Celtics are retiring KGs #5 next season

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ItsMyPotPie
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Re: Celtics are retiring KGs #5 next season 

Post#21 » by ItsMyPotPie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 am

2040's Celtics player would be on court wearing triple digits xD
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#22 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 am

ItsMyPotPie wrote:2040's Celtics player would be on court wearing triple digits xD

Celtics retire the numbers of champions. I hope you are right
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,800

Post#23 » by Triple M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 am

Before KG the Celtics were not relevant, and after him, we've become one of the premier teams in the league.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946

Post#24 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:Isn’t there bad blood between KG and the owner of the Wolves? This is the right move by Boston, KG helped them win a ring and embraced Boston as soon as he got there. Glad the Celts are doing this.

Yup. Glen Taylor reneged on a promise to sell the team.

Which is ridiculous on KG's part to think he had any sort of agreement with them when he was a player, since that goes against the CBA and would probably result in Joe Smith 2.0 penalties for the Wolves. But KG still holds it against the Wolves for some pathetic reason....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#25 » by Chronz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:55 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:15pts & 8reb can get u a jersey in the rafters in boston now , wow

umm have you not seen who the celtics have retired?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:57 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is 100% on KG.

I'd honestly start assigning the number again. Give it to the worst possible player and them give them tons of playing time.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#27 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:59 am

Triple M wrote:Before KG the Celtics were not relevant, and after him, we've become one of the premier teams in the league.

Garnett is absolutely one of the most underrated players in NBA history, mostly cause he has only 1 ring. Still wonder what it would've been had he no had that knee injury...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:01 am

Triple M wrote:Before KG the Celtics were not relevant, and after him, we've become one of the premier teams in the league.

You must be young....Bill Russell? Larry Bird? Ever heard of those players from a not relevant franchise?

lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#29 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:15pts & 8reb can get u a jersey in the rafters in boston now , wow

Read on Twitter

my comment was in jest, as a laker fan we played u guys back to back in the finals and you gave us a 7game battle , he was a huge factor i was being facetious
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#30 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is 100% on KG.

I'd honestly start assigning the number again. Give it to the worst possible player and them give them tons of playing time.

I don't think KG would give a ****. He's not going to let Glen Taylor make another dollar off of him.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,385

Post#31 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:43 am

My favorite Celtic ever
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,892

Post#32 » by Sofia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 am

The year is 2080.

Lebron James V has just secured Finals MVP to top off his Regular Season MVP, an incredible season for which he will go down as an all time Celtic great.

One day, they will retire that green letter K uniform he wears. No one thought the letter K would be in the rafters in Boston, alongside numbers 0, 00 and 1 - 99.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#33 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 am

YES!

Can't wait! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEE
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#34 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:29 am

Klomp wrote:

You must be young....Bill Russell? Larry Bird? Ever heard of those players from a not relevant franchise?

He obviously meant from mid-90s until 2007. Come on now.
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#35 » by AssistRubio » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:03 am

Glen Taylor doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt. He's an absolute idiot and that's been proven time and time again.

We have no idea what was promised to KG while Flip was still alive. But it's pretty easy to side with KG. Obviously something went awry (again) with Glen after Flip tragically passed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 am

AssistRubio wrote:We have no idea what was promised to KG while Flip was still alive. But it's pretty easy to side with KG. Obviously something went awry (again) with Glen after Flip tragically passed.

When Flip was alive, Garnett was still a player under contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In other words, teams aren't allowed to put anything into a player's contract that wasn't negotiated between the league and players association and included in the CBA.

The CBA also has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement.

Examples of conduct considered to be circumvention include:
A team owner allowing a player to invest in a business or investment fund controlled by the owner or a friend of the owner.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#37 » by AssistRubio » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 am

Klomp wrote:
AssistRubio wrote:We have no idea what was promised to KG while Flip was still alive. But it's pretty easy to side with KG. Obviously something went awry (again) with Glen after Flip tragically passed.

When Flip was alive, Garnett was still a player under contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In other words, teams aren't allowed to put anything into a player's contract that wasn't negotiated between the league and players association and included in the CBA.

The CBA also has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement.

A team owner allowing a player to invest in a business or investment fund controlled by the owner or a friend of the owner.

I know. The only reason he came back the 2nd time around because of Flip.

Again, we don't know the talks they had behind closed doors.

You do realize just how bad of an owner Glen Taylor is, correct? It could be argued he is the worst owner in all of sports.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:26 am

AssistRubio wrote:Again, we don't know the talks they had behind closed doors.

KG's whole beef has to do with the fact that he says Flip promised him something and Glen backed out after Flip's death. But they COULDN'T have promised him anything because it would've been a CBA violation as Garnett was still a player at the time.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#39 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:26 am

Klomp wrote:

It goes beyond just being promised ownership. KG was also unhappy about how the team handled their tribute to Flip. Let's also not forget that Taylor also threw KG under the bus after he got traded to the Celtics, implying that had faked a leg injury.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:35 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:It goes beyond just being promised ownership. KG was also unhappy about how the team handled their tribute to Flip. Let's also not forget that Taylor also threw KG under the bus after he got traded to the Celtics, implying that had faked a leg injury.

It was actually before the whole tribute drama.

When you went back to the Timberwolves, you talked about having a bigger role in the organization. Getting a stake in the team, having a role in the front office, maybe even one day being the majority owner. Is that still a goal of yours?

It seemed like it was perfect for how Flip organized and put it together and designed it. Obviously when he left us, Glen saw differently and wanted to go a different way. I’ve always said I wanted to be a part of an organization that is about winning more progressively, in that direction. Minnesota seemed like a perfect fit for that. That has changed. I don’t see myself doing that any time soon, but that still is a goal of mine. I would like to be part of an organization that is part of winning, that I can help the young guys progress. So that’s still a dream but not a priority at this point.

Is that disappointing for you, that it fell apart? Obviously, Flip’s death was a huge tragedy, but beyond that, seeing that kind of dream in that market that loved you so much, seeing that become less of a reality, is that a disappointment?
A little bit. A little bit. To say Debbie Downer is an understatement. It was a huge disappointment and one that showed me the true Glen Taylor. It showed me how he really feels. When this guy got the team, it was worth $90 million. When I left it, it was worth somewhere in the $400 (millions). That was never taken into account in my value or none of that. I guess I served my purpose, and I was on to the next. So it’s all good. So it’s all good. I’m moving on and taking my ball and playing somewhere else. (Laughs.)

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/kevin-garnett-tnt-area-21-glen-taylor-timberwolves-ownership

The "I'm taking my ball and playing somewhere else" attitude is so childish, yet perfectly encapsulates Garnett. Look at how he feuded with Marbury after Steph said he wanted to leave Minnesota. Look at the whole Ray Allen thing. I'm starting to think the Celtic championship team actually had two Big Babys on the roster.

Return to The General Board