ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas (Part III)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#1301 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:heres a couple summer trade ideas if they decide to part with Darius Garland now that Sexton is clearly capable of reaching a high ceiling as a pg.
post draft deal if Det misses out on upper tier pg prospects in draft:
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7290022
DG for Sekou and KT both really nice defenders with upside esp Sekou.
not even sure DG has done enough for Detroit to have any interest but they might given they need a pg

draft day deal:
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7290025
This one sends DG to Spurs who will make him earn it and maybe salvage his career
The cavs get a decent upside off guard in Johnson that fits better next to Sexton and take a flier or just waive lyles and get Spurs 2020 2nd that will be higher than usual spurs 2nds.
Now I am not suggesting they should trade him now, but if they decide to stop tanking he will be coming off the bench much of next season at the rate Sexton is going right now.
I dont know if they have any aspirations to try Garland off ball, but I can't see it working out.

I don't know if Detroit would do Garland for Sekou straight up, let alone adding in KT. I think they would be more prone to offering up their 1st round pick from this draft for Garland if they aren't enamored with the PG prospects in their range.

So say the Cavs pick in the top 2 and Detroit stays in the 6-8 range, Cavs draft Wiseman at #2 as BPA and fit, and the Cavs trade Garland for the #6-8 pick and draft Deni Avdija.

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Obviously expecting Drummond to opt-in.

Pistons 20-21 roster
Rose(till traded)/Garland
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

Plus whatever they get in FA with $70 million
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1302 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:52 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:heres a couple summer trade ideas if they decide to part with Darius Garland now that Sexton is clearly capable of reaching a high ceiling as a pg.
not even sure DG has done enough for Detroit to have any interest but they might given they need a pg

draft day deal:
This one sends DG to Spurs who will make him earn it and maybe salvage his career
The cavs get a decent upside off guard in Johnson that fits better next to Sexton and take a flier or just waive lyles and get Spurs 2020 2nd that will be higher than usual spurs 2nds.
Now I am not suggesting they should trade him now, but if they decide to stop tanking he will be coming off the bench much of next season at the rate Sexton is going right now.
I dont know if they have any aspirations to try Garland off ball, but I can't see it working out.

I don't know if Detroit would do Garland for Sekou straight up, let alone adding in KT. I think they would be more prone to offering up their 1st round pick from this draft for Garland if they aren't enamored with the PG prospects in their range.

So say the Cavs pick in the top 2 and Detroit stays in the 6-8 range, Cavs draft Wiseman at #2 as BPA and fit, and the Cavs trade Garland for the #6-8 pick and draft Deni Avdija.

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

I don't see DET moving their pick for him since it's likely at worse 12th. but sure if they did that could work provided there was somebody the Cavs wanted there,[ I don't see deny as that guy tbh esp if Stewart or Nesmith are there] but I highly doubt it would be enough for them to move DG without more value added.
I do think given it is a ball dominant guard lottery that DET could get a decent pg or combo guard in this class at 12 but might see DG's upside as worth the swap for Sekou esp. if a prospect they want more that isn't a pg falls to 12 or wherever the pick is.
Sekou is a couple years out before he becomes a higher usage player despite being already quite impressive at 3/d low usage.
I am not so sure DET is in complete rebuild either and might go the trade route to try to reboot this summer which would potentially back the idea of them trading the pick but also not wanting to wait on Sekou
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1303 » by Revenged25 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 12:16 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

draft day deal:

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

I don't see DET moving their pick for him since it's likely at worse 12th. but sure if they did that could work provided there was somebody the Cavs wanted there,[ I don't see deny as that guy tbh esp if Stewart or Nesmith are there] but I highly doubt it would be enough for them to move DG without more value added.
I do think given it is a ball dominant guard lottery that DET could get a decent pg or combo guard in this class at 12 but might see DG's upside as worth the swap for Sekou esp. if a prospect they want more that isn't a pg falls to 12 or wherever the pick is.
Sekou is a couple years out before he becomes a higher usage player despite being already quite impressive at 3/d low usage.
I am not so sure DET is in complete rebuild either and might go the trade route to try to reboot this summer which would potentially back the idea of them trading the pick but also not wanting to wait on Sekou

I would take Sekou's upside over everyone but maybe Ball, Edwards, and Wiseman in this draft. I feel about the same about Garland's upside vs the non-Edwards/Ball guards as well. I think we've had this debate quite a bit on Avdija before and I'm obviously much higher on him than you are. I think he's an ideal SF for this roster regardless of what they decide to do with the whole Garland/Sexton/KPJ experiment.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#1304 » by gflem » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

I would take Sekou's upside over everyone but maybe Ball, Edwards, and Wiseman in this draft. I feel about the same about Garland's upside vs the non-Edwards/Ball guards as well. I think we've had this debate quite a bit on Avdija before and I'm obviously much higher on him than you are. I think he's an ideal SF for this roster regardless of what they decide to do with the whole Garland/Sexton/KPJ experiment.

Does anyone do #2 for Sekou and #6 or wherever the Det pick falls?
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1305 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 am

gflem wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I don't see DET moving their pick for him since it's likely at worse 12th. but sure if they did that could work provided there was somebody the Cavs wanted there,[ I don't see deny as that guy tbh esp if Stewart or Nesmith are there] but I highly doubt it would be enough for them to move DG without more value added.

I would without thinking twice. Being able to get Sekou and then still get someone at #6 is a steal. I would do it even if their pick was in the teens since I don't think anyone outside of Wiseman would fit the future composition of the team without players being traded.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1306 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:56 am

Well Detroit clearly turned into a tank team with blake injury like clockwork and then after trading us Drummond for scraps and now probably are targeting Wiseman or Okongwu both also targets of CLE.
Dont see them giving us Sekou to move up a couple spots unless the draft order works against them and i doubt our front office is smart enough to get a deal for him done.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#1307 » by gflem » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I would without thinking twice. Being able to get Sekou and then still get someone at #6 is a steal. I would do it even if their pick was in the teens since I don't think anyone outside of Wiseman would fit the future composition of the team without players being traded.

That is my thinking as well, even if we had to add Garland (who I am not high on). The Knicks with their first pick, 27 and their early 2nd could be trade partners, though they are rebuilding as well. I would take Wiseman if he is available where we pick, but if we land the first or second and the team isn't sold on anyone there and thinks they can get better value by trading the pick so be it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1308 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 pm

gflem wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:Does anyone do #2 for Sekou and #6 or wherever the Det pick falls?

That is my thinking as well, even if we had to add Garland (who I am not high on). The Knicks with their first pick, 27 and their early 2nd could be trade partners, though they are rebuilding as well. I would take Wiseman if he is available where we pick, but if we land the first or second and the team isn't sold on anyone there and thinks they can get better value by trading the pick so be it.

imo
If there is a clear higher tier prospect on the board when they pick that isnt a guard they are not trading down
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1309 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:38 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7306975
simple swap CLE sends McKinie a win now player who Miami can keep or waive along with the HOU or SAN 22 2nd for the recovering from injury swingman Okpala the 32nd pick in 2019 draft with some starter upside that can defend the 2-4 spot when healthy.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#1310 » by jbk1234 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7306975
simple swap CLE sends McKinie a win now player who Miami can keep or waive along with the HOU or SAN 22 2nd for the recovering from injury swingman Okpala the 32nd pick in 2019 draft with some starter upside that can defend the 2-4 spot when healthy.
Heat seem pretty high on Okpala.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7306975
Heat seem pretty high on Okpala.

well I hope not ...
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#1312 » by chrbal » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:17 am

Revenged25 wrote:

draft day deal:

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

I realize I’m coming in late. Pistons aren’t trading sekou for garland. Pistons would most likely not trade him.

You can have kennard straight up for garland. Cavs need shooting
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1313 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:40 pm

chrbal wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

draft day deal:

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

I realize I’m coming in late. Pistons aren’t trading sekou for garland. Pistons would most likely not trade him.

yeah definitely very late to this conversation and given Detroits tank after the break, they will be drafting a pg most likely.
I made the trade idea before the season was cancelled with expectation they might be around 12th and would maybe not like the pg options...but being at 5th makes it an entirely different animal.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#1314 » by chrbal » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Stillwater wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Cavs 2020-21 roster:
Sexton/Exum
KPJ/Windler
Avdija/Osman
Love/Nance
Drummond/Wiseman

Pistons 20-21 roster
Kennard/Brown
Sekou
Griffin
Wood/Maker

yeah definitely very late to this conversation and given Detroits tank after the break, they will be drafting a pg most likely.
I made the trade idea before the season was cancelled with expectation they might be around 12th and would maybe not like the pg options...but being at 5th makes it an entirely different animal.

My bad. I still can’t imagine trading sekou

Just curious
Why did the Cavs initially draft Garland?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1315 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm

chrbal wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Just curious

We got jumped by the Hawks who selected Hunter. He was the guy we wanted and Garland was BPA.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#1316 » by chrbal » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:36 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah definitely very late to this conversation and given Detroits tank after the break, they will be drafting a pg most likely.

Just curious

We got jumped by the Hawks who selected Hunter. He was the guy we wanted and Garland was BPA.

Thanks
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1317 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah definitely very late to this conversation and given Detroits tank after the break, they will be drafting a pg most likely.

Just curious

yep too bad they dont know what a bpa actualy is ... no chance White wasnt the next guard on most boards even though Garland rode the internet mock train after a few games of college ball.
I still have hope for him being a 6th man type that doesnt play much defense but can fill it up or at minimum run a 2nd unit, but in the end my confidence in this org NOT picking another so called bpa that isnt , remains pretty high.
I would not be at all surprised if they see Ball as the best player in this draft which is a scary scenario for a team void of back court defense
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1318 » by jbk1234 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:21 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Just curious

yep too bad they dont know what a bpa actualy is ... no chance White wasnt the next guard on most boards even though Garland rode the internet mock train after a few games of college ball.
I still have hope for him being a 6th man type that doesnt play much defense but can fill it up or at minimum run a 2nd unit, but in the end my confidence in this org NOT picking another so called bpa that isnt , remains pretty high.
I would not be at all surprised if they see Ball as the best player in this draft which is a scary scenario for a team void of back court defense
I'm not high on White or Culver tbh. Those guys top out as average starting guards IMO and that's not who you should be drafting with a top 5 pick as a rebuilding team.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1319 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:51 am

What's the best package Cavs fans would offer for MPJ? This is best and final offer, not a negotiating position.

I think I'd go as high as Garland, Cedi, and No. 5. Or, and Stillwater you're going to want stop reading here, Sexton, Cedi and the Bucks 1st.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1320 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:51 am

jbk1234 wrote:What's the best package Cavs fans would offer for MPJ? This is best and final offer, not a negotiating position.

I think I'd go as high as Garland, Cedi, and No. 5. Or, and Stillwater you're going to want stop reading here, Sexton, Cedi and the Bucks 1st.

I mean in Denvers system with a dynamic scorer like Murray and the best passing center in basketball i think MPJ is getting a little overvalued here.
He has a nice skillset offensively but he has not been in the league long enough to prove reinjury is less of a concern than it has been reported to be. those micro tears in the lumbar spine can easily re herniate on pro athletes twisting and stretching for rebounds etc.
I honestly wouldnt trade Garland for him until we know what we have and I sure as F wouldnt trade anyone good

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers