ImageImageImage

CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?'

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Re: CoVid Check in / update..... or 'Where is Paul Panks?' 

Post#41 » by Frank Lee » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Yeah 'Bum... there is enough weird stuff surrounding this to have its own RabbitHole. RichiefromBoston isnt buying it (I have a feeling you know of him) . And perhaps the best thing to happen would be Hollywood giving a big 'I told ya so'. Still, I have friends in China, Philippines, and one in Spain who have been smacked down with death all around them. They sure arent concerned about any conspiracy ****.

May be, there is a big picture plan TPTB have going on. Regardless, there is a lot of profiteering occurring. And likely some new rules coming down the pike. A social game changer perhaps? At least it is exposing the ineptitude and lack of preparatory concern of our governments, from the top down. as this didnt sneak up on anyone, From Prezydent FingerPointer and Congross, to the governors and even general population. Much like the continuing EMP threat (or promise?) We seem to be a society that has as many heads in the clouds as in the sand. Im almost to the point that my political voting will adopt the 'Can the Incumbent' philosophy... certainly the 'lifers' who have entrenched/enriched themselves over multiple decades.

Paul Panks was a poster/character on azcentral years ago... may be even here for a brief time. Semi troubled dude who laid out his personal struggles... sort of like Maryvale's Finest without the dramatic departure. Panks, for some reason, always stuck with me. Like Culburn Castleberry, king of the trollers.

'Let us proceed'.

Still 2 cases and holding in this town.... but, AZ is last on the testing list. Feel almost guilty being here.
What ? Me Worry ?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#42 » by bigfoot » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Yeah 'Bum... there is enough weird stuff surrounding this to have its own RabbitHole. RichiefromBoston isnt buying it (I have a feeling you know of him) . And perhaps the best thing to happen would be Hollywood giving a big 'I told ya so'. Still, I have friends in China, Philippines, and one in Spain who have been smacked down with death all around them. They sure arent concerned about any conspiracy ****.

May be, there is a big picture plan TPTB have going on. Regardless, there is a lot of profiteering occurring. And likely some new rules coming down the pike. A social game changer perhaps? At least it is exposing the ineptitude and lack of preparatory concern of our governments, from the top down. as this didnt sneak up on anyone, From Prezydent FingerPointer and Congross, to the governors and even general population. Much like the continuing EMP threat (or promise?) We seem to be a society that has as many heads in the clouds as in the sand. Im almost to the point that my political voting will adopt the 'Can the Incumbent' philosophy... certainly the 'lifers' who have entrenched/enriched themselves over multiple decades.

Paul Panks was a poster/character on azcentral years ago... may be even here for a brief time. Semi troubled dude who laid out his personal struggles... sort of like Maryvale's Finest without the dramatic departure. Panks, for some reason, always stuck with me. Like Culburn Castleberry, king of the trollers.

'Let us proceed'.

Still 2 cases and holding in this town.... but, AZ is last on the testing list. Feel almost guilty being here.

Fortunately, there are some local politicians on the ball. My daughter is a nurse and lives in Seattle. Their mayor shut down things ASAP. Considering the first case and deaths showed up in Emerald City it is a surprise how well managed it is. NYC death totals are doubling every 3 days, similar to that of the early stages in Italy and Spain. Seattle is at an eight-day doubling rate.

Dumping these political lifers along with the dumbezz trying to run the government like a business would be a great starting point come November. I'd sure like to see more scientists and ex-military than all these freaking lawyers in government. I swear, most lawyers are the spawn of the devil.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#43 » by sunsbum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 pm

bigfoot wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:Yeah 'Bum... there is enough weird stuff surrounding this to have its own RabbitHole. RichiefromBoston isnt buying it (I have a feeling you know of him) . And perhaps the best thing to happen would be Hollywood giving a big 'I told ya so'. Still, I have friends in China, Philippines, and one in Spain who have been smacked down with death all around them. They sure arent concerned about any conspiracy ****.

'Let us proceed'.

Fortunately, there are some local politicians on the ball. My daughter is a nurse and lives in Seattle. Their mayor shut down things ASAP. Considering the first case and deaths showed up in Emerald City it is a surprise how well managed it is. NYC death totals are doubling every 3 days, similar to that of the early stages in Italy and Spain. Seattle is at an eight-day doubling rate.

Dumping these political lifers along with the dumbezz trying to run the government like a business would be a great starting point come November. I'd sure like to see more scientists and ex-military than all these freaking lawyers in government. I swear, most lawyers are the spawn of the devil.

I agree, no matter what political side you sit on, I think its fair to say we need term limits for every single warm seat in DC. But who are we kidding, thats never going to happen.
Flex is now your father.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by sunsbum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 pm

'Let us proceed'.

I hope people don't think I'm discounting whats going on outside my bubble, or that the loss of life is insignificant in pursuit of asking questions. I know that the virus is very real and causing havoc on families around the globe. But this is impacting my life as well, this is a financial death for me personally.

Beyond the virus there is A LOT of moving parts right now. The entire globe is basically on a D League Marshal Law. How is the economy going to recover from this is we don't go back to work soon?
Myself, I've lost my job (bartender) and have about 2 months of reserves before its back to my parents house. Thats happening to every single small business and person in the service industry. I think everyone owes it to themselves to ask questions. Personally I'm fairly positive I know what this push is about and it doesn't jive with me. Ya ain't tagging me.
Flex is now your father.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#45 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 am

sunsbum wrote:

'Let us proceed'.

I hope people don't think I'm discounting whats going on outside my bubble, or that the loss of life is insignificant in pursuit of asking questions. I know that the virus is very real and causing havoc on families around the globe. But this is impacting my life as well, this is a financial death for me personally.

Beyond the virus there is A LOT of moving parts right now. The entire globe is basically on a D League Marshal Law. How is the economy going to recover from this is we don't go back to work soon?
Myself, I've lost my job (bartender) and have about 2 months of reserves before its back to my parents house. Thats happening to every single small business and person in the service industry. I think everyone owes it to themselves to ask questions. Personally I'm fairly positive I know what this push is about and it doesn't jive with me. Ya ain't tagging me.

Yeah im with you. Small business owner, n this is hurting.

You had the right saying it's nothing for a while, the left saying trump is an idiot n it's going to kill millions n millions in the u.s. with ease.....to much political goings on for this to be on the up. My personal guestimate is lower than most, and some goofballs have been personally offended, but maybe I'm being hopeful that we get out of this relatively soon, with maybe 40-60k dead in total when it's all said and done.....idk how we could do May like we're doing april without a ton of small business going under, or just about. I'm just hoping this semi-lockdown can quell this thing, and the political nonsense can do the same.
bigfoot

Post#46 » by bigfoot » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:35 am

sunsbum wrote:

'Let us proceed'.

???
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#47 » by sunskerr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17 am

DIE FOR CAPITALISM AND YOUR SHAREHOLDERS PROFITS
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#48 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:13 am

Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#49 » by Desertfox » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm a 30yo engineer out in the Bay Area. Saw the Princess Cruise ship out at sea before they were allowed in. My company decided we were all essential so still going to work everyday, doesn't feel like anything has changed, other than traffic has never been better. Wife is working from home like most of the Silicon Valley companies. The Bay Area was the first to put in a shelter-in-place order and it together with the work-from-home culture here, appears to have worked out great in slowing down the spread.

Data is showing that social distancing is working. The places hardest hit did not do so, New York with their high population density and dependence on the metro, New Orleans with Mardi Gras, and Florida with spring breakers.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#50 » by hollywood6964 » Wed Apr 1, 2020 3:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
It's probably more like 1%-1.5% compared to the flu at .1%, so 10-15x higher death rate.

But the main danger is that the average person with the flu infects 1.4 people and with this they infect 3 people. Once that multiplies 10x, the former infects 29 people and the latter infects 59,049 people.

You'd need to get to 1,000 people infected with the flu though for one to die, so you'd need it to multiply 21x to get over 1,000

If you multiply 3 21x, you get 10,460,353,203

That's obviously larger than the world's population, but at a 1% mortality rate, that would kill 104,603,532 people, compared to the flu's 1 person.

So obviously it's a big difference once it starts spreading, since it spreads so much more rapidly.

Add in the fact that we have a flu vaccine and we don't have a COVID-19 vaccine and it makes it even worse.

Flu

COVID-19

Although most, including this board (what I thought was a microcosm of the mass populations consensus) thought the death rate was to be at the very low 2%, and more likely 3%, I still think the modified # you have now at 1.5% is still high. Very high. You're still neglecting the cases not being reported, which is a vast majority, and those people just get better. Also being neglected is the comparison to the flu, which DOES include the estimate cases that are not reported n just get better. That's how they come up with that .1%. To just transfer the #'s n compare is apples n oranges. That's why I have, from the beginning, come in at about .2 to .3%, and that's only because we don't have a vaccine. considering the major drop in death rate % everybody is going with now, I'm already more right than wrong, and I have a feeling when the #'s really come in, and start to include the estimated non-reported cases, you'll see no higher than a .5.

I know about the virus and how it's supposed to spread, etc. I probably know more about this than most, as my investment strategy is based on peoples susceptibility for hysteria and how the reality of the situation is going to affect the market, particularly after this is all over. I'm already way up. I think this will start to get into the rear view mirror in the next few weeks. not over, but on the other side of the worst of it and then the government will really be able to start to come up with realistic #'s. None of this 3.5%, astronomical worst case scenario stuff.

I used 1%, and I think it's probably more around that than 1.5%. It's just too hard for anyone to know without testing everyone. It could be slightly lower. But if it's .9% or .8% that still is 8 or 9X stronger than the flu, with a far easier spread rate and without a vaccine.

I am not neglecting anything. I know that without mass testing trying to figure out any death rate is meaningless. Even looking at current deaths compared to current cases, it's under 2%, and current confirmed cases is probably 10-20% of real cases, but with more widespread testing going on now and in the future, that % should rise.

However, current recoveries of confirmed cases is also under 2%, so the other 96% could go either way, since there is a 2-3 week lag between infection and death.

For people under 50, it's probably only double the flu death rate.. However, you get into the 50s it probably goes up to 4x, 60s more like 20x, 70s more like 50x, and 80s, over 120x the flu death rate.

But still, the massive spreading is the main thing, and how hard it hits older people. That and no vaccine for over a year.

And the fact that nobody has had it before, so it's almost always worse the first time around without proper antibodies to fight it off. Of course no vaccine, and you've a recipe for a lot of death's. Yeah I think we're on the same page, if a few tenths of a percent in difference on the death rate.

My only objection since the beginning has been the media's hype, and the way I've seen people act. Too much political back and forth, which leads to the insulting behavior that goes on, instead of sensible conversation and rational actions, even when it comes to the grocery stores.

I'm probably being optimistic about this whole thing, hoping that big 150k # Fauci was estimating that was an "at best" scenario can halt at 1/3 of that.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by sunsbum » Wed Apr 1, 2020 5:33 am

bigfoot wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

'Let us proceed'.

???

I believe we are in the infancy of the collapse of the physical dollar. Nancy Pelosi suggested in her first stimulus bill submitted to trump that we should go to a complete digital dollar (which he said no to). Bill Gates keeps pushing his "digital vaccine certificate" all over his reddit AMA's and basically to anyone that will listen.

Do you smell what im stepping in?

"ID2020 Alliance Unveils Digital ID Program. ... With the opportunity for immunization to serve as a platform for digital identity, the program harnesses existing birth registration and vaccination operations to provide newborns with a portable and persistent biometrically-linked digital identity"

It aint no conspiracy theory anymore boys.
Flex is now your father.
bigfoot

Post#52 » by bigfoot » Wed Apr 1, 2020 3:52 pm

sunsbum wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

???

I believe we are in the infancy of the collapse of the physical dollar. Nancy Pelosi suggested in her first stimulus bill submitted to trump that we should go to a complete digital dollar (which he said no to). Bill Gates keeps pushing his "digital vaccine certificate" all over his reddit AMA's and basically to anyone that will listen.

"ID2020 Alliance Unveils Digital ID Program. ... With the opportunity for immunization to serve as a platform for digital identity, the program harnesses existing birth registration and vaccination operations to provide newborns with a portable and persistent biometrically-linked digital identity"

So don't get a nasal swab cause there gonna get your DNA too.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#53 » by DirtyDez » Wed Apr 1, 2020 7:36 pm

There’s a 100% guaranteed-to-work flu vaccine?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#54 » by cberry78 » Wed Apr 1, 2020 8:17 pm

bigfoot wrote:
sunsbum wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
???

So don't get a nasal swab cause there gonna get your DNA too.
If you've had blood drawn at ANY point in the last 20+ years.....yeah the gubmint's already got your DNA. Sorry guys.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#55 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Wed Apr 1, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm 35, born and raised in Bullhead City, AZ (shoutout to fellow river rat Frank) but I now live in Jacksonville, FL. I work in PD for a financial software company. The last I heard on Bullhead (maybe a week old news) was they had just got their first reported case. I believe the mayor implemented some shutdowns but I don't believe there is a stay-at-home issued yet. My parents own a construction company there and so far they haven't been affected much. Jacksonville's mayor just issued a stay-at-home this morning so it sounds like sh*t is about to get real out here... We live outside the city limits in Clay county. All schools are shut down for the rest of the year and some businesses have been closed, but grocery stores and Walmart etc. are still open with reduced hours. We didn't have any problems finding TP the last time we went shopping but there are definitely some empty shelves in the stores. Other than the school closure and my wife not being able to go out and do things as often it hasn't affected us much so far. Since we are lucky enough to be healthy I have actually been enjoying it because I'd rather be at home anyways. San Francisco (where my company is based and the rest of my team works) has been in a full on quarantine for a week or two now. The latest I've heard is that it has started to flatten the curve out there. Our clients are the financial managers, so at the moment they are extremely busy and in a weird way our business is better than it otherwise would be. But that would start to change if our clients' clients start pulling their money out of the market...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#56 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 2, 2020 6:18 am

Sydney, Australia. 32 in finance. Seems like the tough-ish measures put in that's a couple levels before full lock down has started to take effect. Early signs show % growth of new cases is starting to drop and the curve is beginning to flatten although we're far from being out of the woods. Government is saying these levels of social distancing measures will likely be in place for at least 90 days and then will be evaluated later. No one I know have been infected yet and I've worked from home already for the past 3 weeks now. If this is the new normal, I can live with that.

It's still early days in terms of seeing the impact of the measures but the first graph in the link below is at least interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/datablog/2020/apr/01/is-australia-flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-look-at-the-charts-

A lot of people panicked early onward which drove a ton of hoarding at supermarkets but large chain grocery stores have started to put measures in place such as closing earlier to allow for more time to restock, special opening hr in the morning for the elderly and seniors to get what they need and also implemented purchase limits around certain items (2 packs of toilet paper etc). This week my state government had further specified that there should only a number of reasons for going out and they are, for an essential purpose – obtaining groceries, exercising, medical or compassionate care, and working or studying that cannot be done from home. On the spot fines of $1000 AUD applies for unlawful gatherings. In terms of social gatherings at homes, that's considers unlawful now unless it's immediate family although you can have one non-family guest around. Not sure how police can enforce this but it's gotta be put out there at least.

Honestly, as draconian as some of these measures might sound to some of my freedom-loving American counterparts, they really aren't that big of a deal. Living in an age where we have near unlimited hrs of online entertainment, we're more connected (esp digitally) than ever before and most of us are living in the first world where hunger/starvation isn't really a serious threat. Much rather go through a pretty inconvenient but mostly comfortable isolation for 3-6months than seeing hundreds of thousands die because we love freedom too much.

I'd rather leadership apologise later for being too harsh with the measures than beg for forgiveness for not doing enough.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#57 » by matt131 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 6:04 pm

25 year old electrical engineer living just north of LA. Working from home and just bought a gaming console (PS4) for the first time in my life since going outside is a big no-no except for some quick exercise. It's crazy to see how deserted Highway 101 is (big freeway that is usually jam packed at all times of the day).

The panic here started a few weeks ago and lines at Costco/grocery stores were insane. I just stayed away at that point and ate what I already had in the freezer. Now things are very organized and if I go to the store 30 minutes before closing, I barely see anybody.

My girlfriend goes to medical school in Phoenix and I typically drive to her twice a month, but that is no longer an option. With gas prices so freaking low, I wish I was actually driving more.

Selfishly, I am looking forward to the NFL draft, even though it might not be 'right' for the NFL to go through with it at the moment. I'm a Charger fan and am really hoping we land Tua. Really think he could be special.

Hope all here are doing well. Good luck and stay healthy!
GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Post#58 » by GMATCallahan » Tue Apr 7, 2020 5:24 am

cberry78 wrote:I just feel the need to say that that 2% death rate is probably an over inflated number due to the lack of actual tests being administered. I know two separate people (who are unrelated) who have been told, "yeah, you probably have it, just self quarantine and let us know if you get bad."

Unless they test everyone for the antibodies when this is all said and done, we'll never know the true number of infected v. uninfected.

And, no, I'm not trying to downplay this pandemic or the seriousness of the situation (I'm essentially quarantined now for my family's sake), we just have no idea what the real numbers are going to be (probably higher than not), and we have no clue what the long term affects are going to be (ie health wise, socially, economically, etc.)

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app

People who are told that, though, would not be counted in the official death toll unless they ended up being tested at some point. And due to the lack of comprehensive testing that you correctly cite, the running totals for infection and death are surely being undercounted, perhaps by major margins (especially in terms of overall infections).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-death-toll-americans-are-almost-certainly-dying-of-covid-19-but-being-left-out-of-the-official-count/ar-BB12bSIa?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

That said, the actual death rate among the infected may indeed be less than the numbers would suggest, because there is a notable percentage of infected people who never develop symptoms or do so belatedly.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-so-far-about-those-who-can-pass-corona-without-symptoms

But that prospect also helps explain how the virus can spread like wildfire, and there is a good chance that the actual number of infections in the country is already in the millions (although some of those infected people, such as the NBA players who tested positive a few weeks ago, would now be clear of the virus).

The good news is that we basically know what works in terms of minimizing the spread and thus maintaining the functionality of our health care system. We all just have to be team players, and if everyone operates that way, we can render the process as efficient as possible. It will be a long slog either way, though.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#59 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Tue Apr 7, 2020 1:36 pm

bigfoot wrote:

'Let us proceed'.

Unfortunately it's the lawyers/congress/senate who will decide if we change the process so it's hard to feel hopeful. The negative side of me thinks these slime will keep the system intact, where only the wealthy can run at all and the primaries will spit out an old politician year after year (McCain e.g.). The hopeful side of me says maybe this situation will be a catalyst for change. Your lawyer comment is right on -- they know how to argue, debate, manipulate and where all the loopholes are. The perfect recipe for gridlock. 21 medical degrees and 161 lawyers. Perfect for a pandemic. It would be interesting to see what the master's degrees are in...betting political science.

The CQ Member Profiles at the beginning of the 116th Congress indicate the following:
 17 Members of the House have no educational degree beyond a high school
diploma;
 6 Members of the House have associate’s degrees as their highest degrees;
 99 Members of the House and 18 Senators earned a master’s degree as their
highest attained degrees;
161 Members of the House (36.6% of the House) and 53 Senators (53% of the
Senate) hold law degrees;

 21 Representatives and 4 Senators have doctoral (Ph.D., D.Phil., Ed.D., or
D. Min) degrees; and
 21 Members of the House and 4 Senators have medical degrees.
Years80HAWKS
Junior
And1: 42

Post#60 » by Years80HAWKS » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:07 pm

---------

Return to Phoenix Suns