ImageImageImage

Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#541 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:32 am

I haven't been watching Iowa closely lately. Anyone there doing anything now?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#542 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:51 am

Jedzz wrote:I haven't been watching Iowa closely lately. Anyone there doing anything now?

Well, Jacob Evans is shooting 16.7% from the field in an Iowa uniform and 8.3% from 3-point range. Oh, you mean anything positive.....?

Jarred Vanderbilt and Omari Spellman have been the main guys of note. Vanderbilt moreso than Spellman for me due to consistency and future positional need for Minnesota.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#543 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:15 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I haven't been watching Iowa closely lately. Anyone there doing anything now?

Well, Jacob Evans is shooting 16.7% from the field in an Iowa uniform and 8.3% from 3-point range. Oh, you mean anything positive.....?

Jarred Vanderbilt and Omari Spellman have been the main guys of note. Vanderbilt moreso than Spellman for me due to consistency and future positional need for Minnesota.

Read on Twitter

Webb and Robinson looked smooth in that clip. If Evans is consistently shooting that bad, you gotta think he just wants out?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#544 » by minimus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#545 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:39 pm

Spellman got a DNP-CD in Iowa.....not great for his future here.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,151

Post#546 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:36 pm

Klomp wrote:Spellman got a DNP-CD in Iowa.....not great for his future here.

Maybe he is sick or had something personal going on. Otherwise something is very wrong here.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#547 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:14 am

winforlose wrote:

Maybe he is sick or had something personal going on. Otherwise something is very wrong here.

It's something personal I think, but probably not in a traditional way you might expect. Read this article from The Athletic written this past December about his journey if you get a chance, it's quite illuminating: https://theathletic.com/1422941/2019/12/02/warriors-omari-spellman-back-in-atlanta-doesnt-blame-the-hawks-for-his-destructive-rookie-season/

I didn’t know what was going to happen. But I knew for a fact that, at some point, the relationship had gotten so toxic in Atlanta — organizational to player. They had tried a lot of stuff, they really did and I could never say they didn’t. They tried a lot of stuff to help me and I was just not in a place to accept that help yet. I could tell they were frustrated. I won’t say I knew I was going to get traded, but I knew something was going to happen. Either this year I was going to start in the G League or this season, I don’t touch the court. Or I knew I wasn’t going to be in Atlanta anymore.

What was the low point, the turning point, where that mindset flipped?

I got traded here (to the Warriors) and Bob Myers brought me into a meeting. He literally told me: “Yo, bro, you have to be under 280 (pounds) or you’re not going to play.” And, like … I was like, man, this is how far you fell. That’s how far you’ve fallen. Like, 280 is the caveat. You have to be 280. Bro, that’s heavy as ****.

You want to be 260, right?

Not even. Like right now, I was staying at 260 because I was playing the (center). Now that they’ve seen I can shoot, I’m playing the (power forward) more. Those guys are faster. Obviously, I want to add muscle. I may lose weight and turn that into muscle. But it’s like …

So 280 to you used to be way above normal for you?

In college, if I wasn’t 245, I didn’t play. I didn’t start. And now, you’re so heavy, they’re telling you, in the NBA, 280 or we can’t do anything. So that was just tough. After that, I had a conversation with my agent and my mom. I took a picture. Like, I had a picture in the mirror that I’d look at of myself. I don’t know if I can find it. I was just super nasty fat. And it was just, nah, bro, it can’t be me. So I just started grinding. It was not easy. But I eventually got to where I am. And I’m still trying to figure it out every day.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,151

Post#548 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:31 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

It's something personal I think, but probably not in a traditional way you might expect. Read this article from The Athletic written this past December about his journey if you get a chance, it's quite illuminating: https://theathletic.com/1422941/2019/12/02/warriors-omari-spellman-back-in-atlanta-doesnt-blame-the-hawks-for-his-destructive-rookie-season/

I didn’t know what was going to happen. But I knew for a fact that, at some point, the relationship had gotten so toxic in Atlanta — organizational to player. They had tried a lot of stuff, they really did and I could never say they didn’t. They tried a lot of stuff to help me and I was just not in a place to accept that help yet. I could tell they were frustrated. I won’t say I knew I was going to get traded, but I knew something was going to happen. Either this year I was going to start in the G League or this season, I don’t touch the court. Or I knew I wasn’t going to be in Atlanta anymore.

What was the low point, the turning point, where that mindset flipped?

I got traded here (to the Warriors) and Bob Myers brought me into a meeting. He literally told me: “Yo, bro, you have to be under 280 (pounds) or you’re not going to play.” And, like … I was like, man, this is how far you fell. That’s how far you’ve fallen. Like, 280 is the caveat. You have to be 280. Bro, that’s heavy as ****.

You want to be 260, right?

Not even. Like right now, I was staying at 260 because I was playing the (center). Now that they’ve seen I can shoot, I’m playing the (power forward) more. Those guys are faster. Obviously, I want to add muscle. I may lose weight and turn that into muscle. But it’s like …

So 280 to you used to be way above normal for you?

In college, if I wasn’t 245, I didn’t play. I didn’t start. And now, you’re so heavy, they’re telling you, in the NBA, 280 or we can’t do anything. So that was just tough. After that, I had a conversation with my agent and my mom. I took a picture. Like, I had a picture in the mirror that I’d look at of myself. I don’t know if I can find it. I was just super nasty fat. And it was just, nah, bro, it can’t be me. So I just started grinding. It was not easy. But I eventually got to where I am. And I’m still trying to figure it out every day.

I cannot remember where I had this conversation (could be here, Canis, or Rubechat,) but I do see his point. On the one hand I agree he hasn’t earned the right to have an attitude in public or to cause a problem for his team. But, he got traded to a team that is committed to small ball. We already had both KAT and Naz, which meant he is essentially locked out of the center position for the next two seasons at least. If we hadn’t traded for JH he would have had a good opportunity, but with JH the only available spot for him Is backup PF. Between Layman and JJ he is really isn’t even rotation adjacent. From there the situation gets even worse when you consider we straight traded KBD for Vanderbilt. KBD was something of a fan favorite this season. This puts Rosas in a tight spot if we don’t use Vanderbilt at some point. In other words, he goes from playing time in GSW to G league with no future here. That would frustrate anyone. Hopefully we trade him for value next season and make everyone happy.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#549 » by mandurugo » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:31 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

In what sense was he boxed out by two guys? Terrible take.

That said, hopefully he becomes a great player for the wolves...
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#550 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:11 pm

Vanderbilt with a triple double?

Sent from my SM-N970U using RealGM mobile app
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#551 » by jpatrick » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Vanderbilt with a triple double?

12pts, 18 rebs, 11 asts. Interesting. I think he’s going to have to hit the three more frequently to get run here, but he’s an interesting prospect.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#552 » by mandurugo » Sun Mar 8, 2020 2:37 am

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Vanderbilt with a triple double?

12pts, 18 rebs, 11 asts. Interesting. I think he’s going to have to hit the three more frequently to get run here, but he’s an interesting prospect.

One of his biggest issue appears to be his fragility. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#553 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Possible two-way next season?

Read on Twitter

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#554 » by old school 34 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:10 am

What about a guy like Jay Scrubb being our next udfa...wing version of Naz? Saw something like he'd be first Juco guy to potentially get drafted in last 15 yrs? Lefty...6' 6"...40" vert all reportedly? Shot the 3...granted @ that level but @ like 46% clip....seems like a Rosas kind of diamond in the rough type?

FWIW, supposedly has some type of relationship with DLo as well...both Louisville guys?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#555 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:56 am

old school 34 wrote:What about a guy like Jay Scrubb being our next udfa...wing version of Naz? Saw something like he'd be first Juco guy to potentially get drafted in last 15 yrs? Lefty...6' 6"...40" vert all reportedly? Shot the 3...granted @ that level but @ like 46% clip....seems like a Rosas kind of diamond in the rough type?

FWIW, supposedly has some type of relationship with DLo as well...both Louisville guys?

Not sure he'll go undrafted

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#556 » by old school 34 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
old school 34 wrote:What about a guy like Jay Scrubb being our next udfa...wing version of Naz? Saw something like he'd be first Juco guy to potentially get drafted in last 15 yrs? Lefty...6' 6"...40" vert all reportedly? Shot the 3...granted @ that level but @ like 46% clip....seems like a Rosas kind of diamond in the rough type?

Not sure he'll go undrafted
Naz wasn't either? But I get what your saying.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,931

Post#557 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:26 am

Scrubb probably goes higher in the 2nd than most people think. FWIW Darren Wolfson reported Minnesota met with Scrubb the other week.

Also Scrubb isn’t really a Louisville guy.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#558 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Also Scrubb isn’t really a Louisville guy.

Scrubb grew up on the west end of Louisville, Kentucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Scrubb

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,931

Post#559 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 am

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Also Scrubb isn’t really a Louisville guy.

Scrubb grew up on the west end of Louisville, Kentucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Scrubb

Ohhhh. I thought he meant since he committed to Louisville. That makes a lot more sense. Oops!
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#560 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 pm

This could be a potentially significant development this offseason, if they pick right. Essentially they could have next year's two-way players in camp working on the system already. At the very least, Iowa can get a free look at guys. Last year's affiliate players were Canyon Barry, Barry Brown, Lindell Wigginton and Jordan Murphy.

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves