an attractive offer of pick(s) & trade Bertans -- whom he also got for nothing -- well... mind-blowing work! Then there's Sanon lurking in the background. If he's a hit too... erect a statue of Tommy outside the Phone Booth.

In fact, if even 2/3 of all that works out... I give him a pass on picking Rui! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#103 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:44 pm

payitforward wrote:The total cost of all those guys plus a R2 pick was... nothing. Zero. Zip.

You forgot the cap-crippling charge of $1M for Jonathon Simmons' phantom salary. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#104 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:51 pm

Bonga was real good against the Nets. He played 31 minutes and was a real defensive nuisance all night. He also grabbed 5 offensive rebounds through sheer hustle.

I'm really curious to see how much he can continue to improve upon his body. He grew an inch and he's definitely starting to pack some muscle onto that skinny frame of his. He's listed at 180 pounds but I'm assuming that was an old measurement. He looks closer to 200 pounds and he might eventually get up around 220. Hopefully the added strength will improve his rebounding.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#105 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter

With Hachimura coming back, it gives Brooks the perfect opportunity to finally do what needs to be done with Isaiah. With Bonga and Brown playing so well, Bertans being critical for our spread offense, and Hachimura needing minutes; there just aren't enough forward minutes to go around as long Beal continues to start at SF.

It's time to bench IT. One option is to start Hachimura in place of IT with Payton at the 1, Beal at the 2, and Bonga at the 3; but that leaves Beal as the only ball-handler (unless they think Bonga can handle the ball more). The other option is to move Brown into the starting lineup and go Payton, Beal, Brown, Hachimura at the 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Of course, Brooks is likely to go with Option 3 and banish Payton to the bench. I'd hate to see that happen. I like Payton pestering the opposition's best ball handler for the first 7 minutes of each half. It takes them out of their rhythm. It's also really nice to have one guy who actually fights through screens so that the defense doesn't have to go into scramble rotation so early in the shot clock on every possession.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#106 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

With Hachimura coming back, it gives Brooks the perfect opportunity to finally do what needs to be done with Isaiah. With Bonga and Brown playing so well, Bertans being critical for our spread offense, and Hachimura needing minutes; there just aren't enough forward minutes to go around as long Beal continues to start at SF.

It's time to bench IT. One option is to start Hachimura in place of IT with Payton at the 1, Beal at the 2, and Bonga at the 3; but that leaves Beal as the only ball-handler (unless they think Bonga can handle the ball more). The other option is to move Brown into the starting lineup and go Payton, Beal, Brown, Hachimura at the 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Of course, Brooks is likely to go with Option 3 and banish Payton to the bench. I'd hate to see that happen. I like Payton pestering the opposition's best ball handler for the first 7 minutes of each half. It takes them out of their rhythm. It's also really nice to have one guy who actually fights through screens so that the defense doesn't have to go into scramble rotation so early in the shot clock on every possession.

You only do that if you are ACTUALLY trying to make the playoffs :D - right?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#107 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:09 pm

nate33 wrote:Bonga was real good against the Nets. He played 31 minutes and was a real defensive nuisance all night. He also grabbed 5 offensive rebounds through sheer hustle.

I'm really curious to see how much he can continue to improve upon his body. He grew an inch and he's definitely starting to pack some muscle onto that skinny frame of his. He's listed at 180 pounds but I'm assuming that was an old measurement. He looks closer to 200 pounds and he might eventually get up around 220. Hopefully the added strength will improve his rebounding.

Defensively, he doesn't key on rebounds. Watch Brown start boxing out early. Bonga is looking for steals (which makes a bit of sense given he was a PG for so long).

I wonder if he can learn this along with gaining muscle on that near 6'9 (guess) frame? At this point he is a better defender (at PF) than Hachimura (and a year younger). I think his D will take another jump next year. Offensively (at PF), I don't think it is close - Bonga is much better.

But then what do you do when you figure out Bonga should be the starter?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#108 » by DCZards » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:06 pm

payitforward wrote:I tell you what... if Bonga, Bryant, Mathews & Wagner all turn out the way it's looked so far based on how they've played & on rate of improvement -- Tommy Sheppard gets an A+++ for his work over the last year & a bit more.

If one of Pasecniks & Williams becomes even a journeyman/sub... add another + to the string of them!

I also give him, not Ernie, credit for the pick of Brown -- who is looking like one of the 5-6 best players to come out of the 2018 draft.

Plus, if we get an attractive offer of pick(s) & trade Bertans -- whom he also got for nothing -- well... mind-blowing work! Then there's Sanon lurking in the background. If he's a hit too... erect a statue of Tommy outside the Phone Booth.

In fact, if even 2/3 of all that works out... I give him a pass on picking Rui! :)

I'm guessing that by next year this time you will have totally forgiven TS for picking Rui...just as you seem to have forgiven EG for drafting Brown. Just a hunch. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#109 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:34 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:Bonga was real good against the Nets. He played 31 minutes and was a real defensive nuisance all night. He also grabbed 5 offensive rebounds through sheer hustle.

Defensively, he doesn't key on rebounds. Watch Brown start boxing out early. Bonga is looking for steals (which makes a bit of sense given he was a PG for so long).

I wonder if he can learn this along with gaining muscle on that near 6'9 (guess) frame? At this point he is a better defender (at PF) than Hachimura (and a year younger). I think his D will take another jump next year. Offensively (at PF), I don't think it is close - Bonga is much better.

I'd probably continue starting Hachimura to keep his confidence up. If Bonga outplays him, then Bonga will play more minutes off the bench. The other problem is that Hachimura and Bertans are more PFs defensively than they are SFs. Ideally, you don't pair them together. You put one with Bonga and the other with Brown.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#110 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

I'd probably continue starting Hachimura to keep his confidence up. If Bonga outplays him, then Bonga will play more minutes off the bench. The other problem is that Hachimura and Bertans are more PFs defensively than they are SFs. Ideally, you don't pair them together. You put one with Bonga and the other with Brown.

I would move IT out of the lineup. Move TBJ to G. Start TBJ, Beal, Bonga, Hachimura, Bryant. From there everything is interchangeable ... you can come in with Ish and Bertans, you can slide TBJ to SG or SF as needed, Bonga to PF as needed... That should be your primary 7. Then based on matchups and situations filter in Wagner/AP, McRae/Matthews, GP2 as needed.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM

Post#111 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:51 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:I tell you what... if Bonga, Bryant, Mathews & Wagner all turn out the way it's looked so far based on how they've played & on rate of improvement -- Tommy Sheppard gets an A+++ for his work over the last year & a bit more.

I'm guessing that by next year this time you will have totally forgiven TS for picking Rui...just as you seem to have forgiven EG for drafting Brown. Just a hunch. :D

I hope you are right, Zards! But... Brown was much better last year than Rui has been this year. & he cost a #15 pick not a #9 pick.

Still -- may it be so!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#112 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:29 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I would move IT out of the lineup. Move TBJ to G. Start TBJ, Beal, Bonga, Hachimura, Bryant. From there everything is interchangeable ... you can come in with Ish and Bertans, you can slide TBJ to SG or SF as needed, Bonga to PF as needed... That should be your primary 7. Then based on matchups and situations filter in Wagner/AP, McRae/Matthews, GP2 as needed.

I'm okay with that too. But I prefer Payton in the starting lineup, even if it's just for the first 6 minutes of each half. I'd go with:

Starters:
PG Payton
SG Beal
SF Brown
PF Hachimura
C Bryant

Bench:
PG Ish
SG McRae
SF Bonga
PF Bertans
C Mahinmi

I'm not sure about the centers though. I could just as easily start Mahinmi and bring Bryant off the bench. But ultimately, I think it's best for the long term to develop some Beal/Bryant pick-and-roll chemistry.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#113 » by dckingsfan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:11 am

nate33 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I would move IT out of the lineup. Move TBJ to G. Start TBJ, Beal, Bonga, Hachimura, Bryant. From there everything is interchangeable ... you can come in with Ish and Bertans, you can slide TBJ to SG or SF as needed, Bonga to PF as needed... That should be your primary 7. Then based on matchups and situations filter in Wagner/AP, McRae/Matthews, GP2 as needed.

I'm okay with that too. But I prefer Payton in the starting lineup, even if it's just for the first 6 minutes of each half. I'd go with:

Starters:
PG Payton
SG Beal
SF Brown
PF Hachimura
C Bryant

Bench:
PG Ish
SG McRae
SF Bonga
PF Bertans
C Mahinmi

I'm not sure about the centers though. I could just as easily start Mahinmi and bring Bryant off the bench. But ultimately, I think it's best for the long term to develop some Beal/Bryant pick-and-roll chemistry.

I think that Brown pairs with Mahinmi better than Bryant. Guess I would leave it as you have it and swap Bonga for Brown.

Scary part is that if the Wizards get healthy and play .500 - they probably make the playoffs. :noway:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#114 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:38 am

dckingsfan wrote:I think that Brown pairs with Mahinmi better than Bryant. Guess I would leave it as you have it and swap Bonga for Brown.

I was trying to have Brown on the floor when Ish wasn't, so he can help Beal with ball-handling duties. Gary Payton can't really do anything off the bounce.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#115 » by dckingsfan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:46 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think that Brown pairs with Mahinmi better than Bryant. Guess I would leave it as you have it and swap Bonga for Brown.

I was trying to have Brown on the floor when Ish wasn't, so he can help Beal with ball-handling duties. Gary Payton can't really do anything off the bounce.

Gotcha - yeah, I was trying not to have Bryant with Brown. Brown does a nice job boxing out but then lets Bryant take the rebound who then poses with it for a few seconds.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#116 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:51 pm

dckingsfan wrote:...Scary part is that if the Wizards get healthy and play .500 - they probably make the playoffs. :noway:

What would make anyone think we could play .500 ball I wonder?

Anyway, if Orlando & Brooklyn play out the season at their current winning percentages, it's takes more than a .500 record for the Wizards to catch either of them.

Right now, we project to 30 wins. It will be a real stretch to get to 32 & equal last year's record.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#117 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:32 pm

payitforward wrote:What would make anyone think we could play .500 ball I wonder?

We've played .500 ball over the last 14 games. With Beal, Bryant and Bertans back, and Beal out of his shooting slump, the Wizards look like an intermittently capable team. They're not "good" by any stretch, but they may be less awful than the 12 or so awful teams in this league. We also have an easier schedule remaining than our nearest competition (Chicago, Detroit and Charlotte).

Our next 7 games are all winnable. I'm not saying we win all 7, but going 4-3 or even 5-2 is very possible.

vs Golden State Warriors
vs Dallas Mavericks (no Doncic)
vs Memphis Grizzlies
vs Chicago Bulls
@ New York Knicks
vs Cleveland Cavaliers
@ Chicago Bulls

We have just one West Coast road trip left, and it's pretty easy, relatively speaking (UTA, POR, GSW, SAC).

Looking at the schedule, I could see us winning 7 of the next 13 games, which would mean we went 14-13 over a 27-game stretch. If that happens, the team will start believing they've turned the corner and they'll give no consideration whatsoever to tanking for draft position. Games in March and April against lottery-bound teams could be pretty easy as they wisely tank while we keep trying.

payitforward wrote:Anyway, if Orlando & Brooklyn play out the season at their current winning percentages, it's takes more than a .500 record for the Wizards to catch either of them.

Orlando has lost 5 in a row and 7 of their last 8. They are struggling with Isaac out of the lineup and he'll be out until mid-March.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#118 » by dckingsfan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:24 pm

I think both Orlando and Brooklyn are going to fade badly. But that wasn't really my point - it is, who would have guessed we could have been in "any" kind of striking distance. I would have guessed we would be 10 games out of 8th not 3.5.

Just saying...
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#119 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:30 pm

nate33 wrote:Orlando has lost 5 in a row and 7 of their last 8. They are struggling with Isaac out of the lineup and he'll be out until mid-March.

And the Nets are 5-14 in their last 19 games, having only beaten the Bulls (no Markkanen or Carter), Pistons (x2 - No Griffin, Jackson or Kennard in either game), Hawks (no Trae), with one surprise win against the Heat. They've been in an absolute tailspin for a while now and if they don't be the Suns or Warriors in their next two games, they run into the Raptors, Pacers and then Raptors again before the allstar break. They've actually got a pretty tough schedule to end the season with some of their easier games being against the Wizards. If the Wizards can pull those games out, it really would put the Nets in a really tough spot.

I don't think it's likely that the Wizards make the playoffs but it's certainly possible. After the top 6 who are all on pace for 51 wins or better, the rest of the conference is an absolute mess. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see the 7th and 8th seed both below 35 wins. The Nets and Magic are only on pace for 36 and 35 wins at present anyway.

What the Wizards have going for them is they've established a relatively deep rotation where one player isn't necessarily inherently more valuable than another. If Beal were to get hurt, it'd be game over, but for as long as he can stay healthy, they can really suffer an injury or two here and there with depth of Bonga, Brown, Rui, Bertans, McCrae, Ish, Payton, Thomas (yes, him too), Matthews, Bryant, Mahinmi, Wagner and Pasecniks. If one guy is hurt, the other guys jump in and you don't notice that much of a dropoff because none of them have really separated themselves from the pack and they're being competitive by having a large pack that doesn't quit and doesn't really drop off too bad no matter who is playing. It's not totally unlike what the Nets did last season, honestly, with a decent system and a swarm of players they just kept rolling out.
Bucket! Bucket!
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#120 » by daSwami » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:13 pm

Dude got demoted today (along with Pasecniks). Good.
:banghead:

Return to Washington Wizards