Chasson Randle's Attempts To Sign 10-Day NBA Contract Blocked By Chinese Team

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Chasson Randle's Attempts To Sign 10-Day NBA Contract Blocked By Chinese Team 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Chasson Randle has twice tried to sign 10-day contracts with NBA teams, but he has been unable to obtain his FIBA letter of clearance from the Tianjin Gold Lions.

Chasson returned to the United States on January 26th after the Chinese Basketball Association suspended play due to the coronavirus outbreak.

"His payments are currently behind with no date provided of when he will receive salary owed," agent Darrell Comer told ESPN. "He has been offered opportunities to sign 10-day contracts with NBA teams, but Tianjin has denied his FIBA clearance despite the fact that the 10-day contracts will expire before all rumored dates if the China season will resume.

"Chasson is not only being prevented from making income, but also from furthering his career as a NBA player. We are speaking to bring awareness to this unfair issue for Chasson, but also for the other talented players who are back from China and may experience similar issues soon."

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Re: Chasson Randle's Attempts To Sign 10-Day NBA Contract Blocked By Chinese Team 

Post#2 » by arasu » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 pm

It should be pretty much automatic. If another team isn't paying salary on time, contracts are either void or at least temporarily suspended until an acceptable resolution occurs.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Chasson Randle's Attempts To Sign 10-Day NBA Contract Blocked By Chinese Team 

Post#3 » by jlokine » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:29 pm

arasu wrote:It should be pretty much automatic. If another team isn't paying salary on time, contracts are either void or at least temporarily suspended until an acceptable resolution occurs.

tough to say.. what if he gets injured on a 10-day contract? unless there was an out-clause on his contract with the chinese team (which many players with nba aspirations have i believe), the chinese team is not obligated to release him.

cause if he gets injured on a 10-day, or if he doesnt get injured on a 10-day and comes back to the chinese team and gets injured on day 1 (not due to freak injury), that's quite a mess on who should pay out for treatments..

kinda like nhlers at the olympics dilemma.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#4 » by binjumper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 pm

jlokine wrote:
arasu wrote:It should be pretty much automatic. If another team isn't paying salary on time, contracts are either void or at least temporarily suspended until an acceptable resolution occurs.

tough to say.. what if he gets injured on a 10-day contract? unless there was an out-clause on his contract with the chinese team (which many players with nba aspirations have i believe), the chinese team is not obligated to release him.

cause if he gets injured on a 10-day, or if he doesnt get injured on a 10-day and comes back to the chinese team and gets injured on day 1 (not due to freak injury), that's quite a mess on who should pay out for treatments..

But if you're not getting paid how is that the players problem? I would make sense if he was still receiving a salary which he isn't. People forget corps will take advantage of you any way possible. Never defend greed.
floppypoppy
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#5 » by floppypoppy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 pm

F**K that, and China.. free Chasson!
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 pm

binjumper wrote:
jlokine wrote:

But if you're not getting paid how is that the players problem? I would make sense if he was still receiving a salary which he isn't. People forget corps will take advantage of you any way possible. Never defend greed.

well, i m not defending greed.. i m objectively looking at the legality of it.. fringe players like these have no leverage.. last thing he wants is being sued by the chinese team for breaching contract for the amount of money he doesnt have.. unless the nba team wants to pay it.. and i doubt nba teams would stick their neck out for a fringe player just to fill a roster spot..

and also, with all this corona virus talk, ppl are ok with a non-asian man coming back onto american soil from china but if a chinese person comes, it's not ok? yea, it's not racism at all..
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#7 » by binjumper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm

jlokine wrote:
binjumper wrote:
jlokine wrote:

well, i m not defending greed.. i m objectively looking at the legality of it.. fringe players like these have no leverage.. last thing he wants is being sued by the chinese team for breaching contract for the amount of money he doesnt have.. unless the nba team wants to pay it.. and i doubt nba teams would stick their neck out for a fringe player just to fill a roster spot..

and also, with all this corona virus talk, ppl are ok with a non-asian man coming back onto american soil from china but if a chinese person comes, it's not ok? yea, it's not racism at all..

The last sentence has nothing to do with my point, but if they aren't paying him then they are breaching the contract.

Let's say you signed a contract with a company and they decided not to pay you. Would you continue working there or find new employment?
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#8 » by arasu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 pm

jlokine wrote:
binjumper wrote:
jlokine wrote:

A service contract has two basic obligations, the obligation to provide a service and the obligation to pay for it. If one of those two is breached, the other ceases to exist. This is about FIBA rules and fine print. The current situation lacks precedence in the rules, and players can be screwed over because of it.

As for your racism comment, you're making up stuff out of nothing. If Jeremy Lin was in this situation, it would be the exact same issue. Making up racism claims out of thin air is messed up and wrong. Don't do it again. Thanks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion