Celtics To Retire Kevin Garnett Jersey Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Celtics To Retire Kevin Garnett Jersey Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:11 am

The Boston Celtics revealed that they will retire Kevin Garnett's No. 5 jersey next season.

The team announced the decision via a video on the jumbotron during their 141-133 double overtime win over the Clippers.

Garnett will be the 24th retired jersey in franchise history.

"I'm honored and thankful to have my number retired with the Celtics. I will always have immense respect and appreciation for ownership, Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers, my past teammates and Celtic Nation!" said Garnett in a statement. 

Doc Rivers discussed how Garnett changed the culture of the franchise. 

"I've often said about him, he's the greatest superstar role player ever. He was a superstar, but he played his role for the team anyway, somehow. I don't know how he did that, but he did it. He changed the culture of this franchise. He really did. We needed a guy like that to come to the franchise, and he did that and it's still here. It hasn't left since. That was all Garnett."

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Celtics To Retire Kevin Garnett Jersey Next Season 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Awesome player, even better teammate. A great Celtic:

“He did a lot of good things that people don’t know,” Rivers said. “When rookies came in, he would bring them up to my office. He’d sit them down, and then he would bring his tailor in and say, ‘If you want to be a pro, you’ve got to dress like a pro.’ And he would buy each rookie two suits, and he did it every year. To me, that says a lot about Kevin Garnett as a teammate.”
https://www.ignboards.com/threads/kevin-garnett-bought-two-suits-for-every-rookie-every-year.453351775/
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
OogaBooga
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Celtics To Retire Kevin Garnett Jersey Next Season 

Post#3 » by OogaBooga » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 am

KG's personality through his focus and determination to win a championship and make everyone else around him believe they are champions as well was amazing on the celtics. Love that dude.

Return to Wiretap Discussion