ImageImageImageImageImage

Eddy Curry in his own words: The Truth Was Way Worse

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Eddy Curry in his own words: The Truth Was Way Worse 

Post#1 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Happy to see the man seemingly in a better place, but you can tell he's been changed by the tumult and tragedy in his life. This is a really sobering read.

Also, he gives details about the infamous situation with the driver, which is turns out was a pure money grab. Totally crazy.

This dude got thrust into the limelight with no support, got chewed up and spit out by everyone from the League to his own family - except for his wife.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

People got jokes.

Everyone, it seems like.

Jokes for days.

When the topic is Eddy Curry, the jokes just come easy. It’s been that way for more than a decade. And even after all these years that I’ve been out of the league, when my name comes up online or on social media or whatever, somehow a bunch of people … still got jokes.

It’s like … Eddy Curry?

Do you remember how fat that guy was? OMG OMG LOLOLOL.

Or

How do you play in the NBA and get your house foreclosed on, bro? Like, wow. Come on, son. Hahaha.

Or

I heard that dude actually tried to have sex with the guy who was his personal driver. LOLOLOL. WTF, bro? Dude had issues.

And then basically everyone just LOLs together online and has a good time at my expense.

Hahahaha. LOL, bro. HAHAHA. Fat-ass, broke-ass Eddy Curry. HAHAHAHAHAHA. What a joke!

I’m 37 now, a grown-ass man. So I can take it. People can say whatever they want. I’ll live.

But at the same time … you know what? People really do need to know something.

People need to realize that….

Not everything is a joke, bro.

The crying-laughing emoji doesn’t apply to literally everything in the universe. Not everything is hilarious.

I mean, you know what isn’t funny? Here you go … here’s something that isn’t funny.

January 24, 2009. I’m with the Knicks. On the road in Philly, middle of the game. I’m sitting on the bench in street clothes when I feel a tap on my shoulder.

“Yo, Eddy! They need you in the back. You gotta go to the trainer’s room.”

I figure it’s something to do with why I wasn’t playing, but when I get back there one of my friends with the Knicks comes up to me legit crying — like his eyes are all red and there are tears on his face. I have no idea what’s up. He just tells me to call my assistant but won’t say anything more.

So I grab my phone and dial.

When my guy picks up, I ask what’s going on, and there’s about a one- or two-second pause. Then it’s….

“Bro, Nova is dead, bro. They killed her.”

You hear words like that and … I’m telling you … it’s the furthest thing from funny.

“I’m here on the scene now. There’s blood everywhere, bro. I think the baby may be dead, too.”

That sh*t right there, yeah … that sh*t is not funny.

A lot of people don’t know about Nova.

I saw her on and off for a few years while I was with the Knicks. We had two kids together.

On the day Nova was murdered — shot down in cold blood back home in Chicago — one of the many people who didn’t know about her was my wife, Patrice.

Patrice also didn’t know about the children I’d had with Nova — my 10-month-old daughter, Ava, and her three-year-old brother, Noah.

I kept it a secret. All of it. For years.

So as I’m on the phone learning that my infant daughter and her mother had just been murdered … I’m also coming to grips with the fact that my marriage of nearly four years would almost certainly be over.

There would be no more covering anything up.

All I really felt like I could do at that point was cry.

I just stood there bawling my eyes out about … everything.

Then, in about 10 or 15 seconds, stuff started happening a mile a minute — phone ringing off the hook, information overload, funeral plans, and on and on.

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,967

Re: Eddy Curry in his own words: The Truth Was Way Worse 

Post#2 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm

I read that this morning. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a Patrice.

Above all else, this is an article about a man who learned how to set boundaries for himself. He just didn't know how to keep trouble out of his life - common for dudes in their 20s. It's good to hear that he grew up from that and honestly, he even looks better now than he did in his playing days.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#3 » by GONYK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Honestly, a very powerful article from Eddy. I am glad he is in a better place with better people.

He's extremely lucky his wife stayed with him. I would hate to see where he would be otherwise.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Post#4 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Man, did Eddy go through a rough patch...smh
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,902

Post#5 » by Jeffrey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:26 pm

That insurance thing was fcking unreal. His friend had the balls to say that?! There are some really fcked up ppl in this world.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#6 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 pm

I remember one time that his monthly bills came out, he was paying something like 15,000 a month for friends and family. He always came across as a nice person, unfortunately very easy to take advantage of. It’s a damn shame everything that happened to him in his personal life, glad that he found some peace. As a basketball player, let’s just say he left a lot to be annoyed with.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
nynixlive
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#7 » by nynixlive » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm

That was a powerful message and article. I am not making fun of him at all. Perception is reality. And he had it rough.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#8 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 am

nynixlive wrote:That was a powerful message and article. I am not making fun of him at all. Perception is reality. And he had it rough.

Facts.
The terribly inducting part of this is it was happening real time. We didn’t know the depth but this isn’t our first time hearing most of this. We just didn’t care. I was never with the fat jokes or extra but still, sorry Eddy.
We have to be better.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,612

Post#9 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:13 am

Damn...

Yea, I definitely said stuff about Eddy over the years.

This quote also struck me. People always feel like money solves everything.

The other thing I realized, though, beyond a shadow of a doubt, was this: Money most definitely cannot solve your problems.

Money isn’t going to bring people back or make people forget about what you’ve done.

Sometimes all money can do is pay for a nicer funeral.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#10 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 am

No mention of his father. Nobody to lead him into manhood and protect him.
1 John 2 : 15-17
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#11 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 am

Blockwatcher wrote:No mention of his father. Nobody to lead him into manhood and protect him.

Word. I remember before he got drafted there was a show called “Preps” that highlighted all of these high school players from Chicago. Eddy and Sean Dockery (played at Duke) and there was another kid I think played at Kentucky. It was like a reality show almost. And I remember it “looking like” Eddy came from a solid family structure. At least I had that in my head but I really don’t recall a father off the top.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#12 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:17 am

damn
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#13 » by duetta » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 am

Curry is one of those guys who would have been better off spending four years in college, giving himself an opportunity to learn to think, to emotionally mature a bit, and absorb the finer points of the game, before entering the pros. He got his money all right, but he ended up with nothing at the end.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#14 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 am

Hope there are no more jokes about him.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#15 » by Knick4Real » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:42 pm

This article just goes to show, you never know what people might be going through. Everything isn't always as it seems.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#16 » by NYKAL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:00 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:Hope there are no more jokes about him.

it doesn't excuse the extreme suck ass play he showed prior to those tragedies.
RShahNyC89
Junior
And1: 404

Post#17 » by RShahNyC89 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 pm

You would think a multi billion dollar industry and a player association would have basic foundations teaching and support for players active and retired.

Crazy that these industries are so quick to use you for your brand and talents and then dump you when no longer profitable.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#18 » by Billy Goat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:22 pm

duetta wrote:Curry is one of those guys who would have been better off spending four years in college, giving himself an opportunity to learn to think, to emotionally mature a bit, and absorb the finer points of the game, before entering the pros. He got his money all right, but he ended up with nothing at the end.

For sure. I feel like we’re seeing these situations less and less. These kids are not going to public high schools anymore. The days of Lenny Cooke and Curry washing out full on don’t seem to happen as much. At least it doesn’t seem like it.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#19 » by nedleeds » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#20 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Seriously all of you can go suck a dick. Heartless mother fkers on this board been making jokes on his behalf for years. This was just 1 tragic event that happened during this time..What about the others?

i always defended Curry from the bashing post Knick career. His tragedies were made very public. I wasnt a fan of the initial trade we made for Curry and wasnt much of a fan of his when he was here...As a Basketball player...But he is a still a human... At the end of the day he bleeds/sleeps and has personal **** in his life too.

A lot of yall and people in general have no compassion or heart. For a human being.. only care about the sport and wins/losses. Selfish, heartless mother ****.

Return to New York Knicks