ImageImage

GT charlotte vs houston 5PM EST

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Re: GT charlotte vs houston 5PM EST 

Post#21 » by Snidely FC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:19 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Congratulations to James Harden on his quadruple double counting 10+ turnovers. Stat padder will definitely want it to count as a quadruple double

yeah I know we want a good draft pick but taking down Harden and his brand of ball feels good
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#22 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:21 am

Feel bad for fans who checked out and stopped watching this season. This has been way more enjoyable than the last 2 years
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#23 » by DY_nasty » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:24 am

to think, monk and bacon both end up missing and our second round pick and his twin brother jump right in
Liver_Pooty wrote:Feel bad for fans who checked out and stopped watching this season. This has been way more enjoyable than the last 2 years

seriously. most fun i've had in a while
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#24 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:34 am

I think our little rebuild might be quicker than a lot of people thought.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#25 » by DY_nasty » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:35 am

i definitely do not and hope that talk stays to whispers lmao
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#26 » by Diop » Sun Mar 8, 2020 2:06 am

Tanking or not, it’s always good to get a win from one of the big teams
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#27 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 8, 2020 2:52 am

Snidely FC wrote:that's Kobi Simmons in pink on the Hornets bench hopefully about to get some run with the big team

Thanks Snidely!! I’d been racking my brain trying to figure out who that was!!

When they spotted us 20pts at the start of the game I was worried we were going to squander it.

Happy to get the win.

Houston is nuts going with that mega small line up. D’antoni, with his SSOL and mega small line up concepts is trying to be TOO revolutionary IMO. it’s why his teams, while loaded with talent, will always come up short of being as good as they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#28 » by HornetJail » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:14 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Feel bad for fans who checked out and stopped watching this season. This has been way more enjoyable than the last 2 years

I nearly did. The Pacers game where we got our asses handed to us, followed by the Monk suspension news had me down. I skipped out on the Toronto game till I checked out the box score and found us leading with like a minute left. Since them I'm back in, I love the way the young dudes are playing.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#29 » by UNCNYC » Sun Mar 8, 2020 5:21 am

Winning when you could be tanking feels like getting the girl of your dreams when you are 100 and she is 99 years old.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#30 » by CuseMayne » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:43 am

Going to be hard to justify valuing Monk over the Martin twins. They're just so much more well-rounded, team basketball players. I think the biggest difference is that they are able to switch on defense and play focused ball whenever they're out there. Really cool that we were able to pick them both up this year.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#31 » by bravor » Sun Mar 8, 2020 12:31 pm

Jonathan Simmons (etc) are out of the league, just saying. Before considering all the 2nd rounders are keepers and game changing players, you might have to consider monitoring them on more than 20ish games (at least for Cody Martin's brother).
I always said that having reliable role players was a major advantage and it would have helped in a recent past, but many here forget that this team is still missing a truly reliable leader. Everyone will probably agree that the glaring need is two leaders one in the middle and one as the primary scoring option at the wing (pref. a sg).
Those 2nd rounders have low salaries so if you look at the whole picture, it does not help to move the needle for the team since they basically can't bring anything good through trade (unless its a package with Cody/Rozier). Otoh, it surely helps them to get a new nice contract with the Hornets or elsewhere (knowing many are just locked for 2 seasons).
Not saying the Hornets are working for other franchise/Gm's (yet) but it is stupid not to fully tank. Having the choice is generally the best way to get to the next step. I just hope that it will be the case for the next seasons otherwise Hornets will definitely deserve to be trash talked all the time.

There are wins that would have been cool during the kemba days, but winning now against those teams won't change what has happened in the past and won't help at all in the next future.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#32 » by Diop » Sun Mar 8, 2020 1:09 pm

CuseMayne wrote:Going to be hard to justify valuing Monk over the Martin twins. They're just so much more well-rounded, team basketball players. I think the biggest difference is that they are able to switch on defense and play focused ball whenever they're out there. Really cool that we were able to pick them both up this year.

you could play the 3 together though
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#33 » by JDuaneWayne » Sun Mar 8, 2020 1:21 pm

bravor wrote:There are wins that would have been cool during the kemba days, but winning now against those teams won't change what has happened in the past and won't help at all in the next future.

Maybe not if this draft had a Zion or LeBron. You expect grown men who have competed all their lives to go out and purposefully lose games?

Furthermore nobody is playing so well that they’re going to break the bank on a 2nd contract.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#34 » by Hornet Mania » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:22 pm

I don't understand the doom and gloom at all.

-Graham, Washington, both Martins, and McDaniels are all playing much much better than anyone could possibly have hoped for in October.
-Rozier is living up to his contract.
-Miles is also looking a lot better than earlier in the year (I understand if you don't want to count him since many expected better)
-JB and the staff's player development has actually resulted in noticeable improvement from our young guys between the beginning and end of the year two consecutive seasons.

Basically the only guy on the team who hasn't met or exceeded expectations is Bacon. These are all great signs that the team is drafting and training better than it has at any point since an NBA franchise was reestablished in Charlotte.

I get a lot of people were hoping for the number one pick, but I really can't be too sad about the fact that it seems like all our rooks and 2nd year guys are potentially quality players in the league. If the young guys all piss their pants over the next month I'll shift back to pessimism, but until then I'm absolutely thrilled by what I've seen. Great job Mitch and JB, we're operating like a competent small-market franchise for the first time since Bob Bass and Paul Silas were in charge.

UNCNY went a bit overboard after the Denver game when he said by next year we could be on Miami/Toronto's level, but in terms of developing 2nd rounders and undrafted free agents I think he's onto something. The Mitch/JB regime does seem to be on a comparable trajectory. Just need to see it continue.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#35 » by bravor » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:09 pm

Nobody's (sane) can deny that the development has been good. But for my part, i strongly question the fact that the Hornets will benefit from it in the middle term. Unless the purpose is to build up a barely play off team in the East, something i would have a hard time to understand considering what i have read over the years on several topics.

Its not because this draft is poor in top of the notch talent that you have to give up a potential asset. It's easier to miss when you draft around 10position than if you draft among the top 3, sorry to repeat the obvious. And you can chose who you pick.
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#36 » by geraldwallace » Sun Mar 8, 2020 4:16 pm

bravor wrote:There are wins that would have been cool during the kemba days, but winning now against those teams won't change what has happened in the past and won't help at all in the next future.

Complaining about wins this year makes zero sense to me

We only played one player above the age of 26 in this game.

Our average rotation player is 23 years old

We're currently leading the NBA in playing the most first and second-year players in our rotation.

If we win it’s because our young players are growing and developing which is the whole reason of a tank. To develop young players to become future winners.

What are we supposed to do? Cut our current young players for worse young players in hopes they develop into young players as good as our current crop of young players?
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#37 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:53 pm

Winners win. I want winners on this team.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#38 » by euphorbus » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:16 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Winners win. I want winners on this team.

Conversely, losers lose. Does anyone really think Philadelphia is going to win an NBA championship this year or next? Currently, they are in sixth place in an Eastern Conference that is even weaker than usual.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#39 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:02 am

Magic are up 25 on Hou with Westbrook playing, so thinking it's more a Hou problem.
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#40 » by Lwcasu » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:47 am

UNCNYC wrote:Winning when you could be tanking feels like getting the girl of your dreams when you are 100 and she is 99 years old.

Winning when you could be tanking feels a little different to me. You may be 100 and she may be 99, but you got five on the side who are all 20. That’s still winning.

Return to Charlotte Hornets