ImageImageImage

COVID -19 WARNINGS

Moderator: ijspeelman

will you isolate for most part a few weeks until more details emerge?

yes
40%
no
20%
can't
10%
already did it
30%
if it's here I already got it anyway probably so no
No votes

Total votes: 10

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

COVID -19 WARNINGS 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:34 am

3 reported tested positive in Cuyahoga , no mention if that was from public health network facilities that have to report testing and results or if the test was from a Hospital or other private lab that elected to inform the public.
There are a lot of shady rules to what is and isn't being communicated about this new Virus.
Of the 1 million test kits that have been sent out this week only the early 75000 tests are being conducted at the 80 or so public health labs in the USA. And only those lab tests "have to" report the results back to the CDC. SO of course the Secretary of Health and Human Services would not give a actual answer to how many people are infected or even how many have been tested using that as an excuse ...that he doesn't know how many from the 900k tests not done at public health testing facilites blah blah blah.
They know damn well and are continuing this bs stop the panic in the streets game despite S&P 500 index drops 7%, triggering halt. Stocks plunged 7% on Wall Street on Monday, triggering a trading halt for 15 minutes. The steep drop followed similar falls in Europe after a fight among major crude-producing countries jolted investors already on edge about the widening fallout from the outbreak of the new coronavirus.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: COVID -19 WARNINGS 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm going to leave this thread open for now but I won't hesitate to lock it quickly if people aren't responsible with their statements.

I'm going to set a few ground rules for posting in it.

(1) Provide links to sources if you're making a factual claim - especially if it relates to NE OH (Facebook memes don't count as evidence). Here's support for Stillwater's statement. https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-cuyahoga-county-3-people-test-positive-for-virus/

(2) Be respectful of one another.

(3) Please keep in mind that almost everyone has an elderly relative who is at risk and think about how what you're saying might be received within that context.

I'm on the fence about taking the poll down. Please DM me if you have an issue with it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:47 pm

I started this thread to see how serious people in general were taking this but since it's already out and hitting home worse than people in general seem to want to accept with even at modest projections our Healthcare system is going to be overloaded trying to treat people with no vaccine available, I fear it is going to be around for a long time.
It is a bit frustrating for me personally given I am actively involved in the lives of many elderly and special needs individuals and it requires me to be much more careful always let alone now.So I have a deeper frustration than most I guess towards complacency and inaction but more than anything else blatant disregard to COVID-19 as being worth their concern as a healthy individual.
Here is a basic link to the CDC with guidelines for avoiding contracting the Virus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html
Here is an interesting story about the root problem with it's spreading from a communist run country.
https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/other/covid-19-china-tries-to-contain-outbreak-of-freedom-of-speech-closing-critics-e2-80-99-wechat-accounts/ar-BB10s7Eu
If anyone needs more ohio information that is reliable try this :https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/
but just remember that the CDC only reports public testing information and only 75k of the million + kits sent out or being utilized so far are at public run facilities. So that means there is a chance that a lot more privately tested people who have it is not being reported
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm

What exactly do mean by "isolate" ... are you talking self-quarantine? No contact with anyone outside your home?

I find the information coming out severely lacking ... like even if you were going to take drastic action like that, what about packages and mail you receive? Do you need to wash your hands after handling it? Should you run it under a UV light? Or is it just not a concern because the virus can't survive more than xxx hours without a host? And what is xxx?

And some of the information seems cross-purpose, like it seems part of the reason there are suddenly so many articles discouraging people from buying masks is to make sure there's enough in the supply chain for health professionals rather than going over the pros and cons of the different types of masks.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#5 » by gflem » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 pm

So, the crude oil price war and subsequent quick decline of a price of a barrel of oil had no effect on the stock market drop? Blaming the stock market decline on covid-19 and not even mentioning the crude oil issue is a bit disingenuous, no?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 pm

gflem wrote:So, the crude oil price war and subsequent quick decline of a price of a barrel of oil had no effect on the stock market drop? Blaming the stock market decline on covid-19 and not even mentioning the crude oil issue is a bit disingenuous, no?

Do we actually have more business that are hurt by a drop in oil prices than benefit these days?!?!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:13 am

gflem wrote:So, the crude oil price war and subsequent quick decline of a price of a barrel of oil had no effect on the stock market drop? Blaming the stock market decline on covid-19 and not even mentioning the crude oil issue is a bit disingenuous, no?

Yes I am fully aware the Saudis cut prices to screw over Russia and if you read my first post in it's entirety you would see that.smh... it definitely impacted the market, but you are ignoring the covid-19 was the obvious driver for Dow not rallying and finishing at it's lowest since 2008 after having it's worst drop in history. Regardless of that it came back up today which is great... Still does not change the facts that the CDC will not be reporting to the public all private sector data on this virus only elective amounts and the numbers they post are miniscule so far compared to the amount of people likely carrying it unknown untested etc.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 am

JonFromVA wrote:What exactly do mean by "isolate" ... are you talking self-quarantine? No contact with anyone outside your home?

I find the information coming out severely lacking ... like even if you were going to take drastic action like that, what about packages and mail you receive? Do you need to wash your hands after handling it? Should you run it under a UV light? Or is it just not a concern because the virus can't survive more than xxx hours without a host? And what is xxx?

And some of the information seems cross-purpose, like it seems part of the reason there are suddenly so many articles discouraging people from buying masks is to make sure there's enough in the supply chain for health professionals rather than going over the pros and cons of the different types of masks.

I've cancelled all appointments and taken a sabbatical. My family and I are completely isolated for the next week until real data is available.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:48 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:What exactly do mean by "isolate" ... are you talking self-quarantine? No contact with anyone outside your home?

I've cancelled all appointments and taken a sabbatical. My family and I are completely isolated for the next week until real data is available.

Going to open your mail? Receive packages?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:17 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Going to open your mail? Receive packages?

Sure I mean gloves and sanitizer sheets kill any potential spores on the surface.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:31 pm

This is getting even worse than the high projections were expecting...
"As of Wednesday, there are over 121,000 cases and over 4,370 deaths in at least 114 countries and territories worldwide."
that over 3.6% kill rate so far.
see full article here:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/covid-19-is-a-pandemic-who-declares/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:53 am

League just cancelled the remainder of the season WOW ...https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/11/nba-suspends-season-after-tonights-games/
Gobert tested positive others likely to follow.
pretty sure cavs will be locked into that 2nd spot now for draft purposes...at least there is that
https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/11/nba-suspend-season-following-wednesdays-games?collection=news
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:01 am

The season is suspended. In theory it could resume after everyone is cleared or well but without fans. The focus is quickly shifting to slowing the spread, not stopping it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 pm

As with most businesses they try to recommend proactive behavior for any health and hygiene advice but like most employees they just blow it off because the advice is nothing new.
Unfortunately with most industry they just have to wait untill it hits home before they can justify shutting it down.
No surprise the guy making a mockery of it at a presser is the first reported NBA player tested positive. I wonder how many actually had even been tested up until yesterday.
The only chance they resume the season without fans is if nobody else in the league tests positive in next few days but that seems unlikely given one of the refs has it too.
Probably be watching playoffs in Sept. If get it under control by then.
There is some optimistic still that it might only kill the elderly which is a sad view but I for one think it's mostly the elderly being tested as priority so the actual number of younger deaths associated with this will become much worse as the virus grows and refreshes and mutates. I hope I am wrong, but I have been right so far with the exception of not seeing it spread so fast thinking more people would pay attention rather than ignore it.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:As with most businesses they try to recommend proactive behavior for any health and hygiene advice but like most employees they just blow it off because the advice is nothing new.
Unfortunately with most industry they just have to wait untill it hits home before they can justify shutting it down.
No surprise the guy making a mockery of it at a presser is the first reported NBA player tested positive. I wonder how many actually had even been tested up until yesterday.
The only chance they resume the season without fans is if nobody else in the league tests positive in next few days but that seems unlikely given one of the refs has it too.
There is some optimistic still that it might only kill the elderly which is a sad view but I for one think it's mostly the elderly being tested as priority so the actual number of younger deaths associated with this will become much worse as the virus grows and refreshes and mutates. I hope I am wrong, but I have been right so far with the exception of not seeing it spread so fast thinking more people would pay attention rather than ignore it.

Well the reports from other countries that have been affected for longer have already given a general idea of how it affects various groups. The majority of deaths are the elderly or those already with compromised health. The majority end up recovering. Seems to be that overall it's worse than the Flu but not as bad as SARS with everything I've read.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:As with most businesses they try to recommend proactive behavior for any health and hygiene advice but like most employees they just blow it off because the advice is nothing new.

Well the reports from other countries that have been affected for longer have already given a general idea of how it affects various groups. The majority of deaths are the elderly or those already with compromised health. The majority end up recovering. Seems to be that overall it's worse than the Flu but not as bad as SARS with everything I've read.

yeah the reports as is are shady imo. I mean my take is right now all we can really say we know is it is killing a lot of people who have compromised immune systems and or weak lung capacity due to the nature of the virus attacking the respiratory system.
I also find it somewhat curious they know so little about this that noone is admitting it could be the majority of people who have tested positive and show few symptoms may have a milder version of the virus than the one that is killing people.
I mean the whistle blower Doctor in China that died from this was 34 not 80.
that tells me the more exposed you are the stronger it is no matter what age you are.
we shall see, but I never trust the "reports" with out adding some salt
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

yeah the reports as is are shady imo. I mean my take is right now all we can really say we know is it is killing a lot of people who have compromised immune systems and or weak lung capacity due to the nature of the virus attacking the respiratory system.
I also find it somewhat curious they know so little about this that noone is admitting it could be the majority of people who have tested positive and show few symptoms may have a milder version of the virus than the one that is killing people.
that tells me the more exposed you are the stronger it is no matter what age you are.

Well I'm not basing this off of US reports but rather WHO, doctors talking on BBC News, etc. I mean SARS had a 10% Fatality rate IIRC from an article I had but wasn't as easily transmitted, this is lower at 1-4% so far but is far easier to spread.

I do know that the doctor was on of the younger ones, but like with any disease, they can affect even healthy people differently. I mean the flu on an otherwise healthy person normally doesn't matter, but there are always those rare cases of it just having much worse reactions than normal.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Well I'm not basing this off of US reports but rather WHO, doctors talking on BBC News, etc. I mean SARS had a 10% Fatality rate IIRC from an article I had but wasn't as easily transmitted, this is lower at 1-4% so far but is far easier to spread.

I do know that the doctor was on of the younger ones, but like with any disease, they can affect even healthy people differently. I mean the flu on an otherwise healthy person normally doesn't matter, but there are always those rare cases of it just having much worse reactions than normal.

Just not enough infor that is reliable really to make any solid decision about how safe it is or isn't to even go to the grocery store at this point.
I've gone from completely stopping all human contact outside of direct family to now in complete lock down with limited contact between members of my own house. It is just too risky until enough time has passed to know we're in the clear.
As far as the whistleblower he died because he was overexposed to the virus not because it effected him differently than someone else might be effected.
It has everything to do with the level of exposure imo
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#19 » by gflem » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 pm

Stillwater wrote:

Yes I am fully aware the Saudis cut prices to screw over Russia and if you read my first post in it's entirety you would see that.smh... it definitely impacted the market, but you are ignoring the covid-19 was the obvious driver for Dow not rallying and finishing at it's lowest since 2008 after having it's worst drop in history. Regardless of that it came back up today which is great... Still does not change the facts that the CDC will not be reporting to the public all private sector data on this virus only elective amounts and the numbers they post are miniscule so far compared to the amount of people likely carrying it unknown untested etc.

I didn't see that in your op. I love how you just know that I am ignoring covid-19. Clearly it has had an effect on the stock market. I am just not buying into the paranoia based on the facts that the general public has been given up to this point. You take whatever precautions you want, god bless you. But, try not to judge other people because they don't see the situation the same as you. If that is even possible.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:22 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I didn't see that in your op. I love how you just know that I am ignoring covid-19. Clearly it has had an effect on the stock market. I am just not buying into the paranoia based on the facts that the general public has been given up to this point. You take whatever precautions you want, god bless you. But, try not to judge other people because they don't see the situation the same as you. If that is even possible.

Hey it's a free country ...but if people don't take this serious and it does prove to be as bad as it could be by people ignoring it...a lot of the freedoms we have will be swept away for the so called sake of the greater purpose. It is actually more likely the virus kills more people in this country because of our current ability to choose how to respond to it compared to dictatorships that are going door to door with forehead scanners and taken full control of social media to monitor everyone in the quarantine zones . I mean it is like a mf concentration camp without the showers.
Do you really want to find out what this president is willing to do to control this virus if it continues to mutate and spread at the current rate? I sure as f dont.
hey do what you want but imo you are making a very naive mistake. This isn't anything like the world has seen since Black Death
;[The Black Death was terrifyingly, indiscriminately contagious: “the mere touching of the clothes,” wrote Boccaccio, “appeared to itself to communicate the malady to the toucher.” The disease was also terrifyingly efficient. People who were perfectly healthy when they went to bed at night could be dead by morning.]

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers