Celtics are retiring KGs #5 next season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Celtics are retiring KGs #5 next season 

Post#41 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am

Klomp wrote:
It was actually before the whole tribute drama.

Say what? You just posted quotes from an interview that took place AFTER the tribute drama.

Also, why would KG be under the impression that he would have a role with the team unless it was promised to him? The guy was obviously promised some things before he agreed to waive his NTC while he was in Brooklyn.

You're acting as if Glen Taylor has never made an under-the-table agreement before, which we all know is far from true. :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#42 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:00 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Klomp wrote:
It was actually before the whole tribute drama.

Say what? You just posted quotes from an interview that took place AFTER the tribute drama.

Ooops you're right. Not sure why he didn't bring it up then in that interview if that's such a big part of his beef. But I did find another.

But again, KG wasn't even there and he declined to include a tribute of his own. And even when he's so upset about it, he can't keep himself out of it.

You couldn’t put a Flip banner in Target Center, some place that we helped build? ... We established that market. I helped grow that with him. You can’t put him in the (rafters)?

https://apnews.com/35a5b9d48385424bb12e923a87c601dd

From the same article, three years ago: Taylor told the AP in February that the Wolves reached out to Garnett in hopes of arranging a ceremony to retire his jersey.

The invitation has been open 3 years. Minnesota wants it to happen. Only thing holding it up is KG and his ego.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
kinste
Sophomore
And1: 292

Post#43 » by kinste » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am

There are too many numbers retired in the NBA right now. In my opinion only the number of really really great players who played long enough with one team should be retired. Garnett only played there for 6 years, they won one title and he avarged 15 points and 9 boards. Yeah i get all the leadership and stuff like that, but for me that is not enough. Especially for a franchise like the Celtics.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#44 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:35 am

Klomp wrote:From the same article, three years ago: Taylor told the AP in February that the Wolves reached out to Garnett in hopes of arranging a ceremony to retire his jersey.

The invitation has been open 3 years. Minnesota wants it to happen. Only thing holding it up is KG and his ego.

Or maybe Glen Taylor can apologize to KG for backing out on his promises.

You do realize that the Wolves also tried to trade KG after Flip died, right? Flip signed him to a 2 year deal so he could mentor KAT and Wiggins, but once Flip was out of the picture, Taylor wanted to ship him out again.

Do you honestly think KG is angry for no reason?
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#45 » by grindtime22 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 am

kinste wrote:There are too many numbers retired in the NBA right now. In my opinion only the number of really really great players who played long enough with one team should be retired. Garnett only played there for 6 years, they won one title and he avarged 15 points and 9 boards. Yeah i get all the leadership and stuff like that, but for me that is not enough. Especially for a franchise like the Celtics.

Its just different with KG

15 and 9, 15 and 9, 15 and 9 is just blah blah blah. His impact was 30 and 15 when he was on the court. His impact was always defensive player of the year level. The entire culture changed when he walked in the building and he has continually embraced the Celtics. The person most responsible for that last banner being up is clearly KG and it isn't remotely close.

He was a monster

https://www.cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/1244/onoff#tab-team_efficiency
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:15pts & 8reb can get u a jersey in the rafters in boston now , wow

-- Defensive play.
-- Defensive and general leadership.
-- Top 3 in MVP voting, which is I think is the 5th highest peak placement in Celtic history, behind MVPs Cousy, Russell, Cowens and Bird. (A lot of guys finished 4th or 5th, however, including Sharman, Havlicek, Sam Jones, Parish, McHale and Thomas.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#47 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

Bonus -- the same number was used for another of the greatest short stints in Celtic history:

ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#48 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am

kinste wrote:There are too many numbers retired in the NBA right now. In my opinion only the number of really really great players who played long enough with one team should be retired. Garnett only played there for 6 years, they won one title and he avarged 15 points and 9 boards. Yeah i get all the leadership and stuff like that, but for me that is not enough. Especially for a franchise like the Celtics.

You don't understand how much KG means to the Celtics organization and the fans if you're bringing up his stats. Like as if that's the reason the organization shouldn't retire his number. Celtics fans stand by this decision 100% and I'm glad the team feels the same way.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#49 » by Gooner » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:What I've posted on our forum:

Only Celtic who deserves his number retired after playing only for a brief period.

Well deserved, without question. He changed the culture of the Celtics. No KG, no Championship, and our leader's (Pierce) career would have ended up differently.

KG may have only wore the Celtic uniform for 6 years, but he is a Celtic through and through.

What about Kyrie Irving?
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,535

Post#50 » by KGtabake » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

My username. The end. Well deserved, thank you KG.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#51 » by marcush » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

Such a great player. Tough, talented and unselfish.
Yinwest
Rookie
And1: 1,481

Post#52 » by Yinwest » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:01 am

34 and 5 are meant to be together, KG forever!!
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#53 » by packforfreedom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am

So glad he found success after all, he really turned to Celtics around.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,144

Post#54 » by Froob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Klomp wrote:
AssistRubio wrote:We have no idea what was promised to KG while Flip was still alive. But it's pretty easy to side with KG. Obviously something went awry (again) with Glen after Flip tragically passed.

When Flip was alive, Garnett was still a player under contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In other words, teams aren't allowed to put anything into a player's contract that wasn't negotiated between the league and players association and included in the CBA.

The CBA also has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement.

Examples of conduct considered to be circumvention include:
A team owner allowing a player to invest in a business or investment fund controlled by the owner or a friend of the owner.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

It goes beyond just being promised ownership. KG was also unhappy about how the team handled their tribute to Flip. Let's also not forget that Taylor also threw KG under the bus after he got traded to the Celtics, implying that had faked a leg injury.

Damn, feel bad for T wolves fans. I don’t blame KG but they deserve better. Hopefully he’ll let them retire it down the road.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#55 » by freethedevil » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 pm

grindtime22 wrote:

Its just different with KG

15 and 9, 15 and 9, 15 and 9 is just blah blah blah. His impact was 30 and 15 when he was on the court. His impact was always defensive player of the year level. The entire culture changed when he walked in the building and he has continually embraced the Celtics. The person most responsible for that last banner being up is clearly KG and it isn't remotely close.

He was a monster

https://www.cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/1244/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

One of the silly errors I see from casuals is their use of the word "Hypothetical." Impact is not a hypothetical, it is something that happened. You know what's a hypothetical? "If x was y...x would have won z", aka rings, a cruder version of the stats casuals are illiterate with.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#56 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:

You don't understand how much KG means to the Celtics organization and the fans if you're bringing up his stats. Like as if that's the reason the organization shouldn't retire his number. Celtics fans stand by this decision 100% and I'm glad the team feels the same way.

The Celtics also have an ethos of not caring that much about stats. Red Auerbach famously promised Bill Russell never to mention stats in a salary negotiation. No Celtic has ever led the league in scoring. Larry Bird declined going back into a game for a chance at a quadruple double.

The only major counterexample I recall is McHale breaking the franchise single-game scoring record that had stood for 30 years ... and Bird breaking McHale's record a few days later. :)
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#57 » by Side beard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Celtics will be the first NBA team to have 3 digit numbers on players back.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#58 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Side beard wrote:Celtics will be the first NBA team to have 3 digit numbers on players back.

Celtics lobbied the league a few years ago to let the team use 01, 02, 03, etc but were denied. :lol:
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,219

Post#59 » by itrsteve » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:15pts & 8reb can get u a jersey in the rafters in boston now , wow

How old are you? Honest question.

If you’re under the age of 12 then you get a pass.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#60 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah 15 points, 8 rebounds, 3 ECF appearances, 2 Finals appearances and an NBA championship in 6 seasons. In the previous 20 seasons before his arrival they had 2 ECF appearances, 0 Finals appearances, 0 titles, and 2 sub 20 win seasons.

Go ahead and keep hating though.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”

Return to The General Board