ImageImageImage

Coach who can take us to the playoffs next year.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Re: Coach who can take us to the playoffs next year. 

Post#21 » by Dewey » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:21 am

shrink wrote:To me, there is only one thing that gets a coach fired: They lose the locker room.

This can happen through normal relationship changes, often aggravated by losses, or a failure to achieve team goals. I think the front office still likes him, and despite ill-fitting pieces right up until the trade deadline, Ryan has been willing to stick with Rosas’ plan, even if extra losses hurt his chances of keeping his job. But the players are what’s important, so let me ask this:

Do you think Ryan has lost the locker room? Do the players still respect him and play hard for him?

It’s a 2-way street ... majority of players who don’t “play for a coach” often have a questionable future in the NBA...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#22 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#23 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Joerger, Joerger, Joerger.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#24 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 pm

shrink wrote:To me, there is only one thing that gets a coach fired: They lose the locker room.

This can happen through normal relationship changes, often aggravated by losses, or a failure to achieve team goals. I think the front office still likes him, and despite ill-fitting pieces right up until the trade deadline, Ryan has been willing to stick with Rosas’ plan, even if extra losses hurt his chances of keeping his job. But the players are what’s important, so let me ask this:

Do you think Ryan has lost the locker room? Do the players still respect him and play hard for him?

My best guess is no. The players don't seem to play hard and if they don't play hard that doesn't show much respect.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#25 » by KGdaBom » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is almost unbelievable.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#26 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:44 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is almost unbelievable.

That number somehow seems small considering all the names and faces I try to remember from recently.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#27 » by minimus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

KGdaBom wrote:

My best guess is no. The players don't seem to play hard and if they don't play hard that doesn't show much respect.

Yeah, especially Okogie, Beasley, JJ, ML.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#28 » by packforfreedom » Tue May 5, 2020 11:38 am

What are you all thinking about D'Antoni if the Rockets decide to fire him (for Thibs lol).

I am and always been a huge fan. He's one of the true innovative coaches in league and I think there's no one better in adapting his style to his best player's skillset. He would build an absolute juggernaught offense around KAT.
minimus
RealGM

Post#29 » by minimus » Tue May 5, 2020 11:55 am

packforfreedom wrote:What are you all thinking about D'Antoni if the Rockets decide to fire him (for Thibs lol).

I am and always been a huge fan. He's one of the true innovative coaches in league and I think there's no one better in adapting his style to his best player's skillset. He would built an absolute juggernaught offense around KAT.

Hire D'Antoni as head coach, keep Ryan and make him responsible for player development. I want to see KAT-Gordon-Okogie-Beasley-DLo as a reincarnation of Suns with Amare-Marion-Bell-Barbosa-Nash

We can even assemble similar roster:

JJ, Evans, top3 pick for Arron Gordon, ORL FRP (#15)
Why for ORL? This might be the best return value they can find for AG.

Culver, Spellman, Nowell, MIN 2020 SRP for Josh Richardson
Why for PHI? They can promote Thybulle to full time starter role, get a bunch of useful players on cheap contracts.

Draft microwave scorer such as Maxey/Kira Lewis Jr, add 3&D prospect such as Saddiq Bey

KAT/Reid/Vanderbilt
Gordon/Juancho/Vanderbilt
Richardson/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Bey
DLo/Maxey/JMac
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#30 » by shrink » Tue May 5, 2020 1:37 pm

minimus wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:What are you all thinking about D'Antoni if the Rockets decide to fire him (for Thibs lol).

I am and always been a huge fan. He's one of the true innovative coaches in league and I think there's no one better in adapting his style to his best player's skillset. He would built an absolute juggernaught offense around KAT.

Hire D'Antoni as head coach, keep Ryan and make him responsible for player development. I want to see KAT-Gordon-Okogie-Beasley-DLo as a reincarnation of Suns with Amare-Marion-Bell-Barbosa-Nash

Why for PHI? They can promote Thybulle to full time starter role, get a bunch of useful players on cheap contracts.

Draft microwave scorer such as Maxey/Kira Lewis Jr, add 3&D prospect such as Saddiq Bey

KAT/Reid/Vanderbilt
Richardson/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Bey
DLo/Maxey/JMac

I like the idea of repairing our defense with Josh Richardson and Aaron Gordon, but I don’t think we could afford all our starters. It feels like a good time though to buy low on both players. I wonder if we could use Beasley in a sign-and-trade to help match salaries? Personally, I’d love to send them DeAngelo Russell (plus stuff) if they decide that Ben Simmons doesn’t fit next to Embiid.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#31 » by minimus » Tue May 5, 2020 2:14 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:

KAT/Reid/Vanderbilt
Richardson/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Bey
DLo/Maxey/JMac

I like the idea of repairing our defense with Josh Richardson and Aaron Gordon, but I don’t think we could afford all our starters. It feels like a good time though to buy low on both players. I wonder if we could use Beasley in a sign-and-trade to help match salaries? Personally, I’d love to send them DeAngelo Russell (plus stuff) if they decide that Ben Simmons doesn’t fit next to Embiid.

I like the idea of Ben Simmons playing big PG, however, there are two things to makes me very skeptical:

1) his contracts is almost 4mil per year bigger than DLo contract
2) as much as he is better than DLo at defense he can't be played in offense

Pairing Ben Simmons with KAT is very specific scenario and I prefer to find quality defenders next to KAT-DLo, over finding scorers/shooters next to Simmons.

Just look at these numbers:

Tobias Harris 180mil/5yrs
Khris Middleton 178mil/5yrs

I am afraid that next Ingram, Tatum contract will not be smaller.

This is how much you need to pay to get decent scorers/shooters. So I'd be happy to get Aaron Gordon for 18,16mil and then add low profile 3&D players such as Josh Richardson, Jae Crowder, Moe Harkless etc.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#32 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 5, 2020 4:09 pm

How about this guy?

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, the Knicks would get the first crack at hiring Tom Thibodeau if the team moves on from current head coach Mike Miller.
Knicks president Leon Rose has worked with Thibodeau before and is a fan of his toughness and old-school ways, Berman adds. Thibs is well known in the fantasy community for his objection to load management and you'd think he'd be more apt to play Mitchell Robinson, New York's best fantasy asset by a mile (for category leagues). Houston's Mike D'Antoni will be a free agent this summer and the Nets are also searching for a head coach, and Berman notes that both teams are in play for Thibs as well.

SOURCE: NY Post
May 5, 2020, 11:19 AM ET
minimus
RealGM

Post#33 » by minimus » Thu May 7, 2020 2:30 pm

Is Ryan allowed to coach? He is the youngest HC in league and might not be in COVID-19 risk group. For instance Mike D'Antoni is 68 yo.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#34 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 9, 2020 1:25 am

minimus wrote:Is Ryan allowed to coach? He is the youngest HC in league and might not be in COVID-19 risk group. For instance Mike D'Antoni is 68 yo.

Give me D'Antoni every time.
minimus
RealGM

Post#35 » by minimus » Mon May 18, 2020 1:14 pm

In last Athletic article about DLo, Russell said that he does not give Kenny Atkinson credit for his development/success. That probably means no Kenny Atkinson here...
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,178

Post#36 » by Neeva » Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm

minimus wrote:In last Athletic article about DLo, Russell said that he does not give Kenny Atkinson credit for his development/success. That probably means no Kenny Atkinson here...

That’s fine lets get D’Antoni.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Klomp » Mon May 18, 2020 6:22 pm

minimus wrote:In last Athletic article about DLo, Russell said that he does not give Kenny Atkinson credit for his development/success. That probably means no Kenny Atkinson here...

The organizational structure in Brooklyn was a welcome change from the disorder in Los Angeles. Nets coach Kenny Atkinson challenged Russell, keeping him on the bench early in his stay there before he was pressed into action due to injuries in the backcourt ahead of him. Those around Russell viewed the accountability-laced approach as similar to his experience in high school that jumpstarted his career.

“Brooklyn was a place that he needed as well as Brooklyn needed him,” Antonio Russell Jr., D’Angelo’s older brother, said. “They were able to mold each other and build each other up.”

Looking back on it, D’Angelo isn’t ready to give Atkinson all the credit. In his eyes, Atkinson only went to him as a last resort, when Caris LeVert and Spencer Dinwiddie were injured.

“I’m not going to give it to Kenny,” he said. “I still don’t think he knew what he had, honestly. I don’t think he knew what I was capable of in the fourth quarter.”

https://theathletic.com/1755906/2020/05/14/dangelo-russell-timberwolves-basketball-odyssey-warriors-nets-lakers/
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#38 » by Dewey » Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 pm

I'll stay with Michael Jordans opinion, "Players win games - Coaches manage" ...

In general, people seem to think Ryan is a good development coach and thats kinda where we are at - and possibly drafting 2 more rookies. As the players develop, Rosa has to discover if Ryan is progressing as well in terms of player development, managing games, and ultimately winning.

IMO, we are still trying to put a legit starting 5 on the floor and add depth ... I'm not into what coach can take us where until we have players.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#39 » by Jedzz » Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am

Klomp wrote:

The organizational structure in Brooklyn was a welcome change from the disorder in Los Angeles. Nets coach Kenny Atkinson challenged Russell, keeping him on the bench early in his stay there before he was pressed into action due to injuries in the backcourt ahead of him. Those around Russell viewed the accountability-laced approach as similar to his experience in high school that jumpstarted his career.

“Brooklyn was a place that he needed as well as Brooklyn needed him,” Antonio Russell Jr., D’Angelo’s older brother, said. “They were able to mold each other and build each other up.”

Looking back on it, D’Angelo isn’t ready to give Atkinson all the credit. In his eyes, Atkinson only went to him as a last resort, when Caris LeVert and Spencer Dinwiddie were injured.

“I’m not going to give it to Kenny,” he said. “I still don’t think he knew what he had, honestly. I don’t think he knew what I was capable of in the fourth quarter.”

https://theathletic.com/1755906/2020/05/14/dangelo-russell-timberwolves-basketball-odyssey-warriors-nets-lakers/

Making a player want to prove something. Not a bad thing.
Creating an environment where known vets play and new young additions earn and prove they deserve the spot, not get handed a starting spot, is the best way to build a winning team if you aren't buying a bunch of proven players all at once. This creates a system of development, and an environment of competition.

There is often going to be a player or many players that feel snubbed, but it's their choice to keep working hard within that system and earn more there or hopefully catch on elsewhere to prove them all wrong.

Wiggins never had to utter such words or think in such a way. Never had to compete to earn time or anything. Just instant starting regardless of play. Same with Kat and many Timberwolves draft picks down through history now. And we wonder, where is that 4th quarter desire and magic other teams show. Where do they dig that extra out of? Where is that will to fight for the win? Most of the time it has got to be learned with time and pressures. Lebron wasn't always a winner willing to give enough in the playoffs. It was the pressure of failures to finish that finally forced a little more out of him. Not to forget forcing a bunch of superteam creations. But this impacts players of any sport. The difference between Brady and Peyton Manning? One was snubbed early on and worked for even a role to play at all. The other was handed everything. Turns out one learned right away how to fight to the end ftw, for the starting job itself. The other handed everything struggled for years to find the will to win it all. The Colts later turned around and sucked for Luck, handing him everything and again where was the will to win in the playoffs? It's just not there yet. As far as some of these players know there is always next season and free starts. They have an idea of how long a career they might have regardless. The pressure just wasn't there to dig for more yet. Sadly the NBA has annual Sucks for Luck from many teams and some of them start their shiny new players blindly and some of those players have no idea how to dig down to truly win yet. Hi there Simmons and Embiid.

Wiggin's first sign of pressure starting to mount on him was last offseason and it was outside peer pressure. This finally coming long after his first rookie deal played out. What follows is his first offseason of his career working towards becoming anything more, and immediately there starts to be visible payoff in games. There was no environment on the team to force him to do it any sooner and it is a shame. Atkinson should read those words from Dlo now and understand he did something right. There is a spark in all that friction whether Dlo realizes it or not. Hopefully the Timberwolves benefit from it still carrying forward. I'm just guessing here when I say it is pretty rare to find an ultra competitor with all the gifts already who is ready to go from the first season on. How many Steph Curry or Michael Jordon's are there? Not many. Some have to be given a reason to be and the best way is forcing them to earn their stripes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:15 pm

I am and always been a huge fan. He's one of the true innovative coaches in league and I think there's no one better in adapting his style to his best player's skillset. He would build an absolute juggernaught offense around KAT.

I've been very strongly in the "Keep Ryan as coach" camp, but just thinking today how the current roster would be a pretty easy fit for a D'Antoni system if Houston were still to move on from him. There wouldn't need to be an overhaul. I do think the team could make a decent jump if this change was made.

Now is that prioritized right now? Is it the right move to hire a 69-year old coach? That's a harder question to answer.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves