ImageImageImage

Jalen Brunson discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Jalen Brunson discussion 

Post#201 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 am

HMFFL wrote:Marc Stein: The Mavericks announce that guard Jalen Brunson has undergone surgery on his right shoulder. No timetable for his recovery was immediately set

– via Twitter TheSteinLine

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

That's good to hear. I'm glad he decided to get it done.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#202 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:16 am

Actually how serious if his injury? What is the expected recovery time?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#203 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:Actually how serious if his injury? What is the expected recovery time?

I think at least 2 months. Probably 3 for good measure. I think he's likely out for the season.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#204 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:32 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:Actually how serious if his injury? What is the expected recovery time?

I think at least 2 months. Probably 3 for good measure. I think he's likely out for the season.

That depends on how long they are on hiatus. If they do end up playing into August there should be plenty of time for him to get back after his surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#205 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

That depends on how long they are on hiatus. If they do end up playing into August there should be plenty of time for him to get back after his surgery.

Fair enough. I wonder what this does to the next season. Maybe they just go straight to the playoffs after this, but perhaps make it a bigger bracket than in years past. Ionno, the situation is pretty odd to say the least.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#206 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:50 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Fair enough. I wonder what this does to the next season. Maybe they just go straight to the playoffs after this, but perhaps make it a bigger bracket than in years past. Ionno, the situation is pretty odd to say the least.

Cuban was suggesting that they could play about 6-7 games to get back in game shape, and then start the playoffs.

There will likely be less days off between games. Instead of two days between each game, only one day off.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#207 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:That depends on how long they are on hiatus. If they do end up playing into August there should be plenty of time for him to get back after his surgery.

Cuban was suggesting that they could play about 6-7 games to get back in game shape, and then start the playoffs.

There will likely be less days off between games. Instead of two days between each game, only one day off.

That's probably the best. I'd like to see more than just 6-7 games though, but we'll see.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#208 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:55 am

Two things come to mind.

1) At what point do we consider that the virus is 100%out and the season is a go again. Who determines that for the virus part.

2) Do we suspend the season at any point if any player is daignosed with the virus again?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#209 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 pm

arkuo wrote:Two things come to mind.

1) At what point do we consider that the virus is 100%out and the season is a go again. Who determines that for the virus part.

2) Do we suspend the season at any point if any player is daignosed with the virus again?

I think once there is a vaccine and as we start to see the new cases dwindle down, they they will start the games back up. As far as who actually makes that decision I would guess Adam Silver.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#210 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:25 pm

Playing the remainder of the season out (20 games?) doesn't make much sense to me. On the other hand, big corporate companies are invested so much, and vendors, that they may want all of the games played.
I would prefer the season to be cut down to around 10 games before the playoffs are played.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
itsgotime
Junior
And1: 2

Post#211 » by itsgotime » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Should be up to 10 games with teams that hadn't played as many games as the others getting the extra games to even up the amount of games played for all teams, IMO. Might not be able to even up the amount of home to away games which would be a separate issue, but can't do anything about that without playing out the rest of the season.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#212 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Maybe instead of playing the 17-20 games that are left, the NBA just implements a larger playoff tournament. Make it for 24 teams, so 12 on each side, which means that the top 4 seeds in each conference get first round byes.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#213 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Also, how important do you all think Jalen Brunson is to this team on a scale of 1-10?
1 being entirely unimportant, irrelevant and 10 being the most important player on the team (which is obviously Luka, lol).
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#214 » by The Sparest » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:48 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Also, how important do you all think Jalen Brunson is to this team on a scale of 1-10?
1 being entirely unimportant, irrelevant and 10 being the most important player on the team (which is obviously Luka, lol).

I would rate him a 5 on importance. A solid bench guy, which is important for building a good team, but not irreplaceable.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Mr B
RealGM

Post#215 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Maybe instead of playing the 17-20 games that are left, the NBA just implements a larger playoff tournament. Make it for 24 teams, so 12 on each side, which means that the top 4 seeds in each conference get first round byes.

I think they will do something more along the lines of what Cuban suggested. Play about 10 games to allow the players to get back in shape and then start the playoffs as normal. According him they will likely be playing in to August (which I’m perfectly ok with).

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#216 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:39 pm

The Sparest wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Also, how important do you all think Jalen Brunson is to this team on a scale of 1-10?

I would rate him a 5 on importance. A solid bench guy, which is important for building a good team, but not irreplaceable.

That's fair. That's why I think the Mavs could include him into a trade for another young starter, like Aaron Gordon or even Lavine. I would consider throwing him into a deal for someone like Harrison Barnes, but probably wouldn't do it. MAYBE for a guy like Julius Randle, but then again, I'd probably stay away from it entirely.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#217 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Maybe instead of playing the 17-20 games that are left, the NBA just implements a larger playoff tournament. Make it for 24 teams, so 12 on each side, which means that the top 4 seeds in each conference get first round byes.

I think they will do something more along the lines of what Cuban suggested. Play about 10 games to allow the players to get back in shape and then start the playoffs as normal. According him they will likely be playing in to August (which I’m perfectly ok with).

How would that effect the timeline of the 2020-21 season though?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#218 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:

They might push back the start of the new season or have an abbreviated training camp.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#219 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think they will do something more along the lines of what Cuban suggested. Play about 10 games to allow the players to get back in shape and then start the playoffs as normal. According him they will likely be playing in to August (which I’m perfectly ok with).

They might push back the start of the new season or have an abbreviated training camp.

Yeah, maybe more back-to-backs and whatnot too. If that's the case, then I'd make a special rule where the TWPs are eligible to be with the team for a longer period of time. Like make it 60 days instead of 45. And then, just for that, more jam-packed season, allow teams to have all 15 players eligible to suit up for the game. Heck, make it the full 17 for all I care. 13/15 is good, but I don't really understand why you have to scratch 2 players. If you have injuries, then you have injuries. Just sit those guys out and give others some burn.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#220 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Yeah, maybe more back-to-backs and whatnot too. If that's the case, then I'd make a special rule where the TWPs are eligible to be with the team for a longer period of time. Like make it 60 days instead of 45. And then, just for that, more jam-packed season, allow teams to have all 15 players eligible to suit up for the game. Heck, make it the full 17 for all I care. 13/15 is good, but I don't really understand why you have to scratch 2 players. If you have injuries, then you have injuries. Just sit those guys out and give others some burn.

Yea that makes sense and would be cool with me too. Hopefully all this craziness (the virus) passes as the summer gets closer. Is really expect that first game (with a crowd) to be extremely loud! Every arena around the country is going to be rockin!

Return to Dallas Mavericks