Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#141 » by mjkvol » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:50 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

People question why I hold strong opinions about Brett Brown and his inability to figure out rotations/recognize usable players. The Horford/Embiid starting lineup has just been the most publicized misstep.

I'm not so sure there are a lot of people questioning that. I would question those who have strong opinions the opposite way.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#142 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:09 am

blargh wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

People question why I hold strong opinions about Brett Brown and his inability to figure out rotations/recognize usable players. The Horford/Embiid starting lineup has just been the most publicized misstep.

For all of his faults, this story is exactly why I respect Brown. He didn’t have to volunteer this story, which doesn’t exactly paint him in a positive light, but he’s consistently candid and honest.

I mean, that's something to admire I suppose. But when your job is to know the most capable players in given situations, especially starter worthy players, I'd like him to be honest and competent.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#143 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:17 am

Eyeamok wrote:
The thing is Shake stayed ready. And maybe coach Brown telling him that was the kick in the ass he needed. How many times do you just want to prove people wrong. So you work even harder to prove you are better than what people think. I think this is what happened is happening with Shake.

It should be mentioned in the 5 games preceding the NBA trade deadline, at the height of Shake's minutes (around 29 mpg), he was averaging 13 ppg, 1.2spg, 3apg, 3rpg, 87%FT, 41% 3FG, 53% FG, including a 27pt 6ast showing against the Hawks. He has shown he's capable of filling that offensive role that's needed to compliment Ben and Joel, but Brett was satisfied with a trade for a non-shooting combo guard in Alec Burks, so he phased him out. It's honestly baffling to me.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#144 » by Eyeamok » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:37 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
The thing is Shake stayed ready. And maybe coach Brown telling him that was the kick in the ass he needed. How many times do you just want to prove people wrong. So you work even harder to prove you are better than what people think. I think this is what happened is happening with Shake.

It should be mentioned in the 5 games preceding the NBA trade deadline, at the height of Shake's minutes (around 29 mpg), he was averaging 13 ppg, 1.2spg, 3apg, 3rpg, 87%FT, 41% 3FG, 53% FG, including a 27pt 6ast showing against the Hawks. He has shown he's capable of filling that offensive role that's needed to compliment Ben and Joel, but Brett was satisfied with a trade for a non-shooting combo guard in Alec Burks, so he phased him out. It's honestly baffling to me.

I've said this before. Coach Brown is not the quickest to realize what is going on. But once he gets it he gets it
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kova
Veteran
And1: 709

Post#145 » by Kova » Mon Mar 2, 2020 12:35 pm

Keep it up Shake! I believe in you!
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#146 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Mar 2, 2020 12:57 pm

As we get healthy and approach the postseason where rotations tighten up-- we should be starting Embiid, Harris, J-Rich, Shake, and Simmons with Horford, Burke, Thybulle, and Korkmaz off the bench.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#147 » by phillynative » Mon Mar 2, 2020 1:46 pm

Maybe this guy is our "Fred Van fleet" type of story
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#148 » by Sportfan73 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:04 pm

phillynative wrote:Maybe this guy is our "Fred Van fleet" type of story

I would say the potential is more CJ like tbh
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#149 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:58 pm

More impressive, breaking the record for consecutive threes or that left handed bucket with Kawhi draped all over him?

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#150 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:04 pm

Better than LAUNDRY shamet. Good thing we hide him in the DLeague
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#151 » by Eyeamok » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:06 pm

You know what's crazy is that I am looking forward to the game against the Lakers. I know the odds are it's going to be a loss. But I want to see this guy continue to develop. It becomes must watch TV at this point in the season.

And I was thinking the same thing Van Gundy echoed yesterday during the broadcast. His family at home must have been going crazy. Seeing him have his coming out party on national TV. Good times in the Milton household watching that game.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#152 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:19 pm

Shake is a prime example of why I only have interest in prospects that generate offense (through scoring or passing), have on ball skills, and a propensity for getting steals/deflections. Despite his shortcomings (his athleticism), his BBIQ gives him an edge to make the correct play. His limitations will never make him an all star, but his skills will allow him to be an excellent role player.

Grabbing 3&D guys really doesn’t have the same ceiling. They never really made sense to me in the first.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#153 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:21 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

It has been shown multiple times how much of a block head Brett really is, but some still refuse to see it. No clue why other than he is a 'nice guy'.

I would really like to have a coach that was actually intelligent instead of one that tries so hard to sound like he is intelligent. Its irritating that someone like him can keep the job really, I hate my boss but at least I know he is intelligent. I'm pretty sure the people under Brown can't say the same thing unless they are dumber than him.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#154 » by youngcrev » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:44 pm

He's going to continue to get a shot with Ben out for the foreseeable future. We'll see if he can build on this. Amazing game, but this is the same guy we saw struggle in summer league. Hoping this is a sign of things to come, but I'll wait and see before anointing him anything.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#155 » by agiaco » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:20 pm

youngcrev wrote:He's going to continue to get a shot with Ben out for the foreseeable future. We'll see if he can build on this. Amazing game, but this is the same guy we saw struggle in summer league. Hoping this is a sign of things to come, but I'll wait and see before anointing him anything.

It was indeed an impressive performance. Let's remember Furkan's 65 points in two games as a reminder that it's very possible limited production could follow.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#156 » by Mik317 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:41 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Shake is a prime example of why I only have interest in prospects that generate offense (through scoring or passing), have on ball skills, and a propensity for getting steals/deflections. Despite his shortcomings (his athleticism), his BBIQ gives him an edge to make the correct play. His limitations will never make him an all star, but his skills will allow him to be an excellent role player.

Grabbing 3&D guys really doesn’t have the same ceiling. They never really made sense to me in the first.

yep.

Most of the so called 3 and D prospects often lack either the 3 or the D...or both. Many of the dudes who are 3 and D guys were college guys who did a lot of stuff well but not enough to have that role on this level. PJ Tucker for example was a classic college small 4 who posted up and grown manned his away around. He then found out that doesn't work on this level and through being cut a lot, he added a jumper and found his niche. Trevor Ariza was the same. Danny Green too. Covington was a chucker in college IIRC. Many of the 3 and D dudes of today kinda failed and then changed their way...they very rarely enter the league like that.

so drafting guys JUST to do that is so short sighted lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 698

Post#157 » by AI_Efficiency » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:53 pm

youngcrev wrote:He's going to continue to get a shot with Ben out for the foreseeable future. We'll see if he can build on this. Amazing game, but this is the same guy we saw struggle in summer league. Hoping this is a sign of things to come, but I'll wait and see before anointing him anything.

I could be mistaken, but I think in summer league a lot of his struggles came when he was playing point guard and asked to do a lot on offense. I tend to think he's probably not a guy who can run an offense yet, or be the go to option, but that is fine for our purposes. When Ben comes back, we need him to be an off-ball scorer that can space the floor and also bring some secondary playmaking. I'm hopeful that in that role he can excel.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#158 » by phillynative » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:54 pm

I remember that summer league by him he was bad which is probably partly why korkmaz and thybulle got the nod over him. I'm hoping he has put in the work and time to get better and this is the result of it .
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#159 » by Sportfan73 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 6:25 pm

phillynative wrote:

I remember that summer league by him he was bad which is probably partly why korkmaz and thybulle got the nod over him. I'm hoping he has put in the work and time to get better and this is the result of it .

A bad summer league doesn’t mean he needed to put time and work in to get better
phillynative
General Manager

Post#160 » by phillynative » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:52 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

A bad summer league doesn’t mean he needed to put time and work in to get better

Why not ?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers