NBA Willing To Entertain Test Of Christmas To August Calendar

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Willing To Entertain Test Of Christmas To August Calendar 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 am

Atlanta Hawks CEO Steve Koonin recently proposed starting and ending the NBA season two months than they currently do in order to avoid footballl. Due to the NBA suspending the 19-20 season because of COVID-19, the league may be forced to adopt 

"I even had one team president, who I respect, who I think has some level of influence in the league said to me the other day that he never really liked that Koonin idea, but the more he thinks about it now, the more it does intrigue him," said Adrian Wojnarowski. 

"That will be interesting. It may come out of necessity that next season starts in December and ends deeper into the summer. It would be a fundamental change to the calendar. Summer League, the draft, free agency...they're all moved back.

"Would you do Summer League in Las Vegas in late August or early September?

"I do think that idea is going to be entertained because it seems as though, even in the best case scenarios, next season probably has to be moved back."

The NBA was already open to the idea before the suspension of the season.

"You're going to hear more about that idea and maybe it gets tested out of necessity."

Bobby Marks outlined what the new NBA calendar would look like.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: NBA Willing To Entertain Test Of Christmas To August Calendar 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 am

Adam Silver is officially losing his mind.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

This is an outstanding idea.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by BigTex » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 am

Sounds horrible. What on earth does football have to do with the NBA? And having the Las Vegas "Summer" league after school starts is a horrible idea. One of the best things I did with my daughers was to take them to Summer League for a week, plus.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#5 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:02 am

In northern states and in Canada, we have a long winter. The last thing we want to be doing is going to an indoor game, or sitting inside the house, on a hot day, or warm evening. The sun doesn't go down until 9:00 in June where I live. We want to be outside in the good weather. TV ratings in northern states and Canada will suffer.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#6 » by Batsy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:11 am

Wtf, just jave a shortened season starting on Xmas and end it on the normal schedule in April. The NBA used to be good at this kind of stuff.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#7 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:40 am

BigTex wrote:Sounds horrible. What on earth does football have to do with the NBA?

Agreed. And if they start the season around xmas, that’s right when the NFL starts getting interesting and people start watching even more
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#8 » by BigTex » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
BigTex wrote:Sounds horrible. What on earth does football have to do with the NBA?

Agreed. And if they start the season around xmas, that’s right when the NFL starts getting interesting and people start watching even more

Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t think there was much overlap between NBA fans and football fans. I wouldn’t watch the Superbowl if they played it in my back yard. I rather the NBA play late September to May. Once it’s summer, I’d rather be out and about.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,701

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 am

I would love this so much.

NBA is my love. NFL is the only other sport I watch even to some degree.

They aren't in huge conflict now, as they generally aren't at the same time, but if they ran opposite, I'd have something to watch all the time. There's really nothing sportswise at all going on in the summer outside of baseball, which I could not give a rats ass about, so having the NBA in summer would be fun.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#10 » by Dave_From_NB » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:50 am

Spring comes and I want to be outside. Afternoon games I despise and mostly miss on a nice day. Life is too short to waste it sitting on your ass, but that is a lot easier to compromise on in February than in summer.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Post#11 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Love it. Side benefit would be that the traditionally cold cities (Minnesota, Toronto, Chicago, Philly, NY, Detroit, etc...), would only have 2 months of cold weather during the season (Jan/Feb) and 4 months of good to great weather (May, June, July, August). NBA players should be down for that.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,701

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:43 pm

BigTex wrote:Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t think there was much overlap between NBA fans and football fans. I wouldn’t watch the Superbowl if they played it in my back yard. I rather the NBA play late September to May. Once it’s summer, I’d rather be out and about.

Do you think there is a big competition between NBA and MLB fans? I would guess the crossover is greater between NBA and NFL than NBA and MLB.

On the other hand, you'd be more directly competing in timeslots with MLB as you're both playing night games vs NFL where even when it's going on, the times are generally different. NBA currently competes directly in timeslots with NHL but there is probably the lowest crossover between those sports in terms of the big four sports.

As someone with no interest in MLB, I'd love to have the NBA in the summer.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#13 » by BallinBucks420 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Love it. Side benefit would be that the traditionally cold cities (Minnesota, Toronto, Chicago, Philly, NY, Detroit, etc...), would only have 2 months of cold weather during the season (Jan/Feb) and 4 months of good to great weather (May, June, July, August). NBA players should be down for that.

id think you would rather play while its cold and have your offseason to enjoy the weather..now your talking them being off september through november instead of july to octoberish
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#14 » by grindtime22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:31 pm

BigTex wrote:
Chi Dynasty12 wrote:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t think there was much overlap between NBA fans and football fans. I wouldn’t watch the Superbowl if they played it in my back yard. I rather the NBA play late September to May. Once it’s summer, I’d rather be out and about.

Within the United States, there is a big overlap in football fans and pretty much any sport.
Tim_W
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#15 » by Tim_W » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Horrible, HORRIBLE idea. July and especially August is when many families travel and go on vacation. And even if you aren’t on vacation, for most of North America the last thing you want to do in your spare time is go to an indoor arena or be inside to watch a game.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#16 » by GordanFreeman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Pros: 3 fewer cold months so players won't hate playing in Canada as much

Cons: I'll miss more games since I usually spend a lot of time outside when the weather warms up

Conclusion: keep it the way it is
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#17 » by HeatFanLifer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:48 pm

Count this post as my vote in favor of this proposal.

Now I just need to somehow acquire a team to make my vote matter.
OP for NBA FT record

Return to Wiretap Discussion