ImageImageImage

Who would you have as head coach?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Stanners
Ballboy
And1: 2

Who would you have as head coach? 

Post#1 » by Stanners » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:19 pm

I see almost daily across anything Philly related, "FIRE BRETT BROWN". Obviously there are positives and negatives to this but no one really ever brings up who they would replace him with.

So who would you like to replace Brett if he was hypothetically fired?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Re: Who would you have as head coach? 

Post#2 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:04 pm

Stanners wrote:I see almost daily across anything Philly related, "FIRE BRETT BROWN". Obviously there are positives and negatives to this but no one really ever brings up who they would replace him with.

So who would you like to replace Brett if he was hypothetically fired?
This has been the main hangup when it comes to replacing Brett. The market isn't exactly flooded with can't miss candidates and I don't believe our front office is capable of unearthing the next Nick Nurse.

If the disappointment themed season carries into the playoffs and we get bounced early then I'm sure we'll deem it necessary to make a change. It's a huge hire, so we can only hope they have viable targets in place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,811

Post#3 » by Mik317 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:24 pm

someone who can devise a system that caters to Ben and Embiid and not be stuck on this "beautiful basketball" stuff Brett is on. Brett is a great guy and did a great job keeping this **** together but for us to take the next step we need someone who if they are going to be slaves to their system, has a system that fits our best two guys. I think Bud is a guy who flops in the playoffs BUT he came with a system that allowed Giannis to take a next step rather than Kidd's be like me system that didn't really work with Giannis' skillset.

So while the flashy hire of Jay Wright will be thrown around...I don't think he is that guy because even with the college coach issues,. he has been a chuck 3s with small ball type dude for a while...not a great fit with our dudes.

now who is this mythical candidate? who the **** knows lol.

But knowing this ownership, they will go for a known name and probably give them too much power lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
MambaJuice
Junior
And1: 194

Post#4 » by MambaJuice » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:27 pm

Jay Wright is at the top of the list.

I guess Jeff Van Gundy if we can't find anyone else.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,902

Post#5 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:39 pm

There has to be a young coach somewhere in the league from a successful program who will come in here and run a scheme that caters to what Simmons and Embiid do. It's up to Brand & Co. to find that guy, then it's their job to shape the roster to fit that scheme, not force an archaic idea that worked 20-25 years ago.

Sorry I don't have a name, but that guy absolutely exists, and to play the "who are you gonna get?" game and settle for more Brown or some retread is a loser's game. If Brand doesn't have the vision and imagination to think outside the box, and look at what was done wrong this season and address it, then he needs to be shown the door along with Brown.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:47 pm

coming out of the break, i would have settled for Jeff van, Kevin Mac, and even old Hubie just for a couple of months of easy competence. let alone, the situation is damn near identical to what Phil stepped into in Chicago and LA. just to finish this season, you know. hell, Larry Brown could figure out a decent rotation for a few weeks. just so we take a legitimate shot of this particular post season. and then you could take your time and look for rising stock or new blood.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:51 pm

If just Brett were to get fired and the front office group were to remain in place, anyone else a bit scared about who they would land on for the head coaching job?

Like they'll get the guy that's the biggest name who is actually an awful coach, or bring in a guy who has a set system that doesn't fit his stars, or someone that will alienate players and cause them to want out.

Because if we've learned anything with these guys, it can always get worse.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#8 » by sixers4real » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:43 pm

Bring back Sam and let him decide
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#9 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:13 pm

youngcrev wrote:If just Brett were to get fired and the front office group were to remain in place, anyone else a bit scared about who they would land on for the head coaching job?

Like they'll get the guy that's the biggest name who is actually an awful coach, or bring in a guy who has a set system that doesn't fit his stars, or someone that will alienate players and cause them to want out.

Because if we've learned anything with these guys, it can always get worse.
Terrified. Eddie Jordan was a name back in 2009.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,739

Post#10 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:37 pm

I know this is about coaches but I miss pat croce more than anything. You just knew he was not only financially invested but also invested as a fan who was going to push this team to succeed to no end.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#11 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:15 pm

I’m firmly on the “anyone but Brett” train. Watching poor lineup configurations, the team blowing giant leads, and not showing up the road is getting real old. Change is needed. And that’s just on the court stuff...obviously the culture of the locker room needs a change too.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#12 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:42 am

Becky Hammon.

boom.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#13 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:16 am

Give Jay Wright HC and president of basketball operations position. If this ship is going down, I'd rather the decision making be from a solo, united voice.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,902

Post#14 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:19 am

Foshan wrote:Becky Hammon.

boom.

Stop.

Besides, I've about had my fill of the Pop tree, thank you.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#15 » by kio80 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:23 am

Honestly, I am not a pro Brett guy but I am against firing him and getting a new coach.
Why? Cause I do not trust Elton Brand, does anyone honestly trust that he will bring in someone competent to replace BB? After the mess he’s done with this franchise....
I can assure you that we are going to be much worse if we are to fire Brett. That’s why it astonishes me every time when idiots are screaming to fire Brett Brown, you gonna regret, Elton is gonna get someone much much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Meltzer
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#16 » by Dave Meltzer » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:35 am

kio80 wrote:Honestly, I am not a pro Brett guy but I am against firing him and getting a new coach.

You might get your way. I could see Ben committing to playing in the Olympics. Since Brett will be the coach, to avoid things being awkward for Ben, they decide to keep Brett for another year.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#17 » by mithrandir17 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:30 am

Negrodamus wrote:Give Jay Wright HC and president of basketball operations position. If this ship is going down, I'd rather the decision making be from a solo, united voice.

Like what happened with Thibs and the TWolves? or with Doc Rivers with the clippers?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#18 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:03 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Give Jay Wright HC and president of basketball operations position. If this ship is going down, I'd rather the decision making be from a solo, united voice.

Like what happened with Thibs and the TWolves? or with Doc Rivers with the clippers?

Yep, except those are different people, so outcomes may vary.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#19 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:13 am

TY LUE...a young, CHAMPIONSHIP winning coach who knows the East inside out and has coached star players too. Oh, and right now he's learning even more knowledge alongside Doc at the Clippers...there's no better guy and If folks try to use Lebron as an excuse then Jackson, Ker, Riley etc are also trash going by that logic because they all won titles with world class players.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#20 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:27 am

Realistically?

The options look weak.

Avery johnson, Stan Van Gundy and Tyrone Lue.

My favorites?

Carlisle, Spoelstra and Pop.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers