Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The Malik Beasley Thread 

Post#121 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 pm

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:Dunc'd On had their SG rankings for this season.

The list went something like:

Spoiler:
T1
Harden
Klay

T2
Booker
Beal
Mitchell

T3
McCollum
Oladipo
Richardson
Smart
Eric Gordon

T4
JJ Redick
Evan Fournier
Bogdanovic
Lou Williams
Will Barton

Harris
Shamet
Robinson
Lavine
Powell
KCP

Kennard
Huerter
Levert
Hardaway JR
Lamb
Clarkson
Nunn
Divincenzo
Josh Hart
Hield

M. Beasley
Melton
Thybulle
Herro

I bet if it were updated Beasley would move up, but this is definitely more ammo for our stance that as of now we shouldn't be breaking the bank for him.

Well, it's actually updated since it was made yesterday, but in the end they said Beasley can be one of the up and coming players given he is going to have the oportunity. Which is not clear is how much he can go up on those tiers.

If that's updated, then they are just way off. Lot's of good players in that list and many in the wrong order according to me anyway. I think they need to do a little adjusting.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#122 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
The problem is those guys can create his own shot and even create for others too. I don't see that in Malik up to this point.

That's why I said that's his upside. If he settles in as a young JJ Redick as purely a shooter, that's still a good No. 3 option in my books.

I should have specified Tier4 are guys who can create better than Beasley as their assist and FTA seems to indicate.

If you thnk Tier 4 is better than what Beasely has been showing the Wolves I don't know what to say. Nothing worth talking about.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#123 » by TheZachAttack » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:40 pm

So we're currently at...

33 mpg - 21.1 ppg - 5.2 rbp - 2.4 apg on 50.6 2 PT FG% - 43.4% 3 PT FG - 74% FT% - 60% TS - 58.5% eFG%

TS% is 19th among guards this season
eFG% is 10th among guards this season
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#124 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:35 pm

Beasley is pretty much in the higher end of my expectations right now. If he keeps this up I think it's pretty good but still not good enough for him to get in insane offer which is good for us. I really like what he brings on offense, he is by far the best option we have had at the two for years. More consistent than the Lavine we had.

It helps a lot to have willing gunners.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#125 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:33 pm

Honestly, it's a different type of situation but something that might worry me is if he were to sign an offer sheet like the contract JJ Redick originally signed with Philly - 1 year, $23 million. Big appeal of restricted status is being able to match offers and keep him under team control, but that would practically be negated as the offer sheet would essentially function as an expensive qualifying offer.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#126 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:59 am

Klomp wrote:Honestly, it's a different type of situation but something that might worry me is if he were to sign an offer sheet like the contract JJ Redick originally signed with Philly - 1 year, $23 million. Big appeal of restricted status is being able to match offers and keep him under team control, but that would practically be negated as the offer sheet would essentially function as an expensive qualifying offer.
RFA can only sign an offer sheet with a minimum of 2 years of guaranteed money.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#127 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:05 am

TheDominator273 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Honestly, it's a different type of situation but something that might worry me is if he were to sign an offer sheet like the contract JJ Redick originally signed with Philly - 1 year, $23 million. Big appeal of restricted status is being able to match offers and keep him under team control, but that would practically be negated as the offer sheet would essentially function as an expensive qualifying offer.
RFA can only sign an offer sheet with a minimum of 2 years of guaranteed money.

Good catch, that makes me feel a little better
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#128 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:37 am

Sign him up longterm. He keeps that motor and stamina, and from what it sounds like he's always had it, he likely will never look like he's a bad contract. If you had to move him you could. That motor and a shot combined in one package is worth something good. I don't care if he's not "long" enough to switch onto 6-8 beast wings. It's hard to find real true shooting gards too.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#129 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:48 am

Jedzz wrote:Sign him up longterm. He keeps that motor and stamina, and from what it sounds like he's always had it, he likely will never look like he's a bad contract. If you had to move him you could. That motor and a shot combined in one package is worth something good. I don't care if he's not "long" enough to switch onto 6-8 beast wings. It's hard to find real true shooting gards too.

Fun thing about 6-8 beast wings, they may have trouble guarding Beasley. It’s true that his handle needs work, but he has been finishing at the rim. Size often costs speed, and Beasley could make life difficult for opposing defenses.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#130 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 5, 2020 6:47 am

The big positive is that he is 23. We have been in a position before when it comes to retaining a guy but usually they are in their late 20's or early 30's. Even if we sign him to a big deal, its very likely we can move him in the next 3 years if we have to. Unlike a guy like Kevin Martin, Sprewell, Ricky Davis, where we could be locking up a guy who could fall off a cliff at any moment. Beasley is still on the way up.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#131 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:11 am

Calinks wrote:The big positive is that he is 23. We have been in a position before when it comes to retaining a guy but usually they are in their late 20's or early 30's. Even if we sign him to a big deal, its very likely we can move him in the next 3 years if we have to. Unlike a guy like Kevin Martin, Sprewell, Ricky Davis, where we could be locking up a guy who could fall off a cliff at any moment. Beasley is still on the way up.
Lol good ol' Ricky _avis. Man those were some dark days to be a Wolves fan, we are losing a lot now but we have hope at least.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#132 » by minimus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#133 » by Rookie-Mistake » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:23 pm

As an NBA fan, having league pass and watching games almost every day, I had never seen much of Malik before he got traded to us so I couldn't see why we would get him..

He fits in so well, has the right attitude and competitiveness. He plays hard and doesn't sook up like KAT when calls go against him.

FT & 3pt% are healthy, doesn't need the ball in his hands to appease himself.

I hope he isn't fool's Gold in the sense that it's all great now when the motivation is at its highest to get a juicy contract and prove Denver wrong.

How much $$$ would he be demanding??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#134 » by Killboard » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:36 pm

winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Sign him up longterm. He keeps that motor and stamina, and from what it sounds like he's always had it, he likely will never look like he's a bad contract. If you had to move him you could. That motor and a shot combined in one package is worth something good. I don't care if he's not "long" enough to switch onto 6-8 beast wings. It's hard to find real true shooting gards too.

Fun thing about 6-8 beast wings, they may have trouble guarding Beasley. It’s true that his handle needs work, but he has been finishing at the rim. Size often costs speed, and Beasley could make life difficult for opposing defenses.

He is averaging under 40 FG% in drives at the rim. He has strenght but finishing contested layups isn't one of them.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#135 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:50 pm

Killboard wrote:
winforlose wrote:

He is averaging under 40 FG% in drives at the rim. He has strenght but finishing contested layups isn't one of them.

If he blows past then they aren’t super contested. Also, his game two nights ago shows he is capable. With some work I think he could develop a better finish, just like JO.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#136 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:50 pm

Killboard wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Where are you getting that information? He is currently shooting just under 68% inside of 3 ft per basketball reference. He definitely can improve his handle and finishing ability at the rim, but I'm not sure where you're getting your data.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/beaslma01.html
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#137 » by SCTwins » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:09 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:As an NBA fan, having league pass and watching games almost every day, I had never seen much of Malik before he got traded to us so I couldn't see why we would get him..

He fits in so well, has the right attitude and competitiveness. He plays hard and doesn't sook up like KAT when calls go against him.

FT & 3pt% are healthy, doesn't need the ball in his hands to appease himself.

I hope he isn't fool's Gold in the sense that it's all great now when the motivation is at its highest to get a juicy contract and prove Denver wrong.

How much $$$ would he be demanding??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app

I was also in the dark on Beasley. I knew he could shoot, but never thought of him as an elite scorer. He has also surprised on defense.

He brings such a different presence than Wiggins, and I can't wait to see these new guys play with KAT after an off-season together, assuming we keep Malik. I wonder though if we might be looking to use him in a package for another star. If so, he's showcasing himself very well right now for other teams.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#138 » by Killboard » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:19 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Killboard wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Where are you getting that information? He is currently shooting just under 68% inside of 3 ft per basketball reference. He definitely can improve his handle and finishing ability at the rim, but I'm not sure where you're getting your data.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/beaslma01.html

Here:
https://stats.nba.com/players/drives/?CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*beasley&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&DateFrom=02%2F06%2F2020

FG% inside 3 feet accounts all shots including those who aren't contested as transition. Drives in the other hand are in the half court and when the defense can contest the shot.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#139 » by Killboard » Thu Mar 5, 2020 9:26 pm

winforlose wrote:
Killboard wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If he blows past then they aren’t super contested. Also, his game two nights ago shows he is capable. With some work I think he could develop a better finish, just like JO.

In drives stats if he blows by a defender it still counts. Which does not count is transition or when he is assisted in the paint for example.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#140 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:39 pm

Delusional confidence. Ya love to see it!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves