Clippers Interested In Re-Signing Both Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Clippers Interested In Re-Signing Both Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:12 am

The Los Angeles Clippers have key free agent decisions to make this offseason in Montrezl Harrell and Marcus Morris.

The Clippers are interested in re-signing both Harrell and Morris, according to league sources that spoke with The Athletic

The Clippers will likely operate as an over the cap team in the offseason and would have limited resources to replace Harrell and Morris in free agency.

At one point this season, Harrell was projected to earn as much as $20 million to $25 million per season but that number has likely decreased due to the dearth of teams with cap space.

The Clippers will have the non-Bird rights on Morris, which means they can pay him up to $18 million in Year 1 of his next contract based on his current $15 million salary. 

Via Jovan Buha/The Athletic

The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Re: Clippers Interested In Re-Signing Both Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris 

Post#2 » by The Lamma » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 am

Come back to NY, Mook.

You were meant to be here, thrived here, played your best ball here, family is nearby, we have draft assets going forward finally...

Let's build, let's turn this sht around, leggo!!!!!
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:27 am

As the article says they have no cap space to replace them and when your owner is Steve Balmer going into Luxury tax does not mean much.. This team is basically a fun past time for Balmer it does not need to be profitable just fun..
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#4 » by deeps6x » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:07 am

The Raptors will have a ton of cap space and should go after Harrell.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#5 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 am

Balmer will have two brinks trucks ready if they win it all, if they dont , one of will be expendable im guessing
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#6 » by 23artest23 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:As the article says they have no cap space to replace them and when your owner is Steve Balmer going into Luxury tax does not mean much.. This team is basically a fun past time for Balmer it does not need to be profitable just fun..

This is something that I think needs addressed. As a Pacer fan, I've watched year after year where the Pacers have to be fiscally responsible and conservative. On the other hand, I've watched year after year where other franchises are free to spend and spend some more without putting much thought or care into the future. The playing field is naturally not even and will probably always be that way because very few players would rather go play in Indiana/Memphis/Detroit/etc versus LA/Miami/Houston/etc. With that said, the playing field is further uneven when the owners of said teams are willing to spend whatever as the owners of other teams will operate strictly within the salary cap. I really want to see this addressed somehow
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#7 » by 720 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:03 pm

23artest23 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:As the article says they have no cap space to replace them and when your owner is Steve Balmer going into Luxury tax does not mean much.. This team is basically a fun past time for Balmer it does not need to be profitable just fun..

This is something that I think needs addressed. As a Pacer fan, I've watched year after year where the Pacers have to be fiscally responsible and conservative. On the other hand, I've watched year after year where other franchises are free to spend and spend some more without putting much thought or care into the future. The playing field is naturally not even and will probably always be that way because very few players would rather go play in Indiana/Memphis/Detroit/etc versus LA/Miami/Houston/etc. With that said, the playing field is further uneven when the owners of said teams are willing to spend whatever as the owners of other teams will operate strictly within the salary cap. I really want to see this addressed somehow

Dude it has already been addressed. They are cap locked. They have no leeway to add additional talent by simply overpaying for it. They are stuck to only retaining the talent they already have.

If this were some other league with less restrictions owners like Ballmer could just keep adding new guys every year without worry. The nba has a salary cap, a luxury tax and a repeater tax. Players are also limited to set years on their contracts (not like the old nba where you could sign players to 7 year deals). What more can the nba do to pander to small market teams?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 pm

720 wrote:
23artest23 wrote:

Dude it has already been addressed. They are cap locked. They have no leeway to add additional talent by simply overpaying for it. They are stuck to only retaining the talent they already have.

If this were some other league with less restrictions owners like Ballmer could just keep adding new guys every year without worry. The nba has a salary cap, a luxury tax and a repeater tax. Players are also limited to set years on their contracts (not like the old nba where you could sign players to 7 year deals). What more can the nba do to pander to small market teams?

The current CBA is pretty hard on teams that continually go over the cap. It is all fun and games until you effectively have to decide whether to bring back a guy like Marcus Morris for like $50 million per year (when your luxury/repeater tax eventually kicks in.)
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:19 am

23artest23 wrote:

It already had been addressed. There’s a luxury tax in place and a repeater tax meaning it costs teams an even higher percentage of tax if they continue to remain in the tax year after year.

To say that the same teams are spending more than the rest of the league year after year would be incorrect. Golden State went into the repeater tax in order to keep their championship team together and that’s been about it. But they weren’t a tax team prior to that and obviously they’re not going to make any playoff revenue this season to help foot their huge tax bill.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion