ImageImage

mystery of nurk

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Re: mystery of nurk 

Post#21 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Mar 1, 2020 11:16 pm

if his psyche is good, hell pick up where he left off and will continue to get better

he was well on his way to becoming an all-star
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#22 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:36 am

zzaj wrote:I imagine it'd be good for Nurkic's psyche to get a few games in so that he can unequivocally put the "I can actually play this sport again, competitively" question out of his mind for good. But I don't think he'd have much of an impact in the W/L column. We've seen how long it takes players with this type of injury to return to prior form. We may not see Nurkic playing up to the way he played prior to his last injury until well into next season. Of course, he may never be the same after that injury, but I wouldn't count on that.

Well luckily this season is nearly a lost cause unless Dame can come back and rattle off 15+ wins out of 20 games I don't think we are looking at the 8th seed. Nurkic coming back would be a very low pressure situation, probably his best case coming back it's not like we are battling for the 4th seed and need to win every game possible.

**** if Nurkic can show any good signs of his old play I'm sure the fans will be very appreciative.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#23 » by Matt800 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 8:59 am

Quick said on his podcast that he talked to Collins and Collins seemed confident if not assured that he'd be back before the Brooklyn game in late March. In other words Collins plans to be back this month.

Quick also said the Nurkic situation is based on him getting in full practices and that the earliest he'd think Nurkic would come back would be after 2 practices which would be March 15th. I think between mid March and early April is a reasonable range for when he'll return.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#24 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:52 pm

steph curry has been sent to the g league, victor oladipo has been sent to the g league, caris levert has been sent to the g league and i could go on and on, but nurk is not been sent to the g league

if he needs practices, send him to the g league with one of our coaches
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#25 » by d-train » Mon Mar 2, 2020 11:52 pm

Practices has nothing to do with it, that's nonsense. Think about it. How is practice better than a game? How would it not be better to use Nurkic during the 10 minutes that would normally go to Biggie? Nurkic will play when the team decides he is ready to play.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#26 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:04 am

i dont know if you read the op in full, but this is what nurk said:

The biggest hurdle standing between Nurkic and his return, he says, is being able to practice.

“All I know is I’m trying to figure out how I can get more practices, because we don’t have many practices,” Nurkic said. “That’s the only thing I can tell you. That’s the only reason I can come back: If I find somehow to practice.”

either youre wrong or nurk is lying
d-train
RealGM

Post#27 » by d-train » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:10 am

Nurk is not lying if someone told him to wait for some practices.

Players come back from injury all the time without any practices. Practices are every bit as dangerous as playing in a game. Nurk will be back when the team decides he is ready to play.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#28 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:50 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:i dont know if you read the op in full, but this is what nurk said:

The biggest hurdle standing between Nurkic and his return, he says, is being able to practice.

“All I know is I’m trying to figure out how I can get more practices, because we don’t have many practices,” Nurkic said. “That’s the only thing I can tell you. That’s the only reason I can come back: If I find somehow to practice.”

either youre wrong or nurk is lying

Yeah if retired players, reporters who have been around the trail blazers for a long time, and Nurk himself are saying it is related to getting in full practices, that implies it has something to do with practices. :lol:
rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Post#29 » by rasta_marley » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:09 am

Nurk has inherited the Blazers curse here in the city of broken knees.....
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#30 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:17 am

nurk was cleared by the doctors for full contact practices and i agree with d-train, that practices are as dangerous as games, but the team wanted to see how his body reacts to full contact before they give him permission to play games

obviously, given that he was cleared by the doctors, that means he could have played games in late january, it was just that the blazers wanted him to get lets say a week of full contact practices before they allow him to play games

terry stotts said nurk suffered mild calf injury (7-10 days), but its been a month since that (alleged) injury happened, so its more severe injury than first thought, given he hasnt practiced since

if nurk is out for the season (maybe they dont want to bring him back, maybe hes not mentally ready), they should say so, if they plan on bringing him back, they should say so... in every interview so far, they have been mysterious

neil olshey said nurk coming back will be best mid-season trade, but **** him, i dont trust him nothing

given how the blazers, coach and nurk are handling this situation, i dont trust them nothing, literally nothing
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#31 » by Goldbum » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:26 am

I would never wish for our team to lose. However let's face it, less is more when we are talking about this season. A healthy Nurk/Collins rounding into form at years end is probably a smart decision given the realities of our season so far. If we miss the playoffs it's a horrible waste of one of Dame's prime years, but hobbling his starting frontcourt could be a waste that we don't recover from for several seasons.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#32 » by d-train » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:33 am

rasta_marley wrote:Nurk has inherited the Blazers curse here in the city of broken knees.....

Roy was bad knees. Walton, Bowie, and Nurkic were broken bones. LaRue Martin and Oden were a mixture of no talent and no drive to compete. Moses Malone and Jermaine O'Neal were bad management decisions.
d-train
RealGM

Post#33 » by d-train » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:37 am

On Nurk's return, teams decide to not listen to players often. In fact, when the team decides they can't trust the input of the player, it makes their decision very difficult. It's way easier on the team when they can trust the player because doctors will always talk out of both sides of their mouth.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#34 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:44 am

i do believe nurk will be back, to get the feel for the game back, to get his confidence back etc

just to be prepared going into the next season
Matt800
Rookie

Post#35 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:47 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:terry stotts said nurk suffered mild calf injury (7-10 days), but its been a month since that (alleged) injury happened, so its more severe injury than first thought, given he hasnt practiced since

The have full practices when they have 2+ days off in a row. A 10 day calf injury would have missed all available practices up to now. The issue is they don't practice often. Which is why Nurkic said that in his comment.

They probably want to see him have at least a few practices in a row without any setbacks. Depending on how many his earliest return would be March 15th (2 practices). But more likely closer to April.

We'll likely hear more around March 9th, 14th, 21st, or April 1st which would be after opportunities for him to practice. As to why they are going off needing full practices, I don't know, it's not like Carmelo practiced with the team before playing. But maybe something about full practices with the team is a safe environment for him to test himself. Maybe their medical staff is there to evaluate, which wouldn't happen if he were practicing in another scenario like in the g-league.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#36 » by monopoman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:32 am

I can understand a team being careful with a big man who had a major injury and has had some injury troubles beyond that. This is especially true with our ridiculous history of big men wearing a Blazer jersey over the last 50 years.

They might be pushing for a faster return date if we were in a competitive playoff spot but that is not the case.
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#37 » by AKBlazerFan » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:47 pm

So is the general consensus that him and Collins are still a ways (Weeks) from returning, if they return at all this year?
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#38 » by Sinobas » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:28 pm

The Blazers cant scrouge together some guys for Nurk to practice with?
d-train
RealGM

Post#39 » by d-train » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:33 pm

I think we will see Nurk and maybe Collins this month.
d-train
RealGM

Post#40 » by d-train » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:21 pm

AKBlazerFan wrote:So is the general consensus that him and Collins are still a ways (Weeks) from returning, if they return at all this year?

Is that AK Alaska or AK-47?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers