ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: First scrimmage July 23rd vs. Dallas

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: NBA suspends season until further notice 

Post#41 » by TKainZero » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 am

TyCobb wrote:China is the least trustworthy country in the solar system.

Known universe!

This situation is really a bummer. Throughout all the good and bad times in your life, the nba and sports is always there, a consistent ballast.

This virus has brought a freak out to everywhere, and it’s hitting people hard already in many different ways.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,093

Post#42 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 am

So will there be playoffs or entire season gone?
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#43 » by Slava » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:53 am

Kilroy wrote:Sure but I have coworkers in China who have been infected, recovered and released, and they say it seems like things are starting to lighten up there a little.

This is good to hear. Social isolation for a few weeks seems to work. Temporary pain but the alternative is full blown chaos.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#44 » by TyCobb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Kilroy wrote:Sure but I have coworkers in China who have been infected, recovered and released, and they say it seems like things are starting to lighten up there a little.

Lighten up from what. We will never actually know the severity of this virus in China.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#45 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:14 pm

TyCobb wrote:

Lighten up from what. We will never actually know the severity of this virus in China.

Maybe from realizing that getting infected with that virus is not a death sentence. There has to be some kind of data on the survival rate. There was report that 98% who got infected recovered. Depends on how you process it, some say oh ok, some freak out. Dr from where I work said Various drugs have been tried and claimed success.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#46 » by Beethoven » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:50 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Maybe from realizing that getting infected with that virus is not a death sentence. There has to be some kind of data on the survival rate. There was report that 98% who got infected recovered. Depends on how you process it, some say oh ok, some freak out. Dr from where I work said Various drugs have been tried and claimed success.

Just fyi , two things: this is reaching pandemic proportions, meaning a good 90-100 million will be affected in US alone (if we do not proceed w strict public lockdown measures to control). Two, the 2% death rate is huge for a pandemic. that will mean 2million will die from it in US alone if this goes at this trend (and this is assuming all 100 million gets adequate medical/health care). Influenza death rate is only about 1/10 of 1%

From the info I receive, locally, the movie theaters are pretty much empty and the malls (my wife works at a major one) are sort of deserted during the weekdays. And w NBA and other major sports suspending their season, hopefully we are going in the right direction on this
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#47 » by Landsberger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Beethoven wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Just fyi , two things: this is reaching pandemic proportions, meaning a good 90-100 million will be affected in US alone (if we do not proceed w strict public lockdown measures to control). Two, the 2% death rate is huge for a pandemic. that will mean 2million will die from it in US alone if this goes at this trend (and this is assuming all 100 million gets adequate medical/health care). Influenza death rate is only about 1/10 of 1%

From the info I receive, locally, the movie theaters are pretty much empty and the malls (my wife works at a major one) are sort of deserted during the weekdays. And w NBA and other major sports suspending their season, hopefully we are going in the right direction on this

Be careful on the statistics of this. Keep in mind that everyone who dies of an upper respiratory infection will be tested and counted in the mortality rate but only people who get tested and live will be counted in the infected rate. Statistically, when you look at previous outbreaks, there are only about 30% of the infected that are confirmed by tests.

A few people I know in the know on the statistical measuring of this believe the true mortality rate is well below 1% when you account for the sick not being counted in the infected totals.

To compare this in Influenza A which has also been sweeping the nation this flu season which has a .1%ish mortality rate but in those statistics they have validated deaths and assumed infected.

When you overlay the conditions of the people dying along with the level of healthcare access you'll find that the mortality rate for someone otherwise healthy in a truly developed country is going to be about what Influenza A has been here in the US. Maybe a little higher but this 10 times higher stuff will most likely turn out to be much, much higher than what will truly occur here in the US. Even that rate is statistical smoke when you look at the underlying health of the individuals.

To compare.... H1N1 infected 66M confirmed in 2009-10. It is assumed that another 120M had it and were never confirmed. The mortality rate was roughly 2% of the 66M.... not the total assumed 180M
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Beethoven » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:02 am

^ got it. Understood.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
zuju
Senior
And1: 119

Post#49 » by zuju » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:12 am

Landsberger wrote:
Beethoven wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

Be careful on the statistics of this. Keep in mind that everyone who dies of an upper respiratory infection will be tested and counted in the mortality rate but only people who get tested and live will be counted in the infected rate. Statistically, when you look at previous outbreaks, there are only about 30% of the infected that are confirmed by tests.

A few people I know in the know on the statistical measuring of this believe the true mortality rate is well below 1% when you account for the sick not being counted in the infected totals.

To compare this in Influenza A which has also been sweeping the nation this flu season which has a .1%ish mortality rate but in those statistics they have validated deaths and assumed infected.

When you overlay the conditions of the people dying along with the level of healthcare access you'll find that the mortality rate for someone otherwise healthy in a truly developed country is going to be about what Influenza A has been here in the US. Maybe a little higher but this 10 times higher stuff will most likely turn out to be much, much higher than what will truly occur here in the US. Even that rate is statistical smoke when you look at the underlying health of the individuals.

To compare.... H1N1 infected 66M confirmed in 2009-10. It is assumed that another 120M had it and were never confirmed. The mortality rate was roughly 2% of the 66M.... not the total assumed 180M

Very good points
I do not know the statistical system/methodology in counting the infection and calculating the mortality rate. Yet, if you suggest that the actual infected no. may be much higher for Coronavirus and the actual mortality rate could be much lower than statistically suggested, Isn't / Wasn't it the same for other virus e.g. flu or H1N1?

That is, to me, you could never know the actual no of infection even you are in the richest country / area. The mortality rate is calculated base on the no. of death over known infected no. for all virus / epidemic. In other words, if this calculated rate is overestimated for coronavirus, the same goes to other virus. The higher mortality rate really mean something !!!!

To my knowledge, the Mainland China changed their standard in confirming whether the patient was infected by coronavirus. At one point, when they could not test all patients, they simply count those with Pneumonitis (i.e. inflammation in lung) as patient infected with coronavirus. Some other place in Asia established a mechanism to screen patients with higher risks for test. For example, if they had been to the Mainland / other area with coronavirus outbreak in the past 14 days and observed with upper respiratory tract infection symptrome, they will be refereed to the hospital and tested. You can see, they are doing more and more to try and identify all people infected with this fatal virus. You may be right about the "error" of the mortality rate. But experience in other place of the world could be seen as a valuable reference for your country and you.

This virus is highly transmissible. Don't underestimate it. Wear a face mask when go out and wash your hands frequently. Do not touch your nose, mouth or even eyes if you haven't washed your hands. This is already the most basic stuff to protect yourself. You may not realize, People in Asia are doing a lot more to protect themselves in the recent months.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#50 » by Landsberger » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm

zuju wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
Beethoven wrote:Just fyi , two things: this is reaching pandemic proportions, meaning a good 90-100 million will be affected in US alone (if we do not proceed w strict public lockdown measures to control). Two, the 2% death rate is huge for a pandemic. that will mean 2million will die from it in US alone if this goes at this trend (and this is assuming all 100 million gets adequate medical/health care). Influenza death rate is only about 1/10 of 1%

Very good points
I do not know the statistical system/methodology in counting the infection and calculating the mortality rate. Yet, if you suggest that the actual infected no. may be much higher for Coronavirus and the actual mortality rate could be much lower than statistically suggested, Isn't / Wasn't it the same for other virus e.g. flu or H1N1?

That is, to me, you could never know the actual no of infection even you are in the richest country / area. The mortality rate is calculated base on the no. of death over known infected no. for all virus / epidemic. In other words, if this calculated rate is overestimated for coronavirus, the same goes to other virus. The higher mortality rate really mean something !!!!

To my knowledge, the Mainland China changed their standard in confirming whether the patient was infected by coronavirus. At one point, when they could not test all patients, they simply count those with Pneumonitis (i.e. inflammation in lung) as patient infected with coronavirus. Some other place in Asia established a mechanism to screen patients with higher risks for test. For example, if they had been to the Mainland / other area with coronavirus outbreak in the past 14 days and observed with upper respiratory tract infection symptrome, they will be refereed to the hospital and tested. You can see, they are doing more and more to try and identify all people infected with this fatal virus. You may be right about the "error" of the mortality rate. But experience in other place of the world could be seen as a valuable reference for your country and you.

This virus is highly transmissible. Don't underestimate it. Wear a face mask when go out and wash your hands frequently. Do not touch your nose, mouth or even eyes if you haven't washed your hands. This is already the most basic stuff to protect yourself. You may not realize, People in Asia are doing a lot more to protect themselves in the recent months.

I don't want to downplay the threat here..... just keep in mind that it's an election year and what passes for news these days are actually massive media companies that must have eyes.... statistics reported by them in most cases are either cherry picked or not explained entirely. Their goal is not to inform you. It it was it would take 5 minutes. Their goal is to be necessary and the best way to do that is drive up fear unfortunately.

The truth is that there is very little that can be done to stop the spread beyond what's common sense. China tried the totalitarian approach and see where we are.... Europe is trying the kumbaya approach with little or no different results. Here we have an administration that is reacting as well as they can in the face of the threat and we have a party out of power reacting in a way that will help them regain power. All this crap does is divide the divided even further. The only benefit of this is political... it's never the people.

Meanwhile, we seem to be fixated on toilet paper.....
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#51 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Landsberger wrote:
zuju wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Very good points

I don't want to downplay the threat here..... just keep in mind that it's an election year and what passes for news these days are actually massive media companies that must have eyes.... statistics reported by them in most cases are either cherry picked or not explained entirely. Their goal is not to inform you. It it was it would take 5 minutes. Their goal is to be necessary and the best way to do that is drive up fear unfortunately.

The truth is that there is very little that can be done to stop the spread beyond what's common sense. China tried the totalitarian approach and see where we are.... Europe is trying the kumbaya approach with little or no different results. Here we have an administration that is reacting as well as they can in the face of the threat and we have a party out of power reacting in a way that will help them regain power. All this crap does is divide the divided even further. The only benefit of this is political... it's never the people.

Meanwhile, we seem to be fixated on toilet paper.....

Great points guys, although I'm not sure I agree with the statement "people in Asia" are doing A LOT MORE to protect themselves.
There's 48 countries listed in Asia, Yes, there are advanced countries who are aware of proper hand hygiene and common sense but I don't know really the exact proportion to make a confident general declaration. I am asian who works in a Hospital, I work with a Radiologist who makes it a point to tell everybody that he is New York trained Physician and yet he is not exactly disciplined to practice hand hygiene etc. I can't help by laugh on people who bought tons of toilet paper and water. I use filters and I have a bidet but then again, I was affected with the rice shortage bec I love rice, so I found myself combing groceries to buy an extra sack .
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#52 » by dockingsched » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
zuju
Senior
And1: 119

Post#53 » by zuju » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 am

I am not here to argue whether Asian has done a better job or not. I simply hope all ppl here are healthy and not infected.

Yes, the "people in Asia" stuff may notbe true for all area over Asia. However, some people in certain area, notably Taiwan, Singapore, Thai anf Homg Kong, are / were taking it real serious from the beginning when or even before the first infected case was confirmed. One very good example and comparison is the popularity of wearing a face mask among people in these area. For example, in the city where I live, after the first imported case was confirmed, more than 90% of people where a mask on the street. If you do not wear a mask, you will be looked by others as if you are a monster or a movable big virus. In contrast, as to my knowledge/ from the scene I saw in news reports, people in Europe and America still do not wear masks. A few weeks ago, if you wear a mask, you will be teased and laughed at. Hell, face mask is the primary protection you should be using!!! There is no doubt why places with much higher population density still do not have an outbreak like we saw in the Mainland China and Europe.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#54 » by dockingsched » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 am

Read on Twitter

At some point it’s just going to be too late to bother starting the season back up.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#55 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:22 am

Welp, Divisional banner here we come.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Beethoven » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:31 am

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

At some point it’s just going to be too late to bother starting the season back up.

I think it makes more sense to continue current season to its completion at the expense of perhaps next season.
It doesnt make any sense to dump a work and interest vested season all together just bc of lengthy delays. Just continue it when suspension is over whenever that is.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,093

Post#57 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

So no playoffs anyone know about that yet ???

Surely they won't skip the playoffs?
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#58 » by Slava » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:15 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

They could do one full season and one canceled season or two curtailed seasons.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#59 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Silver lining: no traffic going to work or heading home after work.
Forum permissions