NBA Renames All-Star Game MVP Award In Kobe Bryant's Honor

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Renames All-Star Game MVP Award In Kobe Bryant's Honor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 am

Adam Silver announced that the NBA will rename the All-Star Game MVP award in Kobe Bryant's honor.

The award will now be called the All-Star Game Kobe Bryant MVP Award.

"Kobe Bryant is synonymous with NBA All-Star and embodies the spirit of this global celebration of our game. He always relished the opportunity to compete with the best of the best and perform at the highest level for millions of fans around the world," said Silver.

Bryant played in 18 straight All-Star Games between 1998 and 2016.

Via ESPN

alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Re: NBA Renames All-Star Game MVP Award In Kobe Bryant's Honor 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:11 am

I like Kobe, and on it's own this honour seems justified, but they seem to be REALLY going over board on the Kobe worship lately. Everything is being remade in “Kobe’s honour”. I’m not so sure Kobe would approve or appreciate it all.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#3 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 am

alienpick wrote:I like Kobe, and on it's own this honour seems justified, but they seem to be REALLY going over board on the Kobe worship lately. Everything is being remade in “Kobe’s honour”. I’m not so sure Kobe would approve or appreciate it all.

I agree, I'm sure he'd think It's strange. I think the NBA, in some capacity is using this as a way to get more views.
Credits to Jstock12
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Kobe Bryant All-Star Game MVP 

Post#4 » by Najee12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:36 pm

alienpick wrote:I like Kobe, and on it's own this honour seems justified, but they seem to be REALLY going over board on the Kobe worship lately. Everything is being remade in “Kobe’s honour”. I’m not so sure Kobe would approve or appreciate it all.

The NBA named the All-Star Game MVP trophy after Kobe Bryant because:

* He was the youngest All-Star Game participant in NBA history at 19 years old;
* He is second in All-Star Game appearances with 18 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is first with 19);
* He is first with the most consecutive All-Star Game appearances (18);
* He is second in most All-Star Game starts (15); LeBron James will start for the 16th time today;
* He is first in steals, second in points, second in field goals, tied for fifth in 3-pointers and ninth in assists;
* He is tied with Bob Pettit for the most All-Star Game MVP trophies (four).

I can understand if the NBA named this award after a mediocre participant such as Draymond Green. But the NBA is naming the award after one of its greatest players who also was one of its greatest All-Star Game participants.

Also, the NBA didn’t change the name of the award; the NBA gave it an official name when it did not have one previously.

I am sure you did not take all of that into consideration when you tried to make this attempt at a hot take.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Kobe Bryant All-Star Game MVP 

Post#5 » by Najee12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:54 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:I agree, I'm sure he'd think It's strange. I think the NBA, in some capacity is using this as a way to get more views.

It amazes me when people make such tone-deaf comments.

First, given that Kobe Bryant is dead, we can't ask his opinion of what he thinks.

Second, Bryant was one of the top performers in All-Star Game history -- it's not a charity case nomination.

Third, there was no official name attached to the trophy, so why not name it after the person who is tied for the most All-Star Game MVP selections, is second in All-Star Game selections and starting game selections, ranks in the top 10 in several categories, etc.? Some of you need to think before posting.
alienpick
Starter

Re: Kobe Bryant All-Star Game MVP 

Post#6 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Najee12 wrote:

* He is second in All-Star Game appearances with 18 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is first with 19);
* He is second in most All-Star Game starts (15); LeBron James will start for the 16th time today;
* He is first in steals, second in points, second in field goals, tied for fifth in 3-pointers and ninth in assists;

I can understand if the NBA named this award after a mediocre participant such as Draymond Green. But the NBA is naming the award after one of its greatest players who also was one of its greatest All-Star Game participants.

Also, the NBA didn’t change the name of the award; the NBA gave it an official name when it did not have one previously.

I am sure you did not take all of that into consideration when you tried to make this attempt at a hot take.

I’m sure you did not read my post before attempting this hot take.

I said this honour is justified. It’s all the extra stuff that seems excessive and over reactionary. Reformatting the Allstar game to score his jersey number in points, for example. All that extra stuff cheapens this honour. It makes it just seem like another knee-jerk “honour Kobe” thing, than something carefully considered with the information you pointed out. That’s what I was saying.
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Najee12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm

alienpick wrote:I’m sure you did not read my post before attempting this hot take.

I said this honour is justified. It’s all the extra stuff that seems excessive and over reactionary. Reformatting the Allstar game to score his jersey number in points, for example.

No, you said this honor (naming the All-Star Game MVP after Kobe Bryant) SEEMS justified as if there is some questioning of naming the All-Star Game MVP award after Bryant. You didn't say anything about the scoring format for today's game in your original post (let me show it before you edit it):

As for the scoring format for today's game, it clearly is a one-time event. If the NBA makes this scoring format a regular staple to the All-Star Game moving forward, then you have a point that the All-Star Game is overdoing it. But you need to check your post before trying to walk back your response.

Meanwhile, don't let my facts get in the way of your comments.
alienpick
Starter

Post#8 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Najee12 wrote:
alienpick wrote:I’m sure you did not read my post before attempting this hot take.

I said this honour is justified. It’s all the extra stuff that seems excessive and over reactionary. Reformatting the Allstar game to score his jersey number in points, for example.

No, you said this honor SEEMS justified, as if there is some questioning of naming the All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant. You may want to check your post before trying to walk back your response.

As for the scoring format for today's game, it clearly is a one-time event. It will become a case of overdoing it if it is a regular staple to the All-Star Game moving forward. And keep in mind, you didn't say anything about the scoring format for today's game in your original post (let me show it before you edit it):

Meanwhile, don't let my facts get in the way of your comments.

I don’t have to edit my post, I know what I said; I wrote it. You interpreted my use of ‘seems’ differently. ‘Seems’ as in; I haven’t looked deeply into the facts, but on the surface the facts SEEM to justify it. You did the deeper dive on the facts and convinced me more. I’m still not a 100% sure, IMO, that it should be named after Kobe, but after your post I’m about 95% there. I was 90% there before your post. So, ‘seems’ was appropriately used.

I didn’t SPECIFICALLY mention the Allstar change but I alluded to it. It is something being changed in his honour, which I mentioned. So it’s fair game to bring it up. I haven’t seen any article mention wether this is a one time change or not, so that’s open to interpretation. (Until someone proves it otherwise).

You seem to be a person who deals in absolutes, and tries to win arguments on semantics and not merit. You, once again, didn’t read my post and missed my point in favour of trying to dig out some perceived errors in grammar usage. Unfortunately, I don’t think or discuss things in the way you do, so we are at an impasse and it’s probably pointless to continue.

Sufficient to say; I agree with your points on Kobe’s naming and largely agree with you on that point. I think it’s getting lost in a sea of changes “in Kobe’s Honour” that it waters down the honour and calls the intention of such honour into question. Is it only being done because people are feeling sad about Kobe and are trying to reconcile their feelings by over honouring him? THAT, I think (with the information I have on his personality) Kobe wouldn’t agree with; but we’ll never know.
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Move on, please 

Post#9 » by Najee12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:32 pm

alienpick wrote: blah, blah, blah

No one else mentioned anything else about the All-Star Game format for tonight's game (such as the scoring) until YOU mentioned it in an attempt to walk back your comments. The story was about the NBA naming the All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant; you're introducing your own baggage into the conversation.

I don't have telepathy so I can't read your mind; I responded to what you posted. It's not my concern or care to try to guess what you connoted, implied or suggested in your post. You have done far more explaining in your previous two posts than in your original post as if people are supposed to know all of what you claimed to be thinking.

And if you already were convinced the NBA appropriately named its All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant before you posted, then it contradicts the reason you posted in the first place.
alienpick
Starter

Re: Move on, please 

Post#10 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Najee12 wrote:
alienpick wrote: blah, blah, blah

No one else mentioned anything else about the All-Star Game format for tonight's game (such as the scoring) until YOU mentioned it in an attempt to walk back your comments. The story was about the NBA naming the All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant; you're introducing your own baggage into the conversation.

I don't have telepathy so I can't read your mind; I responded to what you posted. It's not my concern or care to try to guess what you connoted, implied or suggested in your post. You have done far more explaining in your previous two posts than in your original post as if people are supposed to know all of what you claimed to be thinking.

And if you already were convinced the NBA appropriately named its All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant before you posted, then it contradicts the reason you posted in the first place.

You need to work on your reading and comprehension skills. My point was clear in my first post. Other people understood it and commented on it with clear understanding of what I said. You, however, needed it explained multiple times and still haven’t heard it.

I’m not arguing semantics with you. This isn’t RealSemantics forum. It’s a basketball forum. In basketball terms: you keep trying to stop us mid-game to discuss perceived errors in shooting form instead of playing the game. If you want to debate me, then debate. Don’t come at me aggressively if you aren’t going read and miss the point that others clearly understood.
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Blah, blah, blah 

Post#11 » by Najee12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:14 pm

alienpick wrote:blah, blah, blah

Your responses are all about you and not about the subject at hand.

When you want to talk about the subject at hand, feel free to talk to the person who was a former NBA journalist who has far more experience on the subject (that would be me). But right now you're not offering anything to debate, except long explanations about how you think as if people care how you think.

I already posted facts on why the NBA named its All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant. Unless you have something that refutes why it is not reasonable to name the honor after him, then you not are having a debate. It just comes across as you talking about yourself -- because there is very little in your responses that are related to the subject at hand.

alienpick wrote:My point was clear in my first post. Other people understood it and commented on it with clear understanding of what I said.

Only one other person (TdotRap4Lyfe) responded to you, you have no And1s and I am the only new person who has responded in this thread since TdotRap4Lyfe's response so far. I believe you need a better definition of the term "other people."
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#12 » by deeps6x » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Is it just me or are we all getting a little carried away with this Kobe stuff? Are we going to rename everything again when MJ or LeBron die?

Anyone think Mountain Dew ruined the 3 point contest? How about every dunk being worth 50 points?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#13 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Najee12 wrote:

The TEAMS did the 24 second shot clock violations and the 8 second half court violations. The NBA gave Kobe the honor of having his name on the All-Star game MVP (very deservingly).

The only "weird" thing the NBA has done to honor Kobe is changing the all-star game format. But if it only for one year, it's not big deal. Kobe made everyone ALOT of money. So. Changing the games fornat, for one year is not a big deal. If Kobe had died in November it probably dosen't change the all-star game format. If Kobe died last March it probably dosen't change the all-star game format. But dying in late January makes changing the All-Star game format easy.

I think the NBA was probably looking for a way to "spice" up the all-star game. They probably already had the 3 "different games" idea and then thought "can we acknowledge Kobe in a big way All-Star weekend? How?". And changed the three game idea to involve Kobe's number.

As stated in the post I quoted, Kobe very much deserves the all-star game MVP to be named after him. If a players career was judged soley by all-star game accomplishments, Kobe would be the GOAT.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
alienpick
Starter

Re: Blah, blah, blah 

Post#14 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Najee12 wrote:
alienpick wrote:blah, blah, blah

Your responses are all about you and not about the subject at hand.

When you want to talk about the subject at hand, feel free to talk to the person who was a former NBA journalist who has far more experience on the subject (that would be me). But right now you're not offering anything to debate, except long explanations about how you think as if people care how you think.

I already posted facts on why the NBA named its All-Star Game MVP award after Kobe Bryant. Unless you have something that refutes why it is not reasonable to name the honor after him, then you not are having a debate. It just comes across as you talking about yourself -- because there is very little in your responses that are related to the subject at hand.

alienpick wrote:My point was clear in my first post. Other people understood it and commented on it with clear understanding of what I said.

Only one other person (TdotRap4Lyfe) responded to you, you have no And1s and I am the only new person who has responded in this thread since TdotRap4Lyfe's response so far. I believe you need a better definition of the term "other people."

FORMER journalist. Can’t imagine why. You don’t debate people, you try and trap them into arguments over semantics and derail the conversation. Your last point was another semantic argument and has NOTHING to do with debating the subject. I don’t care what job you were fired from; you have no idea how to discuss or debate. When the debate becomes about the debate or semantics it’s not a debate anymore.

I’ve humoured you enough. We’re done here. Have a good day.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#15 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:30 am

I think its a pretty fitting thing to do. Not even much of a Kobe fan but I think this is a good way to honor him and his legacy as a bb player.
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Re: Blah, blah, blah 

Post#16 » by Najee12 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 am

alienpick wrote:More diahrrea of the mouth.

This picture describes you best. At least you tried.

http://bit.ly/2u9sd0A
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Kobe Bryant honors 

Post#17 » by Najee12 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:45 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:The TEAMS did the 24 second shot clock violations and the 8 second half court violations. The NBA gave Kobe the honor of having his name on the All-Star game MVP (very deservingly).

The only "weird" thing the NBA has done to honor Kobe is changing the all-star game format. But if it only for one year, it's not big deal. Kobe made everyone ALOT of money. So. Changing the games fornat, for one year is not a big deal. If Kobe had died in November it probably dosen't change the all-star game format. If Kobe died last March it probably dosen't change the all-star game format. But dying in late January makes changing the All-Star game format easy.

I think the NBA was probably looking for a way to "spice" up the all-star game. They probably already had the 3 "different games" idea and then thought "can we acknowledge Kobe in a big way All-Star weekend? How?". And changed the three game idea to involve Kobe's number.

As stated in the post I quoted, Kobe very much deserves the all-star game MVP to be named after him. If a players career was judged soley by all-star game accomplishments, Kobe would be the GOAT.

I believe some people are tone-deaf and being selectively ignorant of Kobe Bryant's relevance in NBA history. He generally is regarded as one of the very best players in NBA history and died omly a few years after he retired. Instead of honoring his selection as a finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, people are adjusting to hearing his shocking death.

I also don't believe people understand that Bryant is only the third former or league MVP who has died since the NBA started naming league MVPs in 1956, after Wilt Chamberlain (1999) and Moses Malone (2015). Chamberlain was 63 and Malone was 60 when they died and of natural causes; Bryant died in a helicopter crash at 41. It's not often one of the league's all-time great players dies and no one would have thought Bryant would have been the one to die under these circumstances.
Najee12
Pro Prospect

Kobe Bryant's death 

Post#18 » by Najee12 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:52 am

deeps6x wrote:Is it just me or are we all getting a little carried away with this Kobe stuff? Are we going to rename everything again when MJ or LeBron die?

As I stated in a previous post, Kobe Bryant is only the third former or current league MVP who has died since the NBA started naming league MVPs in 1956, after Wilt Chamberlain (1999) and Moses Malone (2015). It's not often one of the league's all-time great players dies and no one would have thought Bryant would have been the one to die under these circumstances.

While Malone died a few years ago, it is fair to say the majority of people on this board never saw Malone play; he retired in 1996 and was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001. I saw Malone play the bulk of his NBA career but I also am in my early 50s. A person would have to be at least in his or her mid-60s to have seen some semblance of Wilt as a quality player; a more realistic number is being 70 years old.

The previous all-time great player to die was Celtics great John Havlicek, another player practically no member of this board saw play in his prime. Havlicek had been retired for more than 40 years when he died (Hondo retired the year Bryant was born).

With Bryant, he just retired three years ago. His name popped in the national media the day before he died when LeBron James passed him on the all-time scoring list. And unlike the ones I named, Bryant was only 41 years old; Wilt was 63, Moses was 60 and Havlicek was 79 when they died.

To add more contrast, Bill Russell retired roughly 10 years before Bryant was born. Jerry West retired four years before Bryant was born. Kareem-Abdul Jabbar won his sixth MVP when Bryant was roughly 18 months old. Bryant was 1 when Magic Johnson entered the NBA. One of the all-time great NBA players dying is not something that happens often, especially at Bryant's age.

Return to Wiretap Discussion