Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Re: The offense and what it's supposed to be 

Post#61 » by XTC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 am

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:You say that after he's been proven. You only feel confident because he won with leonard. Go to the raptors board. earlier in the season and even earlier in the championshop season and you'll find threads of people calling him Nick thibodeau and an overrated coach.

LOL

if he was a first year head coach with the clippers and had this record with injuries and what not, people would be giving him **** here too.

Or giving him credit for accomplishing what they refuse to give Doc credit for accomplishing with this mess. [even bigger LOL]
I'm not joking. Even after winning the title, not even in two months into the regular season they were digging into their championship head coach. Who does that??

This is why I don't take coaching posts seriously.. whatever decision the front office makes with coaching, I trust their judgement. Raptors felt it was time for a change, they changed it. Heat didn't fire Erik spoelstra after every1 called for his head, they win two titles and he's one of the best Eastern conference coaches. People criticise Lakers for not hiring Tyron lue and the Lakers hire Frank Vogel and they're the number 1 seed.

We fans like to think we know all the **** sometimes but we really don't.

People should give doc a chance. Kawhi asked for a championship head coach and he got that in doc rivers. If it comes down to Frank Vogel vs doc in the western conf, I believe in doc.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

It was literally a couple posters calling out Nurse for not playing the bench, but alright if that makes you feel better. Nurse is a legend in Toronto because of his ability to go deep into the playbooks, and I’ll say 90% of Raptors fans don’t ever want to let him go.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the loss tonight though, Kawhi just looked gassed and I’ll say 9/10 times he doesn’t play like that again, and Tatum doesn’t go off the way he did tonight either. These type of games are important as they simulate playoff intensity, it’s better to go through these growing troubles now rather than the playoffs.

Good game Clips!
Clippers2020
Junior
And1: 177

Post#62 » by Clippers2020 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Even though Boston aren't much of a championship contender (obviously a notch below Milwaukee), there really is no shame losing a game at Boston in double-OT.
I mean in a 7-game series a decent team is supposed to win most of their home games, so Boston were supposed to win this game.
It just feels like a 'failure' because we would like to be seeded higher than Denver, so all losses hurt, especially 2 in a row.
But we came excruciatingly close to winning at Boston despite Kawhi having an uncharacteristic finish.
Overall we played a really good game, while Boston probably feel on top of the world despite almost losing at home....
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#63 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm

NippySudz wrote:People should give doc a chance.

You say this like it's Doc's first year as a head coach. He's been the Clippers' head coach for seven seasons now and we've seen the same exact issues over and over again, no matter who's on our roster. And the results - no WCF appearances, no Finals appearances, no rings - haven't changed either.

We don't have time to hope that Doc magically turns into a Stevens/Pop/Spo tier coach when Kawhi and PG are on short-term deals. The Clippers need to move on from him this offseason if he disappoints in the playoffs again.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#64 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:16 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

You say this like it's Doc's first year as a head coach. He's been the Clippers' head coach for seven seasons now and we've seen the same exact issues over and over again, no matter who's on our roster. And the results - no WCF appearances, no Finals appearances, no rings - haven't changed either.

We don't have time to hope that Doc magically turns into a Stevens/Pop/Spo-tier coach when Kawhi and PG are on short-term deals. The Clippers need to move on from him this offseason if he disappoints in the playoffs again.
And if the replacement Doesn't deliver?

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#65 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

We don't have time to hope that Doc magically turns into a Stevens/Pop/Spo-tier coach when Kawhi and PG are on short-term deals. The Clippers need to move on from him this offseason if he disappoints in the playoffs again.

Then they'd have to address that when it happens.

But let's be real: Ballmer and the current front office have been right about almost every basketball decision they've made for the past couple years, even controversial ones like the Blake trade. I see no reason to believe that they wouldn't find the right coach if they decide to move on from Doc.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:22 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:You say this like it's Doc's first year as a head coach. He's been the Clippers' head coach for seven seasons now and we've seen the same exact issues over and over again, no matter who's on our roster. And the results - no WCF appearances, no Finals appearances, no rings - haven't changed either.

Then they'd have to address that when it happens.

But let's be real, Ballmer and the current front office didn't hire Doc. They've been right about almost every basketball decision they've made for the past couple years, even controversial ones like the Blake trade. I see no reason to believe that they'd find the right coach if they decide to move on from Doc.
He didn't but balmer extended him it's not like doc was locked in. Balmer needs to fire Sterling's medical staff. Seems like every player is injured

Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#67 » by Dynamix » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 pm

NippySudz wrote:And if the replacement Doesn't deliver?

Then a bunch of us have to add #RehireDoc to our signatures and start bringing up how much we miss his coaching in every other thread for the next 5 years. :)

In all seriousness, I'm kinda with M2V on wanting to move away from Doc this off-season if we underperform. If everyone's healthy, a WC final should be the minimum expectation. Ok, maybe if we lose in 7 in the second round against the future champ, or after Kawhi goes down or something, I would consider giving him a pass for another year.

I just want him to get the most out of this roster, not to sit here and say "well, if only Kawhi/PG/Lou could've hit a few more shots, it's only on them".

That having been said, I'm really tired of some people fearing/expecting the worst as soon as we lose a few games. PG's struggling, they want Shai and Gallo back. Lou & Trez should've been traded. Moe for Morris was a bad move. I mean, give it a rest already.
Not calling out anyone here in particular, just on message boards in general. On the Reddit game threads some people pop up only when we're losing to bash our own players.

Just give it a few playoff games before running for the fences.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Dynamix wrote:
NippySudz wrote:And if the replacement Doesn't deliver?

Then a bunch of us have to add #RehireDoc to our signatures and start bringing up how much we miss his coaching in every other thread for the next 5 years. :)

In all seriousness, I'm kinda with M2V on wanting to move away from Doc this off-season if we underperform. If everyone's healthy, a WC final should be the minimum expectation. Ok, maybe if we lose in 7 in the second round against the future champ, or after Kawhi goes down or something, I would consider giving him a pass for another year.

I just want him to get the most out of this roster, not to sit here and say "well, if only Kawhi/PG/Lou could've hit a few more shots, it's only on them".

That having been said, I'm really tired of some people fearing/expecting the worst as soon as we lose a few games. PG's struggling, they want Shai and Gallo back. Lou & Trez should've been traded. Moe for Morris was a bad move. I mean, give it a rest already.
Not calling out anyone here in particular, just on message boards in general. On the Reddit game threads some people pop up only when we're losing to bash our own players.

Just give it a few playoff games before running for the fences.
I'm not against moving away from doc, just have to find the right fit. But like you said in at least going to give him a chance

LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#69 » by LamarWho » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

We don't have time to hope that Doc magically turns into a Stevens/Pop/Spo tier coach when Kawhi and PG are on short-term deals. The Clippers need to move on from him this offseason if he disappoints in the playoffs again.

Doc has been incredibly lucky when it comes to injuries saving his job. Blake and CP3 always suffer from season ending injuries in the playoff. Fact is a Doc Rivers coached Clippers team has never overachieved except in the last two seasons, when Lou has been constantly bailing him out. Don't even get me started on how disastrous he was as a GM.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#70 » by Dynamix » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:00 pm

NippySudz wrote:I'm not against moving away from doc, just have to find the right fit. But like you said in at least going to give him a chance.

Yeah, even during the darkest Lob City days, I thought we shouldn't get rid of him without having a clearly better option lined up. But at some point you have to be willing to pull the trigger. Doc is too savvy with the players, FO, and media to ever look like a complete bum, he can make the band-aid really tough to pull.

I wasn't familiar with Nick Nurse before he got the Raptors gig, was he seen as a lock to become a great head coach? That was a nice find, but also moving on from Dwane "Coach of the Year" Casey was probably a much easier decision.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 pm

LamarWho wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Doc has been incredibly lucky when it comes to injuries saving his job. Blake and CP3 always suffer from season ending injuries in the playoff. Fact is a Doc Rivers coached Clippers team has never overachieved except in the last two seasons, when Lou has been constantly bailing him out. Don't even get me started on how disastrous he was as a GM.
Lucky or doomed by the medical staff? I don't know of you noticed but Blake's injury was misdiagnosed by the medical staff. Chris Paul and now PG have had repeated hamstring injuries here. You got injuries to roleplayers in the past

Medical staff was inherited too. Get rid of them. I fret that PG is gonna pull his hammy again in the playoffs at a crucial time.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Dynamix wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I'm not against moving away from doc, just have to find the right fit. But like you said in at least going to give him a chance.

Yeah, even during the darkest Lob City days, I thought we shouldn't get rid of him without having a clearly better option lined up. But at some point you have to be willing to pull the trigger. Doc is too savy with the players, FO, and media to ever look like a complete bum, he can make the band-aid really tough to pull.

I wasn't familiar with Nick Nurse before he got the Raptors gig, was he seen as a lock to become a great head coach? That was a nice find, but also moving on from Dwane "Coach of the Year" Casey was probably a much easier decision.

I don't mind moving on from him if he doesn't succeed but he's doing a good job with all this bull.. the injuries and what not. We just have to be healthy and he has to deliver.

Nick nurse is a great coach but if he was coaching DeRozan instead of Leonard, he'd suffer the similar date to Casey.

There are great coaches out there, diamonds in the rough. The past few championships have shown that first yr head coaches can win rings.

To be honest, I wonder what Tyron lue could do with this team at the head

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#73 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 pm

LamarWho wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

And keep in mind, when he did "overachieve," we didn't win a single playoff series. We even missed the playoffs entirely one of those years while he was focused on Austin's stats.

His track record with the Clippers has been extremely uninspiring. In fact, his track record as a head coach in general has been uninspiring. Even the 2008 Celtics had a much harder road to their championship than they should have had, considering how stacked their roster was and how weak the East was. I will never understand the hype about Doc as some great coach.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#74 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Austin Rivers???

yet another thread hijacked :roll:

mercy
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
LamarWho wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:You say this like it's Doc's first year as a head coach. He's been the Clippers' head coach for seven seasons now and we've seen the same exact issues over and over again, no matter who's on our roster. And the results - no WCF appearances, no Finals appearances, no rings - haven't changed either.

And keep in mind, when he did "overachieve," we didn't win a single playoff series. We even missed the playoffs entirely one of those years while he was focused on Austin's stats.

His track record with the Clippers has been extremely uninspiring. In fact, his track record as a head coach in general has been uninspiring. Even the 2008 Celtics had a much harder road to their championship than they should have had, considering how stacked their roster was and how weak the East was. I will never understand the hype about Doc as some great coach.
He won it in the first yr they were together. This is a stupid take, I'm sorry but we talked about this before. It's very hard to win a championship in the first yr a team has been together.

LeBron James as great as he is has never done it .

Doc won against Kobe and Phil Jackson. 2 finals appearances.

Now you can say he's coaching style is antiquated and no longer works but to win in the first yr is impressive. Doesn't matter what it took to win, they won.

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#76 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 pm

NippySudz wrote:It's very hard to win a championship in the first yr a team has been together.

They won 66 games that year in the regular season. They were clicking from day one. The "first year together" argument is not really an excuse for being taken to Game 7 by the under .500 Hawks in the first round. Or by a one-man Cavs team in the second round, for that matter.

Never mind the Celtics, we've seen it before with the Clippers in the playoffs. The other team's coach adjusts, Doc doesn't, and suddenly an inferior team is hanging with us and making the series much harder than it needed to be.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by NippySudz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:It's very hard to win a championship in the first yr a team has been together.

They won 66 games that year in the regular season. They were clicking from day one. The "first year together" argument is not really an excuse for being taken to Game 7 by the under .500 Hawks in the first round. Or by a one-man Cavs team in the second round, for that matter.

Never mind the Celtics, we've seen it before with the Clippers in the playoffs. The other team's coach adjusts, Doc doesn't, and suddenly an inferior team is hanging with us and making the series much harder than it needed to be.

Some teams never go through adversity when it hits them, takes takes awhile for them to respond. I'm curious if you're going to have the same opinion of Mike budenholzer misses another finals with 3 60+wins teams

I don't think doc is on the level of a pop, Phil Jackson or even Steve Kerr . But you make it sound like he's Scotty Brooks

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,164

Post#78 » by og15 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm

I have no attachment to Doc, but I think it's currently pointless and unproductive to call for his head after every loss, after every missed defensive rotation, bad shot taken on offense, etc.

The stars and players in general like him, it's the middle of the season, the options of available better coaches are non existent as far as we know, all is speculation on that front.

There's no advantage or purpose in getting rid of him at this point in time, there's way more that can and would likely go wrong in such a decision than what could maybe go right. Therefore at the moment it's a pointless discussion. Now at the end of the season, it's a very relevant and important discussion, and proper and final evaluation can also be made at that time.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#79 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am

og15 wrote:I have no attachment to Doc, but I think it's currently pointless and unproductive to call for his head after every loss, after every missed defensive rotation, bad shot taken on offense, etc.

The stars and players in general like him, it's the middle of the season, the options of available better coaches are non existent as far as we know, all is speculation on that front.

There's no advantage or purpose in getting rid of him at this point in time, there's way more that can and would likely go wrong in such a decision than what could maybe go right. Therefore at the moment it's a pointless discussion. Now at the end of the season, it's a very relevant and important discussion, and proper and final evaluation can also be made at that time.

it's not a discussion it's threadjacking

every thread ends up here :offtopic:

same crap different day
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 am

Los Angeles Clippers star small forward Paul George suffered a strained left hamstring against the Boston Celtics on Friday and head coach Doc Rivers admits he’s worried.

George will clearly use the All-Star break to recover, but nevertheless, Rivers is concerned since this is the second time this season George has hurt his hamstring:

“Yeah I am,” Rivers said when asked if he was worried about George’s injury, via ESPN. “I’m a little concerned about that one because that’s the second time now, maybe third. Listen, I don’t know what to do, but I know rest you have to do and we’ll see.”

The Clippers are 37-18 on the season. They are in third place in the Western Conference standings.

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-news-doc-rivers-admits-hes-worried-about-paul-george/

Return to Los Angeles Clippers