Are in favor of a permanent move of the NBA season to Christmas-August?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Are in favor of a permanent move of the NBA season to Christmas-August? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:17 pm

1. Yes
2. No
wesson
Junior
And1: 5

Re: Are in favor of a permanent move of the NBA season to Christmas-August? 

Post#2 » by wesson » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 am

change bad

me no like change
"I just have to put the ball in the damn hole"

- Kobe Bryant
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:11 am

What is with this massive inferiority complex under Adam Silver? Stern was all alpha, he was always in "we're going to take this" mode. Silver? Pure beta. No confidence in his league's historical accomplishments, and constantly looking for somebody to imitate,
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm

There's a reason why baseball season is essentially between April and October and the regular basketball season is essentially between October and April (with playoffs lasting through the June while baseball season is just getting it's feet wet). The big sports networks are NOT going to allow it. It would make no sense for basketball to compete with baseball for the bulk of the basketball season for their viewership. Considering the NBA revenue is based primarily on broadcast revenue coming in from these networks, there's nothing Silver can do to change that. He's neither ballsy enough nor crafty enough to do that. David Stern may have been able to get farther but even he wouldn't have been able to get this done. Silver? No way.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#5 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:What is with this massive inferiority complex under Adam Silver? Stern was all alpha, he was always in "we're going to take this" mode. Silver? Pure beta. No confidence in his league's historical accomplishments, and constantly looking for somebody to imitate,

Totally agree. Silver suuucks...that said... i hate baseball, so going through summer works for me....now that being said...silver has sucked so bad i had already stopped watching the nba before the suspension...so, while theoretically i love this, practically speaking i dont give a shizzzz
Meowkat8
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Meowkat8 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:38 pm

COVID-19 is taking over, why postpone the 2019-2020 season 4ever????? We gotta continue, Kobe would want us 2 keep playing I think.
Meowkat8
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Meowkat8 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:39 pm

moocow007 wrote:There's a reason why baseball season is essentially between April and October and the regular basketball season is essentially between October and April (with playoffs lasting through the June while baseball season is just getting it's feet wet). The big sports networks are NOT going to allow it. It would make no sense for basketball to compete with baseball for the bulk of the basketball season for their viewership. Considering the NBA revenue is based primarily on broadcast revenue coming in from these networks, there's nothing Silver can do to change that. He's neither ballsy enough nor crafty enough to do that. David Stern may have been able to get farther but even he wouldn't have been able to get this done. Silver? No way.

Feet wet thing makes me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
raylewis
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#8 » by raylewis » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:There's a reason why baseball season is essentially between April and October and the regular basketball season is essentially between October and April (with playoffs lasting through the June while baseball season is just getting it's feet wet). The big sports networks are NOT going to allow it. It would make no sense for basketball to compete with baseball for the bulk of the basketball season for their viewership. Considering the NBA revenue is based primarily on broadcast revenue coming in from these networks, there's nothing Silver can do to change that. He's neither ballsy enough nor crafty enough to do that. David Stern may have been able to get farther but even he wouldn't have been able to get this done. Silver? No way.
NBA HAS MILLIONS OF FANS OUTSIDE AMERICA
Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#9 » by Knicks7Tape » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:14 am

raylewis wrote:
NBA HAS MILLIONS OF FANS OUTSIDE AMERICA

Say it louder for the people in the back
mikeyrue
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#10 » by mikeyrue » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 am

There are many who think the networks won't let this happen, but summertime ratings are generally down. This might actually help. If the NBA were to make any real changes, I think they'd be better off doing something like what soccer does: Relegating. This would eliminate tanking. If not, then maybe reduce the number of teams in the league by 4, which would help make the other teams stronger by not watering down the talent in the league.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,895

Post#11 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:What is with this massive inferiority complex under Adam Silver? Stern was all alpha, he was always in "we're going to take this" mode. Silver? Pure beta. No confidence in his league's historical accomplishments, and constantly looking for somebody to imitate,

Meanwhile..... NBA franchise values continue to skyrocket into the BBBBillions under Silver.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#12 » by donemilio21 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:34 am

oh yeah, when the days are long and weather is nice people will stay home to watch TV. :crazy:
Basketball is a winter sport, October - March is perfect time for it.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#13 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 pm

The way it currently is, NBA, MLB, and NFL all fit in seamlessly with some overlap of each.

If you change one, you would have to change them all.

NFL is a winter sport. MLB is a summer sport. It can't change from the way it is. Basketball is indoors.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#14 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:43 am

I like that the time of year I can't watch basketball, I can play it, and vice versa.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#15 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:46 am

Meowkat8 wrote:COVID-19 is taking over, why postpone the 2019-2020 season 4ever????? We gotta continue, Kobe would want us 2 keep playing I think.

Given all the players currently infected, the season would be over pretty quickly.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#16 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:

Meanwhile..... NBA franchise values continue to skyrocket into the BBBBillions under Silver.

Because Silver is in bed with China?
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,895

Post#17 » by Jabroni Lames » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

And the rest of corporate America isn't? What's the point here?
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,142

Post#18 » by Darthlukey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:50 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

And the rest of corporate America isn't? What's the point here?

Stern oversaw the league during a massive time of success and expansion, but in my opinion was also a giant douche.

Silver is taking a more consultative approach to everything. Nothing is wrong with that.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,142

Post#19 » by Darthlukey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:22 am

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:

Totally agree. Silver suuucks...that said... i hate baseball, so going through summer works for me....now that being said...silver has sucked so bad i had already stopped watching the nba before the suspension...so, while theoretically i love this, practically speaking i dont give a shizzzz

Do you mind if I ask why you still review and comment on a site like REALGM if you have ceased watching the actual games?
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Move the NBA season schedule 

Post#20 » by Najee12 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 am

Personally, I like the idea of moving the NBA season with the season starting in late December and ending in mid-August. The NBA season currently runs parallel with the NHL season, so this schedule will allow the NBA to not run lockstep with another major sport. Moving the season also would keep the end of the NBA regular season from competing with the men's NCAA tournament, which runs from March through early April and is another TV rating powerhouse.

Moreover, the NBA season would start after college football has completed its regular season and has begun its bowl season and avoid having to compete with the NFL's regular season. Living in the South, all football -- including high school football -- dominates the sports calendar and the NBA is an afterthought from late October through Christmas.

In terms of broadcasting, the sports television cycle is pretty weak in the summer just like most other broadcasting in July and August. Having the NBA playoffs during that time would introduce premium content and could capture viewership, which is lower during that time because there is little premium content running.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous

Return to Polls Discussion