Kings General Discussion 2019-2020

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#261 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:33 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:My pipe dream scenario is Buddy + Bagley + our FRP for [insert disgruntled star player]. Someone like Booker, Beal, or Simmons.

This is the issue with any potential scenario. Number 1, that's a waaaay overpay for any of those guys. Number 2 Beal and Booker play the same spot as Bogdan and need the ball to thrive. Bogdan to his credit has backed off running the offense and is letting Fox run most of the show. Booker and Beal, and definitely Simmons ain't doing that.

I don't consider that an overpay. I think it would be more likely the other teams say no.

Leaving that aside, if you brought in Beal or Booker, Bogdan moves back to being a 6th man. There's plenty of minutes at the wing spots for everyone. If you brought in Simmons, Bjelica moves to the bench. In any of these scenarios, we bring in a necessary playmaker to make this a real team. Let's be realistic, in the long run we are not achieving anything with Cojo running the offense 20 minutes a game. Real teams have at least two prime time playmakers.

Lastly, maybe I'm pessimistic but I think its more likely than not that Buddy and Bagley end up being toxic to this team. They are both black holes with apparently large egos and in Bagley's case have proven nothing on the floor. If you watched the GS game, I'd ask what's the realistic difference between Chriss and Bagley?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#262 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:12 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:My pipe dream scenario is Buddy + Bagley + our FRP for [insert disgruntled star player]. Someone like Booker, Beal, or Simmons.

This is the issue with any potential scenario. Number 1, that's a waaaay overpay for any of those guys. Number 2 Beal and Booker play the same spot as Bogdan and need the ball to thrive. Bogdan to his credit has backed off running the offense and is letting Fox run most of the show. Booker and Beal, and definitely Simmons ain't doing that.

I don't consider that an overpay. I think it would be more likely the other teams say no.

Leaving that aside, if you brought in Beal or Booker, Bogdan moves back to being a 6th man. There's plenty of minutes at the wing spots for everyone. If you brought in Simmons, Bjelica moves to the bench. In any of these scenarios, we bring in a necessary playmaker to make this a real team. Let's be realistic, in the long run we are not achieving anything with Cojo running the offense 20 minutes a game. Real teams have at least two prime time playmakers.

Lastly, maybe I'm pessimistic but I think its more likely than not that Buddy and Bagley end up being toxic to this team. They are both black holes with apparently large egos and in Bagley's case have proven nothing on the floor. If you watched the GS game, I'd ask what's the realistic difference between Chriss and Bagley?

We've seen Chriss for years now. Bagley can get buckets, Chriss can't.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#263 » by BoogieTime » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:50 am

We aren’t going to be able to afford another wing contract and stay below the cap next year enough to secure Holmes, I don’t believe.

Assuming you want to keep Bazemore for 6-8(?) and believe in James, I don’t see how your keeping Barnes and both Buddy/BOgi

As much as Walton would probably like Buddy gone, and Buddy himself would like a trade (hence his Instagram liking of a trade), I have been thoroughly unimpressed with BOgi as a starter. It better be tired legs, from year round play (when will the org tell him to stop? Seems yearly). Otherwise he needs to come cheap or not be matched, from what I’ve been seeing from him lately
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#264 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:25 am

Would the Kings take an expiring contract for Harrison Barnes? Perhaps picks could be involved as well, but I'm more generally interested in knowing what the Kings want to do with Barnes. Do they want to keep him, or do they want to trade him to free up a spot in the starting lineup AND so that they have some cap room to work with for the summer of 2021.

My apologies in advance if asking this question is insulting and/or upsetting. Just wondering since he seems to be overpaid and on a "lengthy" deal.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#265 » by SactoKingsFan » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:32 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Would the Kings take an expiring contract for Harrison Barnes? Perhaps picks could be involved as well, but I'm more generally interested in knowing what the Kings want to do with Barnes. Do they want to keep him, or do they want to trade him to free up a spot in the starting lineup AND so that they have some cap room to work with for the summer of 2021.

My apologies in advance if asking this question is insulting and/or upsetting. Just wondering since he seems to be overpaid and on a "lengthy" deal.
You never really know with Vlade as GM but I think the plan is to keep Barnes. Kings have to overpay for free agents and although Barnes isn't anything special, there's some value in having a big wing that provides flexibility on both ends. The contract is set up to decline about 2M per year and will only be a bit more than 18M for the last year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#266 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:43 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Would the Kings take an expiring contract for Harrison Barnes? Perhaps picks could be involved as well, but I'm more generally interested in knowing what the Kings want to do with Barnes. Do they want to keep him, or do they want to trade him to free up a spot in the starting lineup AND so that they have some cap room to work with for the summer of 2021.

You never really know with Vlade as GM but I think the plan is to keep Barnes. Kings have to overpay for free agents and although Barnes isn't anything special, there's some value in having a big wing that provides flexibility on both ends. The contract is set up to decline about 2M per year and will only be a bit more than 18M for the last year.

Yeah, it's not a terrible contract. Tobias Harris is a better player, I'll say that much, but that dude is gonna get more than twice the amount Barnes will towards the end of their deals. That makes Barnes a better value player for sure.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#267 » by BoogieTime » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:56 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:

Yeah, it's not a terrible contract. Tobias Harris is a better player, I'll say that much, but that dude is gonna get more than twice the amount Barnes will towards the end of their deals. That makes Barnes a better value player for sure.

At this rate, I think it would be Hield moved in some type of salary reduction move if needed over Barnes, given Walton’s preferences
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#268 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:08 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:You never really know with Vlade as GM but I think the plan is to keep Barnes. Kings have to overpay for free agents and although Barnes isn't anything special, there's some value in having a big wing that provides flexibility on both ends. The contract is set up to decline about 2M per year and will only be a bit more than 18M for the last year.

At this rate, I think it would be Hield moved in some type of salary reduction move if needed over Barnes, given Walton’s preferences

Yeah, it's weird to me that he's coming off the bench and playing less now.
Many teams would love to have him though, that's for sure.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#269 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:35 pm

It's not that weird. We're a better team with him off the floor. He detracts from the team game dude to his terrible shot selection. I been saying it most of the year, he's a microwave guy. You put him in and if he's doing good he gets ~30 minutes that night. If his shots aren't falling you play him ~20.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#270 » by sacking123 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 9:18 am

This is just my opinion and probably not the general consensus, but Barnes this season has been what the FO thought he would be and IMO has lived up to the amount he is being paid.
There is no doubt the Kings wouldn't trade him just to free up a spot or to get cap space, there simply isn't anyone better that will be on less $$$ other than a rookie contract than Barnes.
The beauty of him, and generally speaking I don't like him as a baller, is he is so versatile and I have never heard him complain about his role, touches, shots, etc in ANY team he has been a part of and when you look at his career he has had a pretty diverse experience so that to me anyway speaks volumes and is often overlooked.
I can completely respect that and that means a lot to the Kings as it's so damn hard to convince players to be there when we're at our peak let alone at the bottom.

Honestly, what I fear is that all of our top players could legitimately ask out this summer.
Fox because he is sick of losing and hearing about the headaches in the team. No evidence of this though.
Buddy, because the entire year has been about Buddy.
Bagley, because he will make excuses about why he hasn't been successful in the NBA after 2 whole years.

After that we don't have anyone that is going to be a difference maker.
Bogdan is good and all, but I agree with Boogie, he gets tired every year due to the strain on his body from international play and I have spoken about this before, yet the Kings are paying him 10+ mil to get burnt out. Not Good Enough.

Holmes isn't enough of a difference maker to worry about and after that there isn't much.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#271 » by dckingsfan » Fri Mar 6, 2020 10:44 pm

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

After that loss to Philly, I kind of want to dive into what to do for 20-21. But now that some time has passed, I don't want to do that until I am pretty sure they have no chance of chasing that 8 spot.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#272 » by KF10 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:54 am

This team isn't built for a playoff run. This was obvious from the start. They can go on streaks that fools the fans but they are the same to the core. They are not a good team.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#273 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:57 am

simonbampfield wrote:

This is just my opinion and probably not the general consensus, but Barnes this season has been what the FO thought he would be and IMO has lived up to the amount he is being paid.
There is no doubt the Kings wouldn't trade him just to free up a spot or to get cap space, there simply isn't anyone better that will be on less $$$ other than a rookie contract than Barnes.
The beauty of him, and generally speaking I don't like him as a baller, is he is so versatile and I have never heard him complain about his role, touches, shots, etc in ANY team he has been a part of and when you look at his career he has had a pretty diverse experience so that to me anyway speaks volumes and is often overlooked.
I can completely respect that and that means a lot to the Kings as it's so damn hard to convince players to be there when we're at our peak let alone at the bottom.

Honestly, what I fear is that all of our top players could legitimately ask out this summer.
Fox because he is sick of losing and hearing about the headaches in the team. No evidence of this though.
Buddy, because the entire year has been about Buddy.
Bagley, because he will make excuses about why he hasn't been successful in the NBA after 2 whole years.

After that we don't have anyone that is going to be a difference maker.
Bogdan is good and all, but I agree with Boogie, he gets tired every year due to the strain on his body from international play and I have spoken about this before, yet the Kings are paying him 10+ mil to get burnt out. Not Good Enough.

Holmes isn't enough of a difference maker to worry about and after that there isn't much.

Fair enough. Thanks for the analysis.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#274 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 9, 2020 12:50 am

The Bulls are already looking at acquiring a new executive. Knicks and other teams have been in the rumor mill too

Have I given this ownership too much credit in assuming Vlade will be replaced and won’t be making this years pick?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#275 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 9:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:The Bulls are already looking at acquiring a new executive. Knicks and other teams have been in the rumor mill too

Have I given this ownership too much credit in assuming Vlade will be replaced and won’t be making this years pick?

Am I missing something?

Why would you get the impression that Vlade will be replaced? The guy is here to stay until his contract expires.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#276 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:55 pm

How's the attendance been?

This is the second year at the new arena?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#277 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:02 pm

KF10 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:The Bulls are already looking at acquiring a new executive. Knicks and other teams have been in the rumor mill too

Am I missing something?

Why would you get the impression that Vlade will be replaced? The guy is here to stay until his contract expires.

Because he has been bad at his job? The fans almost universally want him gone? Vivek came out an said ownership wanted Doncic, undermining him, and possibly wanting to hold responsible the greatest draft gaffe recent Kings history?

This seems an odd response. Are you a supporter of his? How would you know he’s here to stay until his contract is out
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#278 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:15 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Because he has been bad at his job? The fans almost universally want him gone? Vivek came out an said ownership wanted Doncic, undermining him?

You are giving ownership too much credit.

Unless, ownership finally grows a brain somehow.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#279 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:16 pm

I saw your edited post:

I'm not a Vlade fan at all. I wanted him sacked a long time ago.

All I wanted to point out if there was something that I was missing i.e. an article/source that shows Vlade's time in Sacramento is over.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#280 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:19 pm

wco81 wrote:How's the attendance been?

This is the second year at the new arena?

4th season.

Average attendance was 16,795 . Which results in 95.5% capacity.

Return to Sacramento Kings