ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1221 » by crkone » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 pm

DigitalFool wrote:Why does it seem to me that we have such a high negative rate? Is this consistent with other states? Or is this just the standard that all people who had contact with a positive test get tested?

If you take the numbers as is, we aren't testing as positive as most states. Either we test more negative people than everyone else, we are lagging behind time-wise (we arrived later than most to the ball), we've done better at flattening the curve, or we just didn't have the ability to have that many positive cases with our poor public transportation/limited public gatherings.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#1222 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

crkone wrote: we've done better at flattening the curve, or we just didn't have the ability to have that many positive cases with our poor public transportation/limited public gatherings.

I think this is a feature and not a bug of Wisconsin. We've got a lot of space and even downtown we don't have nearly the density NYC does. And that density is where heavy public transportation is needed (subway, trains, etc.) such as NYC or Chicago.

You can probably also refer to California. Their caseload is a fraction of NYC's. Again perhaps because they aren't densely packed, even though a very large population.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1223 » by emunney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1224 » by emunney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm

673 new positive tests (36% jump in cumulative positive tests) and 7 new deaths here in Illinois in the past 24 hours. Getting real out here, folks.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#1225 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm

USA now tops the world in reported COVID cases.
Reported is the key word here, who knows how valid are the numbers other countries are reporting.
If I want to see a deceased rate I look at Singapore and Australia, those are two countries I know are anal about their statistics.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,377

Post#1226 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1227 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm

midranger wrote:FWIW, I’m hearing that deaths are well under reported here in the US.

Absolutely. Other countries are certainly under reporting and it's also happening here. Big time. Lots of COVID deaths being chalked up to the regular flu or pneumonia. Because they were never tested. And in some cases the numbers are being suppressed. There are some hospitals refusing to report (deaths and/or positive tests) due to "patient privacy". Which is b.s.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#1228 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
midranger wrote:FWIW, I’m hearing that deaths are well under reported here in the US.

Absolutely. Other countries are certainly under reporting and it's also happening here. Big time. Lots of COVID deaths being chalked up to the regular flu or pneumonia. Because they were never tested. And in some cases the numbers are being suppressed. There are some hospitals refusing to report (deaths and/or positive tests) due to "patient privacy". Which is b.s.

Also, collateral damages. For example the US last year had 400,000 people hospitalised because of the common flu, and the vast majority recovered because it's just the common flu, but they did need some hospital care. This year if all beds/ventilators/doctors are gone because of COVID, how many of them will recover?
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#1229 » by jute2003 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 pm

emunney wrote:673 new positive tests (36% jump in cumulative positive tests) and 7 new deaths here in Illinois in the past 24 hours. Getting real out here, folks.
I knew something seemed off with you.
only a fan, only an opinion
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,029

Post#1230 » by midranger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 pm

DigitalFool wrote:Why does it seem to me that we have such a high negative rate? Is this consistent with other states? Or is this just the standard that all people who had contact with a positive test get tested?

I don’t know who the hell they’re actually testing.

I know people who clearly have the virus. Fevers, cough, GI upset, anosmia and they can’t get tested.

I’m not sure how we’re selecting to test a population where 90% are negative when it’s so limited.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,029

Post#1231 » by midranger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 pm

Having people die of COVID in your hospital is bad PR. I guarantee the numbers are off by at least 100%.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1232 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Italy is the anomaly that is slightly over reporting deaths. Midranger said it may not be a significant amount but they are the weird case.

100% over reporting in the US, though? Damn. I trust you but that seems out there.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1233 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 pm

midranger wrote:

I don’t know who the hell they’re actually testing.

I know people who clearly have the virus. Fevers, cough, GI upset, anosmia and they can’t get tested.

I’m not sure how we’re selecting to test a population where 90% are negative when it’s so limited.
I've been wondering this exact thing.

I feel like years from now multiple books will be written with how **** this whole thing has been on multiple levels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1234 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 pm

It's ridiculous that we still don't have enough test kits. Now we're being told that there will be enough by the middle of next week. Pathetic.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1235 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 pm

Illinois was hitting somewhere in the 15% range of positives and to emunny’s post about the jump, they had a nearly 50% positive rate last night.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1236 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's ridiculous that we still don't have enough test kits. Now we're being told that there will be enough by the middle of next week. Pathetic.

The more disappointing thing to me was how quickly we got on board. We’re testing at a Korea rate per capita pretty much but instead of trying to contain a handful of cases, we are drinking from a firehose.

We need more tests but we may never have enough to monitor this now.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1237 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 am

Read on Twitter
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1238 » by stellation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:26 am

When I pour some granola into a bowl I say "Good lord!"
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1239 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 am

The lack of testing is certainly unconscionable. But I'm much, much angrier about the snails pace in which you're seeing production and distribution of medical equipment and PPE. I know of an MD who is trying to 3D print respirators and test them out because his hospital in Wisconsin is ALREADY OUT OF MASKS. I mean, tf is wrong with this **** country?
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1240 » by MrHoneycutt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:35 am

humanrefutation wrote:The lack of testing is certainly unconscionable. But I'm much, much angrier about the snails pace in which you're seeing production and distribution of medical equipment and PPE. I know of an MD who is trying to 3D print respirators and test them out because his hospital in Wisconsin is ALREADY OUT OF MASKS. I mean, tf is wrong with this **** country?

So much this. Even at a major hospital, they aren't even telling the EMPLOYEES what the numbers of our PPE reserves are, other than to say "we're OK for now." I've had multiple patients I couldn't see because there were no masks available, and all the triage tents are being erected awaiting hospital staff to be redeployed to them. Colleagues are worrying about how they have to reuse their masks all day, which is a major risk for aerisolized droplets in the room of any patient that is not yet COVID-19 negative. It's so unbelievable, and looms extremely large over flattening the curve.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks