Who would you have as head coach?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Re: Who would you have as head coach? 

Post#81 » by jbent87 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm

sixers4real wrote:Bring back Sam and let him decide

sounds ridiculous but it's not as it illustrates the main issue. Whoever is brought in here is still not going to be able to make that much of a drastic impact as we would like, so long as this FO By Committee remains in place.

Way too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to basketball decisions around here and none of them know ****.
Haset603
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#82 » by Haset603 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Simple answer. Jay Wright
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#83 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:06 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
rulebook wrote:Is there any reason—even if it be a scrap of innuendo or a rumor you heard—to believe that Wright or Self are interested in moving to the NBA? Because all of this sounds a litter fever-dreamy.

rumors were flying a couple months ago that Self was the Spur's choice to replace Pop after the season. (he certainly did a swell job developing and deploying Embiid in college.) Wright has been an obvious subject of speculation for years. He could stay as a beloved fixture at Villanova indefinitely. the Show would be a gamble, but athletics is all about competition, and even a disappointed run wouldn't leave him with empty pockets.

I'm not in Philly, so I guess I have not idea why people think Jay Wright would take the job.

Maybe alot of money, or a new challenge, but has he even given any thoughts on the subject. Someone who might know more than me about it, why would he even possibly do it.

He's 58, if I'm him....I stay at Villanova and let the Sixers Titanic sink without being involved. As a Sixer fan, I would love it, but for him unless he's a Sixer fan himself....why?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#84 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
rulebook wrote:Is there any reason—even if it be a scrap of innuendo or a rumor you heard—to believe that Wright or Self are interested in moving to the NBA? Because all of this sounds a litter fever-dreamy.

rumors were flying a couple months ago that Self was the Spur's choice to replace Pop after the season. (he certainly did a swell job developing and deploying Embiid in college.) Wright has been an obvious subject of speculation for years. He could stay as a beloved fixture at Villanova indefinitely. the Show would be a gamble, but athletics is all about competition, and even a disappointed run wouldn't leave him with empty pockets.

I'm not in Philly, so I guess I have not idea why people think Jay Wright would take the job.

Maybe alot of money, or a new challenge, but has he even given any thoughts on the subject. Someone who might know more than me about it, why would he even possibly do it.

He's 58, if I'm him....I stay at Villanova and let the Sixers Titanic sink without being involved. As a Sixer fan, I would love it, but for him unless he's a Sixer fan himself....why?

There were rumors earlier in February that "insiders" (take that for what it's worth) thought he'd only leave for the NBA if the Sixers offered. He has also said in the past that the NBA intrigues him but he's comfortable at Villanova. So Jay hasn't outright come out and said he's interested in the Sixers, and it's unrealistic to expect that from any coach that's currently employed, but some tealeaves suggest there could be mutual interest. He wouldn't have to uproot his family, he'd likely make more money than most of the coaches in the NBA, and he'd likely have quite a bit of power from a personnel perspective to yank him from Villanova. And he wouldn't be walking into a dumpster fire situation like in NY where he has to completely rebuild.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#85 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

There were rumors earlier in February that "insiders" (take that for what it's worth) thought he'd only leave for the NBA if the Sixers offered. He has also said in the past that the NBA intrigues him but he's comfortable at Villanova. So Jay hasn't outright come out and said he's interested in the Sixers, and it's unrealistic to expect that from any coach that's currently employed, but some tealeaves suggest there could be mutual interest. He wouldn't have to uproot his family, he'd likely make more money than most of the coaches in the NBA, and he'd likely have quite a bit of power from a personnel perspective to yank him from Villanova. And he wouldn't be walking into a dumpster fire situation like in NY where he has to completely rebuild.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I've been very curious about this for a while, especially since he gets mentioned alot.

It would be a no brainer, I just hope they would talk to him first beforehand instead of making us look like Lebron idiots again.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#86 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm

The cuts I read from Jimmy's guest spot on JJ's podcast doesn't reflect well at all on Brett or the organization.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#87 » by Kobblehead » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Jay Wright has strong ties to Jerry Colangelo, stemming from Team USA basketball stuff. Given that the Colangelo Group are still running the Sixers, it's a natural match. And a match that would actually line up as a homerun hire for us as fans because Jay is the next Steve Kerr.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#88 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:06 am

Could be a crazy situation if the playoffs go deep into the summer. Jay Wright is on team USA, so he'd have to be in discussions right now (now that the NCAA season is officially cancelled) with the owners. This offseason is going to be insane.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#89 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:35 pm

To me, the worst part of the stoppage and potential season cancellation from a Sixers perspective would be the pass that it will likely give Brown and Brand, who can use all the injuries as justification to run it back. They can use the short amount of time the team was at full strength and on the court together to sell Harris on giving it another season.

This would be an utter disaster, likely resulting in Brown being canned mid season instead of before the season when a proper replacement could be found, and will put off necessary roster changes. I can't see any positives in this, which is pretty much the worst case scenario.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#90 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:24 pm

If the season was completely cancelled, we’d finish as the 6th seed. That alone should still get Brett fired. There’s no excuse for us to be where we are in the standings.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#91 » by mjkvol » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:If the season was completely cancelled, we’d finish as the 6th seed. That alone should still get Brett fired. There’s no excuse for us to be where we are in the standings.

It should, but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't. My feeling is a shortened or cancelled season gives Brown and Brand a reprieve. Hope I'm wrong.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#92 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:11 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:If the season was completely cancelled, we’d finish as the 6th seed. That alone should still get Brett fired. There’s no excuse for us to be where we are in the standings.

It should, but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't. My feeling is a shortened or cancelled season gives Brown and Brand a reprieve. Hope I'm wrong.

Browns future was always about the playoffs..so the season being shorter changes nothing imo.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers