Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#221 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 7, 2020 11:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Heck man I think you offered an expiring for Dieng at one point with no picks involved ha. Glad to see we got him for James Johnson. Hell of a deal for us.

I probably shouldn't have worded it like that, rereading it, it looks like I want credit for calling a target, when I don't care about those things.

What I was trying to get at is how much of a better target I think Winslow is at 23 than Covington & Memphis got him for a buyout which they had to make with Iggy anyway & backup C, which they needed behind a 25min starter, no picks. It dwarfs my suggestion in many areas & I'm happy about that.

He's a much better on ball defender than either Crowder or Covington. He's what teams are hoping Iggy could be for them but Heat couldn't risk relying on his health, where Memphis are still in a development stage to take that risk. If Winslow can get healthy, It could be huge considering the teams Memphis might face if they manage to make the playoffs. Hopefully, he'll be a 100% by then & make Miami/Iggy look foolish with his play.

Thankfully with Josh, Memphis can afford to let him rest up while they gauge potential fit. If Josh looks like a fit, Winslow should put it in another gear.

Winslow (hopefully getting healthy), Dieng, Bell... jeebus that's a lot of defense to add to a team that already has athletic defenders like JJJ and Clarke. Melton too? It'll be interesting to see how well their defense evolves. The pieces are there - for sure.

For the last couple months this team has maintained a top 5 offense with Crowder averaging 9pts on 36% shooting at starting SF but I think despite finding the win column, their defense was ranked 24th I believe. Grizz called up Josh who's also a lengthy SF defender with some playmaking ability & traded for Winslow who if healthy really bolsters Crowders, teams SF position with not only defense but playmaking ability.

Jonas only plays 25mins a game, struggles defensively in certain situations. 3J has foul issues, struggles with staying on court. Dieng IMO would be a nice 15-20min defensive depth option to compliment both issues.

But ya the idea was to add defenders (Josh, Winslow, Dieng) to their top 5 offense. Where they were thin at C behind Jonas & Crowder was more productive in the locker room than on court at SF.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#222 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:54 am

Just kinda spitballing here. Memphis is setting themselves up halfway decently to add a potential elite guy to our young core. Ja and JJJ look like stars and we have a group of solid young contributors. Add in the two extra 1sts we own and it's an interesting war chest. We talked about Bradley Beal already, but I wonder if Booker could actually be a target. I could see him potentially getting upset in PHX and asking out. We'd have stiff competition for him (MIN would offer the moon, NYK are star hunting and would offer a large package, NOP and OKC have a ton of assets), but him getting fed by Ja would be something to watch. I think his defense would pick up some being on a competitive team as well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#223 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Just kinda spitballing here. Memphis is setting themselves up halfway decently to add a potential elite guy to our young core. Ja and JJJ look like stars and we have a group of solid young contributors. Add in the two extra 1sts we own and it's an interesting war chest. We talked about Bradley Beal already, but I wonder if Booker could actually be a target. I could see him potentially getting upset in PHX and asking out. We'd have stiff competition for him (MIN would offer the moon, NYK are star hunting and would offer a large package, NOP and OKC have a ton of assets), but him getting fed by Ja would be something to watch. I think his defense would pick up some being on a competitive team as well.

Memphis are set at PG/PF & C. Those positions have quality, versatility, depth as well as potential with Jonas, Dieng, 3J, Clarke, Tyus & Ja but they have a lot of questions with the SF/SG rotation to be answered before breaking the bank on a target.

set - Jonas/Dieng
set - 3J/Clarke

Winslow healthy?/Brooks ---- Josh retained FA?
Beal, Booker or Brooks?/Melton or Allen?

set - Ja/Tyus

Questions

1 - Brooks if he continues to grow as he has been could potentially be a cheaper alternative, with better defense than either Beal or Booker. Brooks is getting better by the day, is he starter material or 6th man at best?

2 - Melton's defense was the Catalyst for this teams current success. IMO, If Memphis get a healthy Winslow, he's the bigger, better version of Melton, which could allow Memphis to go with an offensive option like Beal or Booker at SG pushing Brooks into a 6th man role. What happens though, if Memphis don't get a healthy Winslow & they replace Melton's defense with an offensive option fielding 3 poor defenders at once with Jonas, Beal/Booker & Ja?.

3 - A healthy Winslow could make all the difference to the starting rotation being a very good versatile defender who can handle the secondary playmaking role. We have yet to see how a Ja, Brooks & Winslow backcourt functions to determine whether it makes more sense to keep the draft assets for future cap health, potential & ride it out with Brooks, Melton & Allen's cheap potential at SG or trade for the more consistent upgrade?.

4 - Josh is a wild card, Memphis own his bird rights, It's quite possible they could fluff his value for a S&T. I don't know if the 3pt line is different in the G'league but I'm not seeing a guy that averaged 40% on 6 attempts a game. However, if he starts to find that range,, do you give up on the 22yo's development for a more proven target at a higher cost?.

If Memphis determine Beal or Booker is needed they can beat any potential Minnesota offer. They will own all their future 1st's, Utah 2022, GS 2024. I can't see Minny beating that. Then there's young players like Melton, Allen & potentially Josh they can S&T.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#224 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:20 pm

With Jonas being 27 & Dieng 30, they're stop gap options for a core that's 20. If Memphis sees 3J as I do. Being more of a PF than C, I still have interest in targeting Mitch Robinson.

If Memphis can land Robinson in the offseason, they could also use DIeng as a valuable/productive expiring heading into the Giannis FA pool.

Just asked a Knick fan about Robinsons availability & price.

He said Robinson is not untouchable & referred to targets like Bogdonovich & Heild outside of bigger targets like Booker & to a lesser extent Beal due to age.

With Suns having Ayton, instead of Memphis targeting Booker, I'd help NY facilitate a 3 way trade for Robinson. Throw a lotto pick the Suns way. & ride with the defense of Robinson, Winslow & Brooks over Bookers offense. Pick up a shooter or 2 depending.

Brooks can shoot & Winslow despite shooting 22% in 11 games this season, shot 36% last year. He's arguably the worse shooter in the rotation once Morant becomes more willing from 3. (Jonas 40%, 3J 40%, Brooks 39%, Ja 38%)

Potential 2020 roster

Jonas / Robinson
3J / Clarke
Winslow / Anderson/Josh?
Brooks / Melton/Allen
Ja / Tyus

Dieng's contract used to recoup pick value.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#225 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:30 pm

I hadn't realize how good these 4 players are shooting the ball yet they let Philly effectively crowd the paint taking only 22 shots from 3 with them daring, mostly with the game out of reach.

What's Jenkins motto, let it fly?

Basketball Is a game of confidence. These players should have made Philly pay for daring them.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#226 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:15 pm

On the general board, it's saying GM's are preparing for Philly to trade either Joel or Ben.

I want no part of Joel but if they make Ben available he'd be my young star purchase for Memphis.

3J - Jonas - Clarke - Dieng - Bell

Simmons
Winslow

Ja - Brooks - Melton - Tyus - Allen

-3 starters capable of handling the ball & making plays. Ja with great court vision, the other 2 with size, length & strength.
-3J, Simmons & Winslow are big versatile defenders that can mix & match with Memphis big & small depth chart.
-All Memphis bigs, 3J, Jonas, Clarke & Dieng can shoot the 3 ball at very good efficiency to help space the paint.
-With the defensive potential, IMO this team would also be the best transition team in the NBA.

What about spacing?.

Jonas - 37% on 1.4 apg / Dieng 38% on 2.6 apg
3J - 39% on 6.5 apg / Clarke 42% on 1.1 apg

Simmons/Winslow

Brooks - 38% on 5.6 apg / Allen 36% on 3 apg
Ja - 37% on 2.1 apg / Tyus 38% on 1.8 apg
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#227 » by VCfor3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:22 pm

You'll have to give up some of your lineup in the Simmons deal. I think they'd want more than just picks since they are trying to win now.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#228 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm

VCfor3 wrote:You'll have to give up some of your lineup in the Simmons deal. I think they'd want more than just picks since they are trying to win now.

At this point other than shooting, I don't know what Philly would want in return.

For example, I'd target Washington/Suns for Beal or Booker with expiring/fillers, even cap space & picks to swap a scoring threat for Simmons where Memphis don't have to mess with their rotations other than fill salary.

It would most likely have to be Washington for an expiring pick based deal, as Suns want to make the playoffs.

But the general concept non the less.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#229 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Memphis trade - (Dieng, Anderson, Allen, Utah 2022 top4, GS 2024 top 4, Memphis FRP?) for (Simmons)

Washington trade - (Beal) for (Dieng expiring, Anderson, Allen, Utah 2022, GS 2024, Memphis FRP?)

Philly trade - (Simmons) for (Beal)

Memphis target one of Olynyk, Leonard or Baynes in 2020 FA to replace Dieng.

Simmons is 23 & under contract for 5 more seasons.

C - 3J (21) - Jonas ------ FA target = (Baynes/Leonard/Olynyk/Nerlens)?
PF - Clarke (24) - Bell
SF - Simmons (24) - Brooks (24)
SG - Winslow (24) - Melton (21)
PG - Ja (21) - Tyus (24)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#230 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:15 pm

Saw this posted on the Kings board.

"I am told if the Rockets and Celtics pull off a Capela trade there is a solid chance that Bogi or Hield could be dealt to the Rockets in a deal that may net the Kings 1 if not 2 1st round pics . Also if a trade was to happen it may be a trade converted to a 3 team trade".

I see a lot of interest in Hield on the Knicks board, with one poster telling me he'd deal Robinson for him.

Combining rumors & interest. Kings have Holmes, if they're interested in a pick or 2 for Hield. I'd offer up the Utah 2022 top 4 for Robinson. If Robinson can be had it gives Memphis the option to deal 31yo Dieng as a 16m expiring for 2021. Recoup the pick value given up for Robinson.

Knicks trade (Robinson, filler, late FRP) for (Hield).

Kings trade (Hield) for (Filler/s, Utah 2022 top 4, Knicks late FRP)

Memphis trade (Small filler, Utah 2022 top 4) for (Robinson).
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#231 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Just kinda spitballing here. Memphis is setting themselves up halfway decently to add a potential elite guy to our young core. Ja and JJJ look like stars and we have a group of solid young contributors. Add in the two extra 1sts we own and it's an interesting war chest. We talked about Bradley Beal already, but I wonder if Booker could actually be a target. I could see him potentially getting upset in PHX and asking out. We'd have stiff competition for him (MIN would offer the moon, NYK are star hunting and would offer a large package, NOP and OKC have a ton of assets), but him getting fed by Ja would be something to watch. I think his defense would pick up some being on a competitive team as well.

Memphis are set at PG/PF & C. Those positions have quality, versatility, depth as well as potential with Jonas, Dieng, 3J, Clarke, Tyus & Ja but they have a lot of questions with the SF/SG rotation to be answered before breaking the bank on a target.

set - Jonas/Dieng
set - 3J/Clarke

Winslow healthy?/Brooks ---- Josh retained FA?
Beal, Booker or Brooks?/Melton or Allen?

set - Ja/Tyus

Questions

1 - Brooks if he continues to grow as he has been could potentially be a cheaper alternative, with better defense than either Beal or Booker. Brooks is getting better by the day, is he starter material or 6th man at best?

2 - Melton's defense was the Catalyst for this teams current success. IMO, If Memphis get a healthy Winslow, he's the bigger, better version of Melton, which could allow Memphis to go with an offensive option like Beal or Booker at SG pushing Brooks into a 6th man role. What happens though, if Memphis don't get a healthy Winslow & they replace Melton's defense with an offensive option fielding 3 poor defenders at once with Jonas, Beal/Booker & Ja?.

3 - A healthy Winslow could make all the difference to the starting rotation being a very good versatile defender who can handle the secondary playmaking role. We have yet to see how a Ja, Brooks & Winslow backcourt functions to determine whether it makes more sense to keep the draft assets for future cap health, potential & ride it out with Brooks, Melton & Allen's cheap potential at SG or trade for the more consistent upgrade?.

4 - Josh is a wild card, Memphis own his bird rights, It's quite possible they could fluff his value for a S&T. I don't know if the 3pt line is different in the G'league but I'm not seeing a guy that averaged 40% on 6 attempts a game. However, if he starts to find that range,, do you give up on the 22yo's development for a more proven target at a higher cost?.

If Memphis determine Beal or Booker is needed they can beat any potential Minnesota offer. They will own all their future 1st's, Utah 2022, GS 2024. I can't see Minny beating that. Then there's young players like Melton, Allen & potentially Josh they can S&T.

Booker would not be a bad option for the Grizzlies to get after. He would still be playing for a young team. Albeit a better version where he doesn't have to bare the responsibility of leadership and can be accountable for what he does and learn the meaning of blending in with the Grizzlies concept of playing together and better defensively.

As for questions:

Brooks qualifies as a solid 6th Man in my book.

Melton has been reliable most of this season. The Grizzlies have roll the dice on Winslow now. It's up to him to get healthy and getting back to becoming reliable again. As for Melton. He's building his value up, if the opportunity were to come along to where he would help benefit the Grizzlies to netting back a more suitable player, then they do what they have to do.

As when the Morant, Brooks, Winslow backcourt will happen? That's a good question to ask. My thoughts are that it could happen in between mid to late March. Either way, it's safe to say that the real Winslow will not return until next season when he gets fully acclimated with the Grizzlies schemes and be fully condition to play with the team.

JoJack time with the team is in the air. He recently was called to the team. He has to get back into the swing of things to determine if he's worth keeping around or not. I will say around late March is when i will determine if he's worth keeping around or not for the Grizzlies.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#232 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 pm

SD2042 wrote: Booker would not be a bad option for the Grizzlies to get after. He would still be playing for a young team. Albeit a better version where he doesn't have to bare the responsibility of leadership and can be accountable for what he does and learn the meaning of blending in with the Grizzlies concept of playing together and better defensively.

As for questions:

Brooks qualifies as a solid 6th Man in my book.

Melton has been reliable most of this season. The Grizzlies have roll the dice on Winslow now. It's up to him to get healthy and getting back to becoming reliable again. As for Melton. He's building his value up, if the opportunity were to come along to where he would help benefit the Grizzlies to netting back a more suitable player, then they do what they have to do.

As when the Morant, Brooks, Winslow backcourt will happen? That's a good question to ask. My thoughts are that it could happen in between mid to late March. Either way, it's safe to say that the real Winslow will not return until next season when he gets fully acclimated with the Grizzlies schemes and be fully condition to play with the team.

JoJack time with the team is in the air. He recently was called to the team. He has to get back into the swing of things to determine if he's worth keeping around or not. I will say around late March is when i will determine if he's worth keeping around or not for the Grizzlies.

You see Brooks as a 6th man long term?. At the start of the year I wasn't seeing a starter either but there was a good stretch of games where he cleaned up his decision making that makes me think it's possible he could be a potential starting solution, especially when factoring the cost factor to acquiring a Booker or Beal. Both alternative options being better offensively, not defensively. If Brooks cleans up his decision making at 23, gives you 18-20pts a night with his defense, you'd still overpay for a Booker or Beal?.

Melton was the catalyst to this Memphis run of success, his defensive role was a big part of it, so IMO the target has to be a clear, significant upgrade for me to consider moving him. Winslow could help ease the blow but with his health concerns, I think I'd rather hold onto Melton & maybe even Jackson, if possible, for insurance purposes.

Hopefully Winslow can get healthy because he's Memphis best defensive option to contain a potential Lebron first round matchup.

Josh, like Melton are young untapped potential. I wouldn't want to risk giving up or selling low on either player but I also recognize it's a thin line between having promise & cutting bait on failed potential. I think for Memphis, it's clear Suns made a mistake dumping Melton & I think Josh is in that same boat of potential regret. I'd try to retain Jackson with either a year or 2 & a team option.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#233 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 am

Will one of y'all tell me how good Bruno Caboclu is?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#234 » by VCfor3 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:45 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Will one of y'all tell me how good Bruno Caboclu is?

Crazy wingspan. He shows flashes of being quite good but never seemed to really put it together. We tried playing him at center against true centers this year and it didn't go well for us. He was better last year as a 3/4. He is probably worth a flyer for a team looking for a 14th/15th man with a chance to crack a rotation, but could also be out of the league in a year or two.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#235 » by VCfor3 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm

There is a chance, per a report, that Gobert and Mitchell's relationship is beyond repair. One may be on the move. What potential trades could Memphis make, would you do it/would it be worth it, and would other teams beat us out (or UTA say no)?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#236 » by SD2042 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 pm

VCfor3 wrote:There is a chance, per a report, that Gobert and Mitchell's relationship is beyond repair. One may be on the move. What potential trades could Memphis make, would you do it/would it be worth it, and would other teams beat us out (or UTA say no)?

Even with the news indicating that the Jazz will not consider the move on either players.

That said, if I were Memphis, I would move on Donovan Mitchell. It could that moving 3J and a future pick to get it done. to get it done if the Grizzlies were to make such a move. Is Memphis willing to make sure a move for DM is the big question. The Jazz would have to add another player to match the salaries.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#237 » by NYG » Mon Jun 8, 2020 11:46 pm

Thomas Bryant and Jerome Robinson for Jonas Valanciunas? How is Val’s D?

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#238 » by psman2 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 5:12 am

NYG wrote:Thomas Bryant and Jerome Robinson for Jonas Valanciunas? How is Val’s D?

SD2042 wrote:

Average. However lights years ahead of Bryant. I value Val's vet experience and superior D and just as good offense over Bryant easily.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#239 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:16 am

psman2 wrote:
NYG wrote:Thomas Bryant and Jerome Robinson for Jonas Valanciunas? How is Val’s D?

SD2042 wrote:

Average. However lights years ahead of Bryant. I value Val's vet experience and superior D and just as good offense over Bryant easily.

JV is fairly decent in a lot of ways on defense, but he still is horrible at PnR defense and likely would get played off the court during playoffs. If Washington is focused on the regular season/making the playoffs then JV could help, but if they want to try and make a run during the playoffs I'd probably target someone else.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#240 » by NYG » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Would you add a protected pick to LaMarcus Aldridge for Kyle Anderson and Gorgui Dieng?

SD2042 wrote:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies