ImageImageImageImageImage

The offense and what it's supposed to be

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Re: The offense and what it's supposed to be 

Post#41 » by Clippers2020 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

One thing is for sure, if the NBA Finals games are close, the team with Kawhi has the advantage.
In fact Toronto won all the close games in that Bucks-Raptors series:
1. Bucks by 8
2. Bucks by 22
3. Raptors by 6
4. Raptors by 18
5. Raptors by 6
6. Raptors by 6
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#42 » by NippySudz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 pm

QRich3 wrote:I don't really buy the narrative that the Bucks are a better regular season team than a playoffs team. It's just based on recency bias because of last year's postseason, and they were this close to beat a Raptors team that was one of the best PS defenses ever.

This year they're even better, they're steamrolling the whole league, and they're the overwhelming favorites to win it all. If we managed to get to the Finals and ended up meetin them, we'd be the clear underdog and as things are now, I wouldn't feel confident at all.

the bucks have only played an above 500 opponent 18 times. Everyone else is around like 24 or so, but I agree not to underestimate the bucks.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#43 » by LamarWho » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:03 pm

At the end of the day, Glenn "Fraud" Rivers will be our biggest obstacle to a title this year.

We will need hero ball from Kawhi alot. You all know PG will be shooting 3-15 in big games.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#44 » by Dynamix » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm

LamarWho wrote:At the end of the day, Glenn "Fraud" Rivers will be our biggest obstacle to a title this year.

We will need hero ball from Kawhi alot. You all know PG will be shooting 3-15 in big games.

So our coach is the biggest obstacle, followed closely by our second best player. Might as well skip watching the playoffs if that's the case.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#45 » by nickhx2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm

let's be real here.

there are roster construction issues, lack of playing together issues, and players just not being good enough issues.

why didn't we go after that mobile PF/C who can defend the p/r, or a guy who can make up for lou's garbegness on defense? how is this team supposed to have any identity when half the starters are injured or sitting out every other game? how is this team going to win games when both lou and paul george have flops of a game?

all of these have way more bearing on this team's trials and tribulations than whatever doc rivers is or isn't doing.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#46 » by esqtvd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm

nickhx2 wrote:let's be real here.

there are roster construction issues, lack of playing together issues, and players just not being good enough issues.

why didn't we go after that mobile PF/C who can defend the p/r, or a guy who can make up for lou's garbegness on defense? how is this team supposed to have any identity when half the starters are injured or sitting out every other game? how is this team going to win games when both lou and paul george have flops of a game?

all of these have way more bearing on this team's trials and tribulations than whatever doc rivers is or isn't doing.

Yes, it's a players' league. The NFL is a coaches' league. [And a quarterback's league, of course.] If PG hits 7-of-15 instead of 3-of-15, we win.

And we miss Bev bad. And he'd be splitting those 4th quarter minutes with Lou, subbing in whenever we need D.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by NippySudz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 pm

nickhx2 wrote:let's be real here.

Load management and other injuries has hurt the continuity of this team but again, I have to ask you or anyone else , who in the west is leagues ahead of the clippers? My answer is no body. They have a shot to make it to the finals. Buyout market is still here and we get a battle tested center, I'm hoping.

Let's see how it plays out. If the 2017 golden State warriors were in the western conference, I'd be helluva worried but seeing how 1-3 are just hanging there, clippers have a shot.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#48 » by Clippers2020 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 am

Nobody in their right mind would say the Lakers are favorites to beat the Clippers in a 7-game series, that is for sure.
Based on what we've seen so far, the Clippers winning 4-1 or even 4-0 would not be a shock.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#49 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 pm

Clippers2020 wrote:Nobody in their right mind would say the Lakers are favorites to beat the Clippers in a 7-game series, that is for sure.
Based on what we've seen so far, the Clippers winning 4-1 or even 4-0 would not be a shock.

Cuttino said the same thing on Dan Patrick's show just now, and Dan agreed, as well as an unnamed NBA GM.

The Lakers have the bigs, but the NBA 2020 is about wings. We got 'em and they don't.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#50 » by SK21209 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

The more I watch this team the more I start to believe we're a year away. They've tried to shortcut the process of becoming a great team. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to flipping some switch in the playoffs; this group has barely played together and has accomplished absolutely nothing. I think we may have to learn a hard lesson this year.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:12 pm

SK21209 wrote:The more I watch this team the more I start to believe we're a year away. They've tried to shortcut the process of becoming a great team. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to flipping some switch in the playoffs; this group has barely played together and has accomplished absolutely nothing. I think we may have to learn a hard lesson this year.

This is what Kawhi meant by playing it cool, enjoying the process, and learning from adversity. Both Lou and PG were launching up shot after shot against the Sixers instead of moving the ball and it's no coincidence they were a combined 8-30 and were the reason we lost the game.

It's actually better we lost than get away with such undisciplined play. For his part, it was better Doc let them fail doing it their way rather than bring down a heavy hand demanding they do it his way.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2020-02-12/clippers-know-why-they-lost-to-76ers-lack-of-ball-movement

Look for a different team tonight vs Boston.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#52 » by LamarWho » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 pm

SK21209 wrote:The more I watch this team the more I start to believe we're a year away. They've tried to shortcut the process of becoming a great team. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to flipping some switch in the playoffs; this group has barely played together and has accomplished absolutely nothing. I think we may have to learn a hard lesson this year.

We are a head coach away from a title. If Nick Nurse is our coach I'll feel much more confident this year.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 pm

LamarWho wrote:

We are a head coach away from a title. If Nick Nurse is our coach I'll feel much more confident this year.

You say that after he's been proven. You only feel confident because he won with leonard. Go to the raptors board. earlier in the season and even earlier in the championshop season and you'll find threads of people calling him Nick thibodeau and an overrated coach.

if he was a first year head coach with the clippers and had this record with injuries and what not, people would be giving him **** here too.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 pm

What process are they shortcutting? They're going through the process right now. The only way to get kawhi was to get paul george so they had to give up those picks. You could have SGA and gallo and build it that way if you want. the likelihood of being close to a title contention yr is not likely

The raptors didn't win with draft picks, they won with trades, marc and kawhi specifically.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#55 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 pm

NippySudz wrote:
LamarWho wrote:

You say that after he's been proven. You only feel confident because he won with leonard. Go to the raptors board. earlier in the season and even earlier in the championshop season and you'll find threads of people calling him Nick thibodeau and an overrated coach.

LOL

if he was a first year head coach with the clippers and had this record with injuries and what not, people would be giving him **** here too.

Or giving him credit for accomplishing what they refuse to give Doc credit for accomplishing with this mess. [even bigger LOL]
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#56 » by SK21209 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm

NippySudz wrote:

What process are they shortcutting? They're going through the process right now. The only way to get kawhi was to get paul george so they had to give up those picks. You could have SGA and gallo and build it that way if you want. the likelihood of being close to a title contention yr is not likely

The raptors didn't win with draft picks, they won with trades, marc and kawhi specifically.

The process of actually trying in the regular season. Of actually playing with some intensity on a consistent basis. Comparing them to the Raptors is apples to oranges. The Raptors upgraded DeRozan and Valanciunus with Kawhi and Gasol; basically two better versions of the same kind of player. Those guys knew how to play with each other. Our team does not.

Milwaukee can win when Giannis is out because they have a defined system and, whether Giannis is out there or not, those guys think they're the better team every single night and play like it.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#57 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 pm

SK21209 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

The process of actually trying in the regular season. Of actually playing with some intensity on a consistent basis. Comparing them to the Raptors is apples to oranges. The Raptors upgraded DeRozan and Valanciunus with Kawhi and Gasol; basically two better versions of the same kind of player. Those guys knew how to play with each other. Our team does not.

Milwaukee can win when Giannis is out because they have a defined system and, whether Giannis is out there or not, those guys think they're the better team every single night and play like it.

And not only that, but the Clippers don't yet know what works and what doesn't with this personnel grouping. Doc has concepts for our offense and defense--and lets give him credit, we're in the top 5 or 6 in both--but you have to adapt the system for the athletes you have--particularly the dinosaur 7-footer and undersized action guy that is our two-headed center.

I don't know if Kawhi is really a DeRozan and Gasol is definitely not a Valanciunas type, but your point holds--both the Bucks and Raptors of 2020 can play their system even without their superstar. So could the Spurs of most of the past 15 years.

But Nippy is also correct here

What process are they shortcutting? They're going through the process right now.

I think we're closer than we think. We just need a month of running on all cylinders. BTW, we're only 7-7 without Pat Bev, so figure that in too. There's your intensity, in a bottle.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:44 pm

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
LamarWho wrote:

LOL

Or giving him credit for accomplishing what they refuse to give Doc credit for accomplishing with this mess. [even bigger LOL]
I'm not joking. Even after winning the title, not even in two months into the regular season they were digging into their championship head coach. Who does that??

This is why I don't take coaching posts seriously.. whatever decision the front office makes with coaching, I trust their judgement. Raptors felt it was time for a change, they changed it. Heat didn't fire Erik spoelstra after every1 called for his head, they win two titles and he's one of the best Eastern conference coaches. People criticise Lakers for not hiring Tyron lue and the Lakers hire Frank Vogel and they're the number 1 seed.

We fans like to think we know all the **** sometimes but we really don't.

People should give doc a chance. Kawhi asked for a championship head coach and he got that in doc rivers. If it comes down to Frank Vogel vs doc in the western conf, I believe in doc.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49 pm

SK21209 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

I agree, this team has continuity to figure out but we have had ups and downs. Guys been out. And our bench has been terrible for a month.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#60 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 pm

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:You say that after he's been proven. You only feel confident because he won with leonard. Go to the raptors board. earlier in the season and even earlier in the championshop season and you'll find threads of people calling him Nick thibodeau and an overrated coach.

LOL

I'm not joking. Even after winning the title, not even in two months into the regular season they were digging into their championship head coach. Who does that??

hilarious
moronic
heinous

tragic

:noway:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers