ImageImageImage

NBA suspended indefinitely.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Re: NBA suspended indefinitely. 

Post#161 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Too much fearmongering. I have siblings, who normally don't even talk to me, begin to "educate" me with what's going on and how bad it is.

Here's a nobel prize winner who believes that with social distancing, this virus is extremely containable. This guy also predicted the China slowdown with incredible accuracy. He also implied that the flu is much worse than the coronavirus, granted that social distancing and common sense takes place. Unless you are smarter than this guy, it's just a bunch of noise.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,168

Post#162 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:45 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:Too much fearmongering. I have siblings, who normally don't even talk to me, begin to "educate" me with what's going on and how bad it is.

Here's a nobel prize winner who believes that with social distancing, this virus is extremely containable. This guy also predicted the China slowdown with incredible accuracy. He also implied that the flu is much worse than the coronavirus, granted that social distancing and common sense takes place. Unless you are smarter than this guy, it's just a bunch of noise.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

It's always great to get opinions of experts, but there are still things that we don't know about the virus that aren't addressed in this article. We don't really know what the long-term effects of the virus are. For example, the virus that causes chickenpox can remain dormant in your nerve tissue and cause you to develop shingles later in life. Coronavirus can really attack the lungs, and it's still way too early to tell whether or not people's lungs fully recover or are irrevocably damaged, not to mention whether it has a potential aftershock like chickenpox.

Also, he emphasized the importance of social distancing and vaccination (namely Flu vaccines) to help keep hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. Unfortunately we've got a growing anti-vax movement in the US and we've got a lot of people who are very dismissive of the veracity and severity of the virus (thanks in no small part to many of our elected officials). This isn't just going to disappear out of thin air, but we've got a lot of people acting like these essential containment strategies are unnecessary burdens on their way of life.

And I have family and friends who work in healthcare and a whole lot of them have expressed their anxiety due to the under-preparedness of their workplaces.

That's why I'm saying this isn't close to being over and it will keep getting worse by the day.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,932

Post#163 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:58 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:I'm estimating 110-120k infected and around 1600 dead in the U.S by the end of April until things begin smoothing over.

Continuing on the path we are on now, it's going to be far worse than that. This multiplies exponentially. Please read the article I posted a few posts back. It's at about 40k right now, but that will most likely be 80k in a few days, by the end of April it's more likely to be over a million confirmed cases, unless people HEAVILY isolate themselves. Considering I heard my neighbor having a small party last night, I am not holding out hope that this will be contained unless drastic measures are taken. I do medical courier work, and I think I worked my last day today until this is all smoothed out. They're still doing it, but I have lifelong asthma. I'd rather live than keep this job.

I started reading your article which by the way was great but was too long so I must've read 4-5 paragraphs before clicking off but I'll read more later. Also, I had asthma for 6 years as a child so if any of us catch this virus we could die young because of our weak immune system. Stay safe man.

It is a long read, but worth it. I wish everyone on earth would read it and see that it's not hopeless, but they need to stop being morons.
GoodBehavior
Senior

Post#164 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:Too much fearmongering. I have siblings, who normally don't even talk to me, begin to "educate" me with what's going on and how bad it is.

It's always great to get opinions of experts, but there are still things that we don't know about the virus that aren't addressed in this article. We don't really know what the long-term effects of the virus are. For example, the virus that causes chickenpox can remain dormant in your nerve tissue and cause you to develop shingles later in life. Coronavirus can really attack the lungs, and it's still way too early to tell whether or not people's lungs fully recover or are irrevocably damaged, not to mention whether it has a potential aftershock like chickenpox.

Also, he emphasized the importance of social distancing and vaccination (namely Flu vaccines) to help keep hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. Unfortunately we've got a growing anti-vax movement in the US and we've got a lot of people who are very dismissive of the veracity and severity of the virus (thanks in no small part to many of our elected officials). This isn't just going to disappear out of thin air, but we've got a lot of people acting like these essential containment strategies are unnecessary burdens on their way of life.

And I have family and friends who work in healthcare and a whole lot of them have expressed their anxiety due to the under-preparedness of their workplaces.

That's why I'm saying this isn't close to being over and it will keep getting worse by the day.

I have families in the medical field, as well. And to me, it's been taken out of context. Doctors, nurses, physician assistant, etc. were already stressed and overworked BEFORE the coronavirus epidemic. The virus only made their situation that more dire. If we take a step back, I think we realize that here in the US, it's not bad at all. I am not saying their warnings are exaggerated but it needs to be understood in their strange backdrop (ie. super stressed out prior to the outbreak)

In the US, bed capacity (at this point) remains sufficient. Washington was the epicenter and has managed fine. New York is the lone exception, but lots of temporary solutions are being looked at. And we'll have to see. The rest of the country remains in very good shape, from a bed capacity standpoint. The concern only really shows up when the bed capacity is limited. I don't think we will reach that point.

With social distancing, this virus will peter out in about a month. It works in Wuhan, it's working in South Korea. The lesson we should learn from Italy and Spain is to take social distancing seriously. Besides some minor infraction (florida beach, california beach), people have generally been adhering to the warnings. By April 7, we should see things getting better.

Now, if it doesn't get better. It will be a mandatory lockdown. In that scenario, it will push out the virus containment for another month.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#165 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:I'm estimating 110-120k infected and around 1600 dead in the U.S by the end of April until things begin smoothing over.

That's a rosy projection. I think it will be far worse. I think there are probably at least that many infected or have already been infected. And probably a lot of deaths unaccounted for and marked as pneumonia or something else before we really started tracking it, and probably even since.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#166 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 pm

This is a good link. If this is accurate, if we can do shelter in place for 12 weeks, and many places have already started, it will help, but anything less than that it looks bad. Click on your state. https://covidactnow.org/
MrMiyagi

Post#167 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

I have families in the medical field, as well. And to me, it's been taken out of context.Doctors, nurses, physician assistant, etc. were already stressed and overworked BEFORE the coronavirus epidemic. The virus only made their situation that more dire. If we take a step back, I think we realize that here in the US, it's not bad at all. I am not saying their warnings are exaggerated but it needs to be understood in their strange backdrop (ie. super stressed out prior to the outbreak)

In the US, bed capacity (at this point) remains sufficient. Washington was the epicenter and has managed fine. New York is the lone exception, but lots of temporary solutions are being looked at. And we'll have to see. The rest of the country remains in very good shape, from a bed capacity standpoint. The concern only really shows up when the bed capacity is limited. I don't think we will reach that point.

With social distancing, this virus will peter out in about a month. It works in Wuhan, it's working in South Korea. The lesson we should learn from Italy and Spain is to take social distancing seriously. Besides some minor infraction (florida beach, california beach), people have generally been adhering to the warnings. By April 7, we should see things getting better.

Now, if it doesn't get better. It will be a mandatory lockdown. In that scenario, it will push out the virus containment for another month.

I have no words for the absurd dismissal taking place in the highlighted portion. Hey, overworked and stressed people, have some more work and stress. Stop complaining, you already work a lot and have stress, what's a bit more?

:noway:
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
GoodBehavior
Senior

Post#168 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:It's always great to get opinions of experts, but there are still things that we don't know about the virus that aren't addressed in this article. We don't really know what the long-term effects of the virus are. For example, the virus that causes chickenpox can remain dormant in your nerve tissue and cause you to develop shingles later in life. Coronavirus can really attack the lungs, and it's still way too early to tell whether or not people's lungs fully recover or are irrevocably damaged, not to mention whether it has a potential aftershock like chickenpox.

I have families in the medical field, as well. And to me, it's been taken out of context.Doctors, nurses, physician assistant, etc. were already stressed and overworked BEFORE the coronavirus epidemic. The virus only made their situation that more dire. If we take a step back, I think we realize that here in the US, it's not bad at all. I am not saying their warnings are exaggerated but it needs to be understood in their strange backdrop (ie. super stressed out prior to the outbreak)

I have no words for the absurd dismissal taking place in the highlighted portion. Hey, overworked and stressed people, have some more work and stress. Stop complaining, you already work a lot and have stress, what's a bit more?

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Medical professionals are in dire situation because the healthcare system skewed towards private hospital profits and bottom line. Their concerns about being overworked is nothing new. Adding coronavirus on top of that makes it worse.

You have to take what they talked about the virus in their context to extrapolate how bad it is for the general population, which is DIFFERENT. It's apple and oranges
MrMiyagi

Post#169 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Medical professionals are in dire situation because the healthcare system skewed towards private hospital profits and bottom line. Their concerns about being overworked is nothing new. Adding coronavirus on top of that makes it worse.

You have to take what they talked about in their context to extrapolate how bad it is for the general population, which is DIFFERENT.

Them not being able to adequately respond to the infected population exacerbates the issue for the general population. Being understaffed and under-equipped and overcapacity (a lot of hospitals are already operating near capacity and have been trying to find ways to clear room, which has it's own ramifications) is bad not just for them, but for the rest of us. How is that unclear?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,629

Post#170 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:

You have to take what they talked about the virus in their context to extrapolate how bad it is for the general population, which is DIFFERENT. It's apple and oranges

I'm still not clear why it's not as bad at all.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#171 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 am

Read on Twitter
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#172 » by cberry78 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Prophetic....
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#173 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Trump is going to try and lift restrictions to get people back to work despite the virus exponentially accelerating over the coming week(s). Please don't buy into it. He and his billionaire cronies are only looking out for themselves and their pressure money. STAY IN YOUR HOME. We all need to listen to scientists and doctors, not a full-blown moron that thought staring into an eclipse without eye protection was a good idea.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,629

Post#174 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:41 pm

I thought Trump was on a very delayed but right path towards further restrictions but this talk about loosening restrictions is totally the wrong move. My hope is that this talk is just to spruce up the markets a little bit and not actual intent to open things back up.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#175 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:Trump is going to try and lift restrictions to get people back to work despite the virus exponentially accelerating over the coming week(s). Please don't buy into it. He and his billionaire cronies are only looking out for themselves and their pressure money. STAY IN YOUR HOME. We all need to listen to scientists and doctors, not a full-blown moron that thought staring into an eclipse without eye protection was a good idea.

He's hoping by easter so people can all go pack into churches and celebrate together. Phenomenal plan.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#176 » by cberry78 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:31 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:Trump is going to try and lift restrictions to get people back to work despite the virus exponentially accelerating over the coming week(s). Please don't buy into it. He and his billionaire cronies are only looking out for themselves and their pressure money. STAY IN YOUR HOME. We all need to listen to scientists and doctors, not a full-blown moron that thought staring into an eclipse without eye protection was a good idea.

He's hoping by easter so people can all go pack into churches and celebrate together. Phenomenal plan.
I'm pretty sure at this point he actually thinks he is the Evangelical's second coming and that he can turn this into another "Easter miracle"....regardless of how many people die.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#177 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm pretty sure at this point he actually thinks he is the Evangelical's second coming and that he can turn this into another "Easter miracle"....regardless of how many people die.

He doesn't care about anyone, including Evangelicals. All he does is simply to appease the billionaire class. This is a desperate move to save the market, which if millions die and the healthcare system completely crashes, will fail hard anyway. So it's either freeze things while until it's safe to start repairing and take a major hit to the economy, or just say f*** it, open things back up and hope it saves the economy at the cost of millions and millions of lives, and almost definitely still crashing the **** stock market and economy. He doesn't care about "poor" people at all, so he's going with the latter.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#178 » by cberry78 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He doesn't care about anyone, including Evangelicals. All he does is simply to appease the billionaire class. This is a desperate move to save the market, which if millions die and the healthcare system completely crashes, will fail hard anyway. So it's either freeze things while until it's safe to start repairing and take a major hit to the economy, or just say f*** it, open things back up and hope it saves the economy at the cost of millions and millions of lives, and almost definitely still crashing the **** stock market and economy. He doesn't care about "poor" people at all, so he's going with the latter.

I totally agree, he's in this for entirely his own good. But he's a con-man first and foremost, he always has been, and he's been doing it for so long that he always has multiple cons going at once. He's been lining his pockets (and those of his cronies as well) at the cost of the American people since 2016, that's not going to stop now. He's also savvy enough - or his advisors are - to know that his "base" is what is going to keep him in office and keep his con afloat, so whatever the Evangelical's believe him to be is just going to play into, not only his con, but his narcissistic self-delusions as well.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#179 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:10 am

cberry78 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
cberry78 wrote:I'm pretty sure at this point he actually thinks he is the Evangelical's second coming and that he can turn this into another "Easter miracle"....regardless of how many people die.

I totally agree, he's in this for entirely his own good. But he's a con-man first and foremost, he always has been, and he's been doing it for so long that he always has multiple cons going at once. He's been lining his pockets (and those of his cronies as well) at the cost of the American people since 2016, that's not going to stop now. He's also savvy enough - or his advisors are - to know that his "base" is what is going to keep him in office and keep his con afloat, so whatever the Evangelical's believe him to be is just going to play into, not only his con, but his narcissistic self-delusions as well.

It's only going to get worse if they mess around with shelter in place orders. Luckily most of the bigger cities have or are in the process of issuing them. I'm glad it's up to the states. They will work in their best interests. In Texas' case, the mayors of the biggest cities have issued them. And luckily right after that assistant governor came out with his insane statement last night about dying to save the economy.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#180 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:He doesn't care about anyone, including Evangelicals. All he does is simply to appease the billionaire class. This is a desperate move to save the market, which if millions die and the healthcare system completely crashes, will fail hard anyway. So it's either freeze things while until it's safe to start repairing and take a major hit to the economy, or just say f*** it, open things back up and hope it saves the economy at the cost of millions and millions of lives, and almost definitely still crashing the **** stock market and economy. He doesn't care about "poor" people at all, so he's going with the latter.

It's only going to get worse if they mess around with shelter in place orders. Luckily most of the bigger cities have or are in the process of issuing them. I'm glad it's up to the states. They will work in their best interests. In Texas' case, the mayors of the biggest cities have issued them. And luckily right after that assistant governor came out with his insane statement last night about dying to save the economy.

I saw that dying to save the economy thing earlier. Maybe these idiots suggesting that should go ahead and die, cause that would save the economy for sure. They are the idiots that are destroying the economy for their own benefit. It's sickening. Money over human life, but what would you expect from these deep-seeded late-stage capitalists? Hopefully, at the end of this, enough people can clearly see what these oligarchs are all about. Hopefully, we can begin a discussion and start plans on humanity-based policy instead of this corporate-based ****.

Return to Phoenix Suns