Adam Silver Sense 'A Return To Normalcy' In Relationship Between NBA, China

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Adam Silver Sense 'A Return To Normalcy' In Relationship Between NBA, China 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:05 am

Adam Silver estimated that the reaction from Daryl Morey's retweet supporting protesters in Hong Kong cost the NBA "probably less than $400 million" during a press conference at All-Star weekend. 

Silver added that he doesn't think there is permanent damage between the NBA and China.

"It's substantial, I don't want to run from that. We were taken off the air in China for a period of time, and it caused our many business partners in China to feel it was, therefore, inappropriate to have ongoing relationships with us. But I don't have any sense that there's any permanent damage to our business there. ... We accept the consequences of our system and our values. It's not a position any business wants to be in, but those are the results," said Silver.

NBA games were pulled from CCTV, with the amount of streaming games also reduced.

"I know that, from the data we look at, there continues to be enormous interest for the NBA in China, and my sense is that there will be a return to normalcy fairly soon, but I can't say exactly when, when it comes to CCTV," added Silver.

Silver also said that there were still ongoing discussions as to whether Team USA would play pre-Olympic exhibition games in China, or if the NBA would return to China for exhibition games next October. 

Team USA is currently scheduled to spend a week in Shanghai before heading to Tokyo. 

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,153

Re: Adam Silver Sense 'A Return To Normalcy' In Relationship Between NBA, China 

Post#2 » by Revived » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:53 am

China has a lot bigger things than the NBA to worry about at the moment.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#3 » by Scott Hall » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:35 am

F*ck China!!! - *Masai Ujiri voice*
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#4 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am

So China has stopped oppressing their ppl now... Oh what no.. So let's be honest the NBA and US government don't care as long as the dollars keep rolling in.. I am an LBJ fan but in regards to his response on this issue all the good will left because he knew it would cost him money so he took no stance.. The NBA is of course the same as are the billionaire owners..
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#5 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:So China has stopped oppressing their ppl now... Oh what no.. So let's be honest the NBA and US government don't care as long as the dollars keep rolling in.. I am an LBJ fan but in regards to his response on this issue all the good will left because he knew it would cost him money so he took no stance.. The NBA is of course the same as are the billionaire owners..

The billionaire owners are responsible for your oppression as well, so I'm not sure why you would want to hear from them.

It is the billionaire owners who charge you as much as possible to watch games, not China. And the wealthier you make the owners, the more oppressive they become.
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#6 » by Nikola » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:50 pm

The NBA is very expectantly disappointing on this issue.

The unfortunate reality is this is the case in such a wide spectrum of industries that boycotting would be useless. America needs to do some serious soul searching about the exploitation of cheap labor around the world.
Cael
Junior
And1: 458

Post#7 » by Cael » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:04 pm

China taking a big L with coronavirus and can't really afford to have messy relationships abroad.
NBA got some leverage back.
bballchico
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#8 » by bballchico » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:04 pm

nothing normal about the oppressive regime of China..for Silver and the NBA it is just the almighty $$$$$$$..
there is no reason to support Silver and his comments..what is 'Normalcy'...media suppression..people suppression..meddling in the affairs of other nations..
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#9 » by Hans1984 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Revived wrote:China has a lot bigger things than the NBA to worry about at the moment.

You beat me to it.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#10 » by deeps6x » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Silver should focus on fixing the refereeing problem in his 'entertainment league'. Turn it back into a sport.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#11 » by dautjazz » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:So China has stopped oppressing their ppl now... Oh what no.. So let's be honest the NBA and US government don't care as long as the dollars keep rolling in.. I am an LBJ fan but in regards to his response on this issue all the good will left because he knew it would cost him money so he took no stance.. The NBA is of course the same as are the billionaire owners..

Yeah it's easy for people to voice on these topics, but this business, the NBA breaking ties with China wont move the needle on what the government does in China, but it will certainly hurt the pockets of everybody involved in the NBA. When people gave Lebron ****, I rolled my eyes, because it's easy to yell behind a keyboard when you don't have millions or billions to lose.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#12 » by DoctorDunc » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:27 pm

Adam Silver spends way too much time worrying about the NBA’s image for social good and not enough time on the basketball product itself. Daryl Morey fell into that trap because that is where the commissioner has been leading the NBA. The NBA, the owners and prominent players like LeBron had their social messaging authenticity called out with this China mess. Now they know and we know it is all about business.

What they can control without compromise is the authentic product they put on the court which has gone off the rail. There are too many 18-19 years olds taking up minutes because they have to “develop the potential”. The craziness of player movement makes it difficult for fans to have any loyalty with the roster turnover. The ridiculous soft fouls, touch fouls, flagrant foul calls, associated flopping and irrational replay rules is just painful to watch. The coddling of player egos and rest days is a rip-off for fans paying for expensive tickets, expensive hot dogs and expensive cable TV. A sportsman-like handshake at the final buzzer is a great show of respect. This love fest we see after every game looks more looks a broadway musical than a fiercely competitive sports event. Any player that brings an edge to the game has been legislated out of a role.

There is a lot of work to do with the on-court product. I hope Adam Silver reconsiders his priorities and puts the focus back on the basketball game.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#13 » by Def Leppard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:

The billionaire owners are responsible for your oppression as well, so I'm not sure why you would want to hear from them.

It is the billionaire owners who charge you as much as possible to watch games, not China. And the wealthier you make the owners, the more oppressive they become.
Do you mind explaining how ticket prices are oppression?

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:49 am

dautjazz wrote:

Yeah it's easy for people to voice on these topics, but this business, the NBA breaking ties with China wont move the needle on what the government does in China, but it will certainly hurt the pockets of everybody involved in the NBA. When people gave Lebron ****, I rolled my eyes, because it's easy to yell behind a keyboard when you don't have millions or billions to lose.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 am

LeBron has 480 million more than he can spend in ten life times..He had a chance to speak out but he showed he is the same as MJ who didn't speak out on racism and said that Republicans buy shoes too.. Do not give me a sob story that a guy worth 480million might lose millions of dollars as if it would materially effect his life at all.. It shows his complete lack of moral fibre..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:52 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

LeBron has 480 million more than he can spend in ten life times..He had a chance to speak out but he showed he is the same as MJ who didn't speak out on racism and said that Republicans buy shoes too.. Do not give me a sob story that a guy worth 480million might lose millions of dollars as if it would materially effect his life at all.. It shows his complete lack of moral fibre
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#17 » by Def Leppard » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

LeBron has 480 million more than he can spend in ten life times..He had a chance to speak out but he showed he is the same as MJ who didn't speak out on racism and said that Republicans buy shoes too.. Do not give me a sob story that a guy worth 480million might lose millions of dollars as if it would materially effect his life at all.. It shows his complete lack of moral fibre
To this guys point, I think its more the "social justice" issues that people rolled there eyes at with LBJ, not the money thing.

"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#18 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:19 am

Def Leppard wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

To this guys point, I think its more the "social justice" issues that people rolled there eyes at with LBJ, not the money thing.

Wonder if the virus has anything to do with china needing outside investments more than ever.... or maybe the backlash against china due to handling of said virus is making the ccp want to play nice nice with the outside world....

Maybe the ccp doesnt want to come off as a negligent police state.....? so of course the nba will act as a semi PR firm and say everything is back to normal in china, (we'll get that money back).

But nothing is "normal" in china, not with a contagious virus shutting down its economy and quarantining its cities like the plague...but for Adam "head up my ass" silver....things will be A Okay.

Consider the source.

Cancelled my subscription last month, too hard to watch at this point, even with the volume off.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#19 » by Soulcatcher33 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:21 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

You are so full of **** with your virtue signaling nonsense. Get off your soapbox.
dantheman74
Senior
And1: 299

Post#20 » by dantheman74 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:10 am

Should incorporate a Chinese NBA team, the Wuhan Bats.

Return to Wiretap Discussion