Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#601 » by Guidus88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

well then the nba regular season is over....
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#602 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Guidus88 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

well then the nba regular season is over....

IMO the regular season should be over with the exception of evening out the games played so everybody ends the season with the same amount. Then go ahead with the draft at it's regularly scheduled time even if the playoffs are just getting started.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#603 » by Dewey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

First, in terms of the NBA draft, that's putting the cart way ahead of the horse. Second, as a long time fan, the draft is not as big of a deal as many wanna make it. There are far bigger fish to fry for the average american than the ##@&*% nba draft hahaha
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#604 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 am

Well maybe so but nba fans care and it would be nice to have something positive in the league to forget about the problems going on.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#605 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 pm

Neeva wrote:Well maybe so but nba fans care and it would be nice to have something positive in the league to forget about the problems going on.

I would love it if the draft were happening today, but better if I get one weeks notice to prepare.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,930

Post#606 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 am

Been doing a deep dive into the draft (took up some Wolves writing on the side too! :D ) Here's where I've arrived...

Wolves pick: Deni, Okongwu, BPA or if worse comes to worse Haliburton.
BK pick: Patrick Williams, Bey, or Pokusevski.
2nd: Jay Scrubb, Tre Jones or BPA. Haven't formed as much of a wish list there and it may be best to package the 2nd and someone like Vanderbilt/Spellman for a future asset to open up space below the tax and an extra roster spot.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#607 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 am

I can't get James Wiseman out of my mind. I think people have been too critical of him, like comparing him to say Hassan Whiteside. If all you look at is that he's a 7-footer, sure. If you think there's no potential for growth, sure. He could come into the league and play like Whiteside from Day 1.

But when I watch him, I see more. I see movement skills, passing ability and 3-point potential that put him on a different development trajectory than Whiteside. I'm not going to put him on the same path as Garnett or Antetokounmpo, but I think he could be a longer Jaren Jackson Jr. I do think he could potentially play two positions in the NBA, even if he ultimately plays a majority of his minutes at just one.

A lot of draftniks love them some Onyeka Okongwu. And while I think he can have a nice NBA career, I personally believe it'd be foolish to draft Okongwu over Wiseman. As good as his defense is, I believe his offense is just as rough. And I don't see the same tools for offensive growth as I do for Wiseman. I think everyone is looking at him and hoping he could develop into Bam Adebayo, but I think it's just as likely his development stops at Bismack Biyombo or Gorgui Dieng.

Okongwu isn't the type of player I'd want to draft in the Top 5. Wiseman isn't the type of player I'd want to pass on.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#608 » by TheZachAttack » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am

Klomp wrote:I can't get James Wiseman out of my mind. I think people have been too critical of him, like comparing him to say Hassan Whiteside. If all you look at is that he's a 7-footer, sure. If you think there's no potential for growth, sure. He could come into the league and play like Whiteside from Day 1.

But when I watch him, I see more. I see movement skills, passing ability and 3-point potential that put him on a different development trajectory than Whiteside. I'm not going to put him on the same path as Garnett or Antetokounmpo, but I think he could be a longer Jaren Jackson Jr. I do think he could potentially play two positions in the NBA, even if he ultimately plays a majority of his minutes at just one.

A lot of draftniks love them some Onyeka Okongwu. And while I think he can have a nice NBA career, I personally believe it'd be foolish to draft Okongwu over Wiseman. As good as his defense is, I believe his offense is just as rough. And I don't see the same tools for offensive growth as I do for Wiseman. I think everyone is looking at him and hoping he could develop into Bam Adebayo, but I think it's just as likely his development stops at Bismack Biyombo or Gorgui Dieng.

Okongwu isn't the type of player I'd want to draft in the Top 5. Wiseman isn't the type of player I'd want to pass on.

I feel the same way about Wiseman, I actually think he’s the one legit prospect—but in terms of fit he’s also the furthest from a fit the Wolves at least on the surface.

IF, he’s really mobile defensively and can be a game changer on that end... I think it’s an interesting idea to move Towns to the 4 and allow him to not anchor a defense.... but it would be a little bit of a switch in mentality for this roster.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#609 » by minimus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Here I am confused. Does ESPN use new NBA measurements and apply to both students and NBA players? If yes, I am all in for Okoro, especially if we draft out of top3. Here is why:

1) he has similar size to PJ Tucker, Winslow, Brown. it means that given his body type he can defend 1-4 positions.
2) high motor (scored a lot 2nd chance points). i don't want anyone with low motor. see Wiggins example.
3) excellent slasher. just imagine a bigger Okogie with better handle and crafty not wild finishing moves around the basket. there will be plenty of opportunities playing at wings with DLo, Beasley, KAT. We need a quality slasher since backcourt is more about shooting than slashing.
4) good passer. this is crucial because we have so many shooters.
5) high IQ (knows his limits). this is crucial because without high IQ you cant be a role player.
6) physicality (can finish through contact), can fight for position, set strong screens
7) excellent rebounder. this is crucial because we need strong rebounders at wings.
minimus
RealGM

Post#610 » by minimus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:30 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Klomp wrote:I can't get James Wiseman out of my mind. I think people have been too critical of him, like comparing him to say Hassan Whiteside. If all you look at is that he's a 7-footer, sure. If you think there's no potential for growth, sure. He could come into the league and play like Whiteside from Day 1.

I feel the same way about Wiseman, I actually think he’s the one legit prospect—but in terms of fit he’s also the furthest from a fit the Wolves at least on the surface.

IF, he’s really mobile defensively and can be a game changer on that end... I think it’s an interesting idea to move Towns to the 4 and allow him to not anchor a defense.... but it would be a little bit of a switch in mentality for this roster.

I wonder how many year might need Wiseman to develop...
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#611 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:01 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:

I agree Zach. All the examples from this season show a pure disdain for using a player like he might well start out as, and even if he progressed to a wider role he still wouldn't fit the mentality and system of what they showed this season. It surprises me how much Klomp is focusing on the player in this instance when he so fully followed the "system building" excuses for all they have done since Rosas took over. To switch from that stance now, there would have to be pure confidence in the new player to come and confidence in an ability to move Towns to 4, or even allowing a 7 footer a different role...These are hard to believe after watching them avoid it this season so profoundly.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#612 » by wolfen » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
wolfen wrote:For the corona-trapped hoops fans out there, if you have the time, and I know you do, there's always:

https://nbareplayhd.com/category/ncaa/

You can watch pretty much any ncaa game from this past year to check out your favorite prospects.

I've come to the conclusion (which means I'm probably dead wrong ;-) that Isaac Okoro is someone who should not be considered a lottery pick. If he's there with our nets pick then fine, take him. The hype on him is his great defense, switchable 1-5. I think that is simply a guess from media types. When you watch complete games of his, you would expect to see shut down defense over and over with the amount of hype he gets. Steals, blocks, staying in front of quick guys, bodying up bigs, etc. etc. What I see is a solid defender but nothing transcending at all really. In watching the Feb 12 game vs. bama, watch him play defense against Kira Lewis at times. Kira leaves him in the dust on more than one occasion. I would say that Okogie is a better on ball defender than Okoro is against quick guys. You want to see a strong wing guard a quick PG then go back and watch Nova play Seton Hall and see how Bey hounds Myles Powell. Impressive. In fact, if I had the choice and both Bey and Okoro are on the board I take Bey every time. If you take Okoro, he BETTER be all world defensively, because he has serious limitations on the offensive side of ball, where he is much like Okogie IMO.

Bey will be a much better shooter, scorer, ball handler, and passer, than Okoro, plus he's legit SF / PF size as compared to Okoro's SG / SF size.

Watching that game for Okoro reminded me how much I love Kira Lewis. Dude will be a really good pro, either a top notch backup PG or possibly something more with that speed.

Going to watch Vandy vs. Auburn to check out Nesmith & Saben Lee to see how they look against Auburn and Okoro.

Cheers!

Tankathon has us drafting Kira Lewis with our pick in the second round every time.

If we don't re-sign JMac then Kira comes into play with the nets pick IMO. He'll go in the top 20 picks without a doubt. I wish free agency was before the draft so teams had a better idea of what they needed to focus on roster-wise :roll:
wolfen
Senior

Post#613 » by wolfen » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

I agree Zach. All the examples from this season show a pure disdain for using a player like he might well start out as, and even if he progressed to a wider role he still wouldn't fit the mentality and system of what they showed this season. It surprises me how much Klomp is focusing on the player in this instance when he so fully followed the "system building" excuses for all they have done since Rosas took over. To switch from that stance now, there would have to be pure confidence in the new player to come and confidence in an ability to move Towns to 4, or even allowing a 7 footer a different role...These are hard to believe after watching them avoid it this season so profoundly.

I'll chime in on this one. Dunking with wolves had an outstanding article of how JW would benefit the wolves on both ends - https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/03/27/james-wiseman-fit-minnesota-timberwolves/

Really came up with some excellent and well thought out points.
Defense:
-We could change to a system where KAT would hard hedge in the P/R now that Wiseman would be back there protecting the paint. Denver does this with Jokic since he has the same defensive issues as KAT, they have some studs who can protect the paint while Jokic hedges (Milsap, Jeremi Grant, who I would target in free agency if we didn't sign Juancho and Beasley).
Offense:
-JW's cutting and lob catching bring new options that defenses have to account for. Maximizes P/R with DLo, he could get to the rim more easily as well since teams have to be concerned about JW in that scenario.
-Towns could park at the 3 point line to space the court in those scenarios and could get Dlo's kick outs from the P/R and make the 3 or attack off the bounce, which he does really well from the perimeter.
-JW runs like a gazelle, he would help in the fast break area without a doubt. He can rebound and take off with the ball too, he's got really good handles.

I know a lot of us want Deni (who I really like), Edwards, and some Okoro with the top pick, but if we took JW, there are some good wing options that could be there with the nets pick - Bey, Patrick Williams, Vassel, Nesmith, Jaden McDaniels - any of whom could end up being just as good if not better than Deni / Edwards / Okoro. I LOVE Beasley, but you could make the case that not signing him (and also not signing Juancho) and instead drafting JW and Devin Vassel (who could compete for the 2 guard spot) and using the Beasley money for even MORE defense by going after Jerami Grant. Like Juancho? Bet you didn't know that Grant shot 40% from deep this year and is a 35% career 3 point shooter. And is a waaaaaay better defender than Juancho.

PG
DLo, JMac
Wings
Vassel, Layman, JJ, Okogie, Culver, Nowell, Vandy
Bigs
KAT, Wiseman, Jerami Grant, Naz

3 point shooting? Check - Dlo, Jmac, Vassel, Layman, KAT, Grant, Naz...
Defense? Check - Vassel, JJ, Okogie, Wiseman, Grant

I could see the Towns / JW pairing offer up a new style that other teams would want to emulate, it's something completely different. Athletic defensive anchor who can run the floor paired with a dynamic scoring big who is ridiculous outside the arc. Does Rosas have the vision to put that into place? We'll see when the draft rolls around...
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#614 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Lewis at 16 would be a reach.
IMO ayayi might be a better pro anyway to pick at 33 if lews is gone.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#615 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:I agree Zach. All the examples from this season show a pure disdain for using a player like he might well start out as, and even if he progressed to a wider role he still wouldn't fit the mentality and system of what they showed this season. It surprises me how much Klomp is focusing on the player in this instance when he so fully followed the "system building" excuses for all they have done since Rosas took over. To switch from that stance now, there would have to be pure confidence in the new player to come and confidence in an ability to move Towns to 4, or even allowing a 7 footer a different role...These are hard to believe after watching them avoid it this season so profoundly.

For the first half of the season, shrink and others were pounding down our throats the belief that Rosas would absolutely never trade for someone like D'Angelo Russell. What happened with that? The reality is, the only people that truly understand the full intricacies of what the franchise wants to build are Gersson Rosas, Ryan Saunders and the rest of the front office and coaching staff. We can place our guesses based on what we feel the system is, but we don't know for certain.

Much of my optimism on Wiseman is based around the fact that I don't view him as a traditional center. I think he's got the potential to be more than that. I think he offers versatility on the court that Gorgui Dieng never could. He offers a size mismatch that Naz Reid could not. He offers a defensive ability that Karl-Anthony Towns hasn't shown. The fact that you think the system or my interpretation of it is so limited to the fact that a 7-footer can only play center is flat-out insulting (par for the course, based on our previous exchanges).

I've never been so stuck on a prospect that I cannot entertain the possibility of the team liking another prospect more. I've never let liking a prospect stop me from liking another prospect. That's not my style. If you choose to follow the NBA draft and the league in general in that way, that's your prerogative. It's not mine. And I'm fairly certain that's not how NBA teams view scouting either.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#616 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I agree Zach. All the examples from this season show a pure disdain for using a player like he might well start out as, and even if he progressed to a wider role he still wouldn't fit the mentality and system of what they showed this season. It surprises me how much Klomp is focusing on the player in this instance when he so fully followed the "system building" excuses for all they have done since Rosas took over. To switch from that stance now, there would have to be pure confidence in the new player to come and confidence in an ability to move Towns to 4, or even allowing a 7 footer a different role...These are hard to believe after watching them avoid it this season so profoundly.

For the first half of the season, shrink and others were pounding down our throats the belief that Rosas would absolutely never trade for someone like D'Angelo Russell. What happened with that? The reality is, the only people that truly understand the full intricacies of what the franchise wants to build are Gersson Rosas, Ryan Saunders and the rest of the front office and coaching staff. We can place our guesses based on what we feel the system is, but we don't know for certain.

Much of my optimism on Wiseman is based around the fact that I don't view him as a traditional center. I think he's got the potential to be more than that. I think he offers versatility on the court that Gorgui Dieng never could. He offers a size mismatch that Naz Reid could not. He offers a defensive ability that Karl-Anthony Towns hasn't shown. The fact that you think the system or my interpretation of it is so limited to the fact that a 7-footer can only play center is flat-out insulting (par for the course, based on our previous exchanges).

I've never been so stuck on a prospect that I cannot entertain the possibility of the team liking another prospect more. I've never let liking a prospect stop me from liking another prospect. That's not my style. If you choose to follow the NBA draft and the league in general in that way, that's your prerogative. It's not mine. And I'm fairly certain that's not how NBA teams view scouting either.

You are getting highly defensive here and that is your right since I discussed your point of view and quoted you. However you are striking out in maybe 4 different directions there with this post. You've been on about Wiserman since January repeatedly. You haven't been suggesting other names. You haven't been allowing for the possibility that he just doesn't fit the very strict story they pushed all season. I believe I'm on the money with what they showed all season and what you said every month leading up to the season and up to most of December. And then this new tune since January.

Obviously I was around enough to see your change of tune. Almost a letting go of belief in Towns or at least desire to build the team based on him first anymore. I'm not trying to attack you for it. By all means, flexible idealogy ftw. I'm just surprised by it. In this instance, all signs point to them not wavering. They didn't waver when they started the season strong but ran into opponents that didn't fit their strengths. They didn't waver when injuries started to demand it in November and early December. It was only once it was time to start selling player values that their system was wavered from.

With the decision to try and make Culver a PG so early in the season I already believed their strict adherence to their plan was a big hipocritical story full of holes anyway. But given they brought in players like Vonleh and Bell and then worked so hard to avoid using them, and Dieng, and especially with Towns, this specific Wiserman discussion needs to be discussed in light of this systemic problem. You saw what happened when Towns was out before the season was pulled. The team was showing full on small ball rotations. I don't really see them reverting everything, or going a completely different way. Of course I couldn't argue against their choices enough before, and the team ended 10 wins behind the nearest division team and 21 wins behind the third place division team. I certainly couldn't and probably wouldn't try to stop them if they flipped the script again. Not much would really surpise me now. Except you did this season with your lock in on this idea of Wiserman. Try to not take it as a knock on you. It is just surprising as I've said each time. One thing that has been consistent from you since last summer is looking for height mismatches and this might track with that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#617 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Jedzz wrote:You are getting highly defensive here and that is your right since I discussed your point of view and quoted you. However you are striking out in maybe 4 different directions there with this post. You've been on about Wiserman since January repeatedly. You haven't been suggesting other names.

Let me stop you right there, because that couldn't be further from the truth....

Jan. 28
Klomp wrote:I don't really want to draft another player in this same mold, but I just have a gut feeling that Isaac Okoro is going to be that guy 5-10 years from now who has developed into a star and teams are going to be kicking themselves for passing on him.

Feb. 3 (Reed)
Klomp wrote:He's got the movement skills to where he could play the PF here on both sides of the court in our system. He's a junior, but young for his class at 20 years old. Only three months older than freshman Precious Achiuwa and 15 months younger than junior Obi Toppin.

Currently 16th on Tankathon

Since January, I've also brought up Toppin, Pokusevski, Vassell, Nwora, Achiuwa, Okongwu, Avdija, Maxey, Hampton, McDaniels in this thread. I brought up Wiseman maybe once or twice before the past two weeks. At the time, it was before the deadline and in the framework of possibly moving on from Towns. It wasn't until I studied him a little further and started to see some of the things he could provide that I started to believe he and Towns could coexist.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#618 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 am

Klomp wrote:Since January, I've also brought up Toppin, Pokusevski, Vassell, Nwora, Achiuwa, Okongwu, Avdija, Maxey, Hampton, McDaniels in this thread.

I'd hate to review this whole thread to see if you actually brought up all those names. But, ever once post twice about anyone?
I brought up Wiseman maybe once or twice before the past two weeks.

Who is talking about the last two weeks? That is the point, you've kept coming back to Wiserman since January. It's something you obviously want to see happen. Why suggest it many multiple of times and then now try to suggest you aren't convinced of it?
At the time, it was before the deadline and in the framework of possibly moving on from Towns. It wasn't until I studied him a little further and started to see some of the things he could provide that I started to believe he and Towns could coexist.
See this I believe is true, it was nearing that timeline and was in that context that you began with this. Let me say again, it only surprised me. It's not a knock on you. I actually applaud you making a suggestion for the team about something you could see working, instead of so often being the guy that tells us the facts of life with this team which thwarts all suggestions and excuses all decisions. Which is where I find myself in this instance. Where you now suggest he can exist with Towns in a starting lineup. This is where I see the actions this season making that difficult. I do not disagree that it could work to have Towns with another big, someone taller than him. But the stubbornness of the team on this point is in question.
minimus
RealGM

Post#619 » by minimus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 am

Klomp wrote:Much of my optimism on Wiseman is based around the fact that I don't view him as a traditional center. I think he's got the potential to be more than that. I think he offers versatility on the court that Gorgui Dieng never could. He offers a size mismatch that Naz Reid could not. He offers a defensive ability that Karl-Anthony Towns hasn't shown. The fact that you think the system or my interpretation of it is so limited to the fact that a 7-footer can only play center is flat-out insulting (par for the course, based on our previous exchanges)

IMO when we speak about Wiseman and Okongwu there is one single criterion: if they can hold their ground in defense in current NBA, they will be worth top pick. I think it is extremely difficult to play bigman position in current NBA, you need to be able to defend by using size, and technique. But if you can defend in both ways, then you improve your defense immensely as backbone of defense.
wolfen
Senior

Post#620 » by wolfen » Wed Apr 1, 2020 6:26 pm

Just got done watching the McDonald's All American game from last year and in so doing, was reminded how ridiculously good that Cole Anthony is. I really do think that playing with a terrible team at UNC really hurt his draft stock and didn't allow him to show out. Playing in the McD's game you can see what it's like when he plays with really good players. He's strong, can get anywhere on the court, attacks, plays hard, sets guys up, score on 3 levels, etc. etc. Manion couldn't do d@mn thing against him in the game.

In today's guard driven league, with teams not shying away from playing 2 "combos" at the same time, along with the fact that D-Lo playing off of the ball has shown very positive, I fear we'll be making a mistake if we don't consider Anthony with our top pick. He really could be the best player in the draft, and having D-Lo on the squad shouldn't preclude us from passing on him. And I even think we should bring back McLaughlin as well, you just can't have too many PG's on your squad who are good players.

Another player in the McD's game that stood out was Isaiah Stewart. He outworked, out-thought, out-hustled, out-scored, out-rebounded, and out-classed Wiseman in that game. He's got really good instincts on both ends, plays super hard, rebounds, defends, and runs really well. 6-9 245, 7-4 wingspan, tough, and he can really move his feet, which bodes well for switching onto smaller players when needed. Honestly, this team has zero physical presence (other than Okogie). Is he starter level at the PF position? Maybe, maybe not. His floor is a hard working rotational big who plays hard, good D, rebounds, and runs the floor. I think his ceiling is a little higher than most people are giving him credit for. If he develops an outside shot, he could be the perfect compliment next to KAT. Good scouting report on IS - https://basketballsocietyonline.com/isaiah-stewart-scouting-report

Sounds like he's confident he'll be a good shooter down the line too... https://www.si.com/college/washington/basketball/stewart-put-the-work-in-on-his-3-point-shot

A Cole Anthony / Isaiah Stewart draft just very well might be the smartest pick combo for the wolves. Would that neglect the wing position? Yes, but it's possible that a wing on our roster busts out next year, who knows. And we could also take a flyer on 2nd round guys like Tyler Bey, Elijah Hughes, etc. Hell, maybe Patrick Williams falls to the top of the 2nd round.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves