Evan Turner To Workout With Clippers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Evan Turner To Workout With Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Evan Turner will workout with the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday, league sources told Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports.

Turner, currently a member of the Timberwolves, has received permission from the team with a buyout pending.

Turner is averaging 3.3 points and 2.0 rebounds on the season.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo Sports

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Re: Evan Turner To Workout With Clippers 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 pm

It bothers me when RealGM (or anyone) posts stats without context.
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Turner is averaging 3.3 points and 2.0 rebounds on the season.

Yeah, in 13 MPG... that's 9/5/5 Per36. I'm not saying that Turner should get 36 minutes per game. But he would be one more wing that can make plays for them. This would not be nothing if you are a rival team in the West.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:45 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:It bothers me when RealGM (or anyone) posts stats without context.
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Turner is averaging 3.3 points and 2.0 rebounds on the season.

Yeah, in 13 MPG... that's 9/5/5 Per36. I'm not saying that Turner should get 36 minutes per game. But he would be one more wing that can make plays for them. This would not be nothing if you are a rival team in the West.

Those are his stats i have no issue posting that given the clippers number of wings I doubt he plays more than 13 minutes.. And 9 5 5 is not that great per 36 unless he is an elite defender.. Which those stats don't tell me.. Clippers starting to feel like the Knicks instead of loading up on power forwards loading up on wings haha..
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:17 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:It bothers me when RealGM (or anyone) posts stats without context.

Those are his stats i have no issue posting that given the clippers number of wings I doubt he plays more than 13 minutes.. And 9 5 5 is not that great per 36 unless he is an elite defender.. Which those stats don't tell me.. Clippers starting to feel like the Knicks instead of loading up on power forwards loading up on wings haha..
What the Clippers are missing is a defensive anchor in the middle (who they could have gotten with Dwight Howard if they went after him right after getting PG and Kawhi) and a true backup/starting point guard.

N9t sure why they want more wings.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#5 » by the13thjoker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:21 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:

fair point. For me, hIs per 36 tells me he can do a bit of everything in the flow of a game and not take up shots even if he played a full 36. The stars of the league generally play on the wings so having extra bodies to throw at them during the playoffs isn't a bad strategy.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:51 pm

tigerae wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

What the Clippers are missing is a defensive anchor in the middle (who they could have gotten with Dwight Howard if they went after him right after getting PG and Kawhi) and a true backup/starting point guard.

N9t sure why they want more wings.

Turner size and ball handling ability allows for better balance of units. Doc loves his full swap bench units and will even use them in the playoffs. Turner gives us more size and someone who can control the ball a few possessions. Add on George and Beverly are out for a while things can get tricky
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:

5 AST Per36 would put him third on LAC for anyone averaging more than 4 MPG. And if you don't think LAC could use some ball movement then you haven't been paying attention. (17th in APG)

But my bigger point was that stats without context can be deceiving. Mentioning Turners numbers without mentioning his limited PT in ATL is pointless. It would have made more sense to mention his career stats or last years stats because his situation in ATL made this years stats irrelevant. His per36 numbers are pretty close to his career numbers. For good or bad, he is what he always was... A wing that you don't want shooting, but is capable of running your offense in spells.

Return to Wiretap Discussion