Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal as teammates.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,077
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal as teammates. 

Post#21 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:36 pm

It's a lot more reasonable to get mad when your teammate is young, and has poor shot selection. MJ didn't suffer from poor shot selection, it's a lot easier to swallow being frozen out of a play by the greatest scorer of all time, as opposed to a guy that wants to take heat check long jumpers and 3's, and try to be the hero when he's a lot less efficient than you are overall.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#22 » by pipfan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:38 pm

I agree here-MJ is the all time NBA alpha male. The only guys who MAYBE would have led a team over him are Russell and Magic-but they would have deferred to MJ on the court. Shaq would love the attention and ride his way to 5 rings in 6 years (assume an injury at some point). On the court, I can't imagine a more lethal duo
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,362

Post#23 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:47 pm

MJ dominated and won titles with a way over the hill Bill Cartwright (seriously look up his stats during the first threepeat) and Luc Longley playing the starting Center. Upgrade those stiffs with Shaq? Bulls Maybe win 10 titles.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#24 » by CjayC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm

I think it could work. The mechanics of the relationship would start off differently. Jordan was already established, Kobe was coming into his own during the Lakers 3-peat. It was well within both of their(Kobe & Shaq) rights to believe they were the alpha dog, but I doubt it would be the same with MJ. I think Shaq would gladly defer to MJ's leadership.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,825

Post#25 » by OriginalRed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

The question isn't how successful they'd be (a team with prime Jordan and Shaq would be almost unbeatable), it'd be how long until Shaq drives MJ crazy and vice versa.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#26 » by wutevahung » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Optms wrote:Jordan is the ultimate alpha. Shaq would have to fall in line. Don't see it working for more than a season.

I think depends on the situation. If MJ was MJ, and Bulls drafted Shaq in 94, then ya he would fall in line of course, because that's before Shaq became Shaq, but MJ was already MJ.

If 2002 Lakers drafted MJ, then I don't know, I would see they have a lot of the same problems Shaq and Kobe had.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#27 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 pm

wutevahung wrote:
Optms wrote:Jordan is the ultimate alpha. Shaq would have to fall in line. Don't see it working for more than a season.

I think depends on the situation. If MJ was MJ, and Bulls drafted Shaq in 94, then ya he would fall in line of course, because that's before Shaq became Shaq, but MJ was already MJ.

If 2002 Lakers drafted MJ, then I don't know, I would see they have a lot of the same problems Shaq and Kobe had.

1992 draft for shaq.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,772

Post#28 » by IG2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 pm

*assuming both come into the league at roughly the same time*

They will win a lot, obviously, because they are great players. But anyone who thinks they wouldn't have the same issues Kobe/Shaq did is being naive. MJ was a shoot-first player who was never taking a back seat to anyone. And Shaq likes to be fed-first. MJ had no tolerance for laziness and Shaq hates being overshadowed by anyone. Shaq would've resented MJ for his shooting, his popularity and pouted about it both behind the scenes and in the media. MJ wasn't going to put up with that from a guy who didn't work hard. Like Shaq/Kobe, MJ/Shaq would've eventually led to a split too.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#29 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 pm

If its a team of Michael and Shaq with shooters everywhere or you simply add Shaq to replace Will Purdue/Luc Longley on the Bulls. It would have been ridiculous to match up against. They wouldve won about 7-8. If we think of the times that Shaqs lakers or Magic teams lost while Michael was in the league; it was to Mike himself or Malone's Jazz. Jordan wasnt playing during the 2 titles for Houston or 2004 so I wont count the loss to the Pistons here. Dudes like Kukoc, Buechler, Kerr or Paxson, Hodges, BJ Armstrong wouldve been religiously wide open. This doesnt take into account who the team wouldve picked up as free agents or drafted if they had Shaq.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#30 » by tondi123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm

They would have been great during games but not sure how well their practice habits would mesh.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#31 » by Dupp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Capn'O wrote:Complete and utter destruction.

Probably in every way. They’d be the best duo ever by far but they may also kill each other
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,446

Post#32 » by Myth » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:31 pm

I think there are 2 main factors that make it better as a fit than Shaq/Kobe.

1. MJ being better makes it so Shaq is more likely to accept deferring.

2. MJ was more mature than Kobe entering the league, making it less likely to escalate a feud.

There is a chance that Shaq eventually leaves to prove himself without Jordan, but I don't think Jordan would have pushed him out the way Kobe did, and they likely more than 3peated first.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#33 » by Pennebaker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 pm

AMW27 wrote:How do you think this pairing would work out?

I believe it could be just like the Shaq/Kobe pairing. It's a possibility that it could Be even worser than the Shaq/Kobe pairing. Neither one of then would probably be willing to be robin just even for one season.

What does everyone else think?

It probably wouldn't have worked. At least not in their younger prime ages.

Kobe tolerated being Shaq's sidekick only because he was very young, not a high draft pick and still earning his stripes. He didn't have any leverage. But Jordan was a celebrated top selection that was itching to be let loose and he was never going to be anyone's sidekick. According to The Jordan Rules he wouldn't tolerate anyone threatening his field goal attempts and he also required that he be the main reason for winning. So I believe Shaq and Jordan would've feuded much like Shaq and Kobe eventually did, but in their first year together, instead of 4-5-6 years later.
Jayt99
Rookie
And1: 1,552

Post#34 » by Jayt99 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Shaq and Jordan would’ve come to blows quicker than Kobe and Shaq.
AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

Post#35 » by AMW27 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
AMW27 wrote:How do you think this pairing would work out?

I believe it could be just like the Shaq/Kobe pairing. It's a possibility that it could Be even worser than the Shaq/Kobe pairing. Neither one of then would probably be willing to be robin just even for one season.

What does everyone else think?

It probably wouldn't have worked. At least not in their younger prime ages.

Kobe tolerated being Shaq's sidekick only because he was very young, not a high draft pick and still earning his stripes. He didn't have any leverage. But Jordan was a celebrated top selection that was itching to be let loose and he was never going to be anyone's sidekick. According to The Jordan Rules he wouldn't tolerate anyone threatening his field goal attempts and he also required that he be the main reason for winning. So I believe Shaq and Jordan would've feuded much like Shaq and Kobe eventually did, but in their first year together, instead of 4-5-6 years later.
I agree with this. Both guys were alpha males coming into the league. As long as Jordan is a great player he wouls never be willing to take a backseat and be Robin to Shaq.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#36 » by Run DLC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 pm

They’d be unstoppable, but i don’t see it working out. Their egos are too big. Shaq loves attention, and I don’t think he’d be okay with MJ getting all the props and individual accolades. I’m sure MJ wouldn’t be okay playing second fiddle to anyone. He’s the ultimate alpha.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#37 » by Soulcatcher33 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 pm

They'd win while together, but it's hard to see it lasting too long. Shaq and his fragile ego and such.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#38 » by JayMKE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:26 pm

I feel like Shaq would be more willing to defer to Shaq and vice versa given the age difference, they would have been a GOAT combo for sure.
FREE GIANNIS
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#39 » by euroleague » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm

I don't think Shaq would defer. Shaq was far more egotistical and fragile when he was younger than he was with Kobe.

I guess they win 4 straight, than Shaq leaves after his rookie contract is over.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#40 » by lakerz12 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:45 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i see this point. shaq and kobe couldn't make it work. but the dynamic would be different in some key ways.

1. jordan is older and had already been a champion and considered the best player in the game by the time shaq was drafted. kobe was a young player coming into his own and asserting himself.

2. jordan already had full control of that team to the point that his reach extended to other teams' personnel decisions (cough knicks).

3. the structure was set and shaq would have come into a triangle offense that was already a well oiled machine. i mean... if this team still has scottie handling the ball and facilitating too... flawless. they'd have been completely indefensible AND the best defensive team in the league. only injury or boredom could stop that group.

Return to The General Board