ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#641 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Not a big baseball guy, but can anyone give me a real reason why David Price was so hated? Got overpaid, got hurt, then was massive in winning us a title. Seems like that was enough for JD Drew to be redeemed.

Why is having to get along with the Red Sox sportswriters even a thing?

I think we all know why he was so hated. Its a real shame, too.

Dude shouldve been the WS MVP. There is no way he’s a bigger douchebag than John Lackey, but Lackey was pretty unanimously cheered after his performance in the WS. He deserves none of the hate directed at him.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#642 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:15 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Not a big baseball guy, but can anyone give me a real reason why David Price was so hated? Got overpaid, got hurt, then was massive in winning us a title. Seems like that was enough for JD Drew to be redeemed.

Dude shouldve been the WS MVP. There is no way he’s a bigger douchebag than John Lackey, but Lackey was pretty unanimously cheered after his performance in the WS. He deserves none of the hate directed at him.

As much as i always defend Boston fans when it comes to this, Red Sox fans are easily the least progressive. Anyone who denies the obvious reason is just turning a blind eye and are a huge part of the problem. The Eckersley thing kills me btw, he is well know as a prick, the whole team disliked him, Pedroia was right there with Price. But he was a "dirt dog" so nobody cared, while Price became public enemy number one at the time.

Yeah he was thin skinned with the media, but he also carried them to a WS. He risked his career to go out there basically every night, and showed balls of steel, while Chris Sale had to be pushed back game after game.

The treatment of Price will piss me off for awhile.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#643 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Price sucked for almost the entirety of his stay in Boston and his signing partly necessitated the trade of Mookie Betts. I don't get why JD Drew was hated either, baseball fans just have a thing for underdog players even if they suck. JD Drew was underpaid and he overperformed his predecessor, who was adored. But he got injured in less dirt-doggy ways so fans hated him.

lmao baseball sportswriters are the biggest bunch of **** in the profession, though. The Red Sox writers seem to have the biggest boners in the city but I guess I don't follow the Bruins nearly as much.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#644 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:45 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Price sucked for almost the entirety of his stay in Boston and his signing partly necessitated the trade of Mookie Betts. I don't get why JD Drew was hated either, baseball fans just have a thing for underdog players even if they suck. JD Drew was underpaid and he overperformed his predecessor, who was adored. But he got injured in less dirt-doggy ways so fans hated him.

lmao baseball sportswriters are the biggest bunch of **** in the profession, though. The Red Sox writers seem to have the biggest boners in the city but I guess I don't follow the Bruins nearly as much.

Right on. Just thought that once you are that pivotal in winning a title for Boston, you are in the club. Thought that was how it worked.

If he had done that for Cleveland or Milwaukee, they'd retire his number.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,953

Post#645 » by 31to6 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:50 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Price sucked for almost the entirety of his stay in Boston and his signing partly necessitated the trade of Mookie Betts. I don't get why JD Drew was hated either, baseball fans just have a thing for underdog players even if they suck. JD Drew was underpaid and he overperformed his predecessor, who was adored. But he got injured in less dirt-doggy ways so fans hated him.

Right on. Just thought that once you are that pivotal in winning a title for Boston, you are in the club. Thought that was how it worked.

Evidence for how spoiled we’ve been with titles lately. I agree with everything else in this thread too unfortunately.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,344

Post#646 » by K For Three » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:44 am

31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Evidence for how spoiled we’ve been with titles lately. I agree with everything else in this thread too unfortunately.

Spoiled? We have not won anything this year. It's gross.

Whats going to happen with Brady? :o
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#647 » by sam_I_am » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:23 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

The persona he shows to fans is awful. Made him unlikeable. People love Eckersley and the way he acted towards him was beyond classless and disrespectful - and Boston fans simply wont tolerate a DB. In most every way that matters Kyrie is a pretty good guy - clean living, dedicated to his craft, stays out of trouble off the court - but his personality would never work here. Even if he had resigned here it was over for him with fan base too. Meanwhile, fans really liked Josh Gordon.

Right on, although I feel like part of it is a racial thing, hence you throwing on that last sentence to diffuse it.

I mean, I get it. He's not a "Boston" type of guy, and red Sox fans are whiners by nature, but don't we also celebrate our winners? I feel like no one would have **** to say about Kyrie had he led us to a title first.

EDIT: not calling you racist, of course. Just think Gordon is irrelevant here, and including him read to me like, "Here's a random black guy we didn't hate," and sort of a subconscious acknowledgment of what part of the issue is here.

Wow what a terrible take. I should tell you to F off honestly. The Gordon reference is because the guy is a high profile superstar who ruined his career by being a drug addict - and yet fans really rooted for him to succeed because he came across as humble and nice.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#648 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:10 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
The persona he shows to fans is awful. Made him unlikeable. People love Eckersley and the way he acted towards him was beyond classless and disrespectful - and Boston fans simply wont tolerate a DB. In most every way that matters Kyrie is a pretty good guy - clean living, dedicated to his craft, stays out of trouble off the court - but his personality would never work here. Even if he had resigned here it was over for him with fan base too. Meanwhile, fans really liked Josh Gordon.

Right on, although I feel like part of it is a racial thing, hence you throwing on that last sentence to diffuse it.

I mean, I get it. He's not a "Boston" type of guy, and red Sox fans are whiners by nature, but don't we also celebrate our winners? I feel like no one would have **** to say about Kyrie had he led us to a title first.

EDIT: not calling you racist, of course. Just think Gordon is irrelevant here, and including him read to me like, "Here's a random black guy we didn't hate," and sort of a subconscious acknowledgment of what part of the issue is here.

Wow what a terrible take. I should tell you to F off honestly. The Gordon reference is because the guy is a high profile superstar who ruined his career by being a drug addict - and yet fans really rooted for him to succeed because he came across as humble and nice.

Well, I didn't articulate that well, but I was clear in the edit that I was not calling you racist. Nor do I think race is the biggest reason people seem to hate Price, with the full scope of reasons being something I am still trying to figure out myself.

As to Gordon, just thought it was a curious example. He's a totally peripheral player to me. Barely worth thinking about, never mind hating. Good luck to him in life, of course.

The point I was getting at there was more like you pulling up a random black guy and saying, "We didn't hate him." Something I might do myself subconsciously. Not because I am racist, but because after so many years of hearing how racist my city is, I feel the need to apologize for it or defend the place.

With that said, as a Boston native, Red Sox fans always felt like outsiders to me, from hyperwhite places in the outer suburbs or Northern NE. I know they embraced the Dominicans and all, but probably not the most progressive fanbase out there, if we are being honest. Unlike the Celts, racism is certainly deeply ingrained in the history of the team itself, from Yawkey and being last to integrate to Jim Rice to Carl Crawford to Adam Jones.

In sum, yeah, the guy's contract sucked, but I thought we got past all that with his admirable late postseason performance in 2018.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#649 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 am

Never understood the Price hate. He was money in the playoffs in 2018, and he needled a bunch of needledonk writers at the Globe. To me, he was one of this ownerships best FA signings. Think about it. Relative to Daisuke, Rusney, Panda, Carl Crawford, et al. Yes, he was overpaid, but that is the nature of a big ticket FA. At least he produced a ring and was a key part of earning it.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#650 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#651 » by Disinformation » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I don't. Can someone clue me in?
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
BillTheGOAT
Starter

Post#652 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:15 pm

Man, the Red Sox are such a cluster ****. Our best player traded to save money. Our manager fired and looks like Sale will need a Tommy John surgery.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#653 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:36 pm

And yet the Red Sox will win more games this year than they did last.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#654 » by K For Three » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:05 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/03/curran-tom-brady-to-patriots-or-titans-with-the-49ers-closing-hard-on-the-outside/

As our pal Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston recently explained, it’s not a done deal that Tom Brady will be leaving the Patriots. That said, there are suitors.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Curran was asked to predict Brady’s destination for 2020.

“It’s either gonna be New England or Tennessee,” Curran said, “with the 49ers closing hard on the outside.”

Yes, the 49ers chatter is real, Curran said. And it’s a mutual thing, with Brady interested in the 49ers, and the 49ers interested in Brady. And then the 49ers could simply trade Jimmy Garoppolo back to the Patriots.

“That would be the best-case scenario all the way around,” Curran said.

Many would agree that if the 49ers had Brady in 2019, they would have won the Super Bowl. Many also would agree that Brady gives them a better chance than Garoppolo to win it in 2020.

So what would the 49ers do for a quarterback in 2021, if Brady wins No. 7 and walks off into the sunset? Absent an extension, Kirk Cousins will be a free agent next year. And he’s the guy 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan thought the 49ers would be signing in 2018, until the team traded for Garoppolo.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#655 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:31 pm

lmao the 49ers would be perfect. They trade for Garoppolo, give him a hundred million, he gets injured his first full season, then when he's healthy he has a 100 QB Rating and goes to the Super Bowl. So then they dump his ass for 43 year old Tom Brady, and Garoppolo goes back to New England, where Belichick wanted him to begin with. Still not buying any of it, though. The more teams that are named, the more skeptical I am.
BillTheGOAT
Starter

Post#656 » by BillTheGOAT » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:13 pm

Reading the tea leaves, Brady is gone.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,028

Post#657 » by London2Boston » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:41 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:Reading the tea leaves, Brady is gone.

I would agree.

Going to feel very strange and a weird time in Boston sports.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#658 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Mar 6, 2020 12:20 am

Based on what tea leaves? Every day some hack reporter lists a new team and every time I just get more skeptical.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#659 » by threrf23 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:58 am

It wouldn't surprise me per se if Brady leaves, but all I feel confident of is that he wants other teams to think he is ready and willing to leave the Pats, so that they will pursue him accordingly.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#660 » by K For Three » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:30 am

Part of me thinks Brady is enjoying all this attention too. He never is in the position of being a free agent and he's...the GOAT. lmao.

IF he does leave what are his good options to contend? Well the 49ers sound like a dream scenario for him being it's his boyhood team and they are a SB team but even I think that sounds far fetched for him to end up there and us getting Jimmy G back.

Best other team would be the Titans

Other then that I don't like the other teams rumored to be interested as real contenders, unless they made other serious moves.

Return to Boston Celtics