Andre Drummond 'Likely' To Pick Up $28.7 Million Player Option

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Andre Drummond 'Likely' To Pick Up $28.7 Million Player Option  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:39 am

Andre Drummond is 'likely' to pick up his $28.7 million player option for next season, league sources told Chris Fedor of cleveland.com

Fedor adds that the Cavs, who acquired Drummond at the trade deadline, were not given any assurances from Drummond about his future before the trade.

Drummond fits with the Cavs plan having of a rim protector on defense and a lob threat on offense to help develop their young players.

Drummond averaged 17.5 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks with the Cavs. 

The Cavs could go over the cap in re-signing Tristan Thompson due to having his Bird rights. The team also still has its mid-level exception to strengthen next season's roster.

Via Chris Fedor/cleveland.com

FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: Andre Drummond 'Likely' To Pick Up $28.7 Million Player Option 

Post#2 » by FreeBoosie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 am

Shocking lol
greggschapiro
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#3 » by greggschapiro » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:49 am

His option is to pick that up or probably sign a 4 year 20 million deal. So there is no real option.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:47 pm

I believe this years salary cap is based off the 19 season and then the 2021 will be based off of 2020.

Given the loss of money from the money situation and now covid 19, aren’t the deals going to be a lot smaller?

It might actually make sense for him and demar to actually opt out now before next year really makes things hard for them to get long term deals, especially with the limited space teams will have for giannis amd all the other guys
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#5 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:39 pm

$28.7 large, his last big pay day, damn right he's gonna take it
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#6 » by Scalabrine » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:17 pm

greggschapiro wrote:His option is to pick that up or probably sign a 4 year 20 million deal. So there is no real option.

31 year old DeAndre Jordan signed a 4 year 40 million dollar contract. 26 year old Andre Drummond should be able to AT LEAST get that...
Go Knicks!
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
greggschapiro wrote:His option is to pick that up or probably sign a 4 year 20 million deal. So there is no real option.

31 year old DeAndre Jordan signed a 4 year 40 million dollar contract. 26 year old Andre Drummond should be able to AT LEAST get that...

I agree. I think people are undervaluing him because of situation. He would look different on a team like BOS with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Hayward and Smart on the perimeter and a great X's and O's coach. Teams would be forced to play a true center or double him and leave a shooter open.

Drummond isn't worth $28M, but he is clearly worth more than $5M. I could easily see him getting 4/80. It really depends on which teams with cap space strike out in free agency.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#8 » by Scalabrine » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I agree. I think people are undervaluing him because of situation. He would look different on a team like BOS with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Hayward and Smart on the perimeter and a great X's and O's coach. Teams would be forced to play a true center or double him and leave a shooter open.

Drummond isn't worth $28M, but he is clearly worth more than $5M. I could easily see him getting 4/80. It really depends on which teams with cap space strike out in free agency.

Valanciunas signed a 3/45 this past offseason (15m/yr).
Capelas signed a 5/70 (18m/yr)
Myles Turner signed a 4/80 (20m/yr)
Vucevic signed a 4/100 (25m/yr)

Seems like he's somewhere in that range.
Go Knicks!
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,129

Post#9 » by Darthlukey » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:26 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Boston's offence relies on having skilled players at all 5 spots, preferably shooters. His size and rebounding would help, but our offence would suffer
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:03 am

Darthlukey wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:31 year old DeAndre Jordan signed a 4 year 40 million dollar contract. 26 year old Andre Drummond should be able to AT LEAST get that...

Boston's offence relies on having skilled players at all 5 spots, preferably shooters. His size and rebounding would help, but our offence would suffer

It's interesting that you believe Drummond isn't a "skilled" player. He is lightyears better than Kanter or Theis. 1st in REB, 1st in ORB, 3rd in STL, 11th in BLK. And he is an efficient scorer that consistently draws a double. He had nine 20/20 games this season! And you are underestimating your coach. What has Horford done in his new situation? Drummond would be a beast in BOS.

That said, I wasn't suggesting that BOS should go out and get Drummond. I was more suggesting that there are teams in the league where he would be more valuable than where he is now or has been. Right or wrong, someone will believe he's a fit and he will get paid. He might even get paid too much... but he is certainly skilled!
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,129

Post#11 » by Darthlukey » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:03 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I agree. I think people are undervaluing him because of situation. He would look different on a team like BOS with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Hayward and Smart on the perimeter and a great X's and O's coach. Teams would be forced to play a true center or double him and leave a shooter open.

It's interesting that you believe Drummond isn't a "skilled" player. He is lightyears better than Kanter or Theis. 1st in REB, 1st in ORB, 3rd in STL, 11th in BLK. And he is an efficient scorer that consistently draws a double. He had nine 20/20 games this season! And you are underestimating your coach. What has Horford done in his new situation? Drummond would be a beast in BOS.

That said, I wasn't suggesting that BOS should go out and get Drummond. I was more suggesting that there are teams in the league where he would be more valuable than where he is now or has been. Right or wrong, someone will believe he's a fit and he will get paid. He might even get paid too much... but he is certainly skilled!

Those are hustle stats (of course they have their place) but they don't show an actual refined skill set. Kanter is infinitely more skilled as a scorer (not a better player, but much more skilled)
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:Boston's offence relies on having skilled players at all 5 spots, preferably shooters. His size and rebounding would help, but our offence would suffer

Those are hustle stats (of course they have their place) but they don't show an actual refined skill set. Kanter is infinitely more skilled as a scorer (not a better player, but much more skilled)

Dude, go watch this video.... no, no, no... don't just say you watched it. Actually watch it and then come back in here and compare Drummond to Kanter. :nonono:

The pick from Kemba at 1:42 is pretty nice! And yes, Kanter has a nicer stroke and is great at using his length to shoot over guys. I love me some Kanter. But Drummond has far better hands and footwork. Those are skills. Kanter likes to back guys down in the post for several seconds before the eventual step-back; Drummond often takes his first step before catching the ball. One of the quickest bigs in the league. If Drummond was on BOS, Kanter would get 10 minutes a night.

He's 3rd in steals per game... that isn't a hustle stat. Drummond is the only center in the top 40. That's quick hands, not hustle. Last time I checked, most players were hustling!

Kanter and Drummond actually have the exact same career FG% (.542) Not important, but kinda weird! :D

Return to Wiretap Discussion