NBA suspends the season due to Covid19

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#101 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 am

Jedzz wrote:Of the 10-20-30 NBA player names that have already tested positive for covid19, have many of them been reported as struggling or sick at all? Sounds like most are getting tested "because of proximity to someone that tested positive", and not because they were sick. Apparently big money can buy private test kits. I keep reading no one is exhibiting symptoms. Are any?

Medical personnel have been telling the general public to get tested if they believe they were in proximity to someone that tested positive. Many of these NBA players getting tested were in contact with players/teams already positive. Just 65 miles from me in rural MN, someone was tested and was positive because they had made a pre-pandemic visit to a California town where there ended up being four other cases. Yeah they had symptoms (flu-like), but they were still smart enough to think about their surroundings and pay attention to what's going on. Money helps, but it's not the only determining factor in who gets tested.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#102 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:49 am

People are focused on this season. If the multi wave theory is correct this will be an issue for up to 12-18 months. Obviously there are variables, but next season could be impacted as well.

Also, (and I am in no way advocating this,) I wonder if the NBA players who haven’t had it yet might not deliberately infect themselves at some point in the hopes of becoming immune and being able to finish the season in the summer. Obviously, there would need to be a significant amount of quarantine and medical resources available, but with this much money at stake I could see the MLB, NBA, and NHL players considering it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#103 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:22 pm

winforlose wrote:.

Also, (and I am in no way advocating this,) I wonder if the NBA players who haven’t had it yet might not deliberately infect themselves at some point in the hopes of becoming immune and being able to finish the season in the summer. Obviously, there would need to be a significant amount of quarantine and medical resources available, but with this much money at stake I could see the MLB, NBA, and NHL players considering it.

Whether individual players have had the disease or not is going to have very little to do with whether the league starts back up. I can't see how that makes sense.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#104 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

Whether individual players have had the disease or not is going to have very little to do with whether the league starts back up. I can't see how that makes sense.

Similar viruses offer multi year immunity after infection. Assuming this virus offers similar immunity, and players were to play in empty arenas, the entire player base being immune (having voluntarily infected themselves and then recovered,) would allow the game to be played. Obviously refs would either need to follow suit, wear protective gear, or be hired on a temp basis from a pool of people who have already had the virus. Again, I am not endorsing this, I am simply musing aloud if the players would try something like this to save the playoffs, and/or next season, given the money involved.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#105 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Similar viruses offer multi year immunity after infection. Assuming this virus offers similar immunity, and players were to play in empty arenas, the entire player base being immune (having voluntarily infected themselves and then recovered,) would allow the game to be played. Obviously refs would either need to follow suit, were protective gear, or be hired on a temp basis from a pool of people who have already had the virus. Again, I am not endorsing this, I am simply musing aloud if the players would try something like this to save the playoffs, and/or next season, given the money involved.

Even if you think this could work theoretically, there's zero chance that games would be played on this basis.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#106 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Similar viruses offer multi year immunity after infection. Assuming this virus offers similar immunity, and players were to play in empty arenas, the entire player base being immune (having voluntarily infected themselves and then recovered,) would allow the game to be played. Obviously refs would either need to follow suit, were protective gear, or be hired on a temp basis from a pool of people who have already had the virus. Again, I am not endorsing this, I am simply musing aloud if the players would try something like this to save the playoffs, and/or next season, given the money involved.

Even if you think this could work theoretically, there's zero chance that games would be played on this basis.

Again, this entire discussion is predicted on a multi wave theory. This would delay or cancel the next season and prevent any meaningful multi week resumption of this season. While it is true a fortune would be lost in ticket sales, concessions, etc... the TV contracts are still quite valuable. Also, while contract players might be able to get some portion of their contract paid to them, FA players will be in a very tight spot. I could see the governors resuming play in empty arenas if the players were immune.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#107 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:37 pm

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Again, this entire discussion is predicted on a multi wave theory. This would delay or cancel the next season and prevent any meaningful multi week resumption of this season. While it is true a fortune would be lost in ticket sales, concessions, etc... the TV contracts are still quite valuable. Also, while contract players might be able to get some portion of their contract paid to them, FA players will be in a very tight spot. I could see the governors resuming play in empty arenas if the players were immune.

I don't see how allowing players to play based on whether they've had the coronavirus would ever fly from a PR perspective. Of course the NBA wants it's money, but what you're suggesting isn't going to happen. Especially since having the coronavirus once doesn't guarantee immunity.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#108 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Of the 10-20-30 NBA player names that have already tested positive for covid19, have many of them been reported as struggling or sick at all? Sounds like most are getting tested "because of proximity to someone that tested positive", and not because they were sick. Apparently big money can buy private test kits. I keep reading no one is exhibiting symptoms. Are any?

Medical personnel have been telling the general public to get tested if they believe they were in proximity to someone that tested positive. Many of these NBA players getting tested were in contact with players/teams already positive. Just 65 miles from me in rural MN, someone was tested and was positive because they had made a pre-pandemic visit to a California town where there ended up being four other cases. Yeah they had symptoms (flu-like), but they were still smart enough to think about their surroundings and pay attention to what's going on. Money helps, but it's not the only determining factor in who gets tested.

I guess I wasn't trying to b completely critical of why they were tested. I am about how quickly whole teams are being tested, when communities with spread are having difficulty. I understand that they have good reason to be tested given travl, proximity, and nature of sports play and team lockerooms. As good a reason as anyone. It's just that it doesn't seem an issue to find tests if you've got the money to order them up.

The interesting part to me is that very little of them are exhibiting any symptoms at all. A couple have minor flu like symptoms. And yet the spread is clearly there it seems. I've read a UofM report on how at least one researcher quoted they believed it may be a case where people have more virus load and are more actively shedding virus to spread when not exhibiting symptoms than once they actually do have symptoms. Which has led to problems where decisions are made to test only those that have been found around a symptomatic person that was then positively tested. Well what about the 100 thousand walking around with no symptoms whatsoever? The whole only-test those who have been in proximity to a positive test subject kind of goes out the window.

Which is why it is kind of interesting that Gobert got tested in the first place having never exhibited any symptoms. Who was he supposedly near first that caused them to test him? Or did he just go get tested on his own at that moment when people were giving him so much grief about his sarcastic actions? Was he not the first NBA player to be found positive?

If I call the doctor right now they will ask if I've been traveling or around anyone who has. They will ask if I have any symptoms. And when I say maybe yes maybe no to #1 and no to #2, they will tell me to just stand pat and give me no test. But that doesn't mean I'm not a walking talking carrier of it shedding it on every person I breath by. That's what I was getting at.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#109 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I guess I wasn't trying to b completely critical of why they were tested. I am about how quickly whole teams are being tested, when communities with spread are having difficulty. I understand that they have good reason to be tested given travl, proximity, and nature of sports play and team lockerooms. As good a reason as anyone. It's just that it doesn't seem an issue to find tests if you've got the money to order them up.

The interesting part to me is that very little of them are exhibiting any symptoms at all. A couple have minor flu like symptoms. And yet the spread is clearly there it seems. I've read a UofM report on how at least one researcher quoted they believed it may be a case where people have more virus load and are more actively shedding virus to spread when not exhibiting symptoms than once they actually do have symptoms. Which has led to problems where decisions are made to test only those that have been found around a symptomatic person that was then positively tested. Well what about the 100 thousand walking around with no symptoms whatsoever? The whole only-test those who have been in proximity to a positive test subject kind of goes out the window.

Which is why it is kind of interesting that Gobert got tested in the first place having never exhibited any symptoms. Who was he supposedly near first that caused them to test him? Or did he just go get tested on his own at that moment when people were giving him so much grief about his sarcastic actions? Was he not the first NBA player to be found positive?

If I call the doctor right now they will ask if I've been traveling or around anyone who has. They will ask if I have any symptoms. And when I say maybe yes maybe no to #1 and no to #2, they will tell me to just stand pat and give me no test. But that doesn't mean I'm not a walking talking carrier of it shedding it on every person I breath by. That's what I was getting at.

Gobert had symptoms. He got tested that morning when he was experiencing flu like symptoms. He got better throughout the day. He decided he was well enough to play that was when the result came in and the game was cancelled.

As for why athletes are less likely to experience symptoms, I would suggest it relates to their conditioning. A large number of infected people (I have heard numbers between 50-80 percent) are asymptomatic.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#110 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Given that the virus affects lung capacity, I can’t help but wonder if some players who have caught it will have it affect their level of play even after they recover.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 860

Post#111 » by Dalvin » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:50 am

Worm Guts wrote:Given that the virus affects lung capacity, I can’t help but wonder if some players who have caught it will have it affect their level of play even after they recover.

I was wondering the same thing too. Would they be more winded easily when they play? That would suck a lot for players who tested positive for it :cry:
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#112 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:02 am

Dalvin wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Given that the virus affects lung capacity, I can’t help but wonder if some players who have caught it will have it affect their level of play even after they recover.

I was wondering the same thing too. Would they be more winded easily when they play? That would suck a lot for players who tested positive for it :cry:

I'm starting to suspect this exact same highly contageous covid19 was already ripping it's way through this country since November. Anyone remember the "flu" going around and knocking players out earlier in the season? This team got wacked by it. A few players sat out games with a bad flu or something. When Towns came back, I think after a flu or whatever, he looked winded constantly. Early in games completely winded. Maybe not but I think it's possible.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#113 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:26 am

Jedzz wrote:
Dalvin wrote:

I'm starting to suspect this exact same highly contageous covid19 was already ripping it's way through this country since November. Anyone remember the "flu" going around and knocking players out earlier in the season? This team got wacked by it. A few players sat out games with a bad flu or something. When Towns came back, I think after a flu or whatever, he looked winded constantly. Early in games completely winded. Maybe not but I think it's possible.

That was nasty. My brother got hit with it and thought he was on his deathbed. He was down for 20 days, at time he couldn't move. It was vicious, hit him around December.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#114 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 am

Jedzz wrote:
Dalvin wrote:

My bro is a primary care doc and he told me influenza A has been big around the country this flu season. Though Minnesota did get hit especially hard by it. I doubt Covid 19 was here in October or November, but anything is possible.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#115 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Dalvin wrote:I was wondering the same thing too. Would they be more winded easily when they play? That would suck a lot for players who tested positive for it :cry:

That was nasty. My brother got hit with it and thought he was on his deathbed. He was down for 20 days, at time he couldn't move. It was vicious, hit him around December.
I also know many that got hit with it in late November and all through December and was told it was really bad for them. Deep wet sounding lung coughing was a definite part of it for many and that cough lingered especially long. Lots of people using the term deathbeds. It was also highly contageous in my opinion compared to what I've normally seen. I remember people talking about it here because it was taking down players, I remember commenting on how many more people in Minnesota were getting hit this year at the time.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#116 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm

winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Dalvin wrote:I was wondering the same thing too. Would they be more winded easily when they play? That would suck a lot for players who tested positive for it :cry:

My bro is a primary care doc and he told me influenza A has been big around the country this flu season. Though Minnesota did get hit especially hard by it. I doubt Covid 19 was here in October or November, but anything is possible.

The thing is, how would they really know if they weren't testing for it until after the China event? I assume they do see enough people coming in each year to know what is generally going around. They obviously are well educated in this and so maybe they are more confident about knowing this. But this flu going around this winter was different in symptoms and different in contagiousness from past norms imo. The nasty cough was part of it.

I know so many people that rode this out without seeing doctors for it. In past years when I've gotten the flu or bad colds, I only go in to see a doctor if it gets into my lungs and lingers. Always the same, they check you out visibly, listen to you describe your symptoms, listen to the lungs and if it's bad enough they give you antibiotics to try and clear the lungs out. I always see the tongue swabs on the wall and things like that but have never had them test me for anything specific in these instances. Maybe only the really rough, dangerously fevered or deathly ill at the moment get that treatment level and I've maybe never gotten that bad or went in at that time before? And maybe an assumption is often made based on the masses coming in and if they aren't in danger zones everyone just gets the same thing prescribed for the symptoms if needed.

But just last week I know of people in our area having the symptoms, going to the clinics and not getting tested still. Apparantly this area still doesn't really have tests available for many? As far as I've heard, the doctors aren't saying to them "you have it, but we just can't test for it yet", or "you just have Flu type A or whatever". They were told how to handle symptoms and to self confine themselves. As if it was going to be easy for them to tell the difference between this and normal nasty flu without a test. Because I'm not hearing of tell tale signs to look out for that sound any different from a typical bad flu/cold combo except for the depth of danger possible this time, and apparently this thing impacts people from zero symptoms at all and all the way to ventilators or death bed on the other end of the spectrum. I know this winter I had some concern of getting whatever was going around when hearing the cough and voice of some of these people hit really bad and usually this was during their recovery stage when they came back out of hiding. Maybe there just wasn't many or any cases bad enough to need ventilators or death going around to force the medical community here to look for something new. What is that moment that forces the medical community to look for something different? Do they happen upon these discoveries passively? Or does it take mounting longterm bed ridden and deaths at one time to trigger an indepth search?

I wonder now how many elderly or whoever got severly ill or actually died this winter and had it attributed to underlying desease weaknesses during normal flu virus totals, If any. Could it have been this #19 instead? I'm not thinking in terms of fault, rather I'm thinking in terms of how supposedly no one knew this existed yet. So jump to now, let's say you have definitely had Covid19 a month ago, do you test positive of it now? Does it stay in the system and detectable by test after you have fully recovered for a few months? If it's no longer detectable, how would they ever know? If it is detectable, could many that are testing positive now but exhibit no symptoms now just have gone through it already a couple months ago without having realized it was anything different? These are just things I don't hear people talking about much. Just rambling.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#117 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The thing is, how would they really know if they weren't testing for it until after the China event? I assume they do see enough people coming in each year to know what is generally going around. They obviously are well educated in this and so maybe they are more confident about knowing this. But this flu going around this winter was different in symptoms and different in contagiousness from past norms imo. The nasty cough was part of it.

I know so many people that rode this out without seeing doctors for it. In past years when I've gotten the flu or bad colds, I only go in to see a doctor if it gets into my lungs and lingers. Always the same, they check you out visibly, listen to you describe your symptoms, listen to the lungs and if it's bad enough they give you antibiotics to try and clear the lungs out. I always see the tongue swabs on the wall and things like that but have never had them test me for anything specific in these instances. Maybe only the really rough, dangerously fevered or deathly ill at the moment get that treatment level and I've maybe never gotten that bad or went in at that time before? And maybe an assumption is often made based on the masses coming in and if they aren't in danger zones everyone just gets the same thing prescribed for the symptoms if needed.

But just last week I know of people in our area having the symptoms, going to the clinics and not getting tested still. Apparantly this area still doesn't really have tests available for many? As far as I've heard, the doctors aren't saying to them "you have it, but we just can't test for it yet", or "you just have Flu type A or whatever". They were told how to handle symptoms and to self confine themselves. As if it was going to be easy for them to tell the difference between this and normal nasty flu without a test. Because I'm not hearing of tell tale signs to look out for that sound any different from a typical bad flu/cold combo except for the depth of danger possible this time, and apparently this thing impacts people from zero symptoms at all and all the way to ventilators or death bed on the other end of the spectrum. I know this winter I had some concern of getting whatever was going around when hearing the cough and voice of some of these people hit really bad and usually this was during their recovery stage when they came back out of hiding. Maybe there just wasn't many or any cases bad enough to need ventilators or death going around to force the medical community here to look for something new. What is that moment that forces the medical community to look for something different? Do they happen upon these discoveries passively? Or does it take mounting longterm bed ridden and deaths at one time to trigger an indepth search?

I wonder now how many elderly or whoever got severly ill or actually died this winter and had it attributed to underlying desease weaknesses during normal flu virus totals, If any. Could it have been this #19 instead? I'm not thinking in terms of fault, rather I'm thinking in terms of how supposedly no one knew this existed yet. So jump to now, let's say you have definitely had Covid19 a month ago, do you test positive of it now? Does it stay in the system and detectable by test after you have fully recovered for a few months? If it's no longer detectable, how would they ever know? If it is detectable, could many that are testing positive now but exhibit no symptoms now just have gone through it already a couple months ago without having realized it was anything different? These are just things I don't hear people talking about much. Just rambling.

The short answer is the virus origins have been traced and it simply is highly unlikely given the early tracking that it made it to Minnesota in early November.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 778

Post#118 » by SSUBluesman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am

Jedzz wrote:
Dalvin wrote:

I've been suspecting something similar as well, maybe not November early but that it was more widespread than previously believed. Something people don't realize about the "deaths from flu" yearly count is that often underlying conditions are involved and there is little attempt to separate those conditions from the flu as being the primary (or only) factor.

This has been a pretty awful year illness wise, so I'm fairly skeptical. However, in January after the first visit to a nursing home housing my father in law that had signs everywhere warning for an 'influenza outbreak' my wife got ill that evening, with myself and our youngest (3 years old) catching it soon afterwards. I vomited for the first time in over 20 years and even though I was "fine" enough to work on Monday (the worst for me was Saturday/Sunday night) I wasn't quite right for awhile and in particular had a long lingering dry cough and sinus issues including daily headaches and having to use sinus sprays/super hot food to drain my sinuses. Again, these were things I don't have from colds/flus.

Most tellingly though is that my mother in law, who was with my wife at the nursing home, got a terrible cough that soon put her in the hospital where she then had to be taken to a better equipped hospital where she was in ICU and was being given oxygen because she couldn't breathe on her own. After about a week she was able to go home but had to have 24/7 care the first few days and then had to have someone cooking/cleaning for her as she was still on oxygen.

While the symptoms don't completely line up, especially with our 3 year old being sick, the power this had and the lasting respiratory effects has me wondering if we didn't get waylaid by it.
2008 NBA Champions-Boston Celtics
2009 NBA ChampionsLos Angeles Lakers
2010 NBA Champions-Vacated due to lack of worthy recipients
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#119 » by shrink » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Imagine how much different our future would look, if the Coronavirus would have shut the season down before the trade deadline.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#120 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:27 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I've been suspecting something similar as well, maybe not November early but that it was more widespread than previously believed. Something people don't realize about the "deaths from flu" yearly count is that often underlying conditions are involved and there is little attempt to separate those conditions from the flu as being the primary (or only) factor.

This has been a pretty awful year illness wise, so I'm fairly skeptical. However, in January after the first visit to a nursing home housing my father in law that had signs everywhere warning for an 'influenza outbreak' my wife got ill that evening, with myself and our youngest (3 years old) catching it soon afterwards. I vomited for the first time in over 20 years and even though I was "fine" enough to work on Monday (the worst for me was Saturday/Sunday night) I wasn't quite right for awhile and in particular had a long lingering dry cough and sinus issues including daily headaches and having to use sinus sprays/super hot food to drain my sinuses. Again, these were things I don't have from colds/flus.

Most tellingly though is that my mother in law, who was with my wife at the nursing home, got a terrible cough that soon put her in the hospital where she then had to be taken to a better equipped hospital where she was in ICU and was being given oxygen because she couldn't breathe on her own. After about a week she was able to go home but had to have 24/7 care the first few days and then had to have someone cooking/cleaning for her as she was still on oxygen.

While the symptoms don't completely line up, especially with our 3 year old being sick, the power this had and the lasting respiratory effects has me wondering if we didn't get waylaid by it.

That sounds like exactly what many dealt with. Especially how it was hitting each family member. Most years a kid gets a cold/flu, takes it home and maybe one other person gets it. I feel like it's much more rare for it to hit everyone around like it seemed to this winter. High fever numbers, sinus overload and that lingering cough afterwards. It sounded nasty, deep and wet. But people with it described it as a dry cough. I know two people where the cough lingered so long it concerned them enough to finally go in to get checked out. Feeling fine at that point in most other ways, feeling recovered, but the lung issue persisting for weeks concerned them.

I agree the symptoms or timeline going through it doesn't seems to completely line up. But I wonder still.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves