The Washington Redskins Thread

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#1421 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:50 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Dudes 25 and the skins need talent. Period.
Only if he can play TE

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

I guess. It’s also a question of resource allocation.

You can only have so many players at each position and you need some backups to be quality special teams contributors.

You only have 53 roster spots and have to be under the salary cap.

A team with, say, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Jeremy Sprinkle is not better than a team with Mahomes, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Zach Ertz and Deshazor Everette, even though the latter has more talent.

Back in the precap, unlimited IR, large roster days, the Skins under Cooke, Beathard and Gibbs went three or four deep with starters every where.

Agreed - especially since the Skins already have Kerrigan and Orchard projected to be the backup DE's. Not to mention that Ngakoue is under-sized to be a 43 DE. Honestly, I think it makes sense to trade Kerrigan rather than bench him. I don't think he's fast enough to play OLBer in the 43.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1422 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:12 pm

ESPN's pick for Skins vet most likely to be cut or traded?

Running back Adrian Peterson

Washington's backfield is a crowded mess, with Peterson joined by Derrius Guice, Bryce Love, Peyton Barber and third-round pick Antonio Gibson. The rookie is the only lock to make the active roster, but I don't really see any reason for a rebuilding Washington team to stick with the 35-year-old Peterson.

Ownership seemed to keep Peterson on the roster last season, and he came in handy after Guice went down with an injury in Week 1, but new coach Ron Rivera should have enough personnel power to make tough decisions. Peterson could earn a reprieve if one of the backs ahead of him gets hurt, but the Barber signing seemed to point to Peterson's eventual release.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft#WSH

Didn't they just resign him? Of course, if that was before the Rivera hire all bets would be off. But Guice can't stay healthy and they could always use a WR spot on Gibson. It'll be interesting to see how it works out...assuming there's a season that is.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#1423 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:28 am

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:From what I've read they like the corners we have.

Fuller slot & Darby/Moreau outside ... Moreland backing them up

I’m concerned with Darby staying healthy and would love another CB to develop not necessarily start.

Right now it’s Greg Stroman, Danny Johnson & Simeon Thomas ... small, small & idk lol 8-)

Gleaning comments that Fuller's made, he'd rather play outside, and he expects to. I think they like Moreland inside. And Darby gives them their first pure speed CB in a long time. I think Moreau's going to have to prove a lot to get in the starting lineup. To me, Moreland's gotta play a lot this season because of his nose for the ball. I think Danny Johnson's the next best they have behind those guys. He's small, but he still hits hard, and he's fast.

If Fuller & Darby are outside then I agree with you Moreland plays the slot. Moreau looked a lot better outside then in the slot. I liked Johnson too, but I’m wondering if he lasts the whole season without an injury.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1424 » by gambitx777 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 am

I think it comes down to, how much does he coast. Can you move him to another position of need and have him be effective, or can you fit him in at his natural position and have him be better than what you have.
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Dudes 25 and the skins need talent. Period.

I guess. It’s also a question of resource allocation.

You can only have so many players at each position and you need some backups to be quality special teams contributors.

You only have 53 roster spots and have to be under the salary cap.

A team with, say, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Jeremy Sprinkle is not better than a team with Mahomes, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Zach Ertz and Deshazor Everette, even though the latter has more talent.

Back in the precap, unlimited IR, large roster days, the Skins under Cooke, Beathard and Gibbs went three or four deep with starters every where.

Agreed - especially since the Skins already have Kerrigan and Orchard projected to be the backup DE's. Not to mention that Ngakoue is under-sized to be a 43 DE. Honestly, I think it makes sense to trade Kerrigan rather than bench him. I don't think he's fast enough to play OLBer in the 43.

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1425 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1426 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 5, 2020 12:28 pm

Sounds like the NFL is making plans to play in a social distancing environment. One of the ideas is to only fill stadiums to about 25% capacity.

The ‘Slurs should be fine then, without really changing anything.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1427 » by Ruzious » Tue May 5, 2020 1:01 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Sounds like the NFL is making plans to play in a social distancing environment. One of the ideas is to only fill stadiums to about 25% capacity.

The ‘Slurs should be fine then, without really changing anything.

Hey, that's not fair. Fans of opposing teams usually get the stadium half-filled. 8-)

Fwiw, at least a month ago I suggested selling every 3rd seat.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1428 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 6, 2020 6:18 pm

Very good read.

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1429 » by Ruzious » Wed May 6, 2020 6:50 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Very good read.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

That's a great read on what it's like for someone who's always had success - handles dealing with a whole new level of opposition.
While I don't think he'll be a superstar, I'd be very surprised if he's not successful. It kinda irritates me when folks are already planning on what to do when/not it - he fails. At least give him a full season before writing him off. He has the mental and physical tools to succeed.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1430 » by Wizardspride » Thu May 7, 2020 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1431 » by Wizardspride » Mon May 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1432 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1433 » by Ruzious » Tue May 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

AGG was so consistently productive in college - he seems taylor... made to fill the possession receiver role. I think he's a better prospect than Garcon was, as he's just as physical and significantly taller and heavier. Listed at 6'4 220, he even looks like he has the frame to add more weight. Watching highlights, he naturally plays a physical style, and NFL CB's are still tiny compared to him. Every team's gonna put their best CB on McLaurin, so I'm not seeing how they're gonna stop AGG. AG's going to have more spectacular plays, but AGG's gonna be the player they need to grind out first downs and get the ball in the end zone.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Wizardspride » Thu May 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1435 » by Ruzious » Fri May 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Bizarre. Why in the world would Dunbar need to rob anyone? And with him being a free agent after this season, if he really did this - this costs him a fortune.

RR's probably a LOT smarter than me, because I would have tried to re-sign Dunbar and given him an extension. But I guess we should wait until we have all the facts. :nonono:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1436 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:47 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Bizarre. Why in the world would Dunbar need to rob anyone? And with him being a free agent after this season, if he really did this - this costs him a fortune.

RR's probably a LOT smarter than me, because I would have tried to re-sign Dunbar and given him an extension. But I guess we should wait until we have all the facts. :nonono:

I hate to admit it. But, given that he forced his way out and we got practically nothing for him after developing him... I hope he never plays another down in the NFL.

It’s irrational. Unkind. Anti humanistic. Very different from how I am when I’m not a sports fan.

But, nonetheless... so long dude.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1437 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1438 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 8, 2020 1:52 pm

I hardly recognized Haskins in those pictures. He said he's lost 10 pounds - down to 220 this offseason, and his body-fat % is 7% - I think it was about 15% when he was drafted. An extra bit of mobility goes a long way for a QB. A lot of "experts" are projecting him to have a bad year - I think he's gonna surprise them.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1439 » by queridiculo » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:42 pm

Man, I can't believe this team name is still a thing.

With all the **** that's happening, how does Snyder not recognize the massive opportunity to do the right thing and rename the team.

Washington Natives, Warriors, what else have you.

This franchise could really embrace the natives heritage and actually use their platform to do good for a community that's largely overlooked and dismissed, more so than any other minorities in this country.

From a marketing and merchandising perspective this is really a total no-brainer and you'd think that Snyder's stadion plans would probably be looked at in a far more positive light than what's going on with this franchise right now.

It pains me that this racist nickname continues to be a thing, for **** sake, change it already.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1440 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:17 pm

queridiculo wrote:Man, I can't believe this team name is still a thing.

With all the **** that's happening, how does Snyder not recognize the massive opportunity to do the right thing and rename the team.

Washington Natives, Warriors, what else have you.

This franchise could really embrace the natives heritage and actually use their platform to do good for a community that's largely overlooked and dismissed, more so than any other minorities in this country.

From a marketing and merchandising perspective this is really a total no-brainer and you'd think that Snyder's stadion plans would probably be looked at in a far more positive light than what's going on with this franchise right now.

It pains me that this racist nickname continues to be a thing, for **** sake, change it already.

This is not going to be an easy battle. It's because a lot of fans just refuse to believe that the team they've grown up with and loved has a disgraceful name. I remember growing thru that myself - probably 15 years ago or so. I justified it then by saying we respect the name and we certainly don't mean it as an insult. When we say Hail to the ..., we mean it as a celebration. Since then, I studied up on it, and there's no doubt it's unacceptable. But I have relatives, who I can't talk to about it - because they love that name, and they will get red (literally) in the face arguing with me. If the name is changed, a portion of fans will feel betrayed and drop the team.

Return to Washington Wizards