OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,123

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1941 » by DingleJerry » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
jschligs wrote:We've been eating in and cooking every meal for over a month now. Last night we decided to do take out at a restaurant we find decent/maybe slightly above average, Me & Julio's in Fitchburg. Needless to say it's ravaging my stomach since the moment I ate it.

My mom & stepdad live really close to there and that is good to hear/somewhat surprising...it just seems like a somewhat bad location so restaurants are doomed to fail there. I liked the last few iterations of Italian places there but they all folded up and so I don't even know if they gave Me & Julio the time of day.

I've popped in there for drinks a time or two but have had several people speak negatively on the food. Seems like you like it overall before this experience though, but that's what I've heard on it. But, small sample size etc.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#1942 » by KidA24 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:02 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:We just signed up for a CSA for the spring/summer. Three fold: to help support our local farmers, to help us continue having fresh ingredients/healthy options between grocery trips (we're only going every 1.5-2 weeks thus far), and to supplement what will likely be a down year in our own garden.

I'm just starting to look into this. Any good links? I'm a single guy, so it's tough for me to commit to a whole ton of veggies.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,652

Post#1943 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:25 pm

KidA24 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:We just signed up for a CSA for the spring/summer. Three fold: to help support our local farmers, to help us continue having fresh ingredients/healthy options between grocery trips (we're only going every 1.5-2 weeks thus far), and to supplement what will likely be a down year in our own garden.

I'm just starting to look into this. Any good links? I'm a single guy, so it's tough for me to commit to a whole ton of veggies.

I mean I can, but I'm in Georgia :)
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#1944 » by stellation » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 pm

KidA24 wrote:

A lot of CSAs will work with you on that- they don't want food to be wasted so you might be able to get a fortnightly or monthly instead of weekly box, or a slightly smaller weekly box.

That said, if you find a CSA box still a bit much and you don't mind a challenge I'd highly recommend getting a book on preserving and start trying your hand at doing small scale pickles. Pretty addictive, and you'd be surprised how little you need to do a few ferments- you'll get a great little jar of sauerkraut out of a 1/4 of a head of cabbage and a grated carrot.
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,992

Post#1945 » by midranger » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 pm

I was also looking into the CSA thing. Milwaukee Area. Have a couple in mind. Any suggestion.

As a single guy, if you learn to love veggies now, you’ll stay much thinner and live longer as you become an old man like me.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1946 » by crkone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:09 am

We just hit up the Tosa farmers market every Sat in the summer to stock up on veggies. A good tip is to get off your ass and get there right when they open at 8AM.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,447

Post#1947 » by steger_3434 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 am

crkone wrote:We just hit up the Tosa farmers market every Sat in the summer to stock up on veggies. A good tip is to get off your ass and get there right when they open at 8AM.

The way things are going I doubt farmers markets are around this summer. Another group of people that struggle every year will now be put under even more financial struggles

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,228

Post#1948 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:57 am

With the live concert industry frozen by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, ticketing companies and music fans alike are feeling the financial burden.

“In the last few weeks, 28,000-plus events have been canceled, postponed or rescheduled – 23,000 in the U.S. alone,” reads a statement from ticket-resale company StubHub posted to concert-industry website Pollstar. “Given the unprecedented impact the coronavirus has had on the live events industry, we have adapted our policies in the U.S. and Canada while continuing to go above and beyond for our customers.”

StubHub isn't the only one evolving its model during the pandemic. Ticketmaster recently changed the wording of its policy, which had previously said that fans could receive a refund if their concert was “postponed, rescheduled or canceled”; now it only lists cancellation as a reason for buyers to get their money back. It’s these “adapted” policies that have angered some fans.

“This is my money that they are holding hostage,” music fan Tami Combs explained in a conversation with the Chicago Tribune. The 58-year-old yoga instructor had been trying to recoup the money she’d paid for several 2020 concerts, but said that Ticketmaster was unresponsive. Her frustrations echo the rage of many buyers caught behind the legal fine print of ticket purchases.

When fans buy tickets to a concert or sporting event, they agree to abide by the seller’s refund policy before completing the transaction. For most, this is a small and forgettable step: Click the box that says “accept,” get the tickets and move on. While cancellations generally receive automatic refunds, postponed or rescheduled shows - a category the large majority of 2020 concerts would currently fall under - wade into a gray area that is often handled on a case-by-case basis.

“In the past, with a routine volume of event interruptions, we and our event organizers have been able to consistently offer more flexibility with refunds for postponed and rescheduled events,” Ticketmaster said in a statement. “However, considering the currently unprecedented volume of affected events, we are focused on supporting organizers as they work to determine venue availability, new dates and refund policies, while rescheduling thousands of events in what continues to be an evolving situation.”

Meanwhile, StubHub insists “it is currently impossible for us to offer immediate cash refunds to all buyers.” The ticketing giant is instead offering a coupon for fans to use toward a future purchase, valued at 120 percent of the original purchase.

Like so many major industries, those in live events are struggling to survive the financial crisis brought on by COVID-19. The industry has already seen major layoffs, and uncertainty surrounding future concerts and festivals has many feeling uneasy. StubHub itself recently furloughed two-thirds of its employees. One expert suspected that ticket brokers are likely in “severe financial difficulties,” even suggesting coronavirus could destroy the third-party ticket-resale industry.

The year had been poised for unprecedented financial gains in the concert industry. In 2020’s first quarter, gross revenue was up more than 10 percent from 2019, a year that set the previous record for global box office. Rock acts were playing a vital role in these early 2020 numbers, as tours by the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Motley Crue with Def Leppard, Eagles and the reunited Rage Against the Machine ranked among the year’s most anticipated treks. Pollstar projects that the industry could have topped $12 billion in revenue this year, had coronavirus not brought live events to a grinding halt. Now, if the worst-case scenario came to fruition and all concerts for 2020 were canceled, the industry would be looking at a roughly $9 billion loss.

These numbers, of course, are of little concern to individual concertgoers who are much more focused on their own outlays. A ticket buyer in Wisconsin has already filed a class-action lawsuit against StubHub, claiming that the company's financial constraints "are entirely of its own making" and that altering its refund policy from cash to coupons is "cruel and wrong." Meanwhile, many fans admit they are unlikely to return to live shows even once social-distancing bans are lifted.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1949 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:59 am

Live Nation CEO Joe Berchtold has addressed the current state of the concert industry, including the topic of refunds from his company's subsidiary, Ticketmaster.

“We’ve looked at this on two different time horizons,” the executive explained to CNBC regarding Live Nation’s outlook towards future events in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. “One is a year from now, 15 months from now, we have the vaccine in place. We’re highly confident that concerts will be, 2021, 2022 will be bigger than ever. The artists want to perform. The fans want to attend the shows. We’re very comfortable, very confident that as we get through this, we’ll be able to get back to the normal of being able to go to the shows thanks to the vaccine and the treatment.”
In the shorter term, however, Berchtold admitted there will “certainly” not be concerts for the next few months. Only as local governments start loosening their social distancing restrictions will Live Nation begin to consider holding events again. "Every market’s gonna be different in terms of the pace that it opens," the CEO noted. "Our view is we listen to the facts and we listen to the scientists."

Berchtold went on to explain that “about 90%” of his company’s events are in the process of being rescheduled, while the remaining 10% have been cancelled. The differentiation between a “cancelled” event and a “postponed” event is at the heart of the argument over ticket refunds. Recently, a number of ticketing agencies, including Ticketmaster, have come under fire for not immediately distributing refunds following COVID-19’s unprecedented effect on the concert industry.

“I think there’s a lot of misperception about Ticketmaster,” Berchtold opined. “Ticketmaster doesn’t sell these tickets and then sit on a mountain of cash. Ticketmaster sells tickets, then it gives the cash over to the venues where the events are being held, the venues will either hold the cash, give it to the event organizer, maybe eventually to an artist.”

He continued: “Before Ticketmaster [can] issue a refund on a rescheduled event, it has to go to the venue, get that money, a lot of those venues are closed because of the current situation, they have to then sometimes go and get the money from somebody else, and so on down the chain. So it’s a pretty big process to go through and right now the volume of it is just so huge.”

Still, the company is doing what it can to appease ticket buyers. “What we’re trying to do is follow a standard process that says as soon as it gets rescheduled and there’s a date, so people can then determine can I go to that time or not, then we’re gonna have an opportunity to get some refunds.”

In situations thus far where fans have been offered the choice between tickets to a rescheduled show or a refund, Berchtold says “between 5-20% of the people” have opted for the refund.

As the CEO looks ahead, he predicts an active 2021 music festival season. “Certainly by the time we go through another cycle of being able to be outdoors, those warm summer nights, listening to music, having a beer with a friend, I think that will be back absolutely in full force.”

Live Nation also plans to integrate health screenings at their future events, using similar strategies to what the airline and travel industries are discussing. These include a “combination of temperature checks, testing, tracing, everything else that will be used from a technology standpoint.”

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1950 » by crkone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 am

steger_3434 wrote:
crkone wrote:We just hit up the Tosa farmers market every Sat in the summer to stock up on veggies. A good tip is to get off your ass and get there right when they open at 8AM.

The way things are going I doubt farmers markets are around this summer. Another group of people that struggle every year will now be put under even more financial struggles

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Very probable.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#1951 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 am

This is my 4th attempt at making the same ring with the opals I posted a few pages back.
I tell ya, removing microscratches and buffing jewelry is a dark art.

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,371

Post#1952 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:19 am

I made a ring in high school art class. I think it was a piece of copper with some lines I cut into it because we needed to make a “design.” I’m not artistic.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1953 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 am

looks like a sexy snake with a necklace coming to make sweet love
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#1954 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:26 am

trwi7 wrote:I made a ring in high school art class. I think it was a piece of copper with some lines I cut into it because we needed to make a “design.” I’m not artistic.

Υeah I kinda suck at it too, it was pure stubbornness to finish what I started
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#1955 » by emunney » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Mags FTW wrote:looks like a sexy snake with a necklace coming to make sweet love

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,643

Post#1956 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Mags FTW wrote:looks like a sexy snake with a necklace coming to make sweet love

I love the sexy slither of a lady snake. Oh yeah.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,959

Post#1957 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Read on Twitter

LMAO
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1958 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:This is my 4th attempt at making the same ring with the opals I posted a few pages back.
I tell ya, removing microscratches and buffing jewelry is a dark art.

That looks awesome
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1959 » by jschligs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Does anyone know if auto manufacturers or dealers are going to have to offer deals during this period? I'd assume sales have been ass, but if I could pick up a truck that I've been planning to get on a little bit better deal it would actually get me to bite.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1960 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

I would imagine there will be some sweet car deals coming.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks