ImageImageImage

Celtics Retiring Kevin Garnett's #5, and Selected as Hall of Fame finalist, in 24hrs

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Re: Celtics putting #5 in the rafters 

Post#41 » by JJHondo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Couldn't agree more, too bad you they couldn't provide you the whole clip. They both went diving on the floor for a loose ball. I swear they would have went after each other but they both saw who it was and said, yeah, that's cool. KG knew right then and there that Marcus had that Celtic animal spirit. I say it all the time, Marcus has that KG spirit inside him, it was like the passing of the torch. He definitely deserves too have his number retired, like everyone said he changed the culture. And a great way to honor Bill Walton and John Thompson!!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Post#42 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

JJHondo17 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Couldn't agree more, too bad you they couldn't provide you the whole clip. They both went diving on the floor for a loose ball. I swear they would have went after each other but they both saw who it was and said, yeah, that's cool. KG knew right then and there that Marcus had that Celtic animal spirit. I say it all the time, Marcus has that KG spirit inside him, it was like the passing of the torch. He definitely deserves too have his number retired, like everyone said he changed the culture. And a great way to honor Bill Walton and John Thompson!!

Here's the full play:

And here was what KG had to say about it:
“I admire the young guy,” Garnett said of Smart. “I admire the young guy’s work ethic and how hard he plays. Obviously, they brought him in here and Danny [Ainge] knows talent. Just a good hustle play, just a little tap on the back to say good play. Nothing more, nothing less than that.”
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,267

Post#43 » by Gant » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm

Ernest wrote:To those saying 6 years was not long enough to deserve it:

1. He didn't choose to go. We traded him.

2. He changed the culture. We were so **** bad for so long. Like as soon as bird was gone to when KG came in. And then we won a title right away. And Doc was right, the culture did stay.

Too bad we didn't get him earlier. Too bad he wasn't here longer. Hopefully he can get some job with the team in the future.

A few more plusses for Garnett:

* He could have blocked the trade TO the Celtics, but didn't.

* He had a no trade clause and could have blocked the trade FROM the Celtics, but didn't.

* Tatum, Brown, and Langford would not be on the Celtics without the Brooklyn deal.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#44 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

There's no.better human being I have ever met in my life
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,953

Post#45 » by leper-con » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:There's no.better human being I have ever met in my life

He deserves to get his number retired just for the assets we got back by trading him to the Nets.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#46 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

I heard that they were unsure about retiring it. Had he been a Celtic long enough?
Blood test came back green.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#47 » by canman1971 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Anyone who has an issue with this needs to reevaluate their priorities in life or at least what they want to complain about.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#48 » by 3D Chess » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:04 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:There's no.better human being I have ever met in my life

Any stories you're willing to share?
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#49 » by The Corey's » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:07 am

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
The Corey's wrote:Not worthy.

Sorry.

No you're not

Putting a guy in the rafters for 1 championship is the kind of green teamer spirit I've come to expect from my fellow fans.

Lame replies like this are as well.
ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Post#50 » by ConnorHenry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:21 am

Sorry.

KG changed everything. Everything. He could've been with the C's one year and would've deserved it. He epitomized being Celtic like no one had since Larry Bird.

By your logic, the Heat can't retire LeBron's jersey since he was there only 4 seasons. I bet they do once it's all said and done.
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#51 » by The Corey's » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:53 am

ConnorHenry wrote:

Sorry.

KG changed everything. Everything. He could've been with the C's one year and would've deserved it. He epitomized being Celtic like no one had since Larry Bird.

By your logic, the Heat can't retire LeBron's jersey since he was there only 4 seasons. I bet they do once it's all said and done.

I think we both know that 4 title appearances and 2 wins is better than 1 ship in 6 seasons on two appearances.

**** on lebron all you want but his Miami run was better than KG boston run and I dont think anyone would question that.

Kg did change everything but the bar isnt being set very high here and frankly only a matter of time before allen gets his retired.

I'm not against this just that it's not the bar I would of set.
Grahf
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#52 » by Grahf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 am

I still say he got robbed of the MVP award in 2008. He lost it because the Celtics were too good, they had home court advantage wrapped up by mid year, rested KG, and his stats went down.

Couldn’t be happier right now, what a joy it was to root for him.
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:With all things considered I will probably have LeVert before Jaylen.
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#53 » by DoubleHappiness » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 am

The Corey's wrote:
ConnorHenry wrote:

Sorry.

I think we both know that 4 title appearances and 2 wins is better than 1 ship in 6 seasons on two appearances.

**** on lebron all you want but his Miami run was better than KG boston run and I dont think anyone would question that.

Kg did change everything but the bar isnt being set very high here and frankly only a matter of time before allen gets his retired.

KG meant everything to Boston basketball for those years. Him and Paul were absolute warriors.

They were short years but he burned bright. That one title meant a whole helluva lot when you consider the drought combined with the storied history. I don't think Ray is getting his retired at all. KG has been very vocal about how much he loved Boston. Ray, not so much. I understand he's more of an understated guy than KG. But it would be ludicrous to think that Ray had the same value on the team. Sure, he made some clutch clutch shots. But KG anchored a defense that was the *only* team in the league that had a drtg under 100.

I think the only team since that even has a remote claim of having a defense on the same level as the 08 Celtics is this year's Bucks. 2012 Bulls have an argument but I don't think it's a great one.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#54 » by Tyakack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:55 am

Both are important, but to me it's far more important what you did for a franchise than it is how long you were there. KG changed the entire celtics culture once he came here. I love pierce but KG was the most important player on that 2008 celtics team. He helped bring us a championship after a long drought without one.

Only here 6 years is such a terrible way to look at it. What did he do in those 6 years? That's the question you need to ask yourself. KG's impact is still felt even till this day on the franchise and celtics culture..... Doesn't deserve it? PLEASE.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#55 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am

Ernest wrote:To those saying 6 years was not long enough to deserve it:

1. He didn't choose to go. We traded him.

2. He changed the culture. We were so **** bad for so long. Like as soon as bird was gone to when KG came in. And then we won a title right away. And Doc was right, the culture did stay.

Too bad we didn't get him earlier. Too bad he wasn't here longer. Hopefully he can get some job with the team in the future.
The fact that he waved his NTC so we could make the deal that eventually got us JB and JT is another mark in his legacy. He could have said "no I'm a Celtic for life" and then he would have more than 6 years here but we wouldn't be where we are today. He potentially is a reason for our next title run as well.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Re: Celtics Retiring Kevin Garnett's #5, and he is Selected as a Hall of Fame finalist 

Post#56 » by Parliament10 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Whirlwind 20 Hours Ends with Garnett's Selection as Hall of Fame Finalist
By Marc D'Amico | @Marc_DAmico | Celtics.com | February 14, 2020

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-0121420-whirlwind-20-hours-ends-with-garnetts-selection-as-hall-of-fame-finalist
CHICAGO – Kevin Garnett earned two of the greatest honors in basketball in a span of just 20 hours.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Friday afternoon that Garnett, a 2008 champion with the Boston Celtics and a 15-time All-Star, has been chosen as a finalist for the 2020 Hall of Fame class. It is a foregone conclusion that he will be enshrined into the Hall this September.

The Hall of Fame’s announcement came the day after the Celtics announced that they will retire Garnett’s No. 5 jersey next season.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Re: Celtics Retiring Kevin Garnett's #5, and Selected as Hall of Fame finalist, in 24hrs 

Post#57 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Read on Twitter
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#58 » by jirrit » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 pm

The Corey's wrote:
ConnorHenry wrote:

Sorry.

Setting the bar at KG’s height is pretty high in my book.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#59 » by cloverleaf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:55 pm

DoubleHappiness wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
ConnorHenry wrote:

KG meant everything to Boston basketball for those years. Him and Paul were absolute warriors.

They were short years but he burned bright. That one title meant a whole helluva lot when you consider the drought combined with the storied history. I don't think Ray is getting his retired at all. KG has been very vocal about how much he loved Boston. Ray, not so much. I understand he's more of an understated guy than KG. But it would be ludicrous to think that Ray had the same value on the team. Sure, he made some clutch clutch shots. But KG anchored a defense that was the *only* team in the league that had a drtg under 100.

I think the only team since that even has a remote claim of having a defense on the same level as the 08 Celtics is this year's Bucks. 2012 Bulls have an argument but I don't think it's a great one.

To be fair, that KG needed to change everything when he got here is itself an indictment of Pierce as a team leader. And of course KG was the significantly more transcendent player. Just too bad we didn't get him until so late in his career and then injury shaved of the last of his really good years.

But KG was the first guy since Bird to really be at that different level in competitiveness and specialness. Love Smitty, but he's got kind of a weird article up over at Celticsblog now somehow claiming that AB was "our guy" like Tatum and Tatum is the first "our guy" plus great player here since Bird:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/2/14/21137311/jayson-tatum-boston-superstar-celtics-larry-bird-paul-pierce-isaiah-thomas-reggie-lewis-la-clippers

Simply recast it as first homegrown potential Celtics superstar since Bird and he of course is right. KG however was so far the only real, wildly loved and respected, superstar here since Bird. And Tatum doesn't begin to have the culture-changing duende of either Bird or KG. In that, Tatum is much more like Pierce.

Oh, and Smart should stop embarrassing himself by talking about the ways in which he's the next KG. He's of course only talking about style, intensity and defensive emphasis, but he's not half a KG on that front.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Re: Celtics Retiring Kevin Garnett's #5, and Selected as Hall of Fame finalist, in 24hrs 

Post#60 » by exculpatory » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Unquestionably, career wise, Larry & KG were significantly more transcendent than Paul.

And during the Celtics Big 3 era, KG clearly exceeded Paul with regard to visible intensity & vocal culture-changing leadership, as well as defensive ability.

How the **** ever, Paul **** Pierce was a MEGA-clutch, quasi-Super Star in his own right & was by far & away the offensive heart & soul of those magnificent Celtics teams. He & KG were ABSO **** LUTELY EQUAL contributors. (Paul Pierce is & was, by **** light years, the most underappreciated quasi-Super Star of his generation - even by mother **** Celtics fans to this **** day. It will ALWAYS totally piss me off.)

In terms of home grown Celtics Super Stars between 1980 & 2020. it will ALWAYS be Larry AND then the **** Truth.

And there is an excellent possibility that JSmooth will follow in Paul’s foot steps during the next few years - in his own quietly determined way (much more similar to Paul’s persona than the competitive lunacy of KG).
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.

Return to Boston Celtics