Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#121 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
70sFan wrote:No, Shaq had variety of post moves. If you think that he was one dimensional, then we just have to doubt your knowledge about Shaq.

You guys are crazy if you don't acknowledge most of his success was purely from his size strength and athletic ability. It's obvious and even his post "moves" usually derived from putting his big ass into someone or some form of leaning/ elbowing them out of the way first because he had them by 80 or 100lbs or simply jumping higher. There was nothing finesse or shooting about most of his game. He couldn't make a jump shot or anyshot more than 5 feet way. Being bigger and overpowering or jumping higher than them isn't skill.

I guess if you consider his foot work and soft hands as part of his athleticism then ok...

The guy's agility, mobility, and touch around the rim were all exceptional.

Those were the ancillary parts to what actually fueled the majority of his success. His size, strength and athletic ability was clearly driving most of it that's all I've said. I don't know who can really disagree with that with a straight face.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#122 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 pm

It’s crazy how many 6’10, 270 pounders are getting compared to Shaq. You guys need to find a video of Shaq playing against people like Dwight Howard and see how massive the size gap really is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#123 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm

12footrim wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
You guys are crazy if you don't acknowledge most of his success was purely from his size strength and athletic ability. It's obvious and even his post "moves" usually derived from putting his big ass into someone or some form of leaning/ elbowing them out of the way first because he had them by 80 or 100lbs or simply jumping higher. There was nothing finesse or shooting about most of his game. He couldn't make a jump shot or anyshot more than 5 feet way. Being bigger and overpowering or jumping higher than them isn't skill.

I guess if you consider his foot work and soft hands as part of his athleticism then ok...

Those were the ancillary parts to what actually fueled the majority of his success. His size, strength and athletic ability was clearly driving most of it that's all I've said. I don't know who can really disagree with that with a straight face.

You take all the and you take away the touch and shaq's a big guy bricking shots at the rim and no real threat. Shaq's skills with his size can't be separated.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#124 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:43 pm

12footrim wrote:
70sFan wrote:
12footrim wrote:
I'm 40 I watched Shaq since LSU. Most of his post moves consisted of bullying a guy 100lbs lighter and dunking it. Which is great but lets not pretend he was skyhooking shots. His game was mostly derived from being a physical beast, so much so that teams just beat up on him trying to stop him with fouls and put him on the line where he was terrible.

No, Shaq had variety of post moves. If you think that he was one dimensional, then we just have to doubt your knowledge about Shaq.

Then I seriously doubt that you watched him in his prime. He had outstanding footwork, he used his body perfectly, he used pump fakes really well and he had soft touch around the rim. Not to mention that he had good handles and was decent passer. Being big and athletic is not enough to be top 10 player ever.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#125 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:45 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:It’s crazy how many 6’10, 270 pounders are getting compared to Shaq. You guys need to find a video of Shaq playing against people like Dwight Howard and see how massive the size gap really is.

I mean that was shaq +60-100 pounds from his starting weight if we watch howard vs shaq. There's still a huge gap there, but I think most people assume rightly that shaq today would have stayed closer to that 300 weight and not turned into the monster from the early 00's.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#126 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:45 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:It’s crazy how many 6’10, 270 pounders are getting compared to Shaq. You guys need to find a video of Shaq playing against people like Dwight Howard and see how massive the size gap really is.

Yeah, Shaq was much bigger than Dwight/Cousins/Drummond. People say that it's "only" 3 inches but when you see them it's clear they are not comparable at all.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Post#127 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm

The NBA changed the rules because of Shaq, specifically to make sure we wouldn't see another Shaq. So, no.... I'm not surprised.

The NBA wants cute, cuddly, fan friendly little guys like Steph Curry and Tre Young to be successful because they are more accessible to the fans. The NBA is worth 10's of billions, so that strategy is working.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#128 » by Last Guardian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm

If we are talking physicals only:

Eddy Curry probably the closest. He was a bull, but a little fatter and not as well built as Shaq. Still though, a monster and used it well only on offense.

Notables:

Nene

Kwame Brown

Andrew Bynum

Greg Oden
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#129 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

I mean that was shaq +60-100 pounds from his starting weight if we watch howard vs shaq. There's still a huge gap there, but I think most people assume rightly that shaq today would have stayed closer to that 300 weight and not turned into the monster from the early 00's.

Shaq got down to like 325-330 a bunch of times, and that's realistically on the low end for him as far as what he could get to as an adult, and he was still looked like an adult playing ball with children next to people like Dwight.

Almost no 20 year old stays at the same weight they were as their body fills out and matures.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#130 » by LascelleL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Some of yall didnt watch Shaq or dont understand the game of basketball and it shows.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#131 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You take all the and you take away the touch and shaq's a big guy bricking shots at the rim and no real threat. Shaq's skills with his size can't be separated.

Eric Montross had "soft" hands and great footwork. There is clearly a bigger difference that separates here..
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 pm

70sFan wrote:
12footrim wrote:
70sFan wrote:No, Shaq had variety of post moves. If you think that he was one dimensional, then we just have to doubt your knowledge about Shaq.

Then I seriously doubt that you watched him in his prime. He had outstanding footwork, he used his body perfectly, he used pump fakes really well and he had soft touch around the rim. Not to mention that he had good handles and was decent passer. Being big and athletic is not enough to be top 10 player ever.

Well you'd be wrong then. There wasn't much else to do from 1993-2002 than watch sports. No real internet, lame message boards, etc. I watched entire meaningless games where as people today stream the highlights and look up the stats.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#133 » by Beethoven » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
HEAT33 wrote:
Any other center at 350 pounds probably can’t dunk coz he would be so fat.

Oliver Miller does not believe you:

wow. now that you put these photos side by side i cant believe my eyes. he may be the first pseudo morbidly obese person playing professional NBA basketball ever
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
70sFan
RealGM

Post#134 » by 70sFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 pm

12footrim wrote:
70sFan wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Well you'd be wrong then. There wasn't much else to do from 1993-2002 than watch sports. No real internet, lame message boards, etc. I watched entire meaningless games where as people today stream the highlights and look up the stats.

Then maybe you don't remember them well?
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#135 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 pm

12footrim wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Eric Montross had "soft" hands and great footwork. There is clearly a bigger difference that separates here..

Mark Eaton was likely as strong and big as shaq at least pre monster shaq. Yet he wasn't able to bully ball people like shaq.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 pm

70sFan wrote:
12footrim wrote:
70sFan wrote:Then I seriously doubt that you watched him in his prime. He had outstanding footwork, he used his body perfectly, he used pump fakes really well and he had soft touch around the rim. Not to mention that he had good handles and was decent passer. Being big and athletic is not enough to be top 10 player ever.

Then maybe you don't remember them well?

Maybe you don't, you are obviously older than I am.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#137 » by chipchipperson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:17 pm

bynum wasn't as athletic as shaq but hes probably the closest comparison.7 ft close to 300lbs
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Mark Eaton was likely as strong and big as shaq at least pre monster shaq. Yet he wasn't able to bully ball people like shaq.

Mark Eaton the guy who was a car mechanic,walk on who didn't start playing basketball until 22 years old and averaged 2ppg in college. Yeah, these are the same things. He was so athletic.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#139 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm

People are sleeping on Shaq.

I can understand the kids not knowing because they didn’t see it when it happened.

Shaq was highly skilled for a big man of that era. Saying he couldn’t shoot farther than 5 feet out is stupid....he didn’t have to!!!

Shaq a rim runner defensive rebounding Center in this NBA would be the stupidest way to use him. Feed that **** monster on the low block and the other teams Centers would foul out in the first half with today’s players and rules.

Had he kept his weight under 3 bills his entire career he would’ve been the GOAT.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#140 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pm

He is probably the only guy in the history of the world with that kind of size, athleticism, agility, and speed. Skills-wise, he was a very good ball handler for that size, great passer, great touch/hands, excellent footwork. His physical attributes contributed a lot to his success, but he wasnt unskilled or anything.

But yea, will we ever see a 7 foot guy built like a brick wall who is the strongest player, but who is also the most athletic/agile big man in the nba? Probably not, let alone one with skills.

Return to The General Board