mystery of nurk

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Re: mystery of nurk 

Post#41 » by AKBlazerFan » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:15 am

d-train wrote:
AKBlazerFan wrote:So is the general consensus that him and Collins are still a ways (Weeks) from returning, if they return at all this year?

Is that AK Alaska or AK-47?

Alaska
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#42 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:56 am

Portland is still 7 games under .500 with 19 games left to play. Depending on where they are towards
the end of the month, I'd be surprised if we saw Nurk this season if the team is out of contention.
Zach might be another matter for part of his rehab might require testing his shoulder in live games.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#43 » by d-train » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:27 am

It doesn't seem like there is enough games left for Blazers to make it. Then I read Pelicans are favored to get in. Pelicans have 1 more loss and 2 fewer wins than we have. I would put my money on the Grizzlies, but if the oddsmakers say Pelicans can do it, then Blazers can do it. I don't see Pelicans finishing ahead of Blazers, even if they have the tiebreaker.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#44 » by Matt800 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:47 am

AKBlazerFan wrote:So is the general consensus that him and Collins are still a ways (Weeks) from returning, if they return at all this year?

Yes, the reports on Nurkic suggest he might be back late March or early April, but if he has any more setbacks then he probably wont be back this season.

Collins was scheduled to be reevaluated in 4 months which was actually today. So we might hear a report soon if any info is released. Collins was also interviewed as saying he plans to be back this month. But his type of injury takes 4-6 months with 6 being more common so while Collins might want to play the team might hold him out to be careful.

We might get an update about Nurkic and Collins around march 9th or 14th because there will be practices around then.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#45 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:41 pm

Matt800 wrote:

Yes, the reports on Nurkic suggest he might be back late March or early April, but if he has any more setbacks then he probably wont be back this season.

Collins was scheduled to be reevaluated in 4 months which was actually today. So we might hear a report soon if any info is released. Collins was also interviewed as saying he plans to be back this month. But his type of injury takes 4-6 months with 6 being more common so while Collins might want to play the team might hold him out to be careful.

We might get an update about Nurkic and Collins around march 9th or 14th because there will be practices around then.

yeah, it's not certain either will play this season, but it's looking like at most, either will play more than a handful of games, like in the 6-10 range. There are only 19 games left in Portland's season

Paul George came back at the end of a season after suffering an injury like Nurk's. He played 6 games and he averaged 15 minutes; 9 points, 4 rebounds and 1 assist while shooting under 37% on FG's. He had twice as many turnovers as assists and played like boiled owl crap. I wouldn't count on Nurkic being anywhere close to normal if he does make it back

as for Collins, shoulder injuries seem to come in clusters. Joel Przybilla had something like 4 shoulder injuries over 3 years. Meyers Leonard had something like 3 or 4 over his first 3 or 4 seasons too. Big white shoulders are fragile apparently

Portland needs to be really cautious with both these guys and the fact that Nurkic got injured in his 1st full practice is pretty concerning. This season is not worth risking either player, IMO
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#46 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:13 pm

i assume he will play thirteen games (if everything is ok) and miss two games given it will be two b2b

Read on Twitter
Matt800
Rookie

Post#47 » by Matt800 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 9:57 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Matt800 wrote:

yeah, it's not certain either will play this season, but it's looking like at most, either will play more than a handful of games, like in the 6-10 range. There are only 19 games left in Portland's season

Paul George came back at the end of a season after suffering an injury like Nurk's. He played 6 games and he averaged 15 minutes; 9 points, 4 rebounds and 1 assist while shooting under 37% on FG's. He had twice as many turnovers as assists and played like boiled owl crap. I wouldn't count on Nurkic being anywhere close to normal if he does make it back

as for Collins, shoulder injuries seem to come in clusters. Joel Przybilla had something like 4 shoulder injuries over 3 years. Meyers Leonard had something like 3 or 4 over his first 3 or 4 seasons too. Big white shoulders are fragile apparently

Portland needs to be really cautious with both these guys and the fact that Nurkic got injured in his 1st full practice is pretty concerning. This season is not worth risking either player, IMO

Good news about Nurkic being back on the 15th. That puts him at where Jason Quick speculated as the earliest he would come back.

Didn’t Paul George come back several months faster than Nurkic? I also think part of it is George is dribbling and using quickness more than Nurkic. That sort of stuff takes more timing and game fitness. Nurkic might take time to be in rhythm and game fitness but I think he will be helpful right away.

I read dislocations and torn labrums like Zach had if untreated have a very high chance of redislocation and potentially furthering the tear. Like 90+% in that scenario but it is more like 5% after the treatment Zach had. But that it also generally is 5-6 months to be ready rather than 4 months. So if he comes back this month he either healed faster than most or is running more of a risk to be back early.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#48 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Mar 6, 2020 10:15 pm

Matt800 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Matt800 wrote:

Good news about Nurkic being back on the 15th. That puts him at where Jason Quick speculated as the earliest he would come back.

Didn’t Paul George come back several months faster than Nurkic? I also think part of it is George is dribbling and using quickness more than Nurkic. That sort of stuff takes more timing and game fitness. Nurkic might take time to be in rhythm and game fitness but I think he will be helpful right away.

I read dislocations and torn labrums like Zach had if untreated have a very high chance of redislocation and potentially furthering the tear. Like 90+% in that scenario but it is more like 5% after the treatment Zach had. But that it also generally is 5-6 months to be ready rather than 4 months. So if he comes back this month he either healed faster than most or is running more of a risk to be back early.

I've been under the impression that 4 months is fine for range of motion and strength recovery. The problem is being effective after essentially not using that arm for months. Collins is only 22 so quick healing isn't out of the question either. I mean, obviously Zach has pretty much full range of motion at this point, he's out there shooting jump shots and going through warmups before games. Just have to wait and see with him. Hopefully he can make it back for a few games though.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#49 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:01 am

Read on Twitter

maybe Nurkic got a little to far out ahead of things. Target dates aren't certain
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#50 » by Pattycakes » Sat Mar 7, 2020 9:42 am

Y’all need to chill chill on the anxiety - this season has been a complete wash so far and rushing back the most important X factor to our roster defies every component of logic. This team without Nurk isn’t even in the playoff race. Watch the interviews from the man himself, workouts, dude will be just fine.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#51 » by whatchaknow » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:42 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Y’all need to chill chill on the anxiety - this season has been a complete wash so far and rushing back the most important X factor to our roster defies every component of logic. This team without Nurk isn’t even in the playoff race. Watch the interviews from the man himself, workouts, dude will be just fine.

I’d at least like to see him get some burn this year. At least see him out there get it out of the way and hopefully have a clean slate for next year. Be a good thing to see what his movements are like, stats are gonna be irrelevant because there will be a ton of rust but just him getting out there would be a big step
d-train
RealGM

Post#52 » by d-train » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:03 pm

whatchaknow wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Y’all need to chill chill on the anxiety - this season has been a complete wash so far and rushing back the most important X factor to our roster defies every component of logic. This team without Nurk isn’t even in the playoff race. Watch the interviews from the man himself, workouts, dude will be just fine.

Be a good thing to see what his movements are like...

I'll pass
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#53 » by whatchaknow » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:25 pm

d-train wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:

Be a good thing to see what his movements are like...

I'll pass

Better than going into next year with no clue what to expect from him. He’s getting paid to play basketball if he’s healthy let him play
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#54 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:24 pm

I love that some seem to claim that every player is rushed back no matter what. Nurkic could be on the sidelines for 3 straight years and then have a return date in the year 2022 and still we would see "rushing him back" from someone. I think they have been very cautious with his return and have given him plenty of time to recover.

Not to mention that methods to fix these types of problems get better over time as doctors and scientists develop new ways to treat them meaning that timelines get shorter as the years pass.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#55 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
d-train
RealGM

Post#56 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:05 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This sounds like the Blazers don't want him to play but Nurkic wants to play and is pushing the team to allow him to play.
d-train
RealGM

Post#57 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:09 pm

Does anyone know how Hood is progressing? It would be great if he can return next year. I have been assuming that he is a dead $6M on next years salary.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#58 » by Matt800 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:25 pm

d-train wrote:Does anyone know how Hood is progressing? It would be great if he can return next year. I have been assuming that he is a dead $6M on next years salary.

There's video of hood practicing today. I saw him doing dribbling drills.

Nurkic has a video out as well where he is interviewed at practice. He said the g league practice is the last check point he his agent and team agreed on because it should be closer to a game. He said he practiced today but Portland doesn't have enough guys able to practice to give something close enough to game play.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#59 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:41 pm

ive been watching videos of him practicing, he looks great and improved

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
d-train
RealGM

Post#60 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:10 pm

Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:Does anyone know how Hood is progressing? It would be great if he can return next year. I have been assuming that he is a dead $6M on next years salary.

There's video of hood practicing today. I saw him doing dribbling drills.

Nurkic has a video out as well where he is interviewed at practice. He said the g league practice is the last check point he his agent and team agreed on because it should be closer to a game. He said he practiced today but Portland doesn't have enough guys able to practice to give something close enough to game play.

I get the impression the management is like some fans here and would rather have lottery balls. The players want to play and win.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers