All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#601 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Spens1 wrote:Not sure if anyone's seen this, but Brandi released a video on her twitter. Its actually really good surprisingly enough, they need to show this on TV and they need to have Cody involved.

[youtube]
Read on Twitter
[/youtube]

Great video, and the little attention to detail makes all the difference (i.e. Brandi hitting her ehad and then this transformation), stuff liek this WWE just ignores or forgets
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#602 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Not sure if anyone's seen this, but Brandi released a video on her twitter. Its actually really good surprisingly enough, they need to show this on TV and they need to have Cody involved.

[youtube]
Read on Twitter
[/youtube]

Great video, and the little attention to detail makes all the difference (i.e. Brandi hitting her ehad and then this transformation), stuff liek this WWE just ignores or forgets

This will be all for naught though if its not shown on dynamite though.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#603 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:28 pm

This was honestly the first episode of Dynamite I just didn't enjoy, but there were still some important outcomes. This Adam Page story-line continues to get better and better, so big positive in them continuing to go in the right direction.

Also, Britt Baker's promo was enjoyable, I give AEW a lot of credit for not shying away from it after last week's atrocity, which they touched upon when Baker was going at JR. Digging her heel character, it's done wonders for her.

I can't get into Moxley's promo as a face. I just can't. This has been an issue for me, I think he re-hashes a lot of tired, old lines that we've seen over and over again in wrestling, and his promo's are just a lot of filler that doesn't really establish anything. Moxley saying stuff like "if you want to challenge me, you better kiss your family members goodbye" (when he was calling out the entire AEW roster) and then last week's whole thing about what he sees when he looks into a mirror. I just find it cringey, I really do, and it doesn't work for me AT ALL.

MJF was good on commentary, just like he was on AEW Dark. Tony did a great job setting MJF with great quirks, asking him how he feels about the investment he made, lol.. I am not going to say they are buried, because it's a term that's overstated, but Butcher and Blade need to be booked to look stronger. That doesn't mean they need to win, but they can't get beat up by Darby Allin/Cody, and Cody/QT Marshall, it just doesn't work when a random pairing beats a formidable tag team. Btw, anyone else really enjoy the Young Bucks entrance music? Suits them perfectly tbh lol.

Cody vs. Kip was really overbooked, you had plenty of distractions, interference, ejections, and Joey Janella appearing... it was chaotic, I'm still torn on how I feel about it, because it might have been just a bit too overboard but it also did a great job of pushing a few storylines too.

SCU vs. Hybrid2, a throwaway to build towards more Dark Order stuff. I'm enjoying the Dark Order, but this promo wasn't for me. Felt more cringe again, but man, Jack Evans deserves so much better. This guy is awesome.

During the Young Bucks/Omega backstage segment....thought that this new lady interviewer is really bad too....how robotic can you be?

The Main Event was super sloppy. Jericho and Ortiz kept looking around and waiting for their opponent to execute the next spot/move and it killed any art of thinking this is real. It looked really scripted, this is what I appreciate so much with Omega, there is not one single moment where he's waiting on his opponent to perform a move, he's constantly selling or using his facial features to tell a story.... some say he overdoes it but this is how it should be, it's my biggest pet peeve when someone is being pinned and their eyes are looking around for their partner to see if they will break up the pin and didn't miss their spot.

Jericho was also literally laying and looking around to see which spots were being done, and then put himself in position to take a top rope senton/splash from someone (forgot who, but it made me MAD on how faked it look). Ortiz kept doing this when he was getting double teamed, camera work did them no favours.

I don't know, this is one of the episodes that made me question why I started wrestling again after all this time. But, with that being said, I know I will be back next week without second guessing it further. Just wish they had a better episode.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#604 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 pm

NXT started out surprisingly slow (Trent Seven, really? Has he ever been to a gym?), so I switched over to TNA... oops, I mean AEW. Gottasay, Hangman Page has really improved as a personality and performer. Even though it's so obvious what's eventually going to happen, it works - and he's the biggest reason it works.

On the negative side, they had two many men who look like they're mid-card Indy veterans who bounce at bars on weekends. And their best women couldn't make the NXT roster. And the most annoying rassler every time I've watched AEW is Ortiz. His goofy preening for the camera is amateurish, and he never does anything interesting in the ring. And Santana just stands there. I get the feeling the quality tag teams they have in AEW have to lower their game when going against Santana & Ortiz. Maybe they were good at Impact, but they've been awful in AEW, imo.

MJF is quite a character on the mic and has potential in the ring. He might be their best long-term asset.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#605 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:50 am

One of the greatest episodes of wrestling I’ve ever seen tbh. What a bounce back from last weeks awful episode. Seriously, it was that good. There’s so many fun storylines and they all progressed in the right direction.

Moxley/Ortiz, I wasn’t hyped about this coming into this week but I really like Moxley going through the inner circle 1vs1 before meeting with Jericho, the eye for an eye was fantastic. Great job progressing this storyline . Jericho being a thing on commentary is fine with me, Sammy’s performance let me down as a big fan.

Orange Cassidy is super over for me just like most fans, AEW needs to continue using him like this, using a loved face character to get a group like the Dark Order some heat. I like this whole thing with Daniels because they used his past botches as a way to recruit him too. I like how AEW incorporates those things and not shy away from anything.

Yuka is finally back and I’m so glad they gave her the win, it was a win-win for everyone actually because Baker’s attack post match was perfect for her gimmick and heel momentum, leaving her
Mouth bloody with a tooth missing. Another example of Storyline progress being successful. Baker as a heel is much better fit for her. Way more natural.

I thought the Elite would win but Lucha Bros and BB needed it way more, once again; great booking. Adam Page tension continues, the backstage segments continue to be highly entertaining and they seamlessly transitioned from this storyline to the Omega/Pac feud to a Nyla Rose/Riho feud. Action packed entertainment.

Kip/Joey is a match I feel needed to be on the PPV, this feud feels very real due to its legitimacy, it’s got a lot of potential but AEW needs to do a better job of telling a story and giving Joey a reason to hate Kip.

10 lashes segment was one the most riveting, greatest things in wrestling tbh. They dropped Brandi’s gimmick, it felt so real. The heels not being over cluttered with the faces coming down to the ring... it was emotional. Cody is a star, and arguably the biggest face in wrestling rn. It’s just cool for all ages to like him, he’s a representation of what we love in wrestling and a big reason for AEW. Pair him with the biggest heel In the company and now they’re creating absolute magic. The low blow at the end was the perfect ending to a near perfect episode.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,811

Post#606 » by Stanford » Thu Feb 6, 2020 1:39 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:One of the greatest episodes of wrestling I’ve ever seen

Jesus. I had plans tonight, but I guess I'm staying in to watch AEW. What an endorsement.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#607 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Feb 6, 2020 5:49 pm

Stanford wrote:

Jesus. I had plans tonight, but I guess I'm staying in to watch AEW. What an endorsement.

I’m someone whose just been getting back into this after a decade so forgive my hyperbole, I am just so used to being frustrated with WWE and constantly wished things were booked differently as the show went on, this episode was perfect to me, it was such a breath of fresh air to be able to sit back and watch.

I am more into storylines than matches itself, and I love every single storyline and the direction it took. AEW fixes every complaint it seems.

I’m super nervous to what you may think of it now lol, but I hope you at least thought the 10 lash segment was as riveting as I did. I was expecting to hate on it and it really reeled me in, especially when Brandi comes down out of character. Would love to hear your thoughts if you watch it, cheers.
Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#608 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:40 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Stanford wrote:

I’m someone whose just been getting back into this after a decade so forgive my hyperbole, I am just so used to being frustrated with WWE and constantly wished things were booked differently as the show went on, this episode was perfect to me, it was such a breath of fresh air to be able to sit back and watch.

I am more into storylines than matches itself, and I love every single storyline and the direction it took. AEW fixes every complaint it seems.

I’m super nervous to what you may think of it now lol, but I hope you at least thought the 10 lash segment was as riveting as I did. I was expecting to hate on it and it really reeled me in, especially when Brandi comes down out of character. Would love to hear your thoughts if you watch it, cheers.

It was an entertianign episode for sure. Yeah the Moxley/Ortiz match and angle was nice, and Santana proved why he's solid on the mic.

The Dark order segment planted seeds that Daniels could be the exhaulted one, which is intriguing. It should be someone fresher, but still.

But yes, the star segment was the 10 lashes. Cody looked like an absolute star, things like Dustin asking to take the remaining lashes for his brother and Brandi coming out were great touches.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#609 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:17 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:10 lashes segment was one the most riveting, greatest things in wrestling tbh. They dropped Brandi’s gimmick, it felt so real. The heels not being over cluttered with the faces coming down to the ring... it was emotional. Cody is a star, and arguably the biggest face in wrestling rn. It’s just cool for all ages to like him, he’s a representation of what we love in wrestling and a big reason for AEW. Pair him with the biggest heel In the company and now they’re creating absolute magic. The low blow at the end was the perfect ending to a near perfect episode.

I just saw it. Wow, that was maybe the most dramatic segment I've ever seen in pro rasslin. Maybe it was a bit much at times, but I absolutely loved it. Kudos to the Rhodes family and everyone involved.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#610 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:17 pm

The Cody vs MJF feud kinda reminds me of a modern Bruno Samartino vs young upstart Larry Zybisco (sp?). Obviously not saying Cody is as good as Bruno, but he's extremely effective in this role.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,811

Post#611 » by Stanford » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:48 am

The praise for the final segment has been spot on. It was an incredibly thoughtful segment. Thoughtful in theme and execution.

It was brutal to watch but it was in service of a greater good. Cody wasn't just receiving the lashes for himself, he was also doing it for us. We, as viewers, both shared in his pain and were spared of it. This made it even more brutal to watch because we were, in a way, complicit. As an audience our desire is to see evil, played by MJF in this case, vanquished. But in order to do that, someone has to sacrifice. It's one thing to witness sacrifice when we know it's just part of the show. It's another thing entirely to witness welts forms on someone's skin in real time.

Obviously this is in part a biblical allusion. They made it obvious without being heavy-handed (WWE would have literally had someone nailed to a cross). But as I was watching it, I felt like it was also an allegory about the sacrifice wrestlers make for us every week. We take for granted the physical toll wrestling takes on the performers. When we think something really hurts, we insist that they stop doing it in favor of something less painful. My immediate thought as a fan was, "why are you doing this? This is supposed to be fake." But it had to hurt to make everyone feel the sacrifice that Cody was making. Both Cody the character who was feuding with MJF, but also Cody the the man as a representative of all wrestlers. Everything hurts! Sometimes it's important that we feel uncomfortable about that.

Ton of respect for Cody and whoever came up with the idea. I hope AEW makes it a priority to supplement all the fun wrestling they do with thoughtful approaches to big themes like this one. Maybe that's not the formula to beat WWE, but it's the formula to a great product.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#612 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:51 pm

Stanford wrote:The praise for the final segment has been spot on. It was an incredibly thoughtful segment. Thoughtful in theme and execution.

It was brutal to watch but it was in service of a greater good. Cody wasn't just receiving the lashes for himself, he was also doing it for us. We, as viewers, both shared in his pain and were spared of it. This made it even more brutal to watch because we were, in a way, complicit. As an audience our desire is to see evil, played by MJF in this case, vanquished. But in order to do that, someone has to sacrifice. It's one thing to witness sacrifice when we know it's just part of the show. It's another thing entirely to witness welts forms on someone's skin in real time.

Obviously this is in part a biblical allusion. They made it obvious without being heavy-handed (WWE would have literally had someone nailed to a cross). But as I was watching it, I felt like it was also an allegory about the sacrifice wrestlers make for us every week. We take for granted the physical toll wrestling takes on the performers. When we think something really hurts, we insist that they stop doing it in favor of something less painful. My immediate thought as a fan was, "why are you doing this? This is supposed to be fake." But it had to hurt to make everyone feel the sacrifice that Cody was making. Both Cody the character who was feuding with MJF, but also Cody the the man as a representative of all wrestlers. Everything hurts! Sometimes it's important that we feel uncomfortable about that.

Ton of respect for Cody and whoever came up with the idea. I hope AEW makes it a priority to supplement all the fun wrestling they do with thoughtful approaches to big themes like this one. Maybe that's not the formula to beat WWE, but it's the formula to a great product.

This was so well written, thank you for taking the time, you described better than I ever could. It seems like everyone unanimously enjoyed this segment, can't wait for next week's follow up.
Thank you Clutch0z24
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#613 » by tugs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:55 am

Genius segment and I really can't add any more from the comments previously mentioned.

Just goes to show how much emotions Cody and team put in their product.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#614 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Stanford wrote:The praise for the final segment has been spot on. It was an incredibly thoughtful segment. Thoughtful in theme and execution.

This was so well written, thank you for taking the time, you described better than I ever could. It seems like everyone unanimously enjoyed this segment, can't wait for next week's follow up.

As the pro rasslin fans would say, Thank you Stanford. That was educational, thoughtful, and well said.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#615 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Great episode of AEW. They really seem to have hit their stride, righted some of their wrongs (Nightmare Collective) and just producing a wonderful, refreshing product.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#616 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Might sound crazy, but It’s getting to a point for me where it’s getting too good, i’m left wondering what matches there’s left for me to be excited about on their PPV card.

I mean , a Omega vs PAC Ironman Match on dynamite, I can’t complain at all, but that should mean Omega/Page defend the title, not sure against who, we already saw the Young Bucks match. Kip vs Janella is a feud I enjoy and feel it was best suited for Revolution too.

It was a good show though ... lots of fun matches.

Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#617 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:12 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Might sound crazy, but It’s getting to a point for me where it’s getting too good, i’m left wondering what matches there’s left for me to be excited about on their PPV card.

I mean , a Omega vs PAC Ironman Match on dynamite, I can’t complain at all, but that should mean Omega/Page defend the title, not sure against who, we already saw the Young Bucks match. Kip vs Janella is a feud I enjoy and feel it was best suited for Revolution too.

It was a good show though ... lots of fun matches.

They do small things right too, stuff WWE never does. Example not assume the audience are morons and make the announcers look like chumps. For example, the Daniels-Dark order, the announcers questioned where Daniels loyalty lies after the Order left him alone last week. Meanwhile when Ruby Riott returned and attacked Liv Morgan, they made it seem like it was the shock of the century, when every person watching knew it was coming.

Still a lot of money matches though, Page vs Omega, Page vs Moxley, Pac vs. Jericho, Cody vs Page, Cody vs Moxley, Cody vs Pac, Cody vs Omega, etc.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#618 » by Flames24Rulz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Yeah, the last two episodes have been great. The women's matches have been infinitely better too since they first started in October.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#619 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Is Jeff Cobb any good ? I really don't know anything about wrestling these days outside of Attitude Era stuff and it seems like everyone is hyped. To help put it in perspective, if AEW was an NBA Team, what would be the equivalent of Jeff Cobb as an NBA player as far as talent level goes? Is this like a team signing an all star FA? or a drafting a player with all star potential? He got a great pop when Y2J mentioned him in his promo.

As for my more detailed review that I like to do each week...

Omega/Page vs. SCU, great opener...really enjoy how they open the show with both guys already in the ring too. Justin introduces them and they get right into the action in what ended up being a very fun match, I expected no less. I think Scorpio Sky needs to eventually leave SCU, he's way too talented, there's a singles run in there and I would hate for it to go to waste as he's getting up there in age. I love how he's always selling with his facial features, this is my biggest pet peeve with most guys, they just wait for their spot to happen and aren't doing any selling, not with Scorpio Sky, he is just so believable when it comes to acting in pro wrestling, and he's one of the more athletic wrestlers on the roster...what else do you want in a main eventer?

Page/Omega needed a clean win too, no mess ups like last week, this makes them look a lot stronger heading into revolution for their eventual title defense. Great booking, no complaints here....Dark Order coming in, and then a brawl to hype the battle royal. Good stuff. There was fan footage with Page in the crowd saying "none of my damn business" during the tag team brawl, thought it was hilarious. Amazing how his character is the most over thing on the roster

Sammy G vs. Goldust (sorry, just love that gimmick, so i'll stick to calling him that lol)....I'm unhappy about this one tbh. I understand giving Dustin a win in his hometown, but they didn't need to put him over against Sammy, who he lost to previously. AEW hates 50/50 booking yet they did it here, not a fan, especially since Sammy is a future star and needs momentum going to his match with Darby at the PPV. I get that it's the most relevant sense to have him win against someone from the Inner Circle,but would've rather had it be Ortiz, this devalues Sammy's previous win against Goldy, which wasn't the most clean victory in the first place. Not a fan of the result, would've rather seen the Luchasaurus vs. Hager match for this card.

Britt Baker promo...she continues to improve, some people hate on it, but each week she has a stand out line. This week it was the what-a-burger line, got instant heat. Great work.

Riho vs. Nyla Rose.... OUTSTANDING match. Love the title change, Nyla has been on a great roll ever since she was putting everyone in the division through a table and her appearance on commentary during Dark, while Riho continues to put great matches, she is not consistently there due to obligations with Stardom, can't help but feel the title change would've been better for Revolution. Though a stacked TV card is great complaint to have. Do we get a rematch at revolution now? idk how they top that match or the previous 4 way match.

MJF/Jungle Boy, solid match which showcases the future of AEW. I'm glad they kept Cody off TV this week, it sells the lash segment further. This feud has been booked to perfection, can't wait for the steel cage match.

Moxley/Santana, I never cared for Santana that much, but that promo he cut during the interview with JR got me invested in this match really quickly, they did a similar build with Moxley/Sammy, I like how AEW is giving each individual in the Inner Circle some time to shine, both on the mic and looking strong in the ring before Moxley gets the eventual win. I'm more invested in Santana coming out of this match, great work.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#620 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Is Jeff Cobb any good ? I really don't know anything about wrestling these days outside of Attitude Era stuff and it seems like everyone is hyped. To help put it in perspective, if AEW was an NBA Team, what would be the equivalent of Jeff Cobb as an NBA player as far as talent level goes? Is this like a team signing an all star FA? or a drafting a player with all star potential? He got a great pop when Y2J mentioned him in his promo.

I'm a fan of Cobb's. He was great as a masked monster in Lucha Underground. Then again, he didn't have to do a lot in that role - he had a manager and they did a nice job of building him up. And he stood out physically because most of the wrestlers there were small. As a face, he's been somewhat bland but effective in ROH. He's certainly athletic for a power rassler. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do as a heel.

Return to Pro Wrestling