ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Around the League 

Post#2161 » by jakebernat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 am

at the end of the day, at least we’re not cavs fans lmao. bunch of slugs over there...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#2162 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:22 am

DBC10 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:"John Beilein, Cavs expected to make a decision on Beilein's future within next 24-48 hours"

Has a headline like that EVER been followed by a "yah know, we've decided he's gonna stick around" type outcome?

It's just funny the way these things break sometimes.

There was word that guys at start of training camp already didn't like him. It was a dumb hire on Altman's part, I get what he tried to do since they were going for youth and wanted them to rein in, but Beilein is an old fart that should've retired.

Yeah, it's been apparent that things haven't worked out for quite some time.

They gave that guy a 5 year deal, too. Glad it's not my money. A 5 year deal is probably why we're going to have Casey for a while even though he no longer fits with what the team is doing.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#2163 » by whitehops » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Snakebites wrote:They gave that guy a 5 year deal, too. Glad it's not my money. A 5 year deal is probably why we're going to have Casey for a while even though he no longer fits with what the team is doing.

yeah unless things go really south we're definitely going to have casey the full five years. with a coach of his resume he probably got close to top dollar.

i'm not mad tbh. i think it actually might line up better with where we're at now, as he built up the raptors program but his main knock was that he couldn't get them to the next level.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#2164 » by Han Solo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:46 am

Man.. never heard Michael Jordan speak the way he did today. Never realized him and Kobe were that close either. He really was like Kobe’s big brother. That speech pulled at the heart strings.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#2165 » by MrBigShot » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:40 am

Han Solo wrote:Man.. never heard Michael Jordan speak the way he did today. Never realized him and Kobe were that close either. He really was like Kobe’s big brother. That speech pulled at the heart strings.

Yeah, I really loved his speech too. I suppose it makes sense he and Kobe had a such a strong connection; Kobe was about as close as it gets to MJ in terms of style, competitive spirit & work ethic.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#2166 » by DBC10 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:49 pm

Baynes just dropped a cool 37 with like a million threes. The game has truly evolved.

He might’ve secured himself enough interest for another long term contract. A possible overpay candidate for some desperate team needing some interior big presence that can shoot like how Brook Lopez did last year. Crazy we might’ve miscast him during his tenure here. He always has that nice midrange game though that I remember.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#2167 » by BJK1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#2168 » by chrbal » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 pm

I’m happy he’s at least still in consideration for these type of jobs. Even as an interim. Kings need something, they’ve been treadmilling for a long time
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#2169 » by NotACat » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:16 pm

Charlotte announced new jerseys and a new court yesterday: https://hornetsuniforms.com/
https://www.nba.com/hornets/video/teams/hornets/2020/08/31/3399208/1598895167729-initial-new-court-reveal16x9f1-3399208

Any chance the Pistons get a refresh on the brand? Saw some great concepts on twitter
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Black Lives Matter
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#2170 » by chrbal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:08 am

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#2171 » by Crymson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 am

chrbal wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30109067/sources-stan-van-gundy-emerging-one-new-orleans-pelicans-coaching-finalists%3fplatform=amp

Obviously nothing official, but this would be hilarious if he took over the pelicans

I would feel badly for Pelicans fans. The guy was a dreadful coach in Detroit.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#2172 » by BJK1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Crymson wrote:
chrbal wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30109067/sources-stan-van-gundy-emerging-one-new-orleans-pelicans-coaching-finalists%3fplatform=amp

Obviously nothing official, but this would be hilarious if he took over the pelicans

I would feel badly for Pelicans fans. The guy was a dreadful coach in Detroit.

Woj at ESPN now confirming that SVG has been named HC of the Pelicans.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2173 » by Snakebites » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm

SVG to the Pelicans is a pretty odd fit.

I don't think he's a bad coach at all- I think his job as Executive was particularly bad, and I think any coach would look bad with some of the rosters he had to work with.

Still, he didn't do much to convince me he can develop young talent all that well, and he’s also fairly abrasive.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#2174 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:56 am

Snakebites wrote:I don't think he's a bad coach at all- I think his job as Executive was particularly bad, and I think any coach would look bad with some of the rosters he had to work with.

We finally disagree on something. Throughout his final two years in Detroit, he was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. He was nothing special in his first two seasons. And though the rosters he built were mediocre, I think they were fully capable of competing in the first round if ably coached; he simply drew less, in some cases much less, from each of those roster than the sum of its parts.

In any event, I'd say his shortcomings were fully independent of personnel.

Still, he didn't do much to convince me he can develop young talent all that well, and he’s also fairly abrasive.

He was horrendous at it for the Pistons. He harshly punished his youngsters for making mistakes of which his veterans were guilty on a gamely basis.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2175 » by Snakebites » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:01 am

Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I don't think he's a bad coach at all- I think his job as Executive was particularly bad, and I think any coach would look bad with some of the rosters he had to work with.

We finally disagree on something. Throughout his final two years in Detroit, he was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. He was nothing special in his first two seasons. And though the rosters he built were mediocre, I think they were fully capable of competing in the first round if ably coached; he simply drew less, in some cases much less, from each of those roster than the sum of its parts.

In any event, I'd say his shortcomings were fully independent of personnel.

He was horrendous at it for the Pistons. He harshly punished his youngsters for making mistakes of which his veterans were guilty on a gamely basis.

He was extremely burned out in the last 2 years of his tenure here as a coach, I thought he was okay the first couple years.

And I guess you have a higher opinion of those rosters than I do.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#2176 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Snakebites wrote:He was extremely burned out in the last 2 years of his tenure here as a coach, I thought he was okay the first couple years.

I think he was okay in the first couple of years also, but no better than okay. He had his flaws. I don't think burnout was his issue, but rather a lot of inherent flaws. And if he were burned out, he had all the power to simply replace himself as coach.

I think he just can't coach effectively in the modern NBA.

And I guess you have a higher opinion of those rosters than I do.

The East was very weak during his tenure. Making the playoffs didn't require much. The Pistons very nearly did so in his final two seasons despite injuries and his own maladroitness.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#2177 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:46 pm

Ehh, he would have traded Drummond to the Kings as well if Gores didn't stop him. Gores had given him a win now mandate and forced him to build around a player like Dre labeling him pretty much off limit in trades.

SVG was actually pretty good in trades and always made sure to say he wouldn't jeopardize the future like picks for the present in a treadmill move. He didn't back off that till the end of his tenure here and got desperate to keep up with Gores win now demands after making the playoffs and then missing them the next year.

Gores was and always has been the biggest thorn on the Pistons side. Trying to become buddies with the bigger name players and stepping in on his personal feelings instead of actual NBA knowledge.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#2178 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Ehh, he would have traded Drummond to the Kings as well if Gores didn't stop him.

I'm guessing that's based off of this rumor, which came from a random, small-time sportswriter and was almost undoubtedly an invention.

SVG was actually pretty good in trades and always made sure to say he wouldn't jeopardize the future like picks for the present in a treadmill move. He didn't back off that till the end of his tenure here and got desperate to keep up with Gores win now demands after making the playoffs and then missing them the next year.

Jeff Bower, not SVG, did the in-season work. That included the trades, sans the Griffin deal. And the Pistons were thrown a couple of hilarious trade bones by the Suns and Magic during SVG's tenure, courtesy of the woefully incompetent general managers then in charge of those rosters. The Pistons were more or less given Morris, Bullock, and Harris for free. That wasn't the product of wizardy by Bower or SVG, but rather ineptitude on the part of McDonough and Hennigan. Each of those was a complete failure in his tenure. Jackson became available for cheap thanks to his public unprofessionalism, which ruined his trade value.

Gores was and always has been the biggest thorn on the Pistons side. Trying to become buddies with the bigger name players and stepping in on his personal feelings instead of actual NBA knowledge.

He's certainly been a big problem, but he's also employed incompetents like Dumars and Van Gundy. He didn't make their mistakes.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#2179 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Crymson wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Ehh, he would have traded Drummond to the Kings as well if Gores didn't stop him.

I'm guessing that's based off of this rumor, which came from a random, small-time sportswriter and was almost undoubtedly an invention.

Jeff Bower, not SVG, did the in-season work. That included the trades, sans the Griffin deal. And the Pistons were thrown a couple of hilarious trade bones by the Suns and Magic during SVG's tenure, courtesy of the woefully incompetent general managers then in charge of those rosters. The Pistons were more or less given Morris, Bullock, and Harris for free. That wasn't the product of wizardy by Bower or SVG, but rather ineptitude on the part of McDonough and Hennigan. Each of those was a complete failure in his tenure. Jackson became available for cheap thanks to his public unprofessionalism, which ruined his trade value.

He's certainly been a big problem, but he's also employed incompetents like Dumars and Van Gundy. He didn't make their mistakes.

Nobody gifted anything in Harris and they wanted out of that deal they gave him in the offseason once he wasn't taking the next step but going the other way and we were scrutinized for taking it on at the time by many.

Same with Mook, at the time he was known as the worse of the Morris twins but we seen something in him in a deal anybody could of had and took the chance.

Bowers was basically a puppet doing the office work so SVG could focus more on coaching but SVG was filled in and had the final say so over him.

That Drummond to Kings is nothing more than a rumour now but I believe it and even Valenti had a show on some inside sources at the time saying it was real and Gores said no (which is not hard to believe at all)
Crymson
Rookie

Post#2180 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Your trying to hard, nobody gifted anything in Harris and they wanted out of that deal they gave him in the offseason once he wasn't taking the next step but going the other way and we were scrutinized for taking it on at the time by many.

Rob Hennigan moved Harris because he believed that Aaron Gordon was the team's future at power forward. Harris was at the time only 23 years old, in the midst of a solid season, and on a reasonable contract with an advantageous, frontloaded salary structure. He was an effective scorer who was still developing. Hennigan traded him for expiring contracts and then replaced him, with Jeff Green, whom he paid a nearly identical salary, in the offseason. He was absolutely castigated for that trade, and rightly so: he gave away a young, effective scorer on a respectable contract for nothing but cap space in return. The Pistons made out like absolute bandits: they got said commodity for free.

Same with Mook, at the time he was known as the worse of the Morris twins but we seen something in him in a deal anybody could of had and took the chance.

Ryan McDonough traded Morris and Bullock in a cap dump as part of an effort to sign LaMarcus Aldridge, a gambit in the course of which he also handed out that large and very ill-advised contract to Tyson Chandler. Morris was at the time a solid player on a fantastic contract.

Bowers was basically a puppet doing the office work so SVG could focus more on coaching but SVG was filled in and had the final say so over him.

I don't perceive your point.

That Drummond to Kings is nothing more than a rumour now but I believe it and even Valenti had a show on some inside sources at the time saying it was real and Gores said no (which is not hard to believe at all)

I suspect you are referring to this rumor from the 2017 trade deadline, which actually stated that the Pistons had offered a package centered around Drummond but had been turned down by Sacramento.

Though the Kings weren't particularly well-managed at that time, no team in its right mind would have traded Cousins for Drummond. Cousins had always been the much better player, and Drummond was in the midst of a regressive season. New Orleans was his ultimate destination in part because Sacramento's owner was infatuated with Buddy Hield.

Return to Detroit Pistons