Andre Iguodala: Grizzlies Approached Me About Not Reporting

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Andre Iguodala: Grizzlies Approached Me About Not Reporting 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Andre Iguodala contends the Memphis Grizzlies approached him about not reporting to the team as they evaluated their trade options.

Some local media in Memphis acted like Iguodala was the one exercising all of the power in the situation.

"Well, that’s always going to be the case," Iguodala told Sam Amick of The Athletic. "That’s what I’m saying. That’s why I said I didn’t do anything special, and that’s why I’m saying that I’m joking about the ‘case study’ part because there was a mutual agreement. … It was brought to me, you understand what I’m saying? It was brought to me. The (Warriors) trade happens, and it’s brought to me, (and he’s told), 'Hey, we know you’re coming from this situation and, you know, it may not be ideal for you…'"

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,658

Re: Andre Iguodala: Grizzlies Approached Me About Not Reporting 

Post#2 » by shmoosicle » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:35 pm

I didn't understand Igoudala's quote in this wiretap, it may need more context, but the article is behind a paywall. I don't buy what he's saying though.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#3 » by birdlives_ma » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm

shmoosicle wrote:I didn't understand Igoudala's quote in this wiretap, it may need more context, but the article is behind a paywall. I don't buy what he's saying though.

Yeah, I don’t buy it either. Like, I’m sure he’s telling the truth about the Grizz approaching him, but of course they did. He made it clear from the gate that he didn’t want to be there, and they told him he could stay home because they didn’t want that energy around their younglings. The fact that they got out in front of it doesn’t make what he did any less unprofessional. I lost a lot of respect for him, and will actively be rooting for him to suck in Miami.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#4 » by alienpick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Funny how CP3 was man enough to report and play for a “lesser situation” but Iggy wasn’t. I’m sure the same things were discussed with Chris Paul and he still showed up for his team. You’re still an ass Iggy.
Sutureself
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#5 » by Sutureself » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Is it weird I can imagine a scenario where Grizzlies say, we're developing the kids, there won't be a lot of minutes for you, stay home and we'll try to trade you? Because I'm shocked they got as much for Iggy as they did. I wonder if his trade value would've been lower if people's most recent memory was him playing backup minutes on a young team, vs. being part of a contender.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#6 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Sutureself wrote:Is it weird I can imagine a scenario where Grizzlies say, we're developing the kids, there won't be a lot of minutes for you, stay home and we'll try to trade you? Because I'm shocked they got as much for Iggy as they did. I wonder if his trade value would've been lower if people's most recent memory was him playing backup minutes on a young team, vs. being part of a contender.

If only James Dolan, Scott Perry, Mike Miller could read this (about a very young playoff team)................
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#7 » by eureca20 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 pm

alienpick wrote:Funny how CP3 was man enough to report and play for a “lesser situation” but Iggy wasn’t. I’m sure the same things were discussed with Chris Paul and he still showed up for his team. You’re still an ass Iggy.

This may surprise you but those two situations aren't similar. CP3 has two years 85 million on his contract after this season. Iggy was an expiring contract. Memphis was always going to find a trade for Iggy so they allowed him to stay home. OKC wasn't just going to let a super max player to stay home for 3 years until his contract expired. CP3 is not a favorable contract currently.

If Memphis wanted Iggy to report he would have reported. It's not that complicated. You have to report to your team if you want your money. Andre wasn't going to give up his money. That is of course unless there is an agreement by both parties for you not to report.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#8 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm

I don't believe him. Why is he just saying this now? He caught a lot of flack for sitting on his ass at home collecting $17 mil from the Grizzlies for doing nothing, and now he's trying to save face.

Iguodala was the one who came out on social media when the trade was announced and said "Lmao! I ain't going to play for Memphis. Good luck with that." He doesn't realize the internet is forever. That's a total line of B.S.
Ksrbot
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Ksrbot » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:I don't believe him. Why is he just saying this now? He caught a lot of flack for sitting on his ass at home collecting $17 mil from the Grizzlies for doing nothing, and now he's trying to save face.

Iguodala was the one who came out on social media when the trade was announced and said "Lmao! I ain't going to play for Memphis. Good luck with that." He doesn't realize the internet is forever. That's a total line of B.S.

Saving face from who? You? Lmao. Don't make me laugh.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#10 » by alienpick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:23 am

:cry:
eureca20 wrote:
alienpick wrote:Funny how CP3 was man enough to report and play for a “lesser situation” but Iggy wasn’t. I’m sure the same things were discussed with Chris Paul and he still showed up for his team. You’re still an ass Iggy.

This may surprise you but those two situations aren't similar. CP3 has two years 85 million on his contract after this season. Iggy was an expiring contract. Memphis was always going to find a trade for Iggy so they allowed him to stay home. OKC wasn't just going to let a super max player to stay home for 3 years until his contract expired. CP3 is not a favorable contract currently.

If Memphis wanted Iggy to report he would have reported. It's not that complicated. You have to report to your team if you want your money. Andre wasn't going to give up his money. That is of course unless there is an agreement by both parties for you not to report.

OKC wanted to trade CP just as bad as the Griz wanted to trade Iggy. OKC almost had a trade to Miami but it didn’t work out. CP3 said NOTHING about not reporting to OKC whereas Iggy laughed for everyone to hear and said he’d never play for the Griz. They were both going into rebuilding situations. They seem pretty damn similar to me. Just different players attitudes. Paul was class and respected the game of basketball whereas Iggy was trash. If the Griz asked Iggy to report he would have thrown a fit and poisoned the locker room.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#11 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 am

Ksrbot wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:I don't believe him. Why is he just saying this now? He caught a lot of flack for sitting on his ass at home collecting $17 mil from the Grizzlies for doing nothing, and now he's trying to save face.

Saving face from who? You? Lmao. Don't make me laugh.

Is this your first day on the internet? Iguodala has been getting trashed for sitting at home on his ass & collecting a $17 mil paycheck from Memphis.

Why do you think he's making this statement? For **** & giggles or because everyone is roasting his ass?

Return to Wiretap Discussion