ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1901 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Never understood the allure of Subway. There is nothing special about it. The bread isn't good, and most of the sandwiches are just cold cuts. I've always thought of it as subs for people too lazy to pack a lunch.

15 years ago the quality was better and there were less better options. They also marketed, "a giant loaf of bread with some healthier stuff on it (maybe) is healthy!" which actually was somewhat true but not as much as really was the case.

Now I would not go there. So many other choices.

I also lived in a town where Subway was one of the better fast food options so walking there after school or whatever was a thing. Now I live near 5000 options within a 5 mile drive. So from my own perspective, that's a thing.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#1902 » by tski1972 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Quiznos was easily the one sub shop I’d go to when given the choice, then they started disappearing. Are they even around any more?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1903 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:45 pm

emunney wrote:<clears throat> Cheba Hut
Cheba but is really good. Cool they expanded to Wisconsin now. I used to frequent the original in Tempe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1904 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:49 pm

tski1972 wrote:Quiznos was easily the one sub shop I’d go to when given the choice, then they started disappearing. Are they even around any more?

Barely any but there's one 10 minutes away from me. I wonder if the COVID stuff will be the nail in the coffin.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1905 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:51 pm

There were other copies of this and it was not the original, but did anyone have Fat Sandwich in Madison? This was like 2008-2010.

I know these types of sandwiches exist and began mostly in New Jersey and then this particular chain tried to create something on a few college campuses but I think I drunkenly ate a sandwich with chicken fingers, fries, jalapeno poppers, and ham or something like that at 3 AM after a night at Monday's like 5-10 times. I doubt I would actually enjoy it sober, but it was still an experience.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#1906 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Never understood the allure of Subway. There is nothing special about it. The bread isn't good, and most of the sandwiches are just cold cuts. I've always thought of it as subs for people too lazy to pack a lunch.

Flatbread + Chipotle Southwest + Peppers and then meat (Egg for breakfast, steak or chicken) is pretty good.

That said, you could say the bold part about any fast food. Just about any meal I cook at home will be just as good (if not better) and cheaper as heated up leftovers
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,647

Post#1907 » by emunney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:08 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Cheba but is really good. Cool they expanded to Wisconsin now. I used to frequent the original in Tempe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I used to work at the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) shop in Tucson.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1908 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:27 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Flatbread + Chipotle Southwest + Peppers and then meat (Egg for breakfast, steak or chicken) is pretty good.

That said, you could say the bold part about any fast food. Just about any meal I cook at home will be just as good (if not better) and cheaper as heated up leftovers

Anything with fries, onion rings, etc. doesn't taste good if you reheat some frozen ones you made the night before. Chicken nuggets and patties are soggy reheated.

But my point was mainly that something like the Subway Cold Cut Combo is a cold sandwich that you can make at home and you will be eating it cold just like you would buy it. The only advantage for places like subway is if you don't work in an office environment with a microwave and want a hot sandwich.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,888

Post#1909 » by jschligs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm

tski1972 wrote:Quiznos was easily the one sub shop I’d go to when given the choice, then they started disappearing. Are they even around any more?

All that reminds me of is the most amazing commercial ever:

Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#1910 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Potbelly basically knocked out Quizno's, but they were damn good. Best veggie sub I ever had.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1911 » by vital_signs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Subway is all about customization for me but I know it's not necessarily a great sub. A tuna sub with cheese, spinach, matoes,green peppers, banana peppers, jalepeno, and olives still hits the spot when I'm craving. Sometimes I just want a subway cookie
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#1912 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Quiznos was good. I would get their little flatbread type Sammies.

Now days if I want a sandwich I go to a little artisan cheese shop that makes good hot and cold sandwiches. They're overpriced, but tasty. Dark rye, horseradish sauce, roast beef, turkey, jack cheese, red onion and lettuce.

If I'm anticipating a hangover there's a bar down on Water St known for their slow cooker roast beef (or glazed ham) and cheese on a bun. Their secret is the spicy horseradish mustard. They're sloppiest, tastiest thing in EC I think.

Or if I'm desperate just for a quick bite there's an Erberts and Gerberts half a mile away from work and I prefer that place to any of the typical chain sub shops.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#1913 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:06 pm

This fast food talk has been great everyone, but I think we really need to refocus our efforts towards what got the conversation started in the first place. I still have not received my french fry coupon from McDonald's. :)
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#1914 » by buckboy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:28 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Mushrooms are fungus. Large, unchecked fungus. Like athletes foot only much, much bigger.

You waste a steak with XXL athletes foot? What is wrong with you people??

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

This is almost as bad as some of the Thon Maker takes I saw on this board.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#1915 » by buckboy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:30 pm

There's one a mile from my house in Grafton. I'm not a fan, but it's there.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#1916 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:There were other copies of this and it was not the original, but did anyone have Fat Sandwich in Madison? This was like 2008-2010.

I know these types of sandwiches exist and began mostly in New Jersey and then this particular chain tried to create something on a few college campuses but I think I drunkenly ate a sandwich with chicken fingers, fries, jalapeno poppers, and ham or something like that at 3 AM after a night at Monday's like 5-10 times. I doubt I would actually enjoy it sober, but it was still an experience.

I went there a couple times when it was open. Both times I was disappointed. It was more of "sounds tastier in theory than in practice."

My late night stop in Madison was Jin's Chicken and Fish when that cart would open up after midnight. You had to get there 15 minutes early or you'd be in line forever - that is, unless you were willing to pay double to go to the VIP window behind back.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1917 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:There were other copies of this and it was not the original, but did anyone have Fat Sandwich in Madison? This was like 2008-2010.

I went there a couple times when it was open. Both times I was disappointed. It was more of "sounds tastier in theory than in practice."

My late night stop in Madison was Jin's Chicken and Fish when that cart would open up after midnight. You had to get there 15 minutes early or you'd be in line forever - that is, unless you were willing to pay double to go to the VIP window behind back.

Jin's was incredible. I'm assuming it is not still around? I think they had a screen with whatever 2006-era Mike Jones whatever music video (dating myself) going on as well so the ambiance was great.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#1918 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Mags FTW wrote:[But my point was mainly that something like the Subway Cold Cut Combo is a cold sandwich that you can make at home and you will be eating it cold just like you would buy it. The only advantage for places like subway is if you don't work in an office environment with a microwave and want a hot sandwich.

Having your fridge stocked with tomatoes, onions, lettuce/spinach, green peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, olives, jalapenos, etc. gets to be expensive and whenever I have things like that on hand it almost always goes to waste.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#1919 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Jin's was incredible. I'm assuming it is not still around? I think they had a screen with whatever 2006-era Mike Jones whatever music video (dating myself) going on as well so the ambiance was great.

I don't think it is? Then again, I haven't been on State Street that late in the day for about 8 years or so.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#1920 » by BUCKnation » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Easily the best sub shop

Return to Milwaukee Bucks