ImageImageImageImageImage

Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#1121 » by payitforward » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:20 am

Moving this here not to annoy our comrades....
DCZards wrote:Yes, I love trumpet playing as well as sax, piano...pretty much any jazz. Armstrong is indeed considered the best, his peers such as (other trumpet players) say as much. My preference though goes more toward Lee Morgan, Freddy Hubbard, Woody Shaw and Dizzy Gillespie. I had an opportunity to interview Dizzy. I have an autographed copy of his memoir "To Be or Not to Bop."

You know, Zards, I'll probably drive you as crazy about jazz as I do about basketball -- I beg your forgiveness in advance!! :)

Obviously, those are all extremely good trumpet players on your list....

Dizzy was a unique individual, that's for sure. I was once carrying a couple of drinks (1 for me 1 for a friend) across a large reception room at a jazz festival, when he appeared out of nowhere & tried to steal them from me! With a big smile on his face -- just messing with me!

Thinking about Dizzy makes me want to mention some other early bop trumpeters -- Howard Mcghee, Red Rodney, Idrees Sulieman & Fats Navarro. They all recorded with Bird except Sulieman. & went on to do great stuff (there's plenty on Spotify, Youtube, etc.). You probably know them all, but in the (altogether unlikely!) event that Navarro's name is new to you, look for him playing "Anthropology" for a quick intro to his absolutely incredible brilliance. & "Infatuation" as well.... Fats died in 1950 at 27. Heroin.... He was the single greatest influence on Clifford -- as is obvious after 4 bars of any cut by him!

As you mention, Hubbard & Shaw, maybe you knpw their 2-trumpet recording of "Boperation." It's a Navarro/McGhee song.

As to Louis Armstrong, it's hard to compare a guy like Satchmo at his prime with more recent trumpeters at their primes -- recording technologies were so much more primitive & occasions to record so much rarer than they were by the time someone like Clifford came along.

Armstrong was known to play extended solos, but that wouldn't have been possible when Tight Like This was recorded. It was cut right to shellac (no such thing as tape back then), & 3 minutes was the limit. His solo is eloquent & beautiful. To my way of thinking he & Sonny Rollins are the 2 greatest improvisers in the history of jazz.

Long ago when I was down & out in Paris, the great soprano saxophonist Steve Lacey put me up in his loft for a few weeks. I remember him saying that no one was as avant garde as Satchmo; that's a sentiment I agree with.

I'll go out with one of the great recordings ever, in any musical genre or style, one I'm sure you know:
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1122 » by payitforward » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:24 am

(One of my favorite things about this recording is that there are 2 different pianists on it -- J.J. Johnson just couldn't play with Monk! Horace's solo is one of my favorite things by him.)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1123 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm

My band is playing a house concert in Great Falls on Saturday night Feb 8th.
If anyone is interested...Monte?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1124 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 am

Bob Dylan...

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#1125 » by DCZards » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 pm

I just heard that trumpet player Wallace Roney has died from the Coronavirus. Roney attended DC’s Duke Ellington School of the Arts in the mid-1970s and also matriculated at Howard University. Roney was a favorite of Miles Davis (many people considered him Miles' protege) and carved out an outstanding career in the world of jazz. I last saw Roney live when he performed with Chick Corea at the Blue Note in NYC in October 2016. Just a few days ago I was listening to his latest CD, “Blue Dawn-Blue Nights.” May he rest in peace and power.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1126 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 2, 2020 12:31 am

Daahoud... a Clifford Brown tune. That's Ravi Coltrane on tenor sax....

Roney was an outstanding player. I didn't know he was connected to Miles in the ways you describe. His playing isn't much like Miles's -- but then who's is?

Zards, one day I'll tell you about the time I bought Miles a drink. It was at the Sutherland Lounge (& if you don't know what the Sutherland was... well, you'll enjoy learning about it). I was 15 at the time. I had one other encounter with Miles at the Sutherland as well.

I learned a lot at the Sutherland Lounge. 47th & Drexel Boulevard in Chicago. Long gone.

Wallace Roney: may his name be for a blessing among the righteous. Zil.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1127 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 6, 2020 7:16 pm

Writing today (revising really...) which, as it often does, means I've had music on most of the day. From Bob Dylan's just-released-on-youtube "Murder Most Foul," I moved on to Ramblin' Jack Elliot's "South Coast" & then his version of the great great Woody Guthrie song, "Pastures of Plenty."

Then I listened to Woody singing the same song. Next came Guthrie's equally great song "Deportee," which the a-hole in the White House should be made to listen to a dozen times a day.

After Woody's version, I listened to Johnny Cash singing the same song. From there it was an hop to the Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings & Kris Krostofferson). I listened to their song of the same name: "The Highwayman."

I followed that with "Riders in the Sky" -- their version & the old Frankie Laine version of the song which I remember from when I was a little kid.

Then I listened to the Highwaymen do the Townes Van Zandt song, Pancho & Lefty. Fantastic song.

Because of something I'm writing, & because of some email correspondence with a group of poet-friends, I listened to 3-4 songs by Hank Williams -- "Alone & Forsaken," "Six Miles to the Graveyard," & a couple of others. The first of those songs is one of the greatest songs of the XXth century. Hank Williams didn't live to celebrate his 30th birthday, but (as Leonard Cohen has it) he's got one of the top floors of the Tower of Song all to himself.

Then I went back to Townes Van Zandt, yet another great Texas country/folk music song writer & one of the guys who created "Outlaw Country." Alcohol, heroin & insanity claimed him too young. But he lived along enough to write dozens of songs that will live forever. Wonder what I mean...?

Right now I'm listening to his album, "Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas."

Zards -- you know that Charlie Parker was a big fan of country music, right? No, I'm not kidding.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#1128 » by bulletproof_32 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:47 am

Ok, wow. I haven’t been on this board in a minute so it’s cool to see townes van zandt in the post above. Was just listening to that record the other day.

I usually refrain from the social media “challenges”, but recently engaged in the “10 album” one on fb and realized how much this board (ba, doc, daswami et al) has influenced me over the years. My list below. If anyone else has been participating on fb, please share yours.

1. Rage Against the Machine - Self titled
2. Graham Wilkinson - The spiritual accessories ep
3. The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
4. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
5. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - This Unruly Mess I’ve Made
6 Temple of the Dog - self titled
7 Atmosphere - when life gives you lemons, you paint that **** gold
8 Damien rice - 9
9 the streets - original Pirate material
10 Theresa Andersson - hummingbird, go

To clarify, these aren’t my 10 favorite albums of all time, just 10 that are significant in some form.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1129 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:18 pm

This is great, man -- thanks! There's a lot there I don't know & will listen to.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1130 » by gambitx777 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 am

Crooked teeth is absolutely fantastic give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1131 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:06 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Crooked teeth is absolutely fantastic give them a try.

Will do.

Band names... that's an amazing one! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1132 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Moving this here...
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Gibson (Les Paul) -- what a great example of draft (I mean finger) picking!...

Les Paul's a good pick (pun intended), pif, but I've got to go with Larry Carlton. Just earlier today I was listening to Carlton tear it up as a member of the band Fourplay. I read where Carlton's favorite guitar is his 1969 Gibson ES-335.

I have only the vaguest awareness of him. Will listen to some later today.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1133 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:08 pm

To go in a (very) different direction:

Amazing music, & he is too.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1134 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Yet another direction, also great stuff:

by the great Nancy Zeltsman
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1135 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:27 pm

& especially for you, Zards...

When I was homeless in Paris in the early '70s, Steve put me up for a few weeks in his loft on the rue des Feuillantines.

Earlier, in a bebop mode, with Don Cherry:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1136 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:29 pm

One of the great rock cuts ever...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1137 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:33 pm

When my second wife & I broke up, I listened to this about a thousand times:

Anyone who wants to can tell me to stop any time.

(I will for a while right now... got a zoom meeting to go to.)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1138 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:39 pm

One more & out the door...
Must be everyone knows this:

The great one himself doing his tune...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1139 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:48 pm

Whoa... meeting not for another 15 minutes.

Have I already posted this great great Son Seals song? This one is also for you, Zards:

I heard him live once, when he first moved to Chicago. At a club somewhere on the South side.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1140 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0_mvmTvaAT72L-8_7BDksw
payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Crooked teeth is absolutely fantastic give them a try.

Will do.

Band names... that's an amazing one! :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards