Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#81 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 am

kuclas wrote:We don’t know how dominant in today’s switch heavy wings With length pseudo double teaming to help out on Shaq. How would he do? Probably still a beast. But he would be at a more disadvantage having to handle the ball in low post with the defensive wings cheating in.

lakers would still have enough spacing with outside shooting for Shaq to be unstoppable. Kobe, Robert Horry and fisher/fox on the perimeter.

So Lakers championship teams were well balanced even for this modern era.

The modern centers can’t dominate like Shaq. Closest is Embiid and he hasn’t got a clue how to find the open man when doubled 70% of the time. Or maybe embiid doesn’t had the right fit around him. I do think Shaq would have a huge problem Ben Simmons were his point guard and Horace grant was at the 4 slot.

But Shaq just special. He was probably robbed of 3 nba mvps. For him to have just one is a crime.

The switch heavy wings would be utterly annihilated. Shaq was one of the few post players of his era that got the full mob treatment in there even before it became standard tactics, and he was just an earth mover at a time when he might easily be having to move 2 260lb bodies in there. He was much more saavy and mobile than people gave him credit for when making the catch, and when he went, all you could do as a defender was ride the wave and maybe try to make a last second play on the ball. Or flop like Vlade.

The real problem for Shaq would be on the other end with the extreme pick and roll spam/ constant switching and 3pt bombing. Shaq could put up more of a fight than could a Muresan character, but he would still be attacked relentlessly unless you protected him with a zone scheme that let him just lurk in the paint.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#82 » by Pennebaker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 am

KonKrete wrote:Because boys of that size and athletic ability in America are usually pushed into being Offensive tackles and Defensive ends. Ending up being a army brat and moving around a lot probably helped shield Shaq from having that happen to him.

Not if they're 7 feet tall.

The tallest player in the NFL is usually only around 6'9.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#83 » by HEAT33 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 am

Shaq had a wide frame, most other 7 footers would look fat as hell at Shaqs rookie season at 305 pounds.

325 pounds shaq was still athletic and even 350 pound shaq was quick for his size.

Any other center at 350 pounds probably can’t dunk coz he would be so fat.

Shaq is a once in a lifetime, maybe in another 50-70 years we will get another Shaq
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#84 » by PDX MM » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 am

The brief time he wasn't injured Greg Oden showed his game was all about overpowering others. Certainly not on Shaq's level and it doesn't surprise me at all that another like him hasn't come around. Shaq was very unique.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#85 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 am

Beethoven wrote:Cousins perhaps was the closest thing to resembling Shaq's game.

This
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#86 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 am

HEAT33 wrote:
Any other center at 350 pounds probably can’t dunk coz he would be so fat.

Oliver Miller does not believe you:

BigShaq34
Sixth Man
And1: 2,849

Post#87 » by BigShaq34 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:It would have been interesting to see Boban play in Shaq's era.

Jonas Valanciunas would have been better in Shaq's era than the era he plays in now.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#88 » by DS17 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 am

12footrim wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq

I think he's his own different kind of player and certainly a lot more skilled with the ball. Shaq was just pure size and athleticism as much as anything. It just surprises me in 25 years we haven't seen someone you could at least call a poor mans Shaq that was 7 foot 280+ like. Heck shaq was more 325 with the lakers and still athletic.

WHAT?! You haven't seen Shaq's post moves then have you.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#89 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:45 am

There were probably a lot of shaqs that fell through the cracks because the league went away from interior post play.

Bigs league wide only seem as valuable as their perimeter skill.
Today shaq may not be as useful as in in the past.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,073

Post#90 » by og15 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:05 am

No, not surprised at all. Before Shaq, there was a very long span before the other Shaq like player in Wilt, so I'm not really expecting to see Shaq like players in general. When they come around, it's a treat, not an expectation.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,073

Post#91 » by og15 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:11 am

bearadonisdna wrote:There were probably a lot of shaqs that fell through the cracks because the league went away from interior post play.

Bigs league wide only seem as valuable as their perimeter skill.
Today shaq may not be as useful as in in the past.

Really? Really? So all those Shaq's were in hiding when Shaq was actually playing, but then when the league went away from post play, all these hidden Shaq's come about, but were just falling through the cracks ;)

If there were players who could do what Shaq can do and had his size and athleticism, they wouldn't fall through any cracks. That doesn't mean they would get used so strictly as back to the basket iso guys, but you don't even need to be used that way to put up a lot of points inside as a big. The way spacing works right now, a big with that level of ability on the right team can do so much damage from post-seals, pick and roll, offensive rebounding, and if they could shoot FT's, wow, then any isolation would just be gravy on top.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Post#92 » by dk1115 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 am

I'm not surprised at all. Shaq was a once in a generation type of player, and the way the league plays now, there really aren't many kids trying to play like Shaq, even if they can run and jump like him.
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 465

Post#93 » by 2LeTTeRS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:48 am

Hard to believe at this time; but I really thought Eddy Curry would be that guy. I fell in love with him on the Fox Sports show "Preps" and seriously believed he had the size and talent to be special. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#94 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am

Before we can get another Shaq, we need to have another 7'3" 300+ lb guy who can move like a ballet dancer and hit like a Mack truck. THEN you have to imbue this already rare person with Shaq's IQ and competitive spirit and just a little bit of mean (well, actually a whole lotta mean.) When you have that without a history of serious injuries, you'll have a CHANCE of getting another Shaq. Plus, I'm not even sure such a player would be allowed to shine in this 3-point obsessed league.
"The last domino falls here!"
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#95 » by Trey24 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 am

AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:
12footrim wrote:come into the league in a quarter century plus since he has? I am a little actually even with the center position being more limited the last 5 or so years that's still a lot of time. I wouldn't have thought we would have seen another Shaq but at least someone that was 7 foot highly athletic and in the 280 range. It really doesn't even require a ton of shooting skill, just a catch and dunk guy that rebounds and blocks shots.

Who would even be the closest facsimile to Shaq the last 20 years? I can't even think of a 7 foot 280+ athletic player off the top of my head.

Zion might be the closest thing to weight and athletic ability and he's 6-6.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/25/21151896/zion-williamson-shaquille-oneal-pelicans-lakers

Drummond is listed at 7' 275lbs. Obviously he's nowhere near as dominant as Shaq was, but probably the closest comparison in terms of size and athleticism.

EDIT: Prime Dwight is probably an even closer comparison

Shaq was WAY bigger than both of them. The first time I ever saw Shaq in person I was amazed. He is the largest athlete I have ever seen. I was also lucky enough to stand toe to toe with Yao but Shaq was just so much bigger even though he was 5 inches shorter.

Also, to those of you saying Shaq was all muscle and no skill, y'all really don't know what you are talking about. Shaq had an elite back to the basket game and could score well with both hands. While he did bully his opponents quite a bit, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without his elite skill level.

I would also agree that Zion is probably the closest thing to Shaq in terms of size and strength advantage offensively that I have seen come along. Man if only Zion was 7 ft wow.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#96 » by durden_tyler » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am

There was no Shaq before Shaq so yeah...
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Cuban_Linx
Rookie
And1: 1,372

Post#97 » by Cuban_Linx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am

[quote="SmashMouthRod"]A player like him probably wouldnt be as coveted in todays game considering the brute force he played with. His dominance isnt probably viewed the way it should because he didnt always maintain his conditioning; didnt improve his game (mainly his free throw shooting) which probably factored into why he didnt completely dominate an era. Anytime you have teams signing guys who are scrubs just to use their six fouls on a guy; it means they have very little hope of stopping him. He probably would have about 4 additional championships if he made free throws.

A lot of his aggressive post ups would probably be called as offensive fouls or even techs in todays game. In this era teams would game plan to flop at the slightest bump from him in the paint; or sag on him from 12 ft or deeper probably making it significantly harder for him to have the same impact. He had absolutely no range on his jumper which seems to be a must for 1-5 at this point. He did create a lot of spacing with how dominant he was in the paint. Dwight Howard in Orlando similarly was able to create spacing on the floor like Shaq; with defenses focused on loading up to deny easy dunks/layups off isos or alley oops. Obviously Dwight was more iso face up finesse with a hint of power; while Shaq was a bowling ball post player with a hint of finesse.[/quote]

I already disagree with just about everything you said, but the bolded part specifically I don't understand. Have you completely missed the insane (justified, but still) hype around Zion or something?
"If I walk outside somebody might just hit me with their car, or say anything negative to me."
- KD on not going outside anymore.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,455

Post#98 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Beethoven wrote:Cousins perhaps was the closest thing to resembling Shaq's game.

He certainly had the size and athletic skills to be discussed as a comp.

I mean, yes and no.

Cousins, by any other standard than Shaq, is a massive man. But that said, he's closer to 6'10"-6'11" than to being a 7 footer, and when he was carrying around 280 it was generally considered too much. Maybe 265-270 would be a good strength weight. One of the most powerful players of his era, but I still remember him running into late career Shaq when he was a...rookie? young at least, and he just bounced off the immense wall that Shaq had become.

And athletically, Cousins was freakish with his quickness and ballhandling for a player his size, but his weakness was always that he could not jump. Shaq was never quick like that, but his leaping ability as a young man was ridiculous at that size and he annually led the league in dunks forever. They both had exceptional athletic traits for players their size, but they were kind of a study in opposites traitwise.

Cousins has played in excess of 300 pounds, at 275 that was about his leanest of his career post olympics. Not sure why 3 inches matters beyond just the magical "7" being listed there. Beyond that boogie also has a lot of the guard like skills and mobility we think of with prime shaq. Shaq on another tier of course, but he's a pretty good comp
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#99 » by KGtabake » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:03 am

No. Generational talents are called like that for a reason. Once in a generation.
Shaq was that generational talent. There can't be another one.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#100 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
He certainly had the size and athletic skills to be discussed as a comp.

I mean, yes and no.

Cousins, by any other standard than Shaq, is a massive man. But that said, he's closer to 6'10"-6'11" than to being a 7 footer, and when he was carrying around 280 it was generally considered too much. Maybe 265-270 would be a good strength weight. One of the most powerful players of his era, but I still remember him running into late career Shaq when he was a...rookie? young at least, and he just bounced off the immense wall that Shaq had become.

And athletically, Cousins was freakish with his quickness and ballhandling for a player his size, but his weakness was always that he could not jump. Shaq was never quick like that, but his leaping ability as a young man was ridiculous at that size and he annually led the league in dunks forever. They both had exceptional athletic traits for players their size, but they were kind of a study in opposites traitwise.

Cousins has played in excess of 300 pounds, at 275 that was about his leanest of his career post olympics. Not sure why 3 inches matters beyond just the magical "7" being listed there. Beyond that boogie also has a lot of the guard like skills and mobility we think of with prime shaq. Shaq on another tier of course, but he's a pretty good comp

If we include shorter guys though, then there are more than that. Bob Lanier played at 280 lbs consistently, Wayne Embry was even shorter and just as heavy, Andre Drummond was very thick too. I don't know how much they weighed, but you also have guys like Darryl Dawkins and Nikola Jokic.

None of them was as athletic as Shaq though, Cousins included.

Return to The General Board