ImageImageImage

Coach who can take us to the playoffs next year.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Coach who can take us to the playoffs next year. 

Post#1 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:01 pm

Should we hire a new coach in the summer? I like the connection Kenny AtKinson had with Dlo back on the Nets. He was really tough on Dlo. But I think that's why Dlo was having a MIP season cuz he was pushed to become better. I think now he's playing too lenient. He's getting careless handling the ball, taking unnecessary long 3s. Just bad shot selection overall.
Tyron Lue runs a guard oriented system too. And maybe Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson are good candidates too. Ryan Saunders seem like a nice player's coach. But I dont feel like he can take us over the hump.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: Coach who can take us to the playoffs next year. 

Post#2 » by minimus » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:04 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:Should we hire a new coach in the summer? I like the connection Kenny AtKinson had with Dlo back on the Nets. He was really tough on Dlo. But I think that's why Dlo was having a MIP season cuz he was pushed to become better. I think now he's playing too lenient. He's getting careless handling the ball, taking unnecessary long 3s. Just bad shot selection overall.
Tyron Lue runs a guard oriented system too. And maybe Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson are good candidates too. Ryan Saunders seem like a nice player's coach. But I dont feel like he can take us over the hump.

Please God, no Lue, JVG or Mark Jackson. I'd rather let Ryan learn and take us to playoff.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#3 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:30 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:Should we hire a new coach in the summer? I like the connection Kenny AtKinson had with Dlo back on the Nets. He was really tough on Dlo. But I think that's why Dlo was having a MIP season cuz he was pushed to become better. I think now he's playing too lenient. He's getting careless handling the ball, taking unnecessary long 3s. Just bad shot selection overall.

Are you ditching the New York scenes now that Atkinson has left, BK1? I ask noting your username and team icons, however you sound firmly in the We and Us side of things here already. Three cheers and all. The more the merrier.

Ryan has been captain of this low slung ship for a couple partial seasons and these flipping rosters for both. So I wouldn't condemn him for results so far. However he still annoys me to no end with some old school typical Wolves decisions so, I'll likely complain if it's him or if it's someone new I'm sure.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#4 » by mandurugo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 am

I wouldn't mind if they replaced Saunders with Kenny Atkinson, but I'm pretty sure the wolves aren't making the play-offs next year whomever is the coach.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#5 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:33 am

mandurugo wrote:I wouldn't mind if they replaced Saunders with Kenny Atkinson, but I'm pretty sure the wolves aren't making the play-offs next year whomever is the coach.

I"m not too high on KA neither...but i heard the wolves announcers say he runs the same system as the wolves, so it wouldn't be a hard translation to KA as new coach for the players. But he arguably has a better roster this yr but worse record than last yr. Despite all the injuries they had. If the Nets are in the West, they wouldn't be in the playoffs. If wolves draft Obi Toppin, they'll have a great chance to make the playoffs. Toppin looks NBA ready. Will be a great fit on this team.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#6 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 am

Jedzz wrote:

Are you ditching the New York scenes now that Atkinson has left, BK1? I ask noting your username and team icons, however you sound firmly in the We and Us side of things here already. Three cheers and all. The more the merrier.

Ryan has been captain of this low slung ship for a couple partial seasons and these flipping rosters for both. So I wouldn't condemn him for results so far. However he still annoys me to no end with some old school typical Wolves decisions so, I'll likely complain if it's him or if it's someone new I'm sure.

I ditched Brooklyn when they traded Dlo to the Warriors. Maybe give Ryan another yr with a healthy roster and hopefully top 3 pick next yr. They gotta be atleast contending to make the playoffs and not have a bottom worst record.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#7 » by King Malta » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:24 am

I'd rather see what Ryan can do with a stable roster (which hopefully includes a few additions) for at least half a season before replacing him.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Post#8 » by MN7725 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 am

Wanted Joeger post-Thibs, haven't changed that view, don't know of any connection with Wolves FO so that's likely no longer a consideration
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 am

IceManBK1 wrote:I ditched Brooklyn when they traded Dlo to the Warriors. Maybe give Ryan another yr with a healthy roster and hopefully top 3 pick next yr. They gotta be atleast contending to make the playoffs and not have a bottom worst record.

Was it apparent at the time of Dlo to Warriors whether Atkinson cared he was going? He was about to be FA right? Were they ever entertaining paying him to stay?
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#10 » by IceManBK1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:55 am

Jedzz wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:I ditched Brooklyn when they traded Dlo to the Warriors. Maybe give Ryan another yr with a healthy roster and hopefully top 3 pick next yr. They gotta be atleast contending to make the playoffs and not have a bottom worst record.

Was it apparent at the time of Dlo to Warriors whether Atkinson cared he was going? He was about to be FA right? Were they ever entertaining paying him to stay?

Dlo was RFA...Nets could've matched whatever other teams off him. But they chose to sign irving cuz durant would tag along to the Nets with him. I think KA developed a special bond and trust with dlo. They certainly respected each other. But KA isn't exactly a winning coach.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#11 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Yo Iceman....Who is US?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#12 » by Dewey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Yikes ... get your scapegoats here ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,971

Post#13 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:47 pm

i find this a tough one.
i loved the Ryan hire at the time (funny that we'll probably never call him by his last name like we would any other coach), because it's easy to imagine a new young coach being an exciting innovator (Brad Stevens, Nick Nurse, Eric Spolestra), and there were Spo vibes in that he was brought up through our organization (too bad our organization is nothing like the Heat... so this is probably not a good thing). I also chose at the time to ignore the franchise nepotism and frame it as the Wolves being a family, with Ryan as a homegrown talent.

The start of the season was super promising. He clearly was pushing the right buttons with Wiggins (right mix of creative freedom and set restrictions), and the defense was encouraging enough that we hoped Towns was turning a corner. The entirety of the rest of the season has been a tire fire. All the young wings that looked promising, do not look promising anymore. Ryan didn't show us anything good. But he also dealt with ridiculous destabilizing factors all season long: Towns injury, transformative trades.

It would be an ugly admission for the new FO to fire him so quickly after putting such faith in him. It would be a laughingstock move. I think we have to give Ryan a fresh training camp and full season to build a system around DLo and Towns (and Beasley!). The defense is going to be hella challenging. But if we fire him now, we're starting down the path of doing a Knicks coaching carousel. I think Atkinson has looked better, but he got 2 seasons of winning 20 games before the Nets became a plucky young franchise. Unless the FO thinks Ryan is just a horrible coach, they have to give him another season at least.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#14 » by Norseman79 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Before we crush Saunders, let me ask all of you this...how many more wins does any coach realistically have with this roster, including all of the injuries we have dealt with. Don't forget the coaching staff that Saunders has, this isn't all on him. I am not thrilled with the hire, but let's just give him a chance with a healthy team, a properly assembled roster, and an offseason to bring people together.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Before we crush Saunders, let me ask all of you this...how many more wins does any coach realistically have with this roster, including all of the injuries we have dealt with. Don't forget the coaching staff that Saunders has, this isn't all on him. I am not thrilled with the hire, but let's just give him a chance with a healthy team, a properly assembled roster, and an offseason to bring people together.

This is what I think too. I also would be nice to keep a team together for at least ONE whole season. KAT has had several coaches, and teammates are changing every week it seems, and even though its a business, has to be hard to get close to someone just to see them shipped out.
I think a few new changes could get this squad turned around again. Again? Well you know what I mean.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,516

Post#16 » by WolfAddict » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 pm

Injuries and trades aside, my opinion is based on some of his 'in-game' decisions. His bench use and play calling hasn't been good by any stretch. If he can learn to read the game, as it is played, a little better, he COULD be a good coach.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#17 » by Dewey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 pm

WolfAddict wrote:Injuries and trades aside, my opinion is based on some of his 'in-game' decisions. His bench use and play calling hasn't been good by any stretch. If he can learn to read the game, as it is played, a little better, he COULD be a good coach.

Agree ... coaches are no different than players when it comes to learning and developing. He has had his challenges, but so did the veteran thibs ... Saunders will be the first to tell you he needs to be better.

Like it or not this team is still in the “kick the can up the road mode” until we add a couple pieces. There were some real big swings in how players performed since the trades ... Hernangomez, Beasley, and DLo have had ups and downs but have been ok overall, and until players play together a year or two, you just don’t know where they will settle in at. I think DLo can help lead the squad, but we sorely need more team toughness and Saunders needs to hold players accountable for being smart and gritty.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#18 » by packforfreedom » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:Yo Iceman....Who is US?

unnecessary
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:42 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Yo Iceman....Who is US?

unnecessary

Says who? You? Duh-ok.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#20 » by shrink » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 pm

To me, there is only one thing that gets a coach fired: They lose the locker room.

This can happen through normal relationship changes, often aggravated by losses, or a failure to achieve team goals. I think the front office still likes him, and despite ill-fitting pieces right up until the trade deadline, Ryan has been willing to stick with Rosas’ plan, even if extra losses hurt his chances of keeping his job. But the players are what’s important, so let me ask this:

Do you think Ryan has lost the locker room? Do the players still respect him and play hard for him?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves